Spennymoor game off

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

al_quaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Spennymoor game off

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:15 pm

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:09 pm

Get you al_quaker with your hard evidence and facts. Don’t you know it’s NEVER Spennymoor’s fault at all.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:48 pm

Rank amateurs. Too right they should be footing Altrincham's bill, but they don't get the wasted time back, do they? Their fans, however many were making the trek, nor their players, who aren't pros and probably had to go to work the next day.... for that?

Totally unprofessional. No wonder they're getting a reputation.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:14 pm

My opinion wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:14 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:11 am
My opinion wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:02 am
LoidLucan wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:48 am
Given the amount of rain that had fallen it would have been prudent to get a local ref to have a look at the pitch in good time. They didn't and allowed fans and players to travel, even issuing assurances that everything was OK.Of course, once the ref deemed areas of the pitch unfit, they immediately switched the blame onto his shoulders, questioning his professional judgement.
What ever you do, if the conditions change someone is in for a hiding.. remember when the Solihull game was postponed people were on here having a right good moan.
Sometimes you are damned if you do or damned if you don't
"People on here"? It was only Darlopete! - I've just reread the thread.

As a separate point, the Solihull postponement turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as we turned up fresh V York, got a great result, and this subsequently set us up for our good Xmas run.
I know who it was, I was making the point that it is easy to criticise other teams for decisions made, or not made.
The same guy has also criticised their pitch... I was at the game and was very impressed by the quality of the green. (the slope is a different thing)..
You get a bit fed up with some of the rubbish chucked out on here because of what Spendy have got..Well I envy them in a lot of ways.. They have their own ground for a start, all the money they make through their beer sales and their corporate side feeds into their finances. (not a landlords)
On saying that, after our visit there on New years day, I will not be going back there..They took the p~~~ as far as I was concerned.
Yes, I agree. A few years ago we used to go to the occasional Spennymoor game, just to get a football fix if Darlo were away but not now. There seems to be a nasty pumped up feeling emanating from the players and fans now, I don’t enjoy going there and I didn’t enjoy New Years Day either. Some of our fans did misbehave that day but it was so avoidable.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:31 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:09 pm
Get you al_quaker with your hard evidence and facts. Don’t you know it’s NEVER Spennymoor’s fault at all.
Indeed :lol: I'm sure polarbear will have a perfectly rational response when he seees the evidence

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:51 am

Strange how Polarbear hasn't posted since!! Obviously yet another Spendy fan who wants to ignore the truth.

polarbear
Team Supported: spennymoor

Post by polarbear » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:07 am

99% of the pitch was perfect, even that 1% the ball rolled, now calling game off for that small bit is scandalous

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:09 am

polarbear wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:07 am
99% of the pitch was perfect, even that 1% the ball rolled, now calling game off for that small bit is scandalous
:lol: right on cue

The Democratic People's Republic of Spennymoor Town is infallible

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:47 am

polarbear wrote:99% of the pitch was perfect, even that 1% the ball rolled, now calling game off for that small bit is scandalous
You could have separated the unplayable bit with some of that segregation sellotape you’ve got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:51 am

polarbear wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:12 pm
Couple of posts from alty fan who was at the ground
I’m an ALTY fan who made the long Tuesday trip. Away coach and own travel supporters.Must say brilliant away support.
I’m fuming, the pitch was in my opinion playable. Both teams were happy with it
God help you if your pitch isn’t premier ship standard if you get this ref. Didn’t let the pitch do it’s work.
I guess the ref must have been totally embarrassed when taking his pictures at 1900, after he had
Had his tea.
No standing water and the ball was running well..
----
John Stamp , as an ALTY fan, in my and everybody else but the officials, the pitch was perfect.
There are also plenty of Alty fans who share the views expressed in the following by one of their own:

"What a total shambles. Sunday league fixtures are better organised! Never mind the referee the club are at fault in my opinion. They must have known the condition of the pitch and the length of journey the away team had to travel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY COULD HAVE CALLED AN EARLY INSPECTION FROM A LOCAL REFEREE ............Absolutely disgusting and shows absolute total disregard. They seemed to have done this before?
Well Spennymoor shame on you.
I hope one day we can repay!!!!!!!!!!"

