Tonights fixtures

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Tonights fixtures

Post by poppyfield » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:00 pm

Boston United vs Brackley Town ,

Farsley Celtic P - P Kidderminster Harriers,

Guiseley vs Darlington ,

Leamington vs Gateshead .
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Quaker85

Re: Tonights fixtures

Post by Quaker85 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:03 pm

Farsley had two games called off on the same night. Is that a record

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:02 am

Boston scored a late goal to win 1-0, not sure if that is a good or bad result for us.

Leamington drew at home 0-0 to Gateshead, which is a decent result for us.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:05 am

It's an irrelevant result. We are enjoying a good run of form. It will end eventually just try enjoying it rather than worrying too much about league position.

en passant

Post by en passant » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:02 am

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:05 am
It's an irrelevant result. We are enjoying a good run of form. It will end eventually just try enjoying it rather than worrying too much about league position.
Absolutely. Recalling how the stated objective of this season was to get us looking up rather than down and putting the building blocks for a more concerted push next year I think we can be well satisfied that the job has been largely done already. The rest is bonus and whether or not it leads to the playoffs we can now just enjoy the ride, free from worries about getting drawn into a relegation battle (we already have too many points for that) or from how to get through to the end of the season without having to sell our best players.
It has been said elsewhere that Saturday's game is something of a free hit on the back of last night's result. I would extend that thought to the rest of the season.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:24 am

The thing is, there is a massive Elephant in the room. It’s really big and just sat there doing nothing, and it is - where do we play if we get promoted? How much will it cost? How will it be paid for?

Armstrong and his players left Blyth because their chairman put a lid on their footballing ambitions, and who can blame them - but the thing is, Armstrong and his players could do the same again if they sense any negativity from our board, and it’s our board who need a believable plan B if the unlikely event of promotion takes place. We need to finish top 7 then win 3 tough away ties, but the way things are going it is a possibility.

To get back to where we were before Singh stitched us up would be a dream come true but I can’t help but wonder what the plan B is. Perhaps there is a thought that promotion at this time would force our hand, as in - we can now only play at the Arena - that is simply the way it has to be.......
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:44 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:24 am
The thing is, there is a massive Elephant in the room. It’s really big and just sat there doing nothing, and it is - where do we play if we get promoted? How much will it cost? How will it be paid for?

Armstrong and his players left Blyth because their chairman put a lid on their footballing ambitions, and who can blame them - but the thing is, Armstrong and his players could do the same again if they sense any negativity from our board, and it’s our board who need a believable plan B if the unlikely event of promotion takes place. We need to finish top 7 then win 3 tough away ties, but the way things are going it is a possibility.

To get back to where we were before Singh stitched us up would be a dream come true but I can’t help but wonder what the plan B is. Perhaps there is a thought that promotion at this time would force our hand, as in - we can now only play at the Arena - that is simply the way it has to be.......
We play at Blackwell Meadows. We are allowed to be promoted and play in the National League at Blackwell Meadows.

en passant

Post by en passant » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:52 am

Before this recent run of form I dare say there was little thought of the need of a plan B or even a plan A, as we weren't in a position to have that complication. But until a little more of the season pans out I still think we can afford to live in the cloudcuckooland of flirting with the playoffs and enjoying the football. Even if we were to end up in the playoffs it is a mighty big leap to getting through what will probably be three tough away games. And even if that were to pass we would probably find a way to cope with the consequences. Where there's a Will Hatfield there's a way.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:56 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:

That’s simply not the way it has to be.

We can play in the National League at Blackwell Meadows as it is. By March of that season it would need an additional 700 capacity added by terracing the away end, or we would be relegated.

We might be relegated regardless. But you never know, we’ve worked wonders with recruitment this year.

The way I view the rest of this season, it’s a free swing. I don’t expect us to go up, or even expect us to make the playoffs. I actually think we might though, but who knows. Let’s hope we get some memorable games, and raise more funds for the club and crucially, build that feel good factor.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:02 pm

H1987 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:56 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

We can play in the National League at Blackwell Meadows as it is. By March of that season it would need an additional 700 capacity added by terracing the away end, or we would be relegated.

We might be relegated regardless. But you never know, we’ve worked wonders with recruitment this year.

The way I view the rest of this season, it’s a free swing. I don’t expect us to go up, or even expect us to make the playoffs. I actually think we might though, but who knows. Let’s hope we get some memorable games, and raise more funds for the club and crucially, build that feel good factor.
I hope you're right H1987. I only mentioned the dreaded Arena as an example, it's not what I would want - it's just that no one seems to know what the score is re the big stuff.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:06 pm

H1987 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

The beauty of promotion (if we achieved it) would settle the blackwell meadows v arena v mythical sporting village debate as we would need to make a swift decision, negotiate it with the owners of the respective venues and begin work on either moving or building infrastructure ASAP. As much as the idea of promotion at the start of the season was fanciful, with this season being a stepping stone to having a go next year, I think we should be going all out to achieve it this season. It's unlikely we will get through the playoffs, but we can't have the attitude that if we fail to reach and win the playoffs all is well. We need that winning mentality and feel good factor around the club to remain. I would hate for the momentum and goodwill built this year to dwindle away if we sank to 12th in the league and the season fizzled out.

Also, If we need to knock half a terrace up at the end of blackwell I'm sure we could fund raise to pay for it. We've hit pretty much every other fundraising target over the years so another block of concrete will be no bother.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:09 pm

Agree with H1987 on this one.

I just want us to win as many games as possible and worry about the rest as and when, they are always options.

I don't mean this to sound the way it does but "Worst case scenario is we get promoted". What I mean is that promotion will bring a lot of challenges but if this our biggest worry then something has gone seriously right this year.

Let's just get to games, encourage others to and enjoy the ride. It's light years away form the last two seasons of avoiding relegation struggle.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:16 pm

MB86DFC wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:06 pm
Also, If we need to knock half a terrace up at the end of blackwell I'm sure we could fund raise to pay for it. We've hit pretty much every other fundraising target over the years so another block of concrete will be no bother.
:thumbup:
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:46 pm

H1987 wrote:

There's other things which are needed at cat A compared to cat B e.g more turnstiles, better floodlights etc. I've no idea whether BM meets cat A standards in some areas already, but I doubt it'd be quite as simple as wacking a terrace in (although that of course will be the most expensive component).

There's also the issue as to whether BM really is the long term home for the club and if spending money there is really the best way forwards - personally I would be highly reluctant to give any more of my money to fund improvements at BM without some movement from DRFC with regards to our licence to play. I'm sure there's people working in the background on what is the optimum way forwards though

Whatever happens, isn't it nice to be talking about this 'problem', rather than worrying about relegation back to the sticky glue league :lol:

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:32 pm

Can’t really call it the sticky glue league now that the bookies have moved in. Anyone got a humorous name for it?

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:35 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:32 pm
Can’t really call it the sticky glue league now that the bookies have moved in. Anyone got a humorous name for it?

The BetLynch Northern Premier League

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:07 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:

I think it is unlikely that we'll face 3 away games in the playoffs. If our form continues as it is, then I can see us being above 7th. What position would we have to get too, in order to have a home game in the playoffs?