BT Sport coverage Darlo vs. Walsall

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

feethamslad
Team Supported: Darlington

BT Sport coverage Darlo vs. Walsall

Post by feethamslad » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:56 pm

I was fortunate to be at the game.

I don't have BT Sport and wondered for those that did view the coverage what their impressions were. How were we as a team and as a Club portayed?

Darlo_Pete

Re: BT Sport coverage Darlo vs. Walsall

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:20 pm

I heard that Marco Gabbiadini was a guest summariser on the programme, but I messed up recording the programme, so didn't see it like you.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:26 pm

It was nice actually. Gabbiadini and Danny Cowley were the guests at the start and they were quite respectful. Gabbiadini making the point that many of ours players have played at higher levels and they wouldnt be far off pro.

divas

Post by divas » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:54 pm

They were obviously hoping for the upset so we’re biased towards Darlo a bit which was nice. The fan ownership came across well. The club came out of it with a lot of positive PR overall

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:27 pm

One of the guys near me was trying to feed Marco a couple of lines about BTB as we were fortunate enough to be stood right by where he and Danny Cowley were doing their pieces to camera. I don't know whether that was covered or not as it was hard to pick up much of what they were saying, but you could tell that the tone and sentiments were positive anyway.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:23 am

Thought they said it just about right all night. Virgo is of course long term none league so he knows what he is talking about. The 1 thing I would query, and it has been said on here as well, was that we ran out of legs towards the end. I thought we more ran out of idea's when we got 30 yards out. How anyone can say anyone's legs went is beyond me as we more than matched Walsall throughout.
I am openly not a Gabbiadini fan, but he was respectful and said nothing wrong. Cowley gave a few good insights.
Unless I missed it BTB was not mentioned.
The ground looked good, though Gabby gave the impression the tinshed was in entirety the old 1 from Feethams.
Only real shock to me was the lighting. I thought it looked very dark club house side. To hear that BT put in extra lights for the camera's is a bit disturbing. Makes me wonder what is our lux value and would it need to be upped to get into the National league?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:29 am

Quite often during a night match, the ball more or less disappears when a keeper hits the ball high into the air. On Wednesday evening one keeper kicked the ball really high & you could see it perfectly. I guess it's down to priorities & adding it to a long list of things that need to be improved. I'd imagine we'll only improve them when it is necessary & certainly when our long term future at Blackwell meadows is far from resolved.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:36 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:23 am
Thought they said it just about right all night. Virgo is of course long term none league so he knows what he is talking about. The 1 thing I would query, and it has been said on here as well, was that we ran out of legs towards the end. I thought we more ran out of idea's when we got 30 yards out. How anyone can say anyone's legs went is beyond me as we more than matched Walsall throughout.
I am openly not a Gabbiadini fan, but he was respectful and said nothing wrong. Cowley gave a few good insights.
The ground looked good, though Gabby gave the impression the tinshed was in entirety the old 1 from Feethams.
Only real shock to me was the lighting. I thought it looked very dark club house side. To hear that BT put in extra lights for the camera's is a bit disturbing. Makes me wonder what is our lux value and would it need to be upped to get into the National league?
There was no additional floodlighting provided by BT.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:46 pm

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:36 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Where did the extra lights come from then? Certainly some extras behind the seating stand and also when the teams came onto the pitch.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:06 pm

We came across well. I had some friends over who knew nowt about us, and i didn't have to explain too much, so that's a sign they did something right.

I thought the ground did look good, apart from the open end (which was also weirdly empty when the rest of the ground looked packed - it should've maybe been communicated a bit better home fans could get down that end).

aveda

Post by aveda » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:11 pm

H1987 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:06 pm
We came across well. I had some friends over who knew nowt about us, and i didn't have to explain too much, so that's a sign they did something right.