And you can't blame them.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:54 am

Laughable anyone would try and defend that. It’s clearly unplayable in that area, and the lino has to run up and down it.

I also refuse to believe *that* is the only part (but even if it was, half of the touch line is unplayable - any referee will call that off). It’s was very, very wet on those days.

Unprofessional.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:36 am

H1987 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:54 am
Laughable anyone would try and defend that. It’s clearly unplayable in that area, and the lino has to run up and down it.

I also refuse to believe *that* is the only part (but even if it was, half of the touch line is unplayable - any referee will call that off). It’s was very, very wet on those days.

Unprofessional.
Remember on New Years Day remarking how close the touch line was to the so called barriers.
The linesman was virtually on the pitch so no wonder it is so chewed up. Add to that having to run the gauntlet of constant questions and dissent from the Spenny bench he did not have an easy day. Pity they didn’t widen the pitch when they made their fantastic ground improvements.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:25 pm

A referee is obliged to consider the safety of the players when making his decision.
As has been pointed out there isn't a lot of space between the edge of the pitch and the perimeter fence. Had a player done a slide tackle in the soggy area he could well have slid into the fence and got injured. The referee would have been culpable in this if he passed the pitch as being fit.
We had a sunday league game called off because there was a skip just off the pitch near a corner flag, the referee deemed it was too close and had the potential to cause serious injury. Also there was the Darlo match at Lincoln where there was a frozen area just off the pitch which the referee deemed as being too close and could cause issues. That was called an hour before kick off. Its annoying but safety is paramount these days with the compensation culture we have, no wonder refs err on the side of caution.
Spennymoor should have had a local ref in to check things out prior to Altrincham setting off. However I have heard on the grapevine that they were so confident of having solved their issues one of their staff proclaimed they would never have another game called off because of the rain. That bit him on the arse!

polarbear
Team Supported: spennymoor

Post by polarbear » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:53 pm

loan_star wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:25 pm
A referee is obliged to consider the safety of the players when making his decision.
As has been pointed out there isn't a lot of space between the edge of the pitch and the perimeter fence. Had a player done a slide tackle in the soggy area he could well have slid into the fence and got injured. The referee would have been culpable in this if he passed the pitch as being fit.
We had a sunday league game called off because there was a skip just off the pitch near a corner flag, the referee deemed it was too close and had the potential to cause serious injury. Also there was the Darlo match at Lincoln where there was a frozen area just off the pitch which the referee deemed as being too close and could cause issues. That was called an hour before kick off. Its annoying but safety is paramount these days with the compensation culture we have, no wonder refs err on the side of caution.
Spennymoor should have had a local ref in to check things out prior to Altrincham setting off. However I have heard on the grapevine that they were so confident of having solved their issues one of their staff proclaimed they would never have another game called off because of the rain. That bit him on the arse!
Out of 10 refs, he would probably be the only one calling it off, the pitch drains fast and should of had another hour draining, it had only stopped raining 1hr before he called it off, it was only one small area, am sure it would of been a lot better at kick-off

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:41 pm

If the muddy wet patch had been in or around the centre of the pitch - the Spennymoor players would never have noticed.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:32 pm

Bit easy Spenny just blaming it on the ref to be honest, he has to make a decision at the time and to be fair to him looking at the photos you can see reasonable doubt in regards to the pitch being fit to start the game.

It smacks of the other week when the linesman made a decision of offside, of which could have gone either way really and the official Spenny account blamed the official.

You expect this from fans, but official club accounts, boards etc. should really not be pointing the finger at refs.

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:56 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:32 pm
Bit easy Spenny just blaming it on the ref to be honest, he has to make a decision at the time and to be fair to him looking at the photos you can see reasonable doubt in regards to the pitch being fit to start the game.

It smacks of the other week when the linesman made a decision of offside, of which could have gone either way really and the official Spenny account blamed the official.

