Coronavirus.

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12887
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Coronavirus.

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:44 pm

Well it's landed in the north east, are many people worried. I'm in a job where I have to visit lots of people in their homes. At least if I can't do my job I will still be paid. It must be very worrying for those people who don't have contracts or who are self-employed. The implications for football could be massive if games have to be played behind closed doors, especially further down the pyramid like clubs at Darlo's level. The big clubs rely very little on gate receipts, but for clubs at our level, it is the difference between survival & bankruptcy, unless you have Brad to bankroll you!!!

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 2044
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:34 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Well it's landed in the north east, are many people worried. I'm in a job where I have to visit lots of people in their homes. At least if I can't do my job I will still be paid. It must be very worrying for those people who don't have contracts or who are self-employed. The implications for football could be massive if games have to be played behind closed doors, especially further down the pyramid like clubs at Darlo's level. The big clubs rely very little on gate receipts, but for clubs at our level, it is the difference between survival & bankruptcy, unless you have Brad to bankroll you!!!
Worrying times Pete, we are due to fly to Tenerife but would rather we could cancel and get a refund which we cannot.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12887
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:51 am

Yep unless the Government change their travel advice you are faced with a stark choice, go & risk possibly getting stuck there or losing all your money you spent on the holiday, a terrible choice to make. This virus will have a massive effect on the economy. It's hard to see a sector that won't be adversely affected, our beloved football club as well. Let's hope it's not going to be as bad as we all fear.

lo36789
Posts: 8644
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by lo36789 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:52 pm

No respect handshakes in games this weekend by sounds of it.

Teams will still have to line up and cross over but can't shake hands will be a bit bizarre.

Old Git
Posts: 458
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by Old Git » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:39 pm

Think we all need to get a grip. Of course it is potentially a serious problem but lets face it there is little the Government or we as individuals can do to stop the spread of Coronavirus.
It is out there now and will spread and we will have to live with the consequences. The implications for trade and business are immense and our club will not be immune from the effects. I believe we should all carry on as normal as much as we can.
Myself and my wife were both ill just before Christmas with a similar virus and who knows whether that could have been Coronavirus or not? Lets face the Chinese were slow in recognising the disease and it could have been around for a while.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12887
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:36 pm

They say that some people may be carrying the virus & not showing any symptoms. It's hard to see how we an fight such a virus. There is a danger that the world could be pushed into a worldwide recession. It's hard to fathom that a virus can have such a profound effect on the world economy.

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11854
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by Spyman » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:03 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:They say that some people may be carrying the virus & not showing any symptoms. It's hard to see how we an fight such a virus. There is a danger that the world could be pushed into a worldwide recession. It's hard to fathom that a virus can have such a profound effect on the world economy.
200,000 people die each year from Norovirus
60,000 people die each year from Flu

It's hard to fathom why everyone is shiting themselves so much about this. Yes we want to contain the spread of a new virus but it's hardly going to end the world.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12887
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:26 am

I can't see it being long before far more drastic measures are brought in by the Government, as the virus appears to not be containable.

karlo-cardiff
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:16 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by karlo-cardiff » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:13 am

Of course its containable, it's all hyped up to sound worse than it is.. The big pharmaceutical companies will soon release a new super vaccine and everyone will rush out and stockpile this new amazing life saving drug making millions in the process. If you put things into perspective youll see its just the media overreacting as always

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk


lo36789
Posts: 8644
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by lo36789 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:33 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:26 am
as the virus appears to not be containable.
Almost gone viral...wonder where that word derives from.
Spyman wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:03 pm
200,000 people die each year from Norovirus
60,000 people die each year from Flu

It's hard to fathom why everyone is shiting themselves so much about this. Yes we want to contain the spread of a new virus but it's hardly going to end the world.
I think some people make money from it I saw Kelvin Mackenzie and Piers Morgan were side by side on Good Morning Britain this morning. I flicked over and 25 seconds later had to switch off as it was just fear and divisive opinions being shouted over anyone else who dared speak.

PierremontQuaker03
Posts: 1849
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:10 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:33 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:26 am
as the virus appears to not be containable.
Almost gone viral...wonder where that word derives from.
Spyman wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:03 pm
200,000 people die each year from Norovirus
60,000 people die each year from Flu

It's hard to fathom why everyone is shiting themselves so much about this. Yes we want to contain the spread of a new virus but it's hardly going to end the world.
I think some people make money from it I saw Kelvin Mackenzie and Piers Morgan were side by side on Good Morning Britain this morning. I flicked over and 25 seconds later had to switch off as it was just fear and divisive opinions being shouted over anyone else who dared speak.
Before that Piers was speaking to Dr Hillary - was a complete waste of time as it was Piers just mouthing off and Hillary hardly even spoke!
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12887
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:12 pm

Things seem to be going from bad to worse & I think it is only a question of time before it becomes a pandemic & there will be a serious risk to live sport in general & specifically non-league football.

lo36789
Posts: 8644
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by lo36789 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:51 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:12 pm
Things seem to be going from bad to worse & I think it is only a question of time before it becomes a pandemic & there will be a serious risk to live sport in general & specifically non-league football.
I mean maybe...except modelling by medical experts indicates that stopping public gatherings particularly those which are outdoors has limited impact as the virus would struggle to transmit outdoors. I have no idea but I don't know why you would question the deputy chief medical officer - I reckon she knows a bit more than Rory Stewart who seems to want to close the country down.

