An observation...

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Breedon
Team Supported: Darlington

An observation...

Post by Breedon » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:48 pm

I'm not sure how brilliant we were today is getting talked about enough!!! Seriously, loved the grit and determination in the second half to secure the win when York came on strong, lads like Elliott who must have felt a bit naff with the Liam Connell fanfare earlier this season and Laing who had taken a fair bit of stick (from me among others after the Telford game I'll admit) were rock solid today. But that first half was the stuff dreams were made of! Absolutely destroyed York, they didn't look like they belonged on the pitch with us! The creativity and intensity of the football we were playing was a joy to watch. Campbell tore their back 3 to pieces with his pace, he looked a different player entirely with Reid working with him as the target man! Everything fell into place there and while obviously we're having a building season and there will still be ups and downs, I think there was plenty to be excited about there today! The lads have certainly earned their turkey and trifle on Wednesday! :clap:

super_les_mcjannet

Re: An observation...

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:08 pm

Thought we were brilliant first half today, however I also thought we were lucky that they couldn't finish one of the number of chances in the second half.

We are a very good team on our day and it's all about consistency and squad depth which thanks to the cup run it seems AA is getting there.

Genuinely looking forward to the rest of the season which I haven't said for a couple of years.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:30 pm

We were no more lucky than they were not to be 5-0 down at half time! They're an excellent side and will probably go up, they were always going to come on strong and have a few chances. Aside from the header off the bar and a great save by Elliott to deny a deflected shot, I think they huffed and puffed but the centre halves and keeper dealt with everything they threw into the box. Only criticism if you were being picky would be we missed a couple of absolute certainties which would have completely killed it off before half time. Agree with the fact Alun has put together a good squad and is always working to add the things we lack. The team he's put together given how many cruel injury blows we were dealt early doors is very impressive. It wont always click like it did today while we're still learning and growing, but when it does, its pretty glorious!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:43 pm

I agree on the we should have bene more ahead by half time, but once you miss those opportunities we rode our luck in the 2nd half.

Our intensity is so high at times that we can't keep it up for the full 90 minutes, which isn't a surprise.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:02 am

You also have to remember that York are a full-time team & they are bound to come on strong at the end of the game. If we had played on Wednesday against Solihull, then we would almost certainly have lost that game. Great support for the team & despite being in the open end, we created a fair old racket especially in the second half, which must have inspired the team. Loved to see Armstrong beating his chest at the end.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:02 pm

Just thinking about where we are at Christmas and what we've achieved. 10th in the league, still in the FA Trophy, a run to the 1st round of the FA Cup, a match on TV. Just wow.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:21 pm

And a crowd supportive of the manager, three decent players with long term injuries, some extra money in the kitty and a merry Christmas!

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:38 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:02 pm
Just thinking about where we are at Christmas and what we've achieved. 10th in the league, still in the FA Trophy, a run to the 1st round of the FA Cup, a match on TV. Just wow.
The football we play too, particularly at our best has been a huge highlight. Really nice, high paced passing football with the intensity and a good battle in the locker as well. Obviously we have some memorable displays, some car crashes and some middle of the road, but far more good than bad and we've already pretty much ticked off everything we hoped for at half way through the season. Delighted with how things are shaping up for the club on and off the pitch, even though I threw a bit of a tantrum after Telford :oops: :lol:

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:11 pm

Good post Breedon.Afraid I had a bit of a tantrum after Telford as well.Probably shows A A has raised the bar a lot higher than last season.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:28 pm

Breedon wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:48 pm
I'm not sure how brilliant we were today is getting talked about enough!!! Seriously, loved the grit and determination in the second half to secure the win when York came on strong, lads like Elliott who must have felt a bit naff with the Liam Connell fanfare earlier this season and Laing who had taken a fair bit of stick (from me among others after the Telford game I'll admit) were rock solid today. But that first half was the stuff dreams were made of! Absolutely destroyed York, they didn't look like they belonged on the pitch with us! The creativity and intensity of the football we were playing was a joy to watch. Campbell tore their back 3 to pieces with his pace, he looked a different player entirely with Reid working with him as the target man! Everything fell into place there and while obviously we're having a building season and there will still be ups and downs, I think there was plenty to be excited about there today! The lads have certainly earned their turkey and trifle on Wednesday! :clap:
Couldn’t agree more. The signs of it have been there all season, and whilst we’ve missed a couple of bits of the jigsaw, the types of players AA has brought in are all fit and technically excellent, and play good football. When it’s going well it’s a joy to watch.

Elliott should keep the jersey for now imo. He was outstanding.