New kit

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New kit

Post by divas » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:02 pm

H1987 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:16 pm
The new one is really smart imo.

It’s also substantially different to this years I think. I’d like to see some variation on the thickness of hoops in future for sure, or a resurrection of the three thin hoops in particular.

The second choice actually grew on me though. To be honest, it was 1 and 4 from the original lot that I really had a problem with. 1 for being a god awful Newcastle looking thing, and 4 for being Reynolds era esque. The others were absolutely fine.

This wouldn’t have been a discussion if a hooped shirt was in the original options.
Sponsor placement often makes it quite difficult to vary hoop size unless you go really thin a la Glenwoods or thick enough to house the sponsor on a single hoop otherwise it tends to spoil the look.

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:08 pm

I’m pleased we kept the hoops/Hotizontal stripes. Since 2012 we’ve had a variation of them every season and I think we should adopt it as our identity. As a poster above said tradition has to start somewhere and I feel this is our chance to do it. We started out with this style then from the 50’s-90’s (Except for 89-91 and 95-96 of course) god knows what happened but they could have been Leeds, Fulham, Preston kits to name but a few. We need to stay away from vertical stripes too we have enough of those shirts in the area but with a different badge on the front!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:15 pm

TKOA wrote:I’m pleased we kept the hoops/Hotizontal stripes. Since 2012 we’ve had a variation of them every season and I think we should adopt it as our identity. As a poster above said tradition has to start somewhere and I feel this is our chance to do it. We started out with this style then from the 50’s-90’s (Except for 89-91 and 95-96 of course) god knows what happened but they could have been Leeds, Fulham, Preston kits to name but a few. We need to stay away from vertical stripes too we have enough of those shirts in the area but with a different badge on the front!
Agree with this. Some of the older brigade get sniffy because we’ve “only” worn hoops regularly since 2004. Why can’t we create new traditions? Just because it’s a recent development doesn’t mean it doesn’t count. I say recent, but 16 years is already a considerable length of time.

Plus it also ignores the fact, as you say, we wore hoops for a good length of time up to the mid-1950s.

I think creating an identity around the club will help make people feel part of the things. It’s one of the reasons we’ve struggled to retain supporters.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:16 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:00 am
lo36789 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:13 pm
A tradition is always decided upon ultimately they don't just happen by chance.

Why don't we alternate hoops and other if we start now and do it for the rest of time it becomes tradition right and is our identity.
Or given that clearly a significant percentage of our fanbase view hoops as being part of the club’s identity, let’s provide a hoop option as part of the vote every season.

Then fans get to decide exactly what they want. If they don’t like the hoop option, then they won’t vote for it. If they do, then that’s what the majority want so what’s the issue?

Seems more democratic than trying to control what they get to vote on.
Hold on a minute so we can create a tradition now.

I actually agree but it would be nice for some variation from time to time. I think the 56/44 split suggests there is a proportion of the fan base happy for a change and it would be daft to ignore them either you do the semi / final approach like we did this year again OR every 'say' 5 years we have a variation and a nod back to some historic kits or something entirely new.

We are quite limited on the variations we can propose as well given at our level we are not allowed a predominantly black kit - otherwise we could go for a white hoops on black version like the rugby club wear.

Darlogramps

New kit

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:39 am

lo36789 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:00 am
lo36789 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:13 pm
A tradition is always decided upon ultimately they don't just happen by chance.

Why don't we alternate hoops and other if we start now and do it for the rest of time it becomes tradition right and is our identity.
Or given that clearly a significant percentage of our fanbase view hoops as being part of the club’s identity, let’s provide a hoop option as part of the vote every season.

Then fans get to decide exactly what they want. If they don’t like the hoop option, then they won’t vote for it. If they do, then that’s what the majority want so what’s the issue?

Seems more democratic than trying to control what they get to vote on.
Hold on a minute so we can create a tradition now.
You’re going to have to point out to me where I said I was against new traditions.

I associate the club with hoops, as do a majority of supporters. My point all along was fans should get to choose. If the majority of fans choose for a change, then so be it. It shouldn’t be for the board to choose on a whim whether to change part of our identity without consulting fans (who own and fund the club).

