Darlington V Telford

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

bga
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Telford

Post by bga » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:34 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:08 am
Thought we were excellent first half, played some great passing football and should have been 4 up.Their goal straight after half time was poor from us and without doubt was the turning point but even deep into added time we were very unlucky not to make it 3-2.Still cannot believe we did not take the 3 points.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You see this to me is a complete contradiction. The fact we were not 4 nil up at HT suggests we cannot have been excellent surely?

grytters

Post by grytters » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:37 am

Quaker85 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:23 pm
Agreed. The sooner he gets to 100 the better. On a more cynical note, there were more Darlington “fans” at Walsall than BM today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
?
Bring Back the Quarters

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:38 am

Vokuhila wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:38 pm
I can't really comment on any potential offside for the second goal, but it should've been moot anyway as I was right opposite the free kick and the ball was clearly rolling when it was taken. Everyone in the vicinity could see it apart from two people apparently :roll:
I think the footage will surprise many when it comes out...ball was still and attacker was circa 3 yards onside.

grytters

Post by grytters » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:38 am

Ah.

Got it.

More Darlo fans at the Walsall match than there were at today's fixture.

Not "more Darlo fans at Walsall today."
Bring Back the Quarters

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:39 am

bga wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Thought we were excellent first half, played some great passing football and should have been 4 up.Their goal straight after half time was poor from us and without doubt was the turning point but even deep into added time we were very unlucky not to make it 3-2.Still cannot believe we did not take the 3 points.

You see this to me is a complete contradiction. The fact we were not 4 nil up at HT suggests we cannot have been excellent surely?
No, our first half performance WAS excellent IMO, one of the best I have seen at BM this season and yes we missed 3 good chances so a 5-1 HT score would not have flattered us.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:13 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:39 am
bga wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

No, our first half performance WAS excellent IMO, one of the best I have seen at BM this season and yes we missed 3 good chances so a 5-1 HT score would not have flattered us.

We will have to agree to disagree. I guess if we had been 5-1 up you would have to change your assessment to something better than excellent?

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:21 am

Really disappointing capitulation second half when we got ourselves in such a good position. Not good enough under any circumstances when we've got ourselves into a good position and points are precious.

Frustrating at the minute. In some ways so much better than last season. We have a clear game plan, we play good football, we've brought in some good players, but we're just missing 3 or so players that would really make a massive difference to this team. And of the three I personally think two were part of the puzzle at the start of the season.

CF - losing O'Neill has really hurt that 4-3-3 formation. Rare striker who was tall enough to draw players in but good enough with his feet to hold the ball and play for more than just the obligatory tall striker flick on. Before anyone starts, I know he's Boro's player and so this was always a risk but doesn't make it any less frustrating when he started to fire as a key piece of the puzzle.

RB - I have no doubt Trotman will be on a decent wage as part of Wrights reward scheme and over the summer being our most saleable asset. But we miss a fullback of that quality. Seeing what Liddle gives us down he left in defence and attack cant help but think we would look better in possession and create more chances if Trotman is in the team. Not a dig at Hedley think he has converted to a RB well, but Trotman was one of the best in the league no doubt and we miss him and the money tied up in paying his contract.

CB - we miss an Alan White style CB. Big nasty and vocal. He talked those around him through games, went and won his headers and kept things simple. We miss a big strong CB who continually communicates, Laing just isn't the right call for me, choice of Galbraith, Storey and that type of player would be good options.

Still trust Alun to build something good here, think we have most of the pieces in place. Just about making the best of what we have for now and trying to find that elusive striker. Will be interesting to see if someone became available would Alun wheel and deal to get players out and off the payroll and make it happen.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:21 am

I'm not sure I can agree with the premise that we can't be excellent because we only scored 2 goals?

I listened to fans radio yesterday, and was too frustrated to comment by the end. I thought we would add a load more in the second half, it didn't seem in doubt. Very disappointing. At least we can bounce back quickly this week.

carlodarlo

Post by carlodarlo » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:52 am

The first half was as good as I have seen this season. It was looking like a question of how many we will win by so to go from that to actually losing the game is hard to take. I think two things of our own doing contributed to our downfall. The third one is that Telford obviously had one hell of a bollocking and came out a different team but we can’t control what they do so il give my opinion on our own downfall.
The first is that we dropped our tempo to much, I get that when you are ahead you’re not going to run and take a quick goal kick or throwin, but we killed ourselves by going far to slow allowing Telford to get into shape and becoming much harder to play through than they were in the first half when we played with a great tempo and they couldn’t live with it. This slowing down of the game negatively impacted us rather than them in my opinion.
The second was that all our front players stopped wanting to run in behind. All three were wanting to drop and play in front of their defence when there was a lot of a space to go in behind and it’s easy to defend if all the play is in front of you. The lad that they brought on that scored their three goals did so as he just constantly made those in behind runs us. I can’t remember him getting involved in much build up, he just got in three times and didn’t miss. We need one of our forward lads at least to do this and even if he doesn’t get the ball he will create gaps. I see a lot of people saying we lack a big man to hit and I get the reasons behind that, but if our forward players we have were just a bit more direct and wanted to make these runs in behind then I think we’d be much more of a threat going forward than we were second half yesterday

