Darlington v Gainsborough Trinity FA Trophy

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Gainsborough Trinity FA Trophy

Post by divas » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:49 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:16 pm
LoidLucan wrote:Sounds like there could be fresh legs on the way which will help.
Heard the same from a pretty reliable source.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
AA mentioned it is his PMI. Don’t get much more reliable than that!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:13 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:09 pm
Old Git wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:05 pm
Donowa
Looked sharp when he came on and scored a cracker.Surely done enough to justify a run in the team given our lack of firepower up front.
Quite possibly but who you dropping to get him in the team?
Why do people always say this, as if it is almost ridiculous to suggest that one of the goal shy front 3 should be dropped? The bottom line is we are playing without a single "proper" striker. I'm not saying that Donawa is the answer to the "proper striker" question, but if we are going to try him in that role then someone needs to be rested.

Campbell has the most goals with 7, Thommo and Rivers have a couple each I think, but realistically they are attacking midfelders/wingers so we shouldn't be expecting prolific tallies from them.

If Wheatley struggles to be fit next week - if we stick with the 4-3-3/4-5-1 and 3 centre midfielders, then Bascombe would slot in for Wheatley and who do you drop out of Campbell, Thompson or Rivers to play Donawa (Regardless of whether he is on the wing, or playing as the centre forward)? I think it would just be a case of looking at who would appreciate a match off the most, who looks the most tired, after the cup run.

If Wheatley isn't fit, of course we could go 4-4-2, with just 2 centre midfielders rather than 3 - then you could maybe have Donawa and Campbell as your front two, with Thompson and Rivers wide.

I'm surprised that we didn't give Bascombe and Donawa starts today, to be honest.
I’m not, given two days previously they were in a different continent on international duty.

Next week, with proper rest and recovery, I could see either or both of them coming into a 4-3-3 if needed.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:01 am

Tough game for us, so nice to get through to next round.
Scaffolding for the TV was still there as a grim reminder of what could have been......

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:03 am

Really surprised at the quality of Gainsborough considering they are 2nd bottom, non league football is light years ahead of the standard 5-10 years ago, the gap is closing rapidly with FL clubs, certainly no easy games in our league.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:18 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:01 pm
super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:09 pm
Old Git wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:05 pm
Donowa
Looked sharp when he came on and scored a cracker.Surely done enough to justify a run in the team given our lack of firepower up front.
Quite possibly but who you dropping to get him in the team?
Why do people always say this, as if it is almost ridiculous to suggest that one of the goal shy front 3 should be dropped? The bottom line is we are playing without a single "proper" striker. I'm not saying that Donawa is the answer to the "proper striker" question, but if we are going to try him in that role then someone needs to be rested.
Don't take it the wrong way, I wasn't suggesting that we can't make the change. The point was more if anyone is saying Donawa must start then we have to remove someone from the first 11, just for me if you are making a change to add a player in you should understand who we are dropping out.

Donawa has 4 goals and all have come as sub, to be fair he has only started 2 games.
Thompson has 5 and 2 are pens.
Campbell has 7 and 1 was a pen.
Rivers has 2, so in terms of goal threat Donawa is probably the sharpest, however does he benefit by coming on against tired defences - that's what we would find out.

Yesterday I thought Lambert played quite well, however not sure the formation as a team worked and we missed Wheatley a little, against a better team that could be an issue. I also don't think you can drop Thompson as he is the only one the ball sticks with upfront now O'Neill has gone.

Anyhow over to AA, but it seems to be either Rivers or Campbell to drop to get Donawa in the team and those two put an awful lot of work in for the team.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:31 am

Some don’t understand the work which Campbell puts in for the side, and just what a clever player he is at times. 7 goals & 6 assists before he had to be moved out-wide to balance the side out in the middle.

We look like an efficient team, just missing that centre-forward who can do a bit of everything. Certainly can’t lay the blame at Campbell, like some have, when he was doing quite good prior to O’Neill departing.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:48 pm

Don't think anyone will say Campbell isn't a 100%player, as has been said it's the actual position he's playing that is hampering his goal scoring. He's a worker for the team. We need a big centre front man for Campbell and thomo to play off but they are very hard to find and expensive. AA is doing his level best to get the right person for the role.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:00 pm

I’ve been saying for a while that Donowa should be starting... and really now has to be the time. He’s an immense talent, and honestly, I’m not slagging Campbell off, but given the respective form of the two players, I’d be giving Donowa a game ahead of him for now.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:38 pm