I thought the ground did look good, apart from the open end (which was also weirdly empty when the rest of the ground looked packed - it should've maybe been communicated a bit better home fans could get down that end).
Scott announced it every five minutes from about 6.45

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:17 pm

aveda wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:11 pm
H1987 wrote:

The problem was that it wasn't announced on kick-off or if it was I didn't hear it & the crush at the front only happened as the game was kicking off. Stewards should have cleared the area & told fans to go to the other end. Then stewards could have occupied that area & so prevented fans encroaching on the pitch at the end.

aveda

Post by aveda » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:20 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:17 pm
aveda wrote:
H1987 wrote:

The problem was that it wasn't announced on kick-off or if it was I didn't hear it & the crush at the front only happened as the game was kicking off. Stewards should have cleared the area & told fans to go to the other end. Then stewards could have occupied that area & so prevented fans encroaching on the pitch at the end.
At the risk of repeating myself, Scott announced it very five minutes for about an hour over the speakers. You're clearly on a mission to put the club down on a night that most other people see as a PR success. It's pathetic

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:24 pm

aveda wrote:
H1987 wrote:

Yeah but apart from annoucing it near constantly, what did the club do :lol:

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:26 pm

think I heard Scott announce it about 6 times with the aim of removing the congestion

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:29 pm

Also, from the highlights, the open ended looked in places to have 2 deep standing, which isn't bad for the worst view in the ground.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:10 pm

jjljks wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:46 pm
Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:36 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Where did the extra lights come from then? Certainly some extras behind the seating stand and also when the teams came onto the pitch.
Look at the official highlights, the only lighting in addition to floodlights on the stand is the amenity lighting within the stand.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:15 pm

D_F_C wrote:think I heard Scott announce it about 6 times with the aim of removing the congestion
Don't know what else Scott could have done, I heard it plenty of times.These are volunteers Pete, give them some credit for god's sake.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:27 pm

We couldn't get there so watched it. Very pleased with what was said, DJ interviewed prior to kick off and came over very well. One of the dfcsg lads interviewed and lots of talk about Fan ownership and that the fans had raised 1.4 million. Thought it was all done very well and respectful of us as a club. Ground looked good and we played well. Lots of my mates sad we've gone out!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:59 pm

Fair enough. Obviously i'm not privy to such announcements watching on TV, but it looked a little strange. There was still empty space at the back next to the fence! If i was squeezed in on the flat somewhere, i'd have been off there like a shot instead.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:47 pm

Pete ,what the hell have the volunteer stewards done to you
You have done nothing but snipe and criticise the volunteer,s since the game Wednesday night give it a rest
For crying out loud, if you can organize, /do a better job show it by applying via DFCSG ,i'm sure they would be very grateful of the help, maybe then you won't criticise or snipe at our fantastic UNPAID VOLUNTEERS.who do a very good job under what can be difficult circumstances.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:18 pm

onewayup wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:47 pm
Pete ,what the hell have the volunteer stewards done to you
You have done nothing but snipe and criticise the volunteer,s since the game Wednesday night give it a rest
For crying out loud, if you can organize, /do a better job show it by applying via DFCSG ,i'm sure they would be very grateful of the help, maybe then you won't criticise or snipe at our fantastic UNPAID VOLUNTEERS.who do a very good job under what can be difficult circumstances.
I'm not on about the volunteer stewards, who I agree do an excellent job. It was the stewards that we will have paid at least £50 for the evening, who just stood there & did absolutely nothing. They may as well not have been there. They didn't even try to move people from the standing area in front of the tinshed.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:46 pm

I think you should email the (our) club regarding this. Presumably there will be discussions about lessons we can learn from the experience and as you were obviously stood amongst the shenanigans you will have something to contribute. This will help to ensure a better outcome in the future. Maybe we should have put the Banktop 200 or the under 5's in there to sort it!

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:58 pm

Pete, where do you get this paid 50 quid from i think you're of the mark it's probably and i don't know for certain around 30 quid ,i wouldn't try to move anyone in an atmosphere like it was Wednesday you would likely get mobbed by the cretins ,and it wouldn't be nice.

FozzQuaker

Post by FozzQuaker » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:02 pm

D_F_C wrote:think I heard Scott announce it about 6 times with the aim of removing the congestion
Even my Dad heard it being announced and he claims to be going deaf Image

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:21 pm

To me Pete has a point, the stewards were ineffective but were they told to keep a low profile?

Were they merely following the instructions they were given by the club or some stewarding overlord? I've seen stewards wading in to football crowds before and it never ends well, it always looks scruffy and things move in the wrong direction.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:28 pm

just on the stewards. I didn't see any stewards until kick off was approaching (or perhaps had started).

Do the stewards not do the car park, and when that's done, come into the ground? Therefore by the time they'd come into the ground there was already too many people stood there?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:32 pm

No I think the car park stewards stay outside. The stewards in the ground were probably just sat on there hands waiting for the game to start & counting there pay checks for doing nowt.