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:30 pm

To me, second half, a lot of our players looked like they needed a rest. They seemed tired mentally as well as physically. The cup run seems to have taken a lot out of them and, while adrenalin will have helped keep them going in the cup, it’s not there in a league match. We desperately need more bodies for the Xmas period and if we can’t get loan players then is it time to try some of the youngsters. For all his faults TW did have a knack of finding good loanees at virtually no cost.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:31 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:14 am
Was that a little bit of a retort by AA in the post-match interview, when he said Justin Donawa didn't impact the 2nd half one little bit. Markedly different words from saying that someone faded a little. Sounds like he's saying 'That's why Donawa doesn't start.
I thought Armstrong was out of order with that too, particularly with his previous stance of "don't dig individuals out on the message boards". You can't have it both ways. Donawa was superb first half and still grafted and hassled in the second half. His overall contribution was still one of the best on the pitch. Basically, the centre of the pitch (midfield and defense, mainly defense) was worse than useless in the second half and Alun has singled out the two wingers. Love him and this team to bits, but I'm not with him at all on that part of the inquest.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:40 pm

To be honest I didn't really read into the comments as a dig at Thompson or Donawa more that their impact is an effect of a lack of performance by the rest of the team. Effectively I read it as they didn't have a chance to impact.

I've only seen the second goal so far and we do switch off completely. We should have stood over the ball for starters and secondly he just ghosts past our CBs.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:05 pm

bga wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:39 am
bga wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

We will have to agree to disagree. I guess if we had been 5-1 up you would have to change your assessment to something better than excellent?
Correct.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:33 pm

grytters wrote:Ah.

Got it.

More Darlo fans at the Walsall match than there were at today's fixture.

Not "more Darlo fans at Walsall today."
No Image

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:30 pm

onewayup wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:58 am
We have the players to compete in this league assembled by AA, it's just unfortunate that three of them are long term injuries. From very early in the season.
The players playing are knackered after tough games.
It's not as bad as some are making it out to be.
I think this three long term injury excuse is wearing a bit thin in all honesty. It was particularly notable because all three occurred around the same time,two in the same match v Gateshead if I remember correctly.Most teams will suffer with long term injuries during a long season and will deal with it. That’s why we need a squad of around 20 players or so.Its not like we have not been able to bring in replacements such as Hedley Storey Connell and Lambert. Of course we could do with a tall striker but good ones are hard to find.The current players have no more right to be anymore or less tired than other teams so stop making excuses when they underperform like yesterday.A A is doing a fair job and the cup run was great but I still maintain we are a good bit short of being serious playoff contenders and I believe that is fair comment.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:50 pm

Also did the Telford winner not come yet again after we screwed up yet another boring and predictable short corner routine allowing them to counter attack and catch us on the break like it or not at some point we're going to have to start playing ugly like several teams do in this league we're not Barcelona for heavens sake. I also agree with the poster on here who says it's time to blood one or two of our youngsters let them show what they can do hopefully guided along by our more senior players.

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:23 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:38 am
Vokuhila wrote:
I can't really comment on any potential offside for the second goal, but it should've been moot anyway as I was right opposite the free kick and the ball was clearly rolling when it was taken. Everyone in the vicinity could see it apart from two people apparently :roll:
I think the footage will surprise many when it comes out...ball was still and attacker was circa 3 yards onside.
Hmm, I think that's the referees' union talking there, lo! I had an unimpeded view from just a few yards away, and the ball was still rotating as it was struck.

Anyways, I'm not going to labour the point, as, let's be honest, it is a pretty dull one... :lol:

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:29 pm

In fairness to Armstrong he had to pretty much build a whole new team with not much of a budget and then has had some injuries to cope with.
Listening to his interviews I think he can see what the shortcomings of the squad are. I like what I have seen from the some of the players he has brought in.

The worry for me is that it feels at times like we need to play out of our skin to win games. We can look good in large patches without really looking like scoring - or without making the most of our spells with the ball and then we concede too easily. Basically not good enough at either end of the pitch to win consistently . . . . yet.

I am hopeful that he will strengthen the squad and we will improve.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:53 am

Vokuhila wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:23 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:38 am
Vokuhila wrote:
Hmm, I think that's the referees' union talking there, lo! I had an unimpeded view from just a few yards away, and the ball was still rotating as it was struck.

