Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

EDJOHNS
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:08 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:57 am
Apparently Wigan only decided to make this a Pride match, when they heard Israel Folau joined Catalan. A good move by Wigan & I'm sure his presence will generate a lot of interest.
The timing was strange coming just 20 minutes after the announcement, but sorry, total hypocrisy from the club as they were happy to sign Zak.
Cats have only done exactly the same thing as they did previously.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:58 pm

Great win for Wigan, but perhaps fortuitous as we weren't at our best. But Chris Hill was a thug & rightfully sent off. A good entertaining game, between two committed sides, who will be there or there about's at the end of the season. Thought French, Hardaker & Hastings were excellent for Wigan.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:19 am

GAME DAY 1 for KR !!!!!

You see how opinions differ. Agree good game. Thought Warry were unlucky to lose, but Hill "a thug"? Good God man, he mistimed the tackle. (Have you ever played a game). You can't argue with the sending off as he did get him round the neck, but as the commentators said, 10 mins would have been enough. Silly thing, the 10 minutes he did give was more a sending off offence and should have been an 8 point try.
Certainly that young French has speed to burn. Hastings did well. Thought Austin was good for Warry.

Praying for a win of any sort. We need it to boost confidence.
Yet again the pre match natter got it wrong, we did NOT lose all preseason games, played 2 won 1 lost 1. NOT lost all games played.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:01 am

Well first 1 over and done with.

Not a great game. We were decent, Wakey were bluntly poor.

Another bad injury, this time for Danny Brough who I hear has done an ACL Wakey will miss him that is for sure.

We were, as we all thought, a tad light weight in the pack, but we made up for that by swarming all over them, and what was nice to see was that we were still doing it on 80 just as well as in the first. Also played fast passing rugby. Yes there were a few mistakes and a couple of dropped balls. I think a couple more games will iron that out.

If you get the chance, watch our second try. I promise you will not see better this season. Made about 25-30 yards forward with the ball going hand to hand 5 times the full width of the pitch and a dive in at the corner flag.
PURE CLASS.

Sitting second in the league table behind Saints. ..... Can we end the season now please ??

I took 6 home wins for the weekend. Halfway there !

On to Dull next week.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:20 am

You'll be getting a nose bleed being so high up the table, haha. I'll watch the tries on the excellent Super League show on BBC TV. Bit of a worry about how easily St. Helens demolished Salford last night, although in fairness Salford have lost some crucial players. It'll be interesting to see how Warrington do against them next week.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:05 am

I honestly think Salford were a Leicester last season and fully expect them to be back in their usual place in the bottom 4.
I do hope they show the entire move for that try. I always record that program. The only 1 I watch live as a norm is the JJB show.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:45 pm

Great to see that Shaun Wane is to replace Bennett as the new Great Britain head coach. Surprised that Hull thumped Leeds. Not surprised to see that Toronto lost today, but they will only get better.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:56 am

Not sure why Dull winning was a shock. Every pundit and his dog have said they have done the best recruiting of the winter, and Leeds have not done a lot. Gale having missed all last season will take a while to get up to speed, and while I like the lad, if Donno is in your pack, you are lacking. He is championship at best.
Toronto looked very poor. With only 22 players not sure where improvement will come from.
Wane. ...... You know my thoughts on this horrible little man.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:05 pm

I see Hull KR are threatening legal action against the Catalan Dragons if they lose out financially because of Folau. Not quite sure how they can prove that?

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:07 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:05 pm
I see Hull KR are threatening legal action against the Catalan Dragons if they lose out financially because of Folau. Not quite sure how they can prove that?
So many people misunderstanding this.

Both KR and indeed the RFL have a large number of sponsors. Part of the RFL's income goes to the 10 SL sides apart from Toronto and Cats. In other sports we have seen sponsors pull out when they think publicity is poor because of a players behaviour etc. If any sponsors pull out of either KR or The RFL because of Folau it will be very easy to prove as when they pull out sponsors give the reason!!!!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:03 pm

I don't know, but have sponsors been threatening to pull out because of Folau?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:15 am

Amazing win for Warrington tonight over St Helens.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:38 am

Derby day !!!!!

Hoping our defence can put in the same sort of shift as last week and hold their pack. If we can do that we have a chance as from 1-17 we are faster than Dull.

Fearing the worst. Hoping for the best.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:00 pm

I think Hull will be a different proposition than Wakefield. Hopefully Wigan will beat Castleford at their place.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:32 pm

Poor display by Wigan, as our performance is littered with errors. No doubt Rob will be happy.

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:46 am

Splendid display from our boys listened to BBC commentary and we deserved the win especially as its DP team ! Watched the Hull derby, HKR did well cannot see them being in bottom 2 on that display

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:19 pm

Thanks Rob. Think a few people are having to change their views about us. Confident of my bet on us staying up.

Taken from the starting point of 1 team expecting to be title contenders and 1 being the firm favourite to go down, Sad that it was the derby, but I actually can't find it in me to get to upset over the loss.
Can't ever see the point of knocking ref's and won't. I do think Dull had the rub of the luck going.
Of our tries wiped out "upstairs", debatable, but it looked to me as if the 1 chalked out for a knock on came of Shauls chest, and how on earth Kendal found enough proof to change the second 1 I will never know. I thought,(obviously wrongly), that there had to be some clear evidence the ref was wrong before it could be thrown out. When you have to look at 10 different angles 20 times each I fail to see how it is "Clear" the ref was wrong.

When Jamie hit the post with his Kick we never got set and Dull took full advantage to get a length of the pitch try.
If, and, but. ..... He missed it, end of!!!!!

I said pre match IF we could hold their pack in the same way as we did last week we would have a chance as we were the faster side. I think I was proved correct. I do think those saying we ran out of steam are being hard. I think the Jamie miss/try from it, was a sickener and the heads were a bit cloudy when the last 1 went in.

Despite someone saying elsewhere "it is only round 2" to my post about you won't see a better try all season. I stand by that.
To see us throwing the ball about against 1 of the favourites for the title stands us in good nick.

Dull? Good side mainly beefy. Think you will yet again fall short v Saints, Wigan and Warry.

Hoped for a win, feared a spanking.. ..... Enjoy the bragging rights for a few weeks Dullers. 5 main players to come back !!!!!

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:11 am

Shocked how poor Wigan were last night. Struggled to win against a poor and depleted Toronto. Not sure what is wrong as they have the players but simply not clicking to their potential so far this season, yet again.
Looks like Toronto will not be able to name a full 19 man squad next week let alone a 21 man squad. Little sympathy with the argument they have to pay over the odds to attract players. KR, Wakey and a couple of others who have been round the bottom for a few years have exactly the same problem year on year. Really liked what I saw over there but the gamesmanship is OTT.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:32 pm

32-10 isn't a bad result, sadly I didn't tape the programme but a comfortable win against limited opposition isn't too be sniffed at. Hull KR on the other hand seem to be going backward as they get thumped at Leeds. The real surprise is Huddersfield as they win narrowly at Salford.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:33 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:32 pm
32-10 isn't a bad result, sadly I didn't tape the programme but a comfortable win against limited opposition isn't too be sniffed at. Hull KR on the other hand seem to be going backward as they get thumped at Leeds. The real surprise is Huddersfield as they win narrowly at Salford.
I watched Wigans game Pete. They were poor.

KR's injury hits again. Having lost Quinny for a month and having to bring in Dagger to cover, Ellis,(having trained together all week), got hurt in the warm up so Abdul, (who was not in the 17 because he is carrying a pull), had to play.
We were shocking and deserved to lose but I thought the score was a tad harsh. It was good to see we kept going and scored near the end but that was little compensation.
Udders at home Friday night. Looking forward to it.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:25 pm

Given the form of the last few game Huddersfield will start as favourites. Big surprise this afternoon that Wakefield overturned Wakefield.

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:04 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:25 pm
Given the form of the last few game Huddersfield will start as favourites. Big surprise this afternoon that Wakefield overturned Wakefield.
That would be a non game Pete, Warrington where the defeated side, anyone can beat anyone in this league, its consistancy that will provide the winners, hear it here now Saints will win the SL 2/1 is the price short yes but a winning bet

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:54 pm

Surprised to hear that Brian Noble has left his role as Director of Rugby at Toronto Wolfpack.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:29 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:54 pm
Surprised to hear that Brian Noble has left his role as Director of Rugby at Toronto Wolfpack.
Is it really such a shock that the DoR takes the fall for their recruiting mess?

Also, can't believe they have been allowed to sign Gigot as an amature trialist and he is being allowed to play first team rugby. The rules are quite clear, amatures can only play reserve grade rugby.

Isn't it funny, we all play hell about Thursday night travel to games, but I didn't half miss a game last night on TV. Went onto a group I am a member of to post exactly that, and had been beaten by about a dozen others all with the same thought.

KR v Udders tonight. I leave home about 12.00 so got to sort an early lunch/late breakfast !!!!!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:17 pm

I guess you'll start tonight as underdogs? I was surprised to hear about Noble leaving, too early to make a big decision like that.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:29 pm

Blimey Hull KR are sinking fast as they get thumped by Huddersfield 4-22. Ed won't be happy.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:06 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:29 pm
Blimey Hull KR are sinking fast as they get thumped by Huddersfield 4-22. Ed won't be happy.
You are not wrong there.
The worst part is that we have regressed game by game. Another 2 injuries last night !!! Sad to say Parcell is turning into a liability.
Half a game back after 3 out and out for up to 6 again.

Wew just can't catch a break other than Toronto are doing as badly.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:02 am

There must be some underlying reason why you are getting so many injuries? Toronto's performances do seem to be improving week on week & they could easily have got something from the game at Warrington!! Ed I'd be very worried if I were you. St Helens lose the World Club final, I can't say I'm surprised. Wigan's game today against Hull should be a crunch game & show who is fighting for top spot.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:11 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:02 am
There must be some underlying reason why you are getting so many injuries? Toronto's performances do seem to be improving week on week & they could easily have got something from the game at Warrington!! Ed I'd be very worried if I were you. St Helens lose the World Club final, I can't say I'm surprised. Wigan's game today against Hull should be a crunch game & show who is fighting for top spot.
Hull WILL NOT be near the top come the end of the season of that I am sure.
Thought Saints were very unlucky last night. They deserved something from it. Sadly they just could not touch the whitewash often enough.

People laugh but before we left the old Craven park KR were cursed by an old gypsy woman. We have had zero good luck since that date.

So good to see both Saints and The Aussies wearing tops for Mose Mosoe. Both his former clubs of course.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:24 pm

Saints were unlucky, three times poor handling when they could have scored. Atmosphere was great, fans around us really unhappy with the ref and it chucked it down. Close game until late on so a very enjoyable night out.