Be careful what you wish for. You won't realise what he contributes until he isn't there! How often was it said that Leon Scott should be dropped? How often did he end up back in the team? We thought we wouldn't miss Turbull as "his legs had gone" according to some, same with Brown, yet they were exactly the type of players we missed last season.
I would persevere with Campbell but would play him more central.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:31 pm

Surely developing players and looking to sell them to full time teams for a decent profit is essential to our club.Donawa will not develop sitting on our bench he needs plenty of game time and exposure.He looks to me to be our best potential asset right now and was deemed good enough to start for Bermuda against Mexico.He is presumably here to try to break into professional football with an English club and that is mutually beneficial .As well as making us money he could enhance our reputation as a good team to join to get noticed.Of course he can only play if he is good enough but how do we know without giving the lad a decent shot?

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:36 pm

loan_star wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:38 pm
Be careful what you wish for. You won't realise what he contributes until he isn't there! How often was it said that Leon Scott should be dropped? How often did he end up back in the team? We thought we wouldn't miss Turbull as "his legs had gone" according to some, same with Brown, yet they were exactly the type of players we missed last season.
I would persevere with Campbell but would play him more central.
He’s had loads of chances to play centrally already, and he’s bang out of form. I’m not saying sell him, but stick him on the bench and give Donowa a chance. His goals to minutes ratio must be way better right now.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:39 pm

H1987 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:00 pm
I’ve been saying for a while that Donowa should be starting... and really now has to be the time. He’s an immense talent, and honestly, I’m not slagging Campbell off, but given the respective form of the two players, I’d be giving Donowa a game ahead of him for now.
Seems strange to call for a change in starting 11, when we were on a great 8/9 match run (exception of Brackley).

It it aint broke...

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:01 pm

We've won 1 in our last 4 and that win was us scraping home against a team 2nd bottom of the league below.

Goalscoring is a problem, we average basically one goal per game, and every match is a struggle to put the ball in the net - as AA has alluded to a few times, it's like we have to work our nads off for each goal whereas the opposition seem to take their chances when they come along.

So while you say if it ain't broke, I say that goalscoring is broke - although actually doing anything about it is a different matter altogether. If we can't get a loan forward in who will improve us, then do we have anything to lose by trying Donawa up top for a couple of matches. He's certainly proved that he can finish his chances?

Don't get me wrong, we can all see that this team is better than the one from last year - better football, much harder working etc. But if those work levels drop slightly, the lack of ability to grab goals when needed could come back and bite us.

Darlogramps

Darlington v Gainsborough Trinity FA Trophy

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:28 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:We've won 1 in our last 4 and that win was us scraping home against a team 2nd bottom of the league below.
I’m sorry but this is such a selective take, twisted to suit your own viewpoints. It’s not actually reflective of reality.

Two of these games were the Walsall matches, where we performed well against a full time side two divisions above us.

The other was Brackley where we shocking, but by all accounts was a one-off. And even with a good performance, you’re doing well to win at Brackley.

This kind of selective interpretation really undermines the credibility of your argument.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:48 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:28 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:We've won 1 in our last 4 and that win was us scraping home against a team 2nd bottom of the league below.
I’m sorry but this is such a selective take, twisted to suit your own viewpoints. It’s not actually reflective of reality.

Two of these games were the Walsall matches, where we performed well against a full time side two divisions above us.

The other was Brackley where we shocking, but by all accounts was a one-off. And even with a good performance, you’re doing well to win at Brackley.

This kind of selective interpretation really undermines the credibility of your argument.
Ignore the 1 in 4.

We're not scoring enough - yes or no? We don't really ever look like scoring freely - yes or no? We don't carve out many clear cut chances despite all of the excellent possession and nice football - yes or no? The manager agrees that we need someone who can get in the box and score - yes or no? Is it worth giving Donawa a shot up top - yes or no.

And that was my point, we're struggling to bring someone in for various reasons, surely we've got nothing to lose by trying JD. If it fails then we're just as we are.

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:30 pm

Definitely have to agree that Donowa deserves a chance to start, in the near future. We are playing excellent football and barring Brackley, look defensively solid. However, we are struggling to score goals and Donowa, although still very raw, has done enough to be pushing for a start.
Craig Liddle is God!!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:30 am

I don't think it's odd to call for a change at all. Yes, we're in pretty good form generally (if we count the 5-1 whupping as a one off, which I hope it is).