I don’t agree with saying: “Every X number of years we won’t have hoops”. I do agree with putting a range of options, including hoops, to a vote each year and letting fans choose for themselves. That is the fairest and most democratic option.

Saying “we need to do something for the those who want a change” is like saying: “We need to give a prize for EVERYONE at school sports day.”

If you like the home kit, buy it. If you don’t like it, buy the away kit.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:10 pm

The hooped kit looks particularly good I think. One of the best we have had and will buy next season.

I was one of those who was up for a change but hey ho, I think the club did the right thing putting it to another vote with a hooped option.

The only depressing thing about this whole debate is realising that I am part of the "older brigade". Time sneaks up on you fast.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:23 pm

I am with others who have said on here, that new shirt not for me this year, but this is immaterial as I am sure all those people who voted will be buying and there are around 800 who voted so potentially good number of sales. This is not just about tradition, (although I have a fair number of shirts at home that are not hoops), it is also about raising money for the club, and kits are a source of finance into the club and that is much more important imo given our finance situation over the last few years.

Lets hope we don't have disappointing sales, will be interested to see comparisons year on year.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:01 pm

This could end up being the year where people have kicked off to have hoops, then the ones that have kicked off won't buy the shirt.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:43 pm

Would like to know what the numbers are for home and away shirt sales are in recent years. Suspect many buy one or the other so it could be swings and roundabouts. There is a limit to the total amount we will sell and if we sell more of one than the other as long as the aggregate sales are satisfactory that’s what matters. I admit I haven’t bought a home shirt for a few years but will buy one next season as a homage to hoops.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:04 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:43 pm
Would like to know what the numbers are for home and away shirt sales are in recent years. Suspect many buy one or the other so it could be swings and roundabouts. There is a limit to the total amount we will sell and if we sell more of one than the other as long as the aggregate sales are satisfactory that’s what matters. I admit I haven’t bought a home shirt for a few years but will buy one next season as a homage to hoops.
Not quite.

In order to get a bespoke design home shirt we have to commit to a minimum order quantity. Therefore if we don’t sell out quota of home shirts we have an issue of having leftover stock which then needs to at best be sold at cost and at worse at all loss, regardless of how many away shirts we sell

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:26 pm

There seems to be a theme running on this thread that states that those who voted one way or another will buy a kit, or those who voted one way in particular should buy a kit - neither of which I.M.O apply.

There will be many reasons why people will or won't buy, and a lot of these will be nothing to do with the vote.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

divas

Post by divas » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:46 pm

Precisely, voting about the kit isn’t necessarily about whether someone likes it to buy it but whether they want to see the team playing in it. Perhaps we should add a question to the vote next season to ask if they would likely buy if the design was chosen.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:54 pm

I've always found intention of action surveys a bit optimistic. Feels similar to net promoter which I have read that next to nobody who says they are extremely likely to recommend to someone else actually ever does.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:12 pm

NPS scores don’t really depend on people actually promoting the company, it’s all hypothetical to gauge customer satisfaction.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:10 pm

divas wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:12 pm
NPS scores don’t really depend on people actually promoting the company, it’s all hypothetical to gauge customer satisfaction.
It's used as such agree - the point was more when people are asked about an intended action that isn't necessary what they will do - so it is imperfect if that is what you are trying to assess.

I guess it depends on positioning / desired outcome. Though "how likely are you to buy this shirt?" may be useful to gauge preference for one shirt over another I am not actually sure it wouldn't give a particularly meaningful view on how many will actually buy one shirt over another (which I thought was the original suggestion)

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:22 am

StevieMardenboro wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:10 pm
The hooped kit looks particularly good I think. One of the best we have had and will buy next season.

I was one of those who was up for a change but hey ho, I think the club did the right thing putting it to another vote with a hooped option.

The only depressing thing about this whole debate is realising that I am part of the "older brigade". Time sneaks up on you fast.
But you are old :D

I've seen the shirt and it reminds me of the ISL shirt from Brian Little's team.

divas

Post by divas » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:07 pm

Norm_D_Ploom wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:22 am
I've seen the shirt and it reminds me of the ISL shirt from Brian Little's team.
Glad you picked up on that as that was the shirt it was based on - it was going to be even more similar original but we had to tweak a few things

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:36 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:21 am
lo36789 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:35 am
Old Git wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:02 pm
Totally agree. None of them are proper Darlington shirts. Black and white hoops are distinctive and unique and I bet loads of other teams would like to have that.
To be fair that first one is pretty similar to our kit from 1889 (black strip down the middle).