Anyways, I'm not going to labour the point, as, let's be honest, it is a pretty dull one... :lol:
Yeh to be honest the footage on our system only shows the view from the balcony and you can't see 'spin'. I mean the ball isnt rolling it is spinning - can see it on the behind the goal replay.

Not that it makes much difference in the scheme of things we are scraping if looking for a technicality when the problem was nobody even looking at the free kick being taken.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:06 am

We can criticise our defence for switching off completely, while still feeling aggrieved the officials didn't spot the ball wasn't stationary at the taking of the free kick. Defence failing to do the basics, the referee failing to do the basics.

Anyway, one of our best 45 mins of the season, and one of our worst. It's a funny old game!

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:29 am

After seeing the highlights we have nowt to whinge about. The ball had come to a stop before the lad took the free kick and the goal scorer was definitely onside and ran in behind while Storey and Laing were stood with their mouths open catching flies.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:35 am

Breedon wrote:After seeing the highlights we have nowt to whinge about. The ball had come to a stop before the lad took the free kick and the goal scorer was definitely onside and ran in behind while Storey and Laing were stood with their mouths open catching flies.
Just seen the highlights and our defence were all out of position for all 3 goals, acres of space to score, Hedley,Laing and Storey were nowhere where they should have been, you will see better defending than that in the NL.Laing just appears to lack strength and urgency in his game, very good in the air but needs to toughen up and Hedley had his worst game since joining us and probably a one off as he has looked solid enough.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

en passant

Post by en passant » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:04 pm

Whilst seeing the highlights uncover some notable failings from a number of our players, they also show what you get from a seasoned and regular goalscorer. We have any number of players who can create panic in opposing defences as they did in the first half, but to get full value out of this we could do with the sang froid displayed by Dinanga. He showed how much of a difference is made when you have someone with the natural instinct to sniff out an opportunity, and bet on yourself to be in the right place at the right time. Without him in the second half Darlo might well have survived the silly mistakes that led to all three goals and we might well have continued to confidently batter them as we did in the first period and come away with a comfortable win. I thought at half time that the plan would be to keep things quiet for the first 15 to 20 minutes and frustrate any signs of a comeback, and gifting a goal so early was bound to shake our confidence and give them a boost. But where we really lost out was being panicked by this into rushing our attacking play and frequently passing to no one or giving difficult balls to our forwards, so that possession was too easily lost, giving additional momentum to their resurgence. The dark and the cold seemed to also suck the life and belief out of our players and every misplaced pass or failure to control a ball had that feeling that we would inevitably surrender. At that point and before Telford drew level, there was a need to give the side a lift and that would usually mean getting some freshness on the field from the bench, but it would appear that we still have limited resources to do that at the moment. Even so it was strange that some attempt was not made to alter the slide into losing the game by refreshing the midfield with Bascome and Holness, even if the latter was not quite well enough to start.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:49 pm

someone had said that Holness was ill. Not sure how true that is.

Best not to dwell too much on Saturday. If you'd have offered me what we've got so far this season (in light of last season) then I'd have snapped your hand off

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:41 pm

It does seem odd not to use those options when we have them. Holness is a must start for me. Perhaps illness explains it, but then he could've used Bascome to switch it up. He's been criminally underused lately, and he's clearly in form internationally.

A switch up would be entirely justified Tuesday night imo.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:00 pm

I think Hatfield is missing tomorrow night after his 5th yellow card in a league match. Wheatley's just one yellow away from a ban also.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:37 pm

Not sure of the exact application of the rule at our level, but I know in the Premier League + the Football League there is a cut off 19 league games after which you must accumulate 10 yellow cards before suspension. Again not sure what the application is whether that relates to the actual games played by each team or the rounds for the league. The 30th November was technically round 19, so potentially have we gotten away with it and Hatfield and Wheatley would have to get 10 cards before being banned?

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:40 pm

LoidLucan wrote:I think Hatfield is missing tomorrow night after his 5th yellow card in a league match. Wheatley's just one yellow away from a ban also.
I was up in hospitality and Will was quite upset when he came in after the game. He was saying that he’s going to miss the Chester game. Not sure if that is correct but that’s what he was saying.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:21 pm

So the ban must kick in after 7 days and he can play tomorrow. All our midfielders are going to get their chance as the games go by.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:46 pm

JE93 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:37 pm
Not sure of the exact application of the rule at our level, but I know in the Premier League + the Football League there is a cut off 19 league games after which you must accumulate 10 yellow cards before suspension. Again not sure what the application is whether that relates to the actual games played by each team or the rounds for the league. The 30th November was technically round 19, so potentially have we gotten away with it and Hatfield and Wheatley would have to get 10 cards before being banned?
Threshold for our league is the 30th Nov inclusive, so Hatfield will miss the Chester game if that was his 5th league yellow.

FA Website hasn't been updated and they only have him down for 4 yellows currently, whilst our official site has him down for 6.