O'Neill recalled

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Mister e
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: O'Neill recalled

Post by Mister e » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:41 pm

loan_star wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:49 pm
3 weekends now that O'Neill has been kicking his heels. He would have benefited more staying at Darlo for the duration of the agreed loan at least.
And we might have actually beat Walsall first time round.... Because of the way woodgate has behaved towards us and the player I actually hope Boro get relegated now.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:13 pm

Mister e wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:41 pm
loan_star wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:49 pm
3 weekends now that O'Neill has been kicking his heels. He would have benefited more staying at Darlo for the duration of the agreed loan at least.
And we might have actually beat Walsall first time round.... Because of the way woodgate has behaved towards us and the player I actually hope Boro get relegated now.
I am can well understand your sentiments regarding Woodgate because his recall of O’Neill was very poorly thought out in my opinion. Obviously detrimental to us but also to his own player as he missed what would have been the biggest game of his career so far against Walsall and the chance to test himself against full time pros.He warmed the bench at QPR and then kicked his heels for 2 weeks during the international break. He could also have played at Brackley and in the replay v Walsall again furthering his experience.
Looks to me like a must win game for Boro on Wednesday night at home to Barnsley.Fail to win that and it could be the end for Woodgate and I’ll feel no pity for him. Boro need someone to guide them out of their mess and I doubt he has the ability to do it.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:34 pm

loan_star wrote:3 weekends now that O'Neill has been kicking his heels. He would have benefited more staying at Darlo for the duration of the agreed loan at least.
He is a rookie manager out of his depth IMO.As AA mentioned in his post match interview, the BT coverage of our game will make clubs aware of the high standard of non league football and clubs can see how it will benefit loaning players to get game time at a very good level.Sadly Woodgate thinks it more beneficial to the lad to sit him on his backside and watch as Boro slide towards League 1.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:54 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:34 pm
loan_star wrote:3 weekends now that O'Neill has been kicking his heels. He would have benefited more staying at Darlo for the duration of the agreed loan at least.
He is a rookie manager out of his depth IMO.As AA mentioned in his post match interview, the BT coverage of our game will make clubs aware of the high standard of non league football and clubs can see how it will benefit loaning players to get game time at a very good level.Sadly Woodgate thinks it more beneficial to the lad to sit him on his backside and watch as Boro slide towards League 1.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
Or just possibly he has to have bodies on the bench but does not want to use them as he knows they are not ready. Much as we did a lot last season in fact.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:31 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:54 pm

Or just possibly he has to have bodies on the bench but does not want to use them as he knows they are not ready. Much as we did a lot last season in fact.
He has other bodies he could be using. One is a striker the same age as O'Neill who wasn't already out on loan but he had a stinker in his last game before the QPR match so Woodgate refused to consider him.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:42 pm

On the other side of the coin O'Neill will be delighted to be training with the Boro first team and in the match-day squads for Championship games. He probably never dreamt that would happen so soon when he went out on loan to a non-league club and it takes him close to his Boro debut.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:00 pm

loan_star wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:31 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:54 pm

He has other bodies he could be using. One is a striker the same age as O'Neill who wasn't already out on loan but he had a stinker in his last game before the QPR match so Woodgate refused to consider him.
So he gave someone a chance, they were not up to it, so he looks elsewhere. Seems reasonably logical to me.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:39 pm

Woodgate's day are numbered, I just hope they don't have a bounce when a new manager is appointed.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:45 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:39 pm
Woodgate's day are numbered, I just hope they don't have a bounce when a new manager is appointed.
Dear me Middlesbrough another of the clubs on your list or do you just wish ill on all other clubs?

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:41 pm

When I first heard he was going back to Boro a couple of days before the first Walsall game I was seriously disappointed, (and at first wonderred if he may be mates with Walsall manager Clarke and was helping him keep his job), but was able to counter that with being pleased for the lad at getting a chance to play for Boro. Not getting a game is a real disappointment for him and wonder what his answer would be if asked if he would have chosen to play for us or sit on the Boro bench.

Talking to a few other fans they believed as I do that if O'Neil had stayed with us we would have won the replay. Given that £36k for winning and I had heard that BT would have considerred television our game against Oxford, (heard from someone who was talking to the BT staff on site), £75k for the tv, plus attendance money for Oxford game, Woodgare's decision potentially cost us over £120k. Big money for us, (of course I realise that we could have won first game, or still lost replay but I really do believe O'Neil would have made that bit of difference).
Still we are where we are, and I personally don't want middlesbrough to get relegated, (have few friends and relatives who support them), but Woodgate I have no such regard for, as I think in the end he has done a dis service to the lad.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:42 pm

Really don’t get this this crap being directed at Boro. O’Neill is their player,Woodgate thought he was short of bodies and so called him back.Yes the timing was shite for us but that’s the danger with loan players.
Pears,Hemings,and O’Neill .Three good players we have been fortunate enough to get from Boro,so for dicks like Pete to wish them bad luck is out of order.
Hopefully no one from Boro reads this board and our relationship with them continues.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:52 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:42 pm
Really don’t get this this crap being directed at Boro. O’Neill is their player,Woodgate thought he was short of bodies and so called him back.Yes the timing was shite for us but that’s the danger with loan players.
Pears,Hemings,and O’Neill .Three good players we have been fortunate enough to get from Boro,so for dicks like Pete to wish them bad luck is out of order.
Hopefully no one from Boro reads this board and our relationship with them continues.
Very much doubt anybody from Boro reads this not sure many of them can read !

