Interview with Johnston on Official Website

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Ghost_Of_1883
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Interview with Johnston on Official Website

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:55 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:07 am
Harrogate worked out I think that it was about 300k to revert from 4g to grass, so doable
But it isn't doable is it?

The artificial pitch would belong to MPRFC, it would be an additional income stream for them (that's the point of a 4g pitch), so I kind of suspect that they might, just might, object to us telling them that we wanted to rip *their* pitch up and replace it with *our* grass, to suit us.

We've already had enough of "us and them" at BM.

Realistically a move to the Arena would need to involve no 4g pitch from the outset. The SV would need to be profitable or worthwhile without a 4g pitch being part of the equation.

However I suspect if we move back there it will involve a 4g pitch which is fine for this level and the next one, and the carrot for us to move there would be a parcel of land to develop (with a grass pitch) in due course. Problem here is the gigantic multi-million pound cost of building from scratch along side the cost of running a football club, and also the possibility of a random good season putting us in real contention of getting in the league far earlier than we bargained for, which would put us under immense and crippling pressure to get the job done.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:42 pm

The thing I don't understand with this sporting village nonsense is why exactly we have to go and play at the Arena in the meantime, while we develop this mythical ground next to it. To me, it's unachievable to build this stadium, and I am becoming a little suspicious that there is a little dishonesty in this process. I'm starting to believe there is a project to take us back to a stadium a *lot* of fans absolutely hated by stealth, by dangling the carrot of a new stadium that would gradually never materialise.

Fundamentally, we do not need to go to the Arena to build a stadium next to it. You know, you want to make it a long term project to build our own stadium next to the Arena, fine. Fundraise for it, let fans see what you want, sell the vision. I don't see why we need to be at the Arena in the meantime. We would still be tenants, but in a rusting, oversized dump, and on an artificial pitch. Being there is *not* an additional revenue source, and the argument for it is essentially a Reynolds esque 'build it and they will come', and that somehow our crowds will miraculously improve by playing there. They won't. We can, and should play at Blackwell in the meantime, while we develop something else, if not Blackwell itself.

What I *hope* is that this is the opposite, in trying to publicly look to be considering this as a serious option to leverage a better deal at Blackwell, and that no one is seriously considering taking us back to that dump, but i have some concerns.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:44 pm

H1987 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:42 pm
The thing I don't understand with this sporting village nonsense is why exactly we have to go and play at the Arena in the meantime, while we develop this mythical ground next to it. To me, it's unachievable to build this stadium, and I am becoming a little suspicious that there is a little dishonesty in this process. I'm starting to believe there is a project to take us back to a stadium a *lot* of fans absolutely hated by stealth, by dangling the carrot of a new stadium that would gradually never materialise.

Fundamentally, we do not need to go to the Arena to build a stadium next to it. You know, you want to make it a long term project to build our own stadium next to the Arena, fine. Fundraise for it, let fans see what you want, sell the vision. I don't see why we need to be at the Arena in the meantime. We would still be tenants, but in a rusting, oversized dump, and on an artificial pitch. Being there is *not* an additional revenue source, and the argument for it is essentially a Reynolds esque 'build it and they will come', and that somehow our crowds will miraculously improve by playing there. They won't. We can, and should play at Blackwell in the meantime, while we develop something else, if not Blackwell itself.

What I *hope* is that this is the opposite, in trying to publicly look to be considering this as a serious option to leverage a better deal at Blackwell, and that no one is seriously considering taking us back to that dump, but i have some concerns.
Think the belief with some is that the commercial opportunities are so much more at the Arena.

I largely agree with your point around a new stadium though.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:56 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:44 pm
H1987 wrote:

Think the belief with some is that the commercial opportunities are so much more at the Arena.

Yeah, we need the facts for sure, and i think i'd want to see these projections (comments like we could get 4.5-5k fans in the football league concern me honestly) ... and surely would MP not want their cut of those projections? I get that corporate options can be a money spinner, but... right now, we're a conference north side. Even in the conference national, there's a limit... and we would still be tenants. In an unattractive stadium, on a plastic pitch. What Walsall are doing sounds good, but they have an appropriate stadium. The Arena just isn't.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:05 pm

Yes but face facts it is our best realistic option. Other than staying at Blackwell what else is there?