However, some have been scraped, narrow games, and Campbell isn't in form. Donowa is. Rather than 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', i'd argue 'standing still is the fastest way of moving backwards'. There's room for improvement and positive changes, lets give them a go. No one is suggesting whole scale changes, but trying one in form attacker ahead of an out of form one is totally reasonable.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:11 am

Not particularly against giving Donawa an opportunity as he has done well when he's come on, but tbh it screams to me of square pegs in round holes and I don't see it producing much different results as to whether Thompson or Campbell was at the head of our attack. Still we will miss that larger presence who will be able to hold the ball up and bring others into the game. In this sense the attacking players we have are slightly unbalanced, Thompson, Rivers, Holmes, Campbell, Donawa all good options but none of them particularly able to 'lead the line' on their own, admittedly we are likely carrying one more of them than we otherwise would because of the injury to Holmes and the situation becomes more severe when Donawa is called up for international duty.

Armstrong knows what we're missing and I have full confidence in him that he is looking for the right kind of player. After all he identified and brought in O'Neill who was great once we moved to the 4-3-3 formation. I'm happy that the club hasn't returned to the Martin Gray days of just going out a spending whatever on the best in the league, as we did with Liam Hardy (we couldn't afford to then and we can't now). Unfortunately, for now it means some short term pain while we look around for a bit of a rough diamond from the leagues below ala Alex Storey or a player on loan as O'Neill was. Gary Martin is rumoured to be coming in in January for a few months, I've never seen him play so can't attest to the type of striker he is (anyone any observations?), looking at his profile says he's 5"11 so not the biggest but again can't comment on his style of play or ability.

Brackley was a flash in the pan result, which was compounded by changing formation to 5-3-2 which Armstrong admitted they hadn't really had time to implement properly (it really showed on the day, they ran in behind the wingbacks for fun and the CB's had no idea who to pick up / pass on) and the massive FA cup match looming that none of the players wanted to be injured for. The move to 4-3-3 has presented a general uplift in form and results mainly by making us a bit more solid defensively with the extra midfield cover (can also give credit to Storey and Connell for some of that), now just need to replace the goals and threat of O'Neill. Still plenty of time left in the season to build on the early season positivity and cup success.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:59 pm

Would be very happy if we get Gary Martin in. I think his record speaks for itself really.

I think it's not a bad idea that we look to work with what we have first before spending money though. Martin would presumably be a loan from his Icelandic club, which is why he can't come in until January, right? I wouldn't even mind us taking another look at Kneeshaw. Our bench is notably empty lately, and he's obviously been training with us after his injury. Pay as you play, non contract terms would do, if he's fit and willing. The other option is Bell of course, who i'm surprised has had such little action to be honest (it seems a bit mad him being out on loan with O'Neill being recalled, so i'd think as soon as we can call him back, we maybe will?).

I think we can maybe look at mixing it up, but i'd assume the basic model is 4-3-3, as our central midfield 3 looks pretty set right now, with some quality options in terms of Lambert and Bascome. I think the front 3 could potentially be quite interchangeable. Now we don't have O'Neill there's no obvious 'line leader' but that doesn't mean they can't play some dynamic interchange between them. I know sometimes it's nice to have a hold up option, but we don't *have* to play in that way. We might just need to be creative with what we've got.

I fully back AA either way. He clearly wants a line leading striker, and it might be Martin in January. In the meantime, we're gonna have to work with what we've got by the looks of it. Maybe it'll take a tweak in playing style to achieve, but I think a forward line with any 3 of Donowa, Campbell, Thomspon and Rivers is enough to cause this league some problems. We could maybe use someone else in that mix, to give us more options, but the budget is what it is. Thankfully most other parts of the pitch we seem pretty well covered right now.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:47 pm

Isn't Kneeshaw still coming back to fitness? I suspect he will be with us once fit.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:28 am

He was warming up on the pitch the other week, so you'd assume so. I'd guess he's maybe training with us, based on that.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:34 pm

Any news/ rumours on the fresh legs that AA alluded to in his post match interview? Anyone.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:29 pm

No, but I'm hoping Bell and Holliday are recalled, particularly Bell who may deserve a chance as a sub.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:23 pm

H1987 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:28 am
He was warming up on the pitch the other week, so you'd assume so. I'd guess he's maybe training with us, based on that.
Sure Kneeshaw was sat behind me v Walsall, was talking about an injury to his mate so think it was him.

Was going to have a chat at the end but he left early to go towards the clubhouse so missed my chance.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:30 pm

While we're on, any news on the other long term injuries? Atkinson, Trotman and Holmes. I wonder if Luke said anything when he was guest commentator at Brackley?