Darlington V Farsley

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Farsley

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:17 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:For god's sake get rid of this keeper as quickly as possible.Utter rubbish Elliott.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
He’s better than Connell you know Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He is a better keeper than Connell. One bad game doesn’t change that.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:25 pm

I'm hearing people are calling for AA to go..All I say to them is Fook off and go and support Spendmore , what a thing to come out with the bloke has done well bringing in some decent players like Will and Jaz and Cams FFS get a grip we are not ready to go up this season most of us know this.. Yes today was disappointing but god he has done miles better than the shite last season

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:45 pm

You must have based that claim on one or two idiots because it certainly is not a sentiment shared by the overwhelming majority of darlo fans who can see the progress the club has made.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:53 pm

Vokuhila wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:09 pm
What a surreal afternoon.

The final whistle blew and I was struggling to get my head around how we didn't win that game, let alone somehow managed to concede four and lose.

Let's be honest though, it probably wouldn't have mattered much either way, and I think the fact that our keeper happened to let in a couple of howlers in what could well turn out to have effectively been a dead rubber will be put into stark perspective by what's to come in the weeks and months ahead.
I’ve been reading stuff which basically states that when the time is right, finishing this season will be the priority - ie if football kicks off again in mid July, all final games in all leagues will take place and if the following season has to be shortened or delayed then so be it.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:42 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:53 pm

I’ve been reading stuff which basically states that when the time is right, finishing this season will be the priority - ie if football kicks off again in mid July, all final games in all leagues will take place and if the following season has to be shortened or delayed then so be it.
It's more likely that the season will be scrapped, to shorten an entire season to accommodate the small remainder of the previous makes little sense particularly in the higher leagues with Euro 2020 coming up (should it go ahead).

And as has been stated elsewhere this could go on for months and may even affect the start of next season hopefully it won't come to that and this season will be completed even if it is a little later than scheduled.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:45 am

If you do that without a break in between seasons I.e next season kicks off in October a week after this season has concluded in September having had a break from now until then it'll be impossible. Player recruitment, contracts, budgets for teams playing in different leagues etc. are all to be overcome.

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:55 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:45 am
If you do that without a break in between seasons I.e next season kicks off in October a week after this season has concluded in September having had a break from now until then it'll be impossible. Player recruitment, contracts, budgets for teams playing in different leagues etc. are all to be overcome.
i said to somebody at the game yesterday, other things to factor in are referees contracts (they maybe only contracted until May and could have booked holidays), players insurance policies and other factors that may be a problem for extending the season.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:04 am

quaker4life wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:42 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:53 pm

It's more likely that the season will be scrapped, to shorten an entire season to accommodate the small remainder of the previous makes little sense particularly in the higher leagues with Euro 2020 coming up (should it go ahead).

And as has been stated elsewhere this could go on for months and may even affect the start of next season hopefully it won't come to that and this season will be completed even if it is a little later than scheduled.
Nobody knows. I don’t know. It’s just what I’ve read, I think on the BBC webpage. All the leagues connect, there needs to be a resolution.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:10 am

If as seems likely the season is now over, the big rows will be around what happens to this seasons results & tables. Luckily I don't need to make that decision. But whatever decision is made, your going to get some very unhappy fans & almost certainly this will end up with litigation.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:18 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:10 am
If as seems likely the season is now over, the big rows will be around what happens to this seasons results & tables. Luckily I don't need to make that decision. But whatever decision is made, your going to get some very unhappy fans & almost certainly this will end up with litigation.
I dunno. The way the league's are set up they are effectively members and pretty much the way they will resolve the season will be a vote of members.

That will be the fallback fundamentally the clubs themselves will vote / decide upon the outcome and it will be done within the membership / rules of the competition.

The options will be laid out and it will be voted on - who do you litigate against of the season simply doesn't end because of government advice?

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:48 am

I think it is an overwhelming likelihood that competitions will be declared void personally.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:24 am

Darlogramps wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:For god's sake get rid of this keeper as quickly as possible.Utter rubbish Elliott.

Stop kneejerking and place things in perspective.

One bad performance changes very little. Elliott has stepped up in recent weeks so hopefully this is just a blip. Not excusing his mistakes today, but let’s not go overboard.

And overreactions like yours aren’t likely to improve his confidence now, are they?
Point taken Gramps, just got annoyed listening to DFR and literally throwing 3 points away so need to calm down.Lets say this position has room for improvement so will leave it at that.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:46 am

Given the strength of this virus, it will be at least 12 weeks before anything can be clearly seen as to how our daily lifes will turnout,
I believe that the only option is to nullify this season completely, expunge this season .if the all clear is given ok to start next season then go ahead, can't see any other way.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:16 am

I honestly don't see why people are giving up on this season just yet. The information is changing by the minute never mind the hour or day.
We know the higher leagues have 3 weeks off, ok, give them a 10 day break, (sorry no Dubai), then back into training for a week before the next update. Repeat if needed with the players given a home training program.
Only if we get to the end of April with no idea how long it is going on for do we need look at throwing this season in the bin. If we are close then the summers EURO's are, as has been suggested, put back to the winter.
IF, (big if I know at the moment), but IF we can restart by the end of April then set next season back a month and play midweek each week while the weather permits.
I am sure some maths wizard can come up with some coefficient to deal with the fact Vanilla have played a game less etc.