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:16 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:44 pm
H1987 wrote:

Its the commercial opportunities yes, but I think the replay against Walsall made DJ realise what we are missing out on. 3000 tickets were sold in next to no time and we probably could have sold it three times over. That is an enormous amount of money to miss out on. If we were in the NL then you'd obviously be looking at a crowd much greater then 3000 for a game against Hartlepool. The more part-time fans turn up the more chance they'll come back. There is obviously a problem trying to grow your fanbase when you are limited to 2500 home fans for big games.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:39 pm

If you look at the season 2010-11 when we finished 7th in the Conference our average home league attendance at the 25,500 capacity Arena was 1,886.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:50 pm

I'm taking about those games that are above the average, If you get an average of 1886 then most gates will be below 1886 and a small number of big gates will boost it. i.e. its a long tailed distribution. You lose that with a small capacity. Remember in most seasons we'll get the odd gate of 6,000 and 5,000 thrown in. Getting 10,000 against Hartlepool is worth an extra 75K to us. We don't need 25,000 seats, but we certainly need at least 5,000 precisely because of those occasional big gates that are so important.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:18 pm

We've probably needed a 5,000 capacity once in more than 7 years and there's no getting away from the fact that under normal cicumstances game after game after game would see fewer than 2,000 people watching non-league football on a plastic pitch in a gigantic lifeless bowl.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:47 pm

You think we won't get a crowd a 5000 more than once in the next 7 years?! We aren't in the Northern League anymore you might have noticed. I'll trust the judgement of DJ above yours with all respect.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:12 pm

I think you and me and everyone else will be best coming to a full judgement on the best way forward once all the details, financial implications and options are fully spelled out. However one aspect we have long-term experience of is what it is like following Darlo in League and Non-league at the Arena.

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:41 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:47 pm
You think we won't get a crowd a 5000 more than once in the next 7 years?! We aren't in the Northern League anymore you might have noticed. I'll trust the judgement of DJ above yours with all respect.
Chesterfield, Halifax, Notts County, Hartlepool, York, Harrogate, Gateshead, Stockport and Wrexham as things stand are probably the only current teams who could attract a 3k+ attendance in the top two national leagues, obviously another big team may well drop down in next couple of years but unless we become really successful and attractive to floating fans then 3-4k tops is probably enough.

Beano

Post by Beano » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:50 pm

I understand, if not agree, why there would be clamour for a stadium bigger than 5000 for commercial opportunities, but not 10000.

The Arena is far too big, far too underdeveloped and far too restricted on what activities can occur. It’s running costs are astronomical due to the cheap materials used and I can’t see how anyone can make it pay.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:16 pm

Even given the other things that go on at the Arena and businesses based there, it must be a real struggle for Mowden Park on their crowds of around 800 (which includes free entry for all Under-16s). I bet they can't wait for the SV to get moving.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:57 pm

Beano wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:50 pm
I understand, if not agree, why there would be clamour for a stadium bigger than 5000 for commercial opportunities, but not 10000.

The Arena is far too big, far too underdeveloped and far too restricted on what activities can occur. It’s running costs are astronomical due to the cheap materials used and I can’t see how anyone can make it pay.
Think we have to be open minded on this one.

I don't see any point in some saying it will be brilliant and others saying it will be terrible, what we need is the facts behind it.

I don't like the arena in any way, however we need to deal with the options and not just how we feel.

What I do know is that our CEO is interested and so are others involved in the club, no point spending over a year in discussions if you don't fancy it. Interesting to see the Mowden Rugby Club Chairman was in hospitality for the Walsall game, good to see he had an interest in the football team.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:35 pm

That figure for our 7th place conference campaign says it all. 1,800 overall, and i've just looked at our highest league attendance that year... It was 3,000 against York. We literally could have fit our highest attendance that year in Blackwell Meadows as it stands. We do not need to occupy a stadium that is too big to occasionally have a bumper crowd if we happen to play Hartlepool or get someone decent in the cup. It is a false economy - you have to maintain the thing, and it's a rubbish matchday experience for those who go to more than one game every few years. Blackwell is ten times better than the Arena, even as is. Further development is the key.