You expect this from fans, but official club accounts, boards etc. should really not be pointing the finger at refs.
But they are the Pride of County Durham.......,

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:15 pm

JasonDeVos wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:56 pm
super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:32 pm

But they are the Pride of County Durham.......,
Just pleased we are now more to do with Tees Valley then !
They are rapidly becoming too big for their boots . We can wait and enjoy their inevitable decline with great pleasure. There are plenty of examples of unsustainable clubs hitting the buffers. They remind me a lot of Gretna who progressed rapidly only to decline even quicker when the Brooks Mileson money disappeared.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:56 pm

Old Git, if he really is old, will also remember Colne Dynamoes and their rise and fall.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:00 pm

Yes whatever happened to them ?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:02 pm

When they announced the huge investment at the ground, including a brand new "Football League standard" pitch and cutting-edge covers, the impression given by the club was that postponements were a thing of the past. I don't think anyone wanted to admit (and certainly not to Groves) that the hugely expensive pitch was fecked by the downpours and very probably unfit to host a game safely for players and officials. Hence no local referee was brought in and then they pretty much heaped everything on the match referee who clearly felt it was unfit but was virtally accused by the club of calling it off for no reason at all. Very unprofessional. I'm sure the ref just made an impartial judgement on what was before him and it's backed up by the bog in the photograph. It's just another non-league pitch with a big slope that gets swamped in heavy rain. Most clubs would have taken early, prudent steps to ensure players and fans didn't have a wasted journey.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:10 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:56 pm
Old Git, if he really is old, will also remember Colne Dynamoes and their rise and fall.
So you're really old if you remember the mid-late 80s? :o Thanks, Vic, that's made me feel great :lol:

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:32 pm

biccynana wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:56 pm
So you're really old if you remember the mid-late 80s? :o Thanks, Vic, that's made me feel great Image
Could have phrased it better Adam, really got to me that comment.Need to build some bridges for our more "senior" posters ImageImage

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:33 pm

Old Git wrote:Yes whatever happened to them ?
Gateshead beat them 5-0 in the cup this season.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:34 pm

polarbear wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:25 pm
Out of 10 refs, he would probably be the only one calling it off, the pitch drains fast and should of had another hour draining, it had only stopped raining 1hr before he called it off, it was only one small area, am sure it would of been a lot better at kick-off
Pure conjecture!

polam

Post by polam » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:40 pm

At least Alty fans will only have to pay £10 when they return to The Field. Spennymoor surcharges other visiting Co. Durham fans 40% - £14 for the visit of Darlo and Gateshead but back to £10 for everyone else.

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:58 pm

polam wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:40 pm
At least Alty fans will only have to pay £10 when they return to The Field. Spennymoor surcharges other visiting Co. Durham fans 40% - £14 for the visit of Darlo and Gateshead but back to £10 for everyone else.
Well they are a big club- following premier league pricing structures

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:15 pm

JasonDeVos wrote:
polam wrote:
Looks like they identified our game as cat A and increased the admission price accordingly as in the premiership.Do any other clubs in our league adopt this policy, absolutely brilliant initiative from The Pride.For gods sake!ImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:18 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:15 pm
JasonDeVos wrote:
polam wrote:
Looks like they identified our game as cat A and increased the admission price accordingly as in the premiership.Do any other clubs in our league adopt this policy, absolutely brilliant initiative from The Pride.For gods sake!ImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's a sh*thouse policy, at any level.

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:46 pm

polam wrote:At least Alty fans will only have to pay £10 when they return to The Field. Spennymoor surcharges other visiting Co. Durham fans 40% - £14 for the visit of Darlo and Gateshead but back to £10 for everyone else.
Unless, with kick off approaching and you're still in the queue for the one turnstyle after 30 miinutes, you ask the steward if you can use the ticket & concessions turnstyle only to be told that neither the steward nor security know the admission arrangements, so you go to ticket turnstyle and ask if you can use that turnstyle...
Then they only charge 9 quid!
Couldn't run a bath...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk