Guiseley

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Old Git
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Guiseley

Post by Old Git » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:06 pm

Dilly-dilly wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:49 pm
Nothing wrong with the Team . Nor Management.
Give your all , expect a Contract extension.
Whispering grass suggests they are being blocked .
So can't expect 100% on pitch .
If not matched off it .
Then I will be called a Troll for telling the truth .
You could be the next Poet Laureate
Only one problem you’re absolutely s***.

aveda

Post by aveda » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:32 pm

Dilly-dilly wrote:
If not matched off it .
Is 3-2-1 back ? No clue whatsoever

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:37 pm

Dilly-dilly's been on the Bud Lights again.

As for the game, the writing was on the wall as soon as Darlo_Pete inexplicably installed us as "firm favourites".

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:39 pm

aveda wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:32 pm
Dilly-dilly wrote:
If not matched off it .
Is 3-2-1 back ? No clue whatsoever
Maybe he means the management and the players are concerned that contracts are running out in some cases and the club aren't willing to discuss new contracts, so the players concerned may not be giving all they can if they think the club are deliberately stalling over their futures.

WHat the original poster is saying may be just gossip but if its not then we could well see some of our key players move on for nothing in the summer.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:55 pm

Can someone explain Connell’s booking?

It might just be a blind spot in my knowledge... but at first I thought he had handled outside the area and was baffled by the yellow... then I saw later on the twitter updates the free kick was *just* inside the box, and that it was for a back pass...

1) he didn’t catch it did he? (Maybe he did and dropped it quickly, my view was obstructed). If he didn’t catch it, that’s a save, not a back pass?
2) Since when is a back pass a yellow card?

Some Guiseley fans seemed to be calling for a red card which confused me also.

To be honest, we can moan about the referee (and he was terrible), but I also thought Wheatley probably should’ve been sent off.

A very bad performance, including from some key players. Hatfield looked rusty or unfit - I was baffled by that MOTM award. Martin was anonymous, and so was Rivers. Reid was plain poor today - his worst game for us by miles, I think he’s been a great signing but that was bad today. Donowa was the only player to emerge with any real credit (he should be playing at a much, much higher level). I thought Connell’s kicking looked a real liability as well. For me, Elliott is the better keeper.

Also - that formation at the end was ridiculous. We were lucky it wasn’t more than 3. At 0-2 down, it almost looked like we were playing 3-2-5 (If there was a formation at all). I like us going for it a bit... but come on.

A bad day at the office all around.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:04 pm

H1987 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:55 pm
Can someone explain Connell’s booking?

It might just be a blind spot in my knowledge... but at first I thought he had handled outside the area and was baffled by the yellow... then I saw later on the twitter updates the free kick was *just* inside the box, and that it was for a back pass...

1) he didn’t catch it did he? (Maybe he did and dropped it quickly, my view was obstructed). If he didn’t catch it, that’s a save, not a back pass?
2) Since when is a back pass a yellow card?

Some Guiseley fans seemed to be calling for a red card which confused me also.

To be honest, we can moan about the referee (and he was terrible), but I also thought Wheatley probably should’ve been sent off.

A very bad performance, including from some key players. Hatfield looked rusty or unfit - I was baffled by that MOTM award. Martin was anonymous, and so was Rivers. Reid was plain poor today - his worst game for us by miles, I think he’s been a great signing but that was bad today. Donowa was the only player to emerge with any real credit (he should be playing at a much, much higher level). I thought Connell’s kicking looked a real liability as well. For me, Elliott is the better keeper.

Also - that formation at the end was ridiculous. We were lucky it wasn’t more than 3. At 0-2 down, it almost looked like we were playing 3-2-5 (If there was a formation at all). I like us going for it a bit... but come on.

A bad day at the office all around.
Apparently the card was given for dissent. However when you see the video you will see the referee clearly gave it for handling the ball. Sums up the inept performance of the referee. He can put whatever he wants in the booking report and the club cant do anything about it.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:13 pm

A bit of perspective is needed here. Since early January we've actually played poorly in perhaps one and a half games of the last seven games... 90 minutes today and the second half against Chester. The rest have largely featured good football, spirit, commitment and organisation.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:14 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:13 pm
A bit of perspective is needed here. Since early January we've actually played poorly in perhaps one and a half games of the last seven games... 90 minutes today and the second half against Chester. The rest have largely featured good football, spirit, commitment and organisation.

Totally agree

dl10quaker

Post by dl10quaker » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:29 pm

Referee was correct to give an indirect free kick for their first goal. Hedley purposely played the ball back to Connell where it then bounced off his foot onto his hand/arm. The goalkeeper doesn’t need to catch the ball for it to be a back pass. But it’s not a bookable offence, presumably why the referee has then claimed it was for dissent.....