Other counties have banned gatherings about 1000 people I think as a result it specifically doesn't impact non-league football.

I am quite impressed by the UK response to be honest its reasonably calm, driven by data and determined by science.

I am enjoying the media stood outside hospitals going on about strain on hospital beds etc. then mentioned that the hospital staff themselves have pretty much said it's business as usual. Which given we have 319 cases of which at worst 10% require medical treatment so of 1900 hospitals in the UK there have been an extra 30ish admissions.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12887
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:05 am

Given the models of outbreaks in other worse affected countries, I think it is reasonable to assume that things will get far worse before things begin to improve. I do agree that the Government are on top of this & they are not sensationalising the virus. But there will come a time when they will have to change there advice, which will effect all aspects of our lives the economy, jobs & sport. How much the overall effect will be nobody knows.

lo36789
Posts: 8644
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by lo36789 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:13 am

I think it's pretty well known 9/10 people who contract the virus will have a cough for a few days.

1/10 will require hospital treatment and a fraction of them will as a result of underlying health conditions sadly pass away.

The point is the steps being taken are proportionate to the risk exposed, projected rate of increase is unknown but clearly as things stand are not the most likely outcome otherwise those steps would be taken now to prevent escalation.

Many nations have had single digits in terms of people contracting the virus and it's been weeks since their last confirmed case.

lo36789
Posts: 8644
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by lo36789 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:21 am

Have to remember 319 will be the lower end of people who actually have the virus. I saw something the other day which indicated in circumstances like this confirmed cases is very much the tip of the iceberg as simply speaking many who get it don't even really acknowledge their symptoms or seek a diagnosis.

The irony of course is that 25,000 people have tested and 319 confirmed cases that means that 24,681 people had "something else" causing their coronavirus like symptoms.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12887
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:12 am

First case confirmed in Darlo, worrying times.

lo36789
Posts: 8644
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by lo36789 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:38 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51829511

when does precaution become fear?

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12887
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:45 am

How long before everything is closed down, I don't think it's a question of if but when.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12887
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:07 pm

The death toll shoots up to 21, looks like life as we know it, will temporarily be coming to an end. Baton down the hatches.

Old Git
Posts: 458
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by Old Git » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:30 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:07 pm
The death toll shoots up to 21, looks like life as we know it, will temporarily be coming to an end. Baton down the hatches.
Wish someone would baton you down. You really seem to enjoy stating the bleeding obvious!

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12887
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:13 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:30 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:07 pm
The death toll shoots up to 21, looks like life as we know it, will temporarily be coming to an end. Baton down the hatches.
Wish someone would baton you down. You really seem to enjoy stating the bleeding obvious!
So am I not supposed to mention it then?

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12887
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:57 am

Blimey this is really getting bad, jobs & livelihoods are being badly affected, 55 people have lost their lives & no doubt that number will only continue to increase. People in the leisure & tourist sectors must be really fearing the worst.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12887
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:50 am

I've been told that I can't do my job anymore, so having to take holiday for the remainder of this week. Goodness knows what will happen next week, worrying times.

norwich darlo
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:19 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by norwich darlo » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:19 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:34 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:Well it's landed in the north east, are many people worried. I'm in a job where I have to visit lots of people in their homes. At least if I can't do my job I will still be paid. It must be very worrying for those people who don't have contracts or who are self-employed. The implications for football could be massive if games have to be played behind closed doors, especially further down the pyramid like clubs at Darlo's level. The big clubs rely very little on gate receipts, but for clubs at our level, it is the difference between survival & bankruptcy, unless you have Brad to bankroll you!!!
Worrying times Pete, we are due to fly to Tenerife but would rather we could cancel and get a refund which we cannot.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We have family that live in Tenerife and as of yesterday, the place is in lockdown with the police and army patrolling the streets so you should get
your money back.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 679
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:53 am

I do most of my shopping online these days. Went on last night to book a Tesco delivery. Can't get 1 until 31st !!!! Panic shopping with delivery?

Anyway, I went in this morning to pick up a few things. Can't believe what I saw. As my daughter is manager of the staff canteen and my son in law works the fish counter I know most of the staff quite well. Chatting to a few of them,(yes, from a safe distance), had to laugh at some of the stories of people's stupidity they told me.
Quiet bizarrely, while shelves are are empty or barely stocked, the fish and butchery counters were well stocked with fresh produce.

Apparently people need a million bog rolls, but no fresh meat !!!!!

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12887
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:44 pm

I went into the main Sainsbury's in Victoria Rd last night to buy a few things & the number of empty shelves was frightening. Barely no fruit apart from oranges, no fresh meat, no dry pasta, virtually no bread & definitely no bog rolls. When I need something I think I'll have to go in at 7am before the shelves are stripped bare by the hoarders. Worrying times.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12887
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:43 pm

Wow everything is shutting down, really grim times ahead for everybody.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 679
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:58 pm

I was glad they finally bit the bullet and ordered bars to close. They can now claim off insurance to ease stress.

That said, I was just sat listening to the chancellor and what they have done and it really is a remarkable job the government have done in trying to help people. All added together we are in a fantasyland of money, but no-one can say they have not pulled all the stops out in trying to help people and businesses survive long term.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12887
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:13 pm

Almost everybody I've talked too says that Boris & the Conservatives have done a fantastic job so far, under very difficult circumstances.

Post Reply