Anyone with halcyon memories of what the Arena is like, stuff Walsall, I suggest one day when we don't have a game, going to see Gateshead at home. Go, watch that, and tell me that is what you want for this club. That's what you're advocating. I'm sure Gateshead get some nice financial benefits from being there A good deal financially, decent suites in the main stand with the corporate money spinning it offers (to a point). You know what, i don't care if that's the price we have to pay. It's s***, and the thought of having to do that as a home fan again is absolutely heartbreaking. That's what the Arena was, and the reason Gateshead have never been able to build crowds (in spite of being quite good in recent years) is because going to watch games there is unbelievably crap. Ok, they've had the odd bumper crowd like in the playoffs - does that make it worth being there? In short. No. They can't even attract disgruntled Mags and Mackems, who have gone to watch Shields instead (who play in a pokey, awkward, makeshift stadium with a clubhouse). They've wanted to move for years, but can't afford anything else. If we move back to the Arena, that is what it condemns this football club to.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:54 pm

What bothers me about BM is what will happen when our current license runs out. If the rugby club have got their debts paid off by then they could easily refuse to extend it or worse offer an even worse deal than the one we have now knowing we have no other options. Much as I dislike the Arena it may be a more secure long term option.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:05 pm

H1987 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:35 pm
That figure for our 7th place conference campaign says it all. 1,800 overall, and i've just looked at our highest league attendance that year... It was 3,000 against York. We literally could have fit our highest attendance that year in Blackwell Meadows as it stands. We do not need to occupy a stadium that is too big to occasionally have a bumper crowd if we happen to play Hartlepool or get someone decent in the cup. It is a false economy - you have to maintain the thing, and it's a rubbish matchday experience for those who go to more than one game every few years. Blackwell is ten times better than the Arena, even as is. Further development is the key.

Anyone with halcyon memories of what the Arena is like, stuff Walsall, I suggest one day when we don't have a game, going to see Gateshead at home. Go, watch that, and tell me that is what you want for this club. That's what you're advocating. I'm sure Gateshead get some nice financial benefits from being there A good deal financially, decent suites in the main stand with the corporate money spinning it offers (to a point). You know what, i don't care if that's the price we have to pay. It's s***, and the thought of having to do that as a home fan again is absolutely heartbreaking. That's what the Arena was, and the reason Gateshead have never been able to build crowds (in spite of being quite good in recent years) is because going to watch games there is unbelievably crap. Ok, they've had the odd bumper crowd like in the playoffs - does that make it worth being there? In short. No. They can't even attract disgruntled Mags and Mackems, who have gone to watch Shields instead (who play in a pokey, awkward, makeshift stadium with a clubhouse). They've wanted to move for years, but can't afford anything else. If we move back to the Arena, that is what it condemns this football club to.
Not a fan of the Arena but comparing it to Gateshead is ridiculous. The running track makes it far worse there. Lets see what if anything is on offer and stop being so negative until we can make an informed decision.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:07 pm

H1987 wrote:

Nicely put...
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:34 pm

H1987 wrote:

I know you don't want us to have a stadium even one seat bigger than our average attedance, but to play in the NL you need a capacity of 4,000. I don't think the FA will give us an exemption on the basis that we only average of 1400. Not sure DJ agrees wth you on the scope for devloping BM.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:52 pm

What was the capacity at Feethams?

That would seem a reasonable assumption around what we could aspire towards - served us well for 100 years and coped with big games whilst not feeling empty for run of the mill games.