The biggest losers are sponsors and fans. That could get tricky.

It is actually harder lower down at our level because most of the players are on shorter contracts that end in May. That would have to be discussed between the players and clubs. The answer?

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:20 am

It was a strange game yesterday. Thought we played some fantastic football, and could have been in double figures if we could take our chances. Bit like Bradford PA game.

Elliot had a bad game but it does not make him a bad keeper, although this will have knocked his confidence . The defence did not help him and need to carry as much of the blame. Overall I enjoyed the game for the football we played but obviously really disappointed with the result.

If anything comes out of this AA will at least be given more ammunition in deciding who needs to be kept for next season, and what we need in.

Just one note of interest on the way out Galbraith was smiling and laughing with a fan, (may have been embarrassed laugh?) And Donawa looked a bit dejected. Hope the team can pull themselves back up after that disappointment.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:50 am

50 years wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:20 am
Just one note of interest on the way out Galbraith was smiling and laughing with a fan, (may have been embarrassed laugh?) And Donawa looked a bit dejected. Hope the team can pull themselves back up after that disappointment.
Or just a laugh - it is only football after all.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:30 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:50 am
50 years wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:20 am
Or just a laugh - it is only football after all.
That is true indeed.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:18 pm

If the league decide to declare this season null and void I wonder where that will leave thommo standing with his club record goal scoring exploits - will they be expunged too? Perish the thought.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:03 pm

What a strange game. Honestly thought that was as good as I’ve seen us play for a long long time and some of the football would have graced a higher level and a joy to watch........but we lost!! Ultimately that’s what matters.
Think our midfield, wide men and full backs ( if Trotman comes back) are as good as any team in this division and that’s with Atkinson and Holmes to come back. For me we need the same type of player but in 3 different positions. A big strong more physical player who is experienced and a talker in Goal, centre half and striker.
Easy to say and difficult to find I know, but we did find the likes of White, Brown , Armstrong etc so who knows.
Still an enjoyable season overall even if it has Ended!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:28 pm

Mister e wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:18 pm
If the league decide to declare this season null and void I wonder where that will leave thommo standing with his club record goal scoring exploits - will they be expunged too? Perish the thought.
I just can’t see this happening. You can’t take away goals and results. You can’t erase history in this way.

I still believe the season will finish at some time, even if it means adjusting the following season in some way, but if the season becomes meaningless in the terms of promotion and relegation, results and goals will still stand.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:52 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mister e wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:18 pm
I just can’t see this happening. You can’t take away goals and results. You can’t erase history in this way.

I still believe the season will finish at some time, even if it means adjusting the following season in some way, but if the season becomes meaningless in the terms of promotion and relegation, results and goals will still stand.
Why not? It’s happened in other sports. Test cricket for example.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:46 am

I don't think that voiding the whole contest is in anyway the plan. I think they are just trying to work out how to bring the campaign to a close with no further fixtures played - ultimately peak in 3 months still seems to be the projected timescale - it seems illogical that you can relax measures until the peak comes (thus the reality that if isolation kicks in for the vulnerable that is going to be a four month stint).

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:11 am

lo36789 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:46 am
I don't think that voiding the whole contest is in anyway the plan. I think they are just trying to work out how to bring the campaign to a close with no further fixtures played
I'm not sure how this possible. The only way (to me) it's possible is to make sure that nothing is riding on the league tables, as in no promotion or relegation. But to some teams who are set for promotion then this is unthinkable, and for obvious reasons you can't finish the league off with some kind of mathematical formula as I've seen suggested on here.

Next season is next season - this season is the problem here and when it restarts they will need to finish it.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:09 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:11 am
lo36789 wrote:
I don't think that voiding the whole contest is in anyway the plan. I think they are just trying to work out how to bring the campaign to a close with no further fixtures played
I'm not sure how this possible. The only way (to me) it's possible is to make sure that nothing is riding on the league tables, as in no promotion or relegation. But to some teams who are set for promotion then this is unthinkable, and for obvious reasons you can't finish the league off with some kind of mathematical formula as I've seen suggested on here.

Next season is next season - this season is the problem here and when it restarts they will need to finish it.
The favoured solution by the sounds of it is take the tables as they are - effectively put teams in position based on PPG and then promote those currently in automatic promotion spots.

Otherwise we could realistically be restarting in July / August time the way things are projected to continue.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:20 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:03 pm
What a strange game. Honestly thought that was as good as I’ve seen us play for a long long time and some of the football would have graced a higher level and a joy to watch........but we lost!! Ultimately that’s what matters.
Think our midfield, wide men and full backs ( if Trotman comes back) are as good as any team in this division and that’s with Atkinson and Holmes to come back. For me we need the same type of player but in 3 different positions. A big strong more physical player who is experienced and a talker in Goal, centre half and striker.
Easy to say and difficult to find I know, but we did find the likes of White, Brown , Armstrong etc so who knows.
Still an enjoyable season overall