Guiseley

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Guiseley

Post by lo36789 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:00 am

Darlo2807 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:47 pm
IFAB, changing football for the worse, just to look like they’re actually doing something.
So you would prefer what Connell did to be a handball offence?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:02 am

al_quaker wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:11 pm
So the referee literally didn't know what he was doing? Sums him up
Not quite. He knew exactly what he was doing. It's just what he was doing happened to be incorrect.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:43 pm

Honestly, our pitch is in line with what to expect at this level, and it's had 8 games on it in two months. It's really not that bad. When we first announced the groundshare, I expected a pitch far worse than what we have now. It's probably in better nick than Bishop ever was at this time of year.

There's numerous worse pitches in the division, that will not have had the same number of games on it in a short period of time, and don't have rugby played on them either. Southport's is a disgrace, Blyth's is awful, Gloucester's and Farsley's look like they have cows grazing on it when they're not playing football.

There's not that many I look at and think they're better... admittedly I don't watch highlights of everyone, i've just seen these ones recently. Gateshead's is one that really springs to mind, and it's not perfect. Spendy's is pretty good too (and is to be expected, given the amount of money they've spent on it only this year). The others? Meh. Blackwell is no better than Bootham Crescent based on their highlights this week.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:15 pm

H1987 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:43 pm
It's really not that bad.
I completely disagree - at the moment I think it's awful, but we clearly aren't going to agree. Holloway highlighting the pitch in his PMI suggests that the coaching staff think it's not very good, and they and the players are best placed to judge it really. Let's just hope it improves, as being unable to pass the ball along the floor without it bobbling will do nothing to help us play the type of football we are set up to play.

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:58 pm

The playing surface has been dire recently. It looks better than it actually plays and certainly doesn't compliment the way we want to play the game.

Not that there's anything the club can probably do to rectify the issue, with reluctant landlords putting the bare minimum into its upkeep.
Craig Liddle is God!!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:57 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:15 pm
H1987 wrote:
I completely disagree - at the moment I think it's awful, but we clearly aren't going to agree. Holloway highlighting the pitch in his PMI suggests that the coaching staff think it's not very good, and they and the players are best placed to judge it really. Let's just hope it improves, as being unable to pass the ball along the floor without it bobbling will do nothing to help us play the type of football we are set up to play.
I mean within context. It's clearly not in great shape, but i'm just pointing out there's loads of grounds all over the countries in a worse state, and it's seen an awful lot of action recently. I've just had a quick look at fortunately the egg chasers only had three home games over that December and January period. But all in that adds up to 11 games in around 60 days. It's no wonder it's chewing up to some extent.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:18 pm

H1987 wrote:
. The others? Meh. Blackwell is no better than Bootham Crescent based on their highlights this week.

No better or no worse? I went to York's last home game and I can assure you it was much better than our pitch was on Saturday.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:28 pm

al_quaker wrote:
H1987 wrote:
The coaching staff weren’t happy about the state of the pitch way back in November so gawd knows what they think of it now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:53 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:18 pm
H1987 wrote:
. The others? Meh. Blackwell is no better than Bootham Crescent based on their highlights this week.

No better or no worse? I went to York's last home game and I can assure you it was much better than our pitch was on Saturday.
It certainly doesn't look it from highlights with their game with Chester. Ball is bobbling about on the deck and plenty of muddy patches.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:07 pm

Croft Park, Blyth, is just about as bobbly as you get, it's far worse than BM and has been like that season after season. Have a look at the highlights of any game there. Kettering is a shocker. Bradford PA has been poor in the past but they spent money on it more recently and have now submitted an application to go 3G which will cost half-a-million quid.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:57 pm

H1987 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:53 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:18 pm
H1987 wrote:

It certainly doesn't look it from highlights with their game with Chester. Ball is bobbling about on the deck and plenty of muddy patches.
It was the week before V Kettering that I was there, so I see your point. York's pitch does look ropey against Chester on Saturday - they have Rugby played on it the same as us.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:45 am

York Knights RL have so far only played one game at home this season, a friendly on 19th Jan.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:54 am

Quaker85 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:45 am
York Knights RL have so far only played one game at home this season, a friendly on 19th Jan.

Shhhhhh. It is so easy to blame the rugby club. Why spoil things with a few facts.

Looking forward to seeing them this weekend v Bradford.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:54 pm

I have a few mates who are york knight fans, they don't appear to be enamored about sharing with footy club to be honest, they think rugby club is well managed, (it does look that way), and the foot club not.
Rugby league season just starting so little impact on yorks ground at the moment.

Me I am going to Hull fc vs Hull KR game on friday.

bga

Post by bga » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:34 pm

50 years wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:54 pm
I have a few mates who are york knight fans, they don't appear to be enamored about sharing with footy club to be honest, they think rugby club is well managed, (it does look that way), and the foot club not.
Rugby league season just starting so little impact on yorks ground at the moment.

Me I am going to Hull fc vs Hull KR game on friday.
Look at Headingly pitch last weekend for start of Super League season. It is awful I think the rugby union team Leeds Carnegie play there but it is still awful for the "opening" weekend. At least BM grass is cut short i remember on here in the past fans moaning about it being too long to suit the rugby club!

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:09 am

Spare a thought for Tadcaster and there pitch currently[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2020021 ... a89874.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:35 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:09 am
Spare a thought for Tadcaster and there pitch currently

Got to feel for them as a club but this is coming a yearly occurance for them. It's a lovely spot they have by the river but I can't imagine after all the problems they've had, any insurance company would want to touch them (without some extortionate premiums in place). You'd fear that one day they'd have an event similar to Gloucester where the damage was so bad they'd be forced to move out and might never get back. You sometimes wonder whether they would be better placed selling the land to developers and using proceeds to build themselves something elsewhere in the town away from danger.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:58 am

Ramsbottom and Garstang are submerged as well after yesterday.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:15 pm

JE93 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:35 am
You sometimes wonder whether they would be better placed selling the land to developers and using proceeds to build themselves something elsewhere in the town away from danger.
And what would the developers develop on land that is regularly underwater? A open air swimming pool maybe?

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:44 pm

loan_star wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:15 pm
JE93 wrote:
You sometimes wonder whether they would be better placed selling the land to developers and using proceeds to build themselves something elsewhere in the town away from danger.
And what would the developers develop on land that is regularly underwater? A open air swimming pool maybe?
Plenty of developments are made on floodplains. If the finances are right on the deal developers will make it work, especially given their ground is near the town centre with good links to the A64 to take you into York. Seem to remember the initial work on the Feethams housing site was to raise the ground level to prevent flooding. Far more likely developers will have the capital to do it than a small regional football club.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:42 pm

JE93 wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:15 pm
JE93 wrote:
Plenty of developments are made on floodplains. If the finances are right on the deal developers will make it work, especially given their ground is near the town centre with good links to the A64 to take you into York. Seem to remember the initial work on the Feethams housing site was to raise the ground level to prevent flooding. Far more likely developers will have the capital to do it than a small regional football club.
I'm afraid old Humphrey Smith just wouldn't allow it..

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:22 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:07 pm
Croft Park, Blyth, is just about as bobbly as you get, it's far worse than BM and has been like that season after season. Have a look at the highlights of any game there. Kettering is a shocker. Bradford PA has been poor in the past but they spent money on it more recently and have now submitted an application to go 3G which will cost half-a-million quid.
Bradford "on a shoe string" Park Avenue have found another 500,000 notes to fund a 3G pitch? Quelle surprise.

Oh well, at least they can pretend that they're sustainably ran due to the riches brought in by 4 kids 5 a side matches played on it every week.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:39 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Spare a thought for Tadcaster and there pitch currently]

Got to feel sorry for them https://www.tadalbion.com/news/press-re ... 12111.html.

They're thinking £50k minimum to repair the damage they have been able to assess, and they haven't been able to assess things like floodlights etc yet as the flooding hasn't receded enough. With another storm on the way it doesn't look good for them, hope there's a solution that can see them continue.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:54 pm

I've been down to watch them a few times on dead Tuesday nights when they've been playing the nearest fixture to Darlington. You couldn't find a friendlier little club. They've always struggled financially though had manager Curtis Woodhouse poached by Gainsborough trinity earlier this season. I sincerely hope that they pull through from this latest devastation.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:29 pm

JE93 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:39 pm
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

Got to feel sorry for them https://www.tadalbion.com/news/press-re ... 12111.html.

They're thinking £50k minimum to repair the damage they have been able to assess, and they haven't been able to assess things like floodlights etc yet as the flooding hasn't receded enough. With another storm on the way it doesn't look good for them, hope there's a solution that can see them continue.
Its awful situation/. Even if the £50k could be found , this would only repair the current damage and it will happen again next time there is flooding.

Its devastating for such a friendly go ahead club, but not sure what the alternative is unless they can somehow find a location that is not prone to flooding.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:32 pm

spen666 wrote:
JE93 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:39 pm
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

Its awful situation/. Even if the £50k could be found , this would only repair the current damage and it will happen again next time there is flooding.

Its devastating for such a friendly go ahead club, but not sure what the alternative is unless they can somehow find a location that is not prone to flooding.
It's so sad to see this great little friendly club in dirastats especially when another storm will hit this weekend... I've seen this flooding at Tad first hand and it's not great as you can imagine