Obviously our fan base has dwindled since then and we are playing at a lower level, but it gives the opportunity to get back to where we were at some point down the line without being unrealistic.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:23 pm

The DFC board ie DJ will put a proposal to move back to the Arena, the DFCSG board who were largely against moving back previously now I’ve heard mostly back a return but as I’ve mentioned numerous times it’s the members who will vote, personally from what I’ve heard the sensible option is to move back to the Arena as nothing at BM will ever change as they are just counting down the years on the license.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:11 am

Spyman wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:52 pm
What was the capacity at Feethams?

That would seem a reasonable assumption around what we could aspire towards - served us well for 100 years and coped with big games whilst not feeling empty for run of the mill games.

Obviously our fan base has dwindled since then and we are playing at a lower level, but it gives the opportunity to get back to where we were at some point down the line without being unrealistic.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Record attendance ar Feethams was over 21,000 v Bolton Wanderers back in 1950's when Health & Safety hardly existed. By the time we left, despite a redeveloped East Stand & deeper Tin Shed plus crumbling & condemned open South Park end, i think 6000 was the approved limit. Usually it was only about half full for a league game, but most got a great view (and change ends at 1/2 time if they wanted to!)

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:21 am

When did you last go to Feethams? Whilst I believe we were one of the last grounds to allow people to switch ends I don't think this was actually active by the end of our tenure as segregation had become a thing and generally away teams received the open terrace - at least that is my memory from sort of 1997 onwards.

One of my earlier memories was the grand 'demolition' of the east stand...also known as removing a roof panel to fireworks. If I remember rightly the demolition of the old east stand and the positioning of the orange changing rooms would have prevented anyone switching ends so it may have been imposed from that point.

Feethams was a great mix. Covered terrace, open terrace, plush new stand and old stand. There were 4 different price points there for spectators so you could have a range of prices which could be more inclusive.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:15 am

My first visit was in 96. I think it was a 4/2 win against Northampton and no changing ends then.

Feethams was a great ground, even when it was in a bad state at the end, it still had a good feel to it.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

eek

Post by eek » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:23 am

lo36789 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:21 am
When did you last go to Feethams? Whilst I believe we were one of the last grounds to allow people to switch ends I don't think this was actually active by the end of our tenure as segregation had become a thing and generally away teams received the open terrace - at least that is my memory from sort of 1997 onwards.

One of my earlier memories was the grand 'demolition' of the east stand...also known as removing a roof panel to fireworks. If I remember rightly the demolition of the old east stand and the positioning of the orange changing rooms would have prevented anyone switching ends so it may have been imposed from that point.

Feethams was a great mix. Covered terrace, open terrace, plush new stand and old stand. There were 4 different price points there for spectators so you could have a range of prices which could be more inclusive.
I think you mean offer the ability to charge higher prices - it's not exactly expensive at the moment and we left Feethams 16 years ago. And the risk of lower prices is that while you may get more money you might actually get less money overall - a 10% reduction in prices requires an 11% increase in attendance just to stand still.

As for how the club moves forward - no options are really that good so we just have to make the best of a set of not great options - personally leaving Blackwell, finding a clause that allows us to extract ourselves from the lease and waiting for their inevitable bankruptcy would be the best solution to get a ground but I don't want or expect that solution to work out.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:47 am

Boring contribution I know but really I think it’s best that we wait to hear what the various proposals are and judge them against one and other then. No point getting too agitated or tribal about for now. Let’s see what’s possible and hear what our board(s) have to say and take it from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:54 am

How long does this lease/license run for at Blackwell? There must be a long time left I feel.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:13 am

Old Git wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:05 pm
H1987 wrote:

Not a fan of the Arena but comparing it to Gateshead is ridiculous. The running track makes it far worse there. Lets see what if anything is on offer and stop being so negative until we can make an informed decision.
There was no running track, but the Arena is nearly twice the size of the GIS, and the stands behind the goals were not terribly close to the pitch either, even by modern stadium standards. In one of the usual crowds you felt every bit as removed from the action as it does at GIS. The experience is entirely comparable.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:16 am

Comparing the Arena to GIS is barmy. Your far nearer to the action at the Arena, the GIS is a terrible ground & football should not be played there in my humble opinion. Old Git is completely right.