Rugby League

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

EDJOHNS
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:37 pm

Now Robbie Mulhern goes down. That is bad for us and England knights.

30-16 with about 10 to go. Does not tell the whole story as we have been over the line twice more only to be pulled back for a forward pass. 1 of which was very iffy.

Manfredi just saved another by hacking the ball out of play to set up a second drop out from under the posts.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:45 pm

3 minutes to go. Still 30-16. Can't believe I am going to leave here upset that we have not won the game. 11,511 crowd.
Just the, yet again, more injuries to really spoil the day.

Long drive home but hey ho. RRTR.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:54 pm

Just back to car having had a word with a couple of our youth players.
The word on Storton is bad. His knee is a real mess, as is Mulherns.
Tony Smith has already said he intends to complain to Red Hal about Flower for not 1 or 2 but 3 dangerous tackles.
Lets see where that goes.

Hey ho we drop below Salford on points against, but I really can't be upset at the way we played the game.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:54 pm

I did not want to say overmuch yesterday because I did not want to sound like it was sour grapes.
Wigan used to have a reputation for being a dirty side. I have heard a few fans from other clubs complain about them this season saying they were going back to old ways.
Flower gets a 2 match ban for a knee breaker sideways hit on Storton coming in as third man. A disgusting cowards attack that should have got more than 2 games.
Partington has been passed higher up the ladder for dangerous contact on Robbie Mulhern. Also a knee attack, but made worse as Robbie was already floored by 2 Wigan players and Partington lifted his leg and dropped on it.

Time the RFL developed some balls and started issuing bans that took the offender out for at least as long as the injured player. 1-2-3 games when we lose a player for up to 6 months !!!!!!

Ps, that goes for all clubs not just KR. There are enough dangers and accidental injuries in RL without players being reckless or ignoring their responsibilities towards their fellow players safety.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:10 pm

As mentioned by me, Ottawa to join League One next season & they replace Hemel Hempstead. Hemel Hempstead I'd imagine get very poor crowds & Ottawa I presume have the potential to draw large crowds.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/51803131

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:25 pm

Looks like New York will be joining in 2021 if this article is to be believed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/51819706

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:15 am

I see that Catalan's home game against Leeds will be played behind closed doors. I do feel for all the Leeds fans who will have paid for transport & accommodation down in Perpignan. It will probably be to Leeds advantage as Catalan could have expected a large crowd, that would have lifted them.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:39 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:25 pm
Looks like New York will be joining in 2021 if this article is to be believed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/51819706
RL news reported the other day that they had delayed NY by a year because they do not think it is reasonable to expect part timers to go over the Atlantic twice in 1 season.
Basically saying that Ottawa will be promoted after 1 season.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:46 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:15 am
I see that Catalan's home game against Leeds will be played behind closed doors. I do feel for all the Leeds fans who will have paid for transport & accommodation down in Perpignan. It will probably be to Leeds advantage as Catalan could have expected a large crowd, that would have lifted them.
As an aside to this I see that Eufa are considering moving this seasons summer bash back a year.
If they do that then it would be logical to suspend the season everywhere and resume when the virus in under control. Just think how many new members Sky and BT will get if they play the prem behind closed doors.

On topic, obvious you ain't been to the Stade Gilbert Pete. Yes they get decent crowds, but even Salford outsing them !!!!!! As I always drive down on my own rather than do the weeks holiday at Loret or somewhere as most do I always get to the ground far earlier than most of our fans, who's coaches normally arrive with about 20 mins to kick off max. Until that happens it is like being in a library.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:23 pm

Pete, I noted that you quietly ignored my saying that Wigan were dirty.

Partington received 4 match ban..

Do you really think it is correct that a side should lose 4 players in 1 match, 1 for 2 weeks hopefully, 2 for 2 months, and 1 for at least 6 months and all the players responsible get is a total of 6 games ban? That with no benefit to KR as they will have finished the bans before we play them again.