We had stripes, quarters and a solid black vertical strip all before we ever had hoops.

In fact I think in our 127 year history I am not sure we have worn hoops for even 50% of it.

I like the quarters throwback that's why 3 gets my vote.
http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Darling ... ington.htm

It's only relatively recently that hoops have become the norm based on that

Looking at our history, a 'proper' darlington shirt is black and white. That's the common thread running throughout our historical kits. All 4 of the available shirts fulfill that criteria.

I'm sure we will be back in hoops the season after next, so I'm not sure what the furore is in certain quarters.
This is a great link put up by al-quaker at the start of this thread - I missed it first time around. I particularly like the kit from 97/98. Not only does it bring back good memories it also has a great look and is a different take on the hoop situation. I think a non hooped shirt can and should prevail at some point but it needs to be imaginative and striking, it needs to special.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:27 pm

Might just be me - but those kits all have a player that I can jus remember wearing it...

96/97 - Andy Crosby
97/98 - Mario Dorner
98/99 - Jesper Hjorth
99/00 - Richard Hodgson
...I get a bit of a blank here for some reason...
03/04 - Clark Keltie
04/05 - Clyde Wijnard
05/06 - Hutchinson (can't remember his first name)

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:51 pm

Ryan wasn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:12 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:27 pm
Might just be me - but those kits all have a player that I can jus remember wearing it...

96/97 - Andy Crosby
97/98 - Mario Dorner
98/99 - Jesper Hjorth
99/00 - Richard Hodgson
03/04 - Clark Keltie
04/05 - Clyde Wijnard
Joey Hutchinson it was. Recently given leave to take a holiday company to court for a 10 million or so case after he was seriously injured jumping into a pool.

Good player for us, but I think he had a couple of injuries that set him back.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:21 pm

Andy Crosby!!!

I can remember the Tinshed giving him hell after he let on he wanted to leave. Then in one of his last home games, he carelessly put the ball out for a corner near the end which then led to a goal and even Hodgie went mad with him.

His final Darlo performances didn't go well.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:18 am

tdk1 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:27 pm

96/97 - Andy Crosby
97/98 - Mario Dorner
98/99 - Jesper Hjorth
99/00 - Richard Hodgson
03/04 - Clark Keltie
04/05 - Clyde Wijnard
Joey Hutchinson it was. Recently given leave to take a holiday company to court for a 10 million or so case after he was seriously injured jumping into a pool.

It’s a really sad story to be honest. He wound up paralysed from the chest down following the accident and needs 24 hour care.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-51377470

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:38 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:18 am
tdk1 wrote:Joey Hutchinson it was. Recently given leave to take a holiday company to court for a 10 million or so case after he was seriously injured jumping into a pool.

It’s a really sad story to be honest. He wound up paralysed from the chest down following the accident and needs 24 hour care.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-51377470
Yeah, as if he hadn't already had enough bad luck with injuries as it was. I was always a big fan of his - he's got to be one of the most talented centre halves we've had in the post-Feethams era.

I really hope he's able to have the best quality of life possible going forward.

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:06 pm

divas wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:07 pm
Norm_D_Ploom wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:22 am
Glad you picked up on that as that was the shirt it was based on - it was going to be even more similar original but we had to tweak a few things
Thank you. The other thing that I read was that it is going to be paired with black shorts and white socks. I always used to prefer it when the team wore black socks but the 89 -91 kit had white socks so it all starts to make sense now.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:37 pm

Strange how wandering the internet turns things up. I was looking at East Stirlingshire's site (after reading the excellent book "pointless" ) and there is a nifty, different black and white hooped kit with space for the sponsor and the hoops extending on to the sleeves. One for the future?!
https://eaststirlingshirefc.co.uk/archives/5275

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:46 pm

Got to admit that away shirt looks quite Trendy too.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:01 pm

Please no :shock: