Price Of Football (Twitter)

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quaker85
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by Quaker85 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:09 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/KieranMaguir ... 0856482817

Who do you think this refers to Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H1987

Re: Price Of Football (Twitter)

Post by H1987 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:03 pm

Is he still without a club?

Pretty stunned with how this has played out for him. He’d absolutely have been better staying here on non contract terms than whatever he took at Bradford.

Mind you, I wouldn’t have him back after that Twitter outburst he had.

bga

Post by bga » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:22 pm

H1987 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:03 pm
Is he still without a club?

Pretty stunned with how this has played out for him. He’d absolutely have been better staying here on non contract terms than whatever he took at Bradford.

Mind you, I wouldn’t have him back after that Twitter outburst he had.
Quite simply he became a poorer player after he left us. Attitude appears all wrong. No way would I have him back.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:08 pm

He is playing for Longridge Town over Preston way

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:22 pm

They are NWC Prem I think? Got a fair bit of money behind them though!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:03 pm

What the hell has gone wrong there. From the euphoria of his Scottish Prem deal after he was excellent for us game after game to playing in front of 150 people in the NWC, it's been an awful decline. And he's gone rapidly downhill in a relatively short space of time. He looked a liability in his second stint with us and that was repeated at Bradford PA before he slumped further down the pyramid. It's a real shame but for whatever reason he hasn't looked anywhere near the same player.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:21 pm

Very sad the way it turned out. Thought he had the makings of another Dan Burns, but perhaps early success went to his head. He was never the finished product when he left us but plenty of potential.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:54 pm

He clearly has loads of ability, but it's sadly not been on show since he left us the first time. I hope Josh sorts himself out & proves the doubters wrong.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:18 pm

Here’s another price of football :

Did you know that if Darlington were drawn away to a PL club in the FA cup, we would have to pay half of the VAR costs? Currently £9500 + VAT !!

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:49 pm

Quaker85 wrote:Here’s another price of football :

Did you know that if Darlington were drawn away to a PL club in the FA cup, we would have to pay half of the VAR costs? Currently £9500 + VAT !!

That's just a dream to play at a premier league ground Image

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:15 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:18 pm
Here’s another price of football :

Think gate receipts may cover that and still leave a few quid left over

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:41 pm

And to think we'd probably be still stitched up like poor Shrewsbury town were at anfield on Tuesday - heel offside in the build up indeed - pathetic just snot the tool to favour the big clubs.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:42 pm

That was meant to read another tool apologies

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:49 pm

Mister e wrote:And to think we'd probably be still stitched up like poor Shrewsbury town were at anfield on Tuesday - heel offside in the build up indeed - pathetic just snot the tool to favour the big clubs.
I do love the victim mentality some have. VAR is applied equally for all clubs.

It’s got its problems, no doubt, but you can put your tinfoil hat away and bore off with the conspiracy theory nonsense.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:38 am

Surely it would work better if any part of a player is onside the goal stood after all what happened to favouring the attacking side has for conspiracy theories gramps have a look at some of the decisions which have gone both Liverpool and Tottenham's way this season surely you must agree bar is killing the game.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:40 am

Hit the wrong key again var I mean obviously

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:12 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Mister e wrote:And to think we'd probably be still stitched up like poor Shrewsbury town were at anfield on Tuesday - heel offside in the build up indeed - pathetic just snot the tool to favour the big clubs.

It’s got its problems, no doubt, but you can put your tinfoil hat away and bore off with the conspiracy theory nonsense.
You might want to reword that Gramps because it certainly ain’t applied equally for all clubs. Only premier league grounds have VAR.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:12 am

VAR isn't perfect but maybe it's the inconsistency of application and/or the law that needs looking at. I agree it's ridiculous that a toe, shoulder or hand can make it offside but I don't believe there's a conspiracy theory. If there was VAR at Shrewsbury and they'd gone through on a dodgy decision you wouldn't be complaining. Think it's a bit like penalties, evening out over the season. I like to think that despite their faults our referees don't cheat. I feel it's spoiling the spontaneity in celebrating a goal then being deflated by a decision. I love that at our level the ref gives a goal and it's a goal.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:37 am

If you believe referees don't cheat dontbuythesun then just you watch the latest episode of Inside No.9.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:06 am

Quaker85 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

You might want to reword that Gramps because it certainly ain’t applied equally for all clubs. Only premier league grounds have VAR.

I don’t have to reword it because everyone knows exactly what I mean. Pedantry is so tedious.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:12 am

Mister e wrote:Surely it would work better if any part of a player is onside the goal stood after all what happened to favouring the attacking side has for conspiracy theories gramps have a look at some of the decisions which have gone both Liverpool and Tottenham's way this season surely you must agree bar is killing the game.
Nope I don’t. I actually think VAR improves the game in the sense that we get more correct decisions (anyone who says: “Incorrect decisions are part of the game” is clearly a moron).

I won’t dispute that changes need to be made to how VAR works. It’s currently too slow and doesn’t have enough communication with fans.
My personal preference would be for a challenge system, like in cricket.

But to say added technology is killing the game is melodramatic, sensationalist twaddle. People came up with the same nonsense when goal-line technology was about to be introduced. “We don’t need it, it’s all part of the game.” Yet it works seamlessly. VAR is different but with some improvements it’s a benefit to the game.

And I see you have no hard facts to back up your conspiracy theory. Thought as much.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:05 am

Mister e wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:38 am
Surely it would work better if any part of a player is onside the goal stood after all what happened to favouring the attacking side has for conspiracy theories gramps have a look at some of the decisions which have gone both Liverpool and Tottenham's way this season surely you must agree bar is killing the game.
You mean when Firmino was offside by his armpit? Was that a time when VAR went in Liverpool favour.

Not going to lie I'm not a massive fan of current implementation. I think it is getting involved in too many subjective decisions and then being overly forensic on others.

The law is the law on offside. It always has been your toe is offside you are offside that is nothing to do with VAR it's just highlighted it more. Personally I'd rather we stuck to clear and obvious - if you need to draw lines on a screen it isn't clear and it isn't obvious. They should get a time limit on how long to look at it and have to make a call if they don't the on field decision stands.

I actually think now the clubs have voted to allow officials to go to the sideline might actually change it. The media seem to keep forgetting that it has been allowed in FA Cup because the FA (run the competition and approved) but not in the PL (because the members - the clubs did not) - it was just easier for Lineker and crew to sit their bemoaning officials decisions not to do it.

It should effectively means that the VAR won't instruct referee over unless he is 100% sure that the referee will overturn his own decision. That should avoid some of those that I haven't been that convinced by eg. Son's red card for Spurs would have been correct but was overturned incorrectly by VAR.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:15 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:06 am
Quaker85 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

I don’t have to reword it because everyone knows exactly what I mean. Pedantry is so tedious.
A lecture on tedium from Gramps. Priclesss :lol:

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:58 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:06 am
Quaker85 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

A lecture on tedium from Gramps. Priclesss :lol:
Might need a few lectures on spelling too....

Always interesting how, whenever people pick a fight with me, they always end up trying to make it about me. Almost as if they struggle to come up with an argument so attack the person instead.

Stick to the topic and everyone is happy.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:38 am

Getting back OT, Josh was playing in this game :

http://www.northernfootballleague.org/b ... e-wringer/

bga

Post by bga » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:47 am

Quaker85 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:38 am

That Number 9 Army who played for us? I always thought we got rid of him too quick......lights touch paper!

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:48 am

bga wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:47 am
Quaker85 wrote:

That Number 9 Army who played for us? I always thought we got rid of him too quick......lights touch paper!
We didn’t get rid of him,he wanted out.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:56 am

Emdubya wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:48 am
bga wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:47 am
Quaker85 wrote:

We didn’t get rid of him,he wanted out.
Thanks I stand corrected.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:46 pm

Was going to say isn't he a full time teacher so couldn't really commit at NLN level?

Regardless he has moved down the divisions ever since he left us so I am not sure that justifies a "let go too quick" perspective either.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:40 pm

Didn’t stay OT for very long