Surely you must agree it is time to change the punishment to fit the crime? We lose a player for 6 months and the player responsible has obviously been adjudged to have done it deliberately. Do you not think he should sit out the same period as the player he injured?
Would be interested in Robs thoughts on this as well.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:05 pm

Of course I condemn the actions of Partington & Flower, they should & have been punished, unfortunately the referee did not take more immediate action & if he had then the result against Hull KR may have been different. Fortunately for Wigan we have cover for these players & I realise that Hull KR don't have the same pool of players that Wigan do.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:39 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:05 pm
Of course I condemn the actions of Partington & Flower, they should & have been punished, unfortunately the referee did not take more immediate action & if he had then the result against Hull KR may have been different. Fortunately for Wigan we have cover for these players & I realise that Hull KR don't have the same pool of players that Wigan do.
[/q

What makes the whole thing stink more in our eyes is that the lino's were Hicks and Child, apparently, since Thaler was dropped, our best 2 ref's.
If you have seen the replays it is impossible that all 3 missed these assaults, and yes I mean assaults because Wigan were making cannonball tackles all match. Worse still was Lam coming out and saying it is not something they do. That is an outright lie if you ask fans from any other club, and of course, Wigan play Salford next who are level with us in the table so they benefit from Wigan having 2 first choice missing in much the same way as Saints twice last season sent a reserve side to play London.

Not having a go simply because you are a Wigan fan Pete, following KR over the last few seasons apart from 17 and the odd game such as our 56 pointer at Cas in 16 life has not been easy. When we have things like this and people trying to just wipe it under the carpet (Ala Lam).
We have had such as John Boudebza got an 8 game ban for exactly what Partington did, and a 1 off offence when he had not been banned before. It just makes me wonder why I bother driving the hundreds of miles I do every week when the playing field is not level

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:32 pm

Not a big surprise to see Lee Radford gets sacked after they get thumped at home by Warrington.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/51817083

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:23 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:32 pm
Not a big surprise to see Lee Radford gets sacked after they get thumped at home by Warrington.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/51817083
Haha, yep, the "Radders out" banners will be flying over the bridge again today. (This time flown by KR fans as a wind up).

Think we can count Dull our of title contention after that.

Can't say I am upset to see them in free fall. Going to enjoy pm'ing my family and friends back home this morning.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:51 am

I see Leeds have pulled out of their game at Catalan this weekend after a player of there's shows symptoms of coronavirus. A sign of things to come me thinks. :thumbdown:

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:45 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:51 am
I see Leeds have pulled out of their game at Catalan this weekend after a player of there's shows symptoms of coronavirus. A sign of things to come me thinks. :thumbdown:
The bad thing about this is that Leeds could now face sanctions for failing to fulfill a fixture as they pulled out without RFL permission saying they would accept any sanctions.
The RFL really should be calling a halt.

We play in the cup on Sunday and no way am I traveling. With my health issues I would be stupid to take the risk. I know quite a few people that sit near me that I hope take the same decision.
Decision made easier because the North stand is closed so I would have to fight for a seat in the West with all the problems of accessing that section of seats.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:20 pm

Good to see that Wigan's game at Salford goes ahead, winning 2-8 Hastings scores against his old side.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:31 pm

Fair play to Salford on engineering a fantastic second half fight back.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:35 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:31 pm
Fair play to Salford on engineering a fantastic second half fight back.
Yep, as expected, yet again, a side we are up against to stay in the league gets a boost and gains by suspensions to players for causing deliberate injuries while all we get is a longer injury list.
Those running the game at Red Hall are simply not fit to do so

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:58 am

Today we see just how much contempt Sky have for rugby league, and,(sadly), how the game will jump through hoops for the almighty £.
No football so let's see what we can find.

Ah yes, Cas v Saints That'll do nicely.

Lets forget about the agreement that we don't show RL on Sunday afternoon to avoid a clash with lower leagues who all play Sunday afternoon, which was a condition to us being able to show Thursday and Friday night rugby.
Forget about the fact there are cup matches being played today, and lets just forget that all these matches were expecting lower attendances anyway because of the virus.

How the hell do we expect long standing, but struggling clubs like Sheffield, and Widnes to get their finances in order when we shoot them in the foot like this?

Me? Would not watch it if you paid me a lot of money. Of to Kingston park for Thunder v Dewsbury.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:01 pm

Good win for Newcastle this afternoon. 38-30 in a win that was easier than the score suggests. Extended the lead from 2 points at half time#
Not bad to beat a side from the league above.

Happy to see KR beat Leigh. Close to an upset as Leigh led with 5 seconds to go. Hearing that both Danny Adey and Ryan Shaw who we let go at the end of last season were good as was another ex KR player Thornley.
It would have been a bit embarrassing to lose.
Happy to have a couple of the injured lads back. Not heard of any knocks as yet. That in itself makes a nice change.

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:29 pm

Keeping my own council on the battle between ED and DP just to say interesting reading.
I took the oppertunity to go to Cas v St Helens today, and was mightly pleased with our display, winning fairly easily, Saints poor I have to say.
I dont get to many games as normally these Thursday and Friday games I cannot get to, Sunday is a different matter 3.30 ko ideal, but unfortunately Tigers only have 2 Sunday games all season at home.
I could have stayed at home but went with 2 Tigers season ticket holders as I love live sport, £24 in and I think thats not too bad.
As I said in an earlier post I believe we are a top 3 side COYF

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:15 pm

robsraiders wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:29 pm
Keeping my own council on the battle between ED and DP just to say interesting reading.
I took the oppertunity to go to Cas v St Helens today, and was mightly pleased with our display, winning fairly easily, Saints poor I have to say.
I dont get to many games as normally these Thursday and Friday games I cannot get to, Sunday is a different matter 3.30 ko ideal, but unfortunately Tigers only have 2 Sunday games all season at home.
I could have stayed at home but went with 2 Tigers season ticket holders as I love live sport, £24 in and I think thats not too bad.
As I said in an earlier post I believe we are a top 3 side COYF
Sunday is also KR's chosen match-day and for the second season running we also only have 2 Sunday games. It does cost people through the door.
I don't really have any argument with Pete. Simply very annoyed at what happened at Wigan last week. I would have said the same thing had it been KR players doing the cannonball tackles. No place for it in the game.

Glad you got to a game, and that Cas won. Had a couple of sarky messages from my Cas friends who were also there.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:34 pm

Well the Superleague season is over for now. I presume as Wigan are top of the table we will win the league leaders shield, haha?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:54 pm

I see the next round of the Challenge Cup. Good to see that Newcastle have been drawn at home to Toronto. Tough game for Hull KR at Leeds. But will these games ever be played, that's the big question.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:41 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:54 pm
I see the next round of the Challenge Cup. Good to see that Newcastle have been drawn at home to Toronto. Tough game for Hull KR at Leeds. But will these games ever be played, that's the big question.
Just my view, I love the cup and my best day ever was the 1980 final. I go to the final every year, and my ticket for this season is already booked while not paid for.

To give the best chance of a conclusion to the season we should set the cup aside for this season.

Cup weeks we set the league aside and half the teams wind up not playing having been dispatched previously. These weekends would go a long way to easing the completion of the league.

All that becomes nonsensical of course if we do not get going again inside a few weeks.

Watched the Debate on Sky tonight. 1 of the topics brought up was contracts !!!!!

RL contracts run to the 31st October so very little wiggle room at the end of the season to fit them in, but no matter what, the leagues MUST be completed as they are our bread and butter. Promotion/relegation issues MUST be settled on the grass not the court rooms. Hearts are already threatening the SFA with court if they are relegated without all games being played.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:00 am

Surely they can bring in a mechanism to extend contracts by a month, but that could be academic if the season doesn't start within 4 to 6 weeks, which seems unlikely at the moment.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:00 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:00 am
Surely they can bring in a mechanism to extend contracts by a month, but that could be academic if the season doesn't start within 4 to 6 weeks, which seems unlikely at the moment.
Problem there Pete is exactly the same as football face. Players are already signing contracts at other clubs for next year, just as Hastings did last year to move from Salford to Wigan. We already know of a few who have signed for Aussie/New Zealand sides.

My biggest worry, both games, is advertising. People have paid a lot of money to sponsor shirts etc. I see many clubs in both games having massive financial problems if sponsors say I want my money back.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:26 pm

Not really fair on players, expecting them to lose or defer their wages to help clubs out. Especially when it won't guarantee that their club will survive this crisis.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/51943520

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:53 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:26 pm
Not really fair on players, expecting them to lose or defer their wages to help clubs out. Especially when it won't guarantee that their club will survive this crisis.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/51943520
Totally agree, at least, at this point in time, no rugby club have given non players notice.
It is a difficult line to travel, as pointed out, a large slice of our income comes from concerts. Apart from Little mix and Westlife we have Tom Jones booked in July.
Then mention of the 150,000 lose on the derby.

I do not know about other clubs but Neil is on his own picking up the bills since Rob Crossland left due to family issues. Not an easy task for 1 man to cover so much money, even if he does run 1 of the most successful solicitors companies in the country along with other businesses. That said, along with Hulls chairman, Pearson, Neil runs 1 of the biggest club/pubs in Yorkshire so another loss in income, and I believe he also has a string of pubs he is sole owner to. !!!!!! All outgoing and not a lot coming in.