Farewell to Feethams

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

en passant
Team Supported: Darlington

Farewell to Feethams

Post by en passant » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:24 am

As we in a period that might be termed a Slow News Fortnight, I thought I would mention having come across a few papers related to our last game at Feethams, which include the match programme that I remember having to think twice before buying at pretty hefty (for the time) £5. Looking through it now it seems pretty good value as it contains a number of memorable match and historical details, along with some great photographs. Amongst the information about that historic day I found the names of the two mascots for that day, and it made me wonder if they had grown up to remain fans of the club. I would like to think that our current moves to create a new fan base for the club will bear fruit in the future, but the sad facts are that these days we can only dream of getting a crowd that would reach half the number who turned up for that last game at Feethams (5,723).

don'tbuythesun

Re: Farewell to Feethams

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:14 am

That was one of the few games we ever managed to get to at Feethams, five of us travelled in our "farewell to Feethams" t shirts and had a great afternoon. We even called in at the Arena and George made a point of coming down to welcome us. Oh if I'd only known then what I know now.....

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:35 pm

All I can recall of that day now is the grey skies... Maybe it was a sign of things to come?

I remember telling myself not to look back as I walked out after the match, so what did I go and do? Big mistake.

I also remember a few people saying on the old rivals board claiming that the Arena would be the death of Darlington F.C, many of us shot them down and dismissed them as doom mongers, how right they were. In fairness though I don't think even they could have anticipated back then we'd be where we are now it seems surreal sometimes how the club has devolved.

On a side note though the programme was well worth buying! I still have it lying around in a wardrobe somewhere along with the Northern Echo supplements although they're looking a little a dated to say the least.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:16 pm

Two lasting souvenirs are the names given to parts of the housing estate - Greener Drive and Peverell Walk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:01 pm

I can remember Reynolds bigging it up pitch side shaking the hands of the ex players as they came out of the tunnel. Some of these players shunned him and refused to shake his hand. I took some photos that day, and I remember it as a sad day. :thumbdown:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!