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:38 pm

First home game missed this season, sounds like I didn't miss much.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:41 pm

As has been said above. I can't remember who it was on the PL got this wrong a few years ago when a keeper got it passed back think it was either Cudicini or Bosnich (indicator of how long ago) and ref gave a yellow because picking it up was basically done deliberately to stop a goal. It was effectively confirmed at that point that it can't be a caution.

As loan_star says cautions can't be appealed mainly on basis that they have no impact beyond the game in question and it's not worth the admin to deal with it - well except if you clock up 5 in a short space of time or 10 in a longer space of time - but then it's kinda hard to point to a single decision.

Of course the club do score the referee which affect their position in the merit table and are able to comment on individual instances, they are also welcome to call up the PGMOL (as a lot of managers regularly do)...they tend to watch the footage back and clips are shared with coaches and used at the regular training events where errors were made.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:09 am

dl10quaker wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:29 pm
Referee was correct to give an indirect free kick for their first goal. Hedley purposely played the ball back to Connell where it then bounced off his foot onto his hand/arm. The goalkeeper doesn’t need to catch the ball for it to be a back pass. But it’s not a bookable offence, presumably why the referee has then claimed it was for dissent.....
Do they not?

I mean, I believe you, but I genuinely don’t think I have *ever* seen that rule applied before. In fact, while I’m struggling for specific examples off the top of my head, I’ve definitely seen goalkeepers save misplaced back passes and pretty sure I’ve never seen a free kick or card issued because of it.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:34 am

H1987 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:09 am
dl10quaker wrote:
Do they not?

I mean, I believe you, but I genuinely don’t think I have *ever* seen that rule applied before. In fact, while I’m struggling for specific examples off the top of my head, I’ve definitely seen goalkeepers save misplaced back passes and pretty sure I’ve never seen a free kick or card issued because of it.
If it deflects off a defender, its not a backpass, but if its a deliberate action by defender in kicking ball then it is a backpass.

It has to be kicked. A header is not a backpass

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:14 am

On MOTD last night a Liverpool defender under pressure booted the ball along the dead ball line and the keeper scooped it up. It looked like a back pass to me but wasn’t given.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:20 am

It was a bad day all round made worse by our rivals getting points.Think it was DFR prematch commentary on "Fortress Blackwell Meadows" that jinxed the whole thing.

Big test for the club is to whether we can put it behind us & regroup in time to launch another winning run to the end of the season, to get into the play-offs or just tamely settle for midtable this year.

Agreed, this season has been one of transition & rebuilding for AA, so a play-off spot would be an unexpected bonus this year

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:24 am

Just watched DH interview. Not sure how he didn’t get a view of Joes tackle from where he was stood on the touch line but it’s hard to disagree with everything else he said.

Another reference to the state of the pitch I see and I’ve been party to a private conversation on the subject after a game as well. I wonder just how much pressure, if any is being put on the rugby club to get this sorted because it’s plain to see it’s having an adverse affect on performance and ultimately our position in the league.

We were definitely second best yesterday though. No complaints about the result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:04 am

The pitch was awful. We stand right on the side of it (like most people) and virtually every pass by every player bobbled and jumped along the surface. I'd have to see it again but I think I'm right in saying that the state of the pitch was to blame for their first goal. It cost us yesterday - we couldn't pass up in the air because of the wind and we couldn't pass on the ground because of the pitch, and that's how we've been beating these "better" teams, by skilful passing. I realise that Guiseley coped better with conditions than us.

Since we've been at B.M I've been surprised at how well the pitch usually plays at this time of year. So what's gone wrong now?

Have the Rugby club had a lot of games lately or got some extra fat players rolling around - as Divas.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:45 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:04 am
The pitch was awful. We stand right on the side of it (like most people) and virtually every pass by every player bobbled and jumped along the surface. I'd have to see it again but I think I'm right in saying that the state of the pitch was to blame for their first goal. It cost us yesterday - we couldn't pass up in the air because of the wind and we couldn't pass on the ground because of the pitch, and that's how we've been beating these "better" teams, by skilful passing. I realise that Guiseley coped better with conditions than us.

Since we've been at B.M I've been surprised at how well the pitch usually plays at this time of year. So what's gone wrong now?