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:55 pm

Agreed. We benefit from this relationship but have to accept that loan players come with strings attached. Imagine if we had no available striker but decided against getting one back from a loan at a club four divisions below ours - our fans would go ballistic.

Frankly I think woodgate is doing a pretty bad job, albeit in tough circumstances, but I have no reason to want boro to do badly, and every time a player comes to us and does well it increases the chances of us getting more good young players.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:52 pm

50 years wrote:When I first heard he was going back to Boro a couple of days before the first Walsall game I was seriously disappointed, (and at first wonderred if he may be mates with Walsall manager Clarke and was helping him keep his job), but was able to counter that with being pleased for the lad at getting a chance to play for Boro. Not getting a game is a real disappointment for him and wonder what his answer would be if asked if he would have chosen to play for us or sit on the Boro bench.

Talking to a few other fans they believed as I do that if O'Neil had stayed with us we would have won the replay. Given that £36k for winning and I had heard that BT would have considerred television our game against Oxford, (heard from someone who was talking to the BT staff on site), £75k for the tv, plus attendance money for Oxford game, Woodgare's decision potentially cost us over £120k. Big money for us, (of course I realise that we could have won first game, or still lost replay but I really do believe O'Neil would have made that bit of difference).
Still we are where we are, and I personally don't want middlesbrough to get relegated, (have few friends and relatives who support them), but Woodgate I have no such regard for, as I think in the end he has done a dis service to the lad.
BT Sport had already announced their 3 games to televise prior to our replay so that doesn’t ring true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:57 pm

That is true they did, but who knows they may well be able to change or add if they think there is enough interest, I don't actually know exactly but there are always things that happen that are not expected, much like us having an FA cup run😅

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:26 am

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:45 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:39 pm
Dear me Middlesbrough another of the clubs on your list or do you just wish ill on all other clubs?
Call them by their proper name Port Darlington please. :lol:

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:42 am

If O'Neill isn't getting at least a place on the bench, then I can't understand why Woodgate would not loan him again to us as he was making great progress & fitted in well with our team.

Darlogramps

O'Neill recalled

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:15 am

50 years wrote:That is true they did, but who knows they may well be able to change or add if they think there is enough interest, I don't actually know exactly but there are always things that happen that are not expected, much like us having an FA cup runImage
Nope, they can’t change televised fixtures once they’ve announced the games, given the level of planning involved.

Other clubs will have already made arrangements to accommodate TV (organising staffing, policing, stewarding etc) so the companies can’t just drop the games.

Moreover, they wouldn’t just add a fixture as I think under the TV deal BT will have to cover the competition, there’s a certain number of games they can do (otherwise the BBC who also cover it, would kick off).

Potentially they might have brought it forward to a 2pm kick off on the Saturday so they could focus on it in a highlights programme, but we wouldn’t have had a full live televised game even if we’d won on Saturday.

Whoever was speaking to the BT staff was either making it up or badly misunderstood what was being said.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:20 am

What Gramps said plus the Sunday highlights package is a BBC programme anyway.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:37 am

Fair comment, I bow to others superior knowledge on the TV football rights and contracts, looking at what has been said it would appear impossible for BT to broadcast, I stand corrected.
Clearly I should not have listen to others, so revise loss down from £120k to say £50k (if we had won replay with O'Neil in).

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:31 pm

"That is true they did, but who knows they may well be able to change or add if they think there is enough interest"

The clamour across the nation for Darlington v Oxford to have been shown live would have been huge!

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:38 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:31 pm
The clamour across the nation for Darlington v Oxford to have been shown live would have been huge!
What is it with Darlo fans called Harry?

NLN v L1 would have been one of the more interesting fixtures from a TV producers viewpoint, had we giant killed Walsall - the "clamour" (or not) from the general public is irrelevant.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:33 am

I think you've missed the point. Probably het up over some club with a rich benefactor. The original post said that, had we beaten Walsall in the replay, then BT might have changed one of the games they had already announced they were televising, or added us as another game to the schedule, if they thought there was enough interest. Totally different to the scenario you have pointed out.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:53 pm

whilst it's been frustrating watching O'Neill watch games, he is their player and they had injuries. For the ones calling Woodgate and Boro, what is the first thing we did regarding the Walsall replay after we realised we were short of players. We looked for where Bell and Halliday were? They were on loan at a Northern League club and few fans would have hesitated to recall them (only we couldn't)

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:35 pm

Made his Boro debut today when coming on as a sub for the last 15 minutes against Leeds. But I'm not sure how much that will have helped his development as Boro were 4-0 down with their travelling fans in angry mood as their season goes from bad to worse. It's not a great environment for a young player. That's what you call a baptism of fire.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:55 pm

Does anybody know how long O'Neill has left on his contract, as if it runs out next year, I'd like to think that the lad would like to come to us for next season.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:00 pm

Cloud cuckoo land Pete

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:01 pm

We can always dream can't we?

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:43 pm

Noticed O'Neill went on after 70 minutes at Leeds but there was nothing of note in the report. The Boro dressing room must be a glum spot at the moment I'm sure it would be better for the lad back here and as they're likely to make big changes with their management team soon the club might let us have him again. It's hard for a young prospect on a troubled ship the good ship Quakers would be a better berth. Also we could score a few more goals again.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:03 am

Match report from Tyrones game yesterday

https://thegrassrootstourist.com/2019/1 ... alace-u23/