Have the Rugby club had a lot of games lately or got some extra fat players rolling around - as Divas.
Just another reason to leave if Rugby Club cannot or will not maintain the pitch properly.
They really take the piss and it’s hard to see how we can progress while we are so much under their control.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:09 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:04 am

I think last season especially there were a lot of fixture clashes that meant the rugby was played on the seconds pitch. This season there seems to have been far fewer. By the end of the season the pitch is usually knackered but it seems to have happened earlier this season despite the weather being fairly kind.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:13 am

Regarding the backpass incident. The rule was brought in many years ago to stop deliberate time wasting by players kicking the ball back and keepers picking it up. I fail to see how it could be construed as time wasting when it’s a misplaced pass due to a mistake which then just touches and arm/hand of the keeper and bounces off to their player anyway.

I’m not saying that the referee didn’t apply the letter of the law but the law seems odd if it’s original purpose was to stop the likes of Liverpool in the late 80s / 90s passing the ball between their defenders and back to the keeper.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:25 am

How would you write it then? The laws are generally proposed by IFAB and tested over a 2 year period in various levels of football to see how clubs will attempt to circumvent them. The results are then provided to clubs (admittedly mostly elite) as part of consultation on whether to implement.

The law has been like that as long as I've played and watched football I don't really think there is that much wrong.

It can go against you as much as for you. Didn't we get one this season which was dubious at best, against Walsall.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:36 am

Very strange game yesterday. The match reminded me of an FA Cup game where we were playing a team a few divisions above and we didn't get a sniff. Every clearance out of defence by them went to one of their players, so we hardly recycled anything. Every time we tried to come forward they pressed our midfield so hard that we surrendered possession almost immediately.

We seemed like a team of complete strangers yesterday. Movement off the ball was non-existent. The reason for this lies somewhere in the axis of the pitch, our own ineptitude, and Guiseley playing as well as they could. One other factor was the wind. Incredible bad luck that they had the benefit of a strong wind in the first half and we did well to limit them to one goal. Incredibly, the wind dropped at half time so we didn't gain any benefit in the 2nd half, so we were knackered by the start of the 2nd half after playing against it, which they should have had to have suffered but didn't. I think yesterday that anything that could go wrong did.

As for Gary Martin, he's not made a positive difference at all yet. A few people are moaning about him in this regard and have written him off. He hasn't had much service so far to be fair so we'll have to see.

For what it's worth I think our current position is about right for us. On our day we're capable of beating anyone. However, when we're bad, we're really bad.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:42 am

I checked the BBC forecast on Friday afternoon and they nailed it. They said 50 mph+ winds at 3pm falling to 20 mph at 4pm.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:42 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:14 am
On MOTD last night a Liverpool defender under pressure booted the ball along the dead ball line and the keeper scooped it up. It looked like a back pass to me but wasn’t given.
Yeh that was a blatant back pass missed.

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:44 am

IFAB Lawbook says “When the GK clearly kicks or tries to kick the ball into play, this shows no intention to handle the ball so, if the clearance attempt is unsuccessful, then goalkeeper can then handle the ball without committing an offense.”

On that basis, I’d suggest that no offence was committed by Liam.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:44 am

I'm pretty sure on that very wet night at Springfield Park when we lost 3-2 they scored from a free kick around the six yard line given for a back pass. That ground once held 40,000! And Robertson's pass was more of a sideways one yesterday.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:12 am

I once saw a game at the Riverside where a Boro defender was penalized for a forward pass to the keeper. Unless it’s changed, I don’t think the direction of the ball is relevant.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:48 am

Inaccurate wording then?! I've just looked it up and you're right. Would have been a free kick from the touchline.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:51 am

If you think the pitch at BM is bad just look at the state of this at Southport yesterday....

https://twitter.com/i/status/1223622537751474179

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:56 am

spen666 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:34 am
H1987 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:09 am
dl10quaker wrote:
Do they not?

If it deflects off a defender, its not a backpass, but if its a deliberate action by defender in kicking ball then it is a backpass.

It has to be kicked. A header is not a backpass
Did you misread my post? No one said a header can be a back pass.

I’m aware of the earlier point, but I have only ever seen that enforced when a goalkeeper picks the ball up.

I’ll assume you weren’t at our game, but for context, Hedley plays the ball back to Connell and mis hits it up in the air, Connell sticks out a hand and parries it (looked like it would have gone in otherwise).

Honestly, I have never seen a back pass enforced before in such a context, at any level of the game - and I’m absolutely sure I’ve seen keepers make saves from errant passes before unpunished.

At the time, myself and I think many others not in the tinshed or hospitality thought he must’ve handled it outside of the box and were baffled it wasn’t a red card (as it turns out he was *just* inside the box, but it was right on the edge).

Truly strange. I realise I could be wrong, but I cannot ever think of another incident of a back pass being given for a keeper not picking the ball up, just parrying it. I’m not doubting this may be the rule - but if it is the rule, it’s a damned stupid one. As pointed out above, it’s there to stop time wasting. Surely a keeper should be allowed to save a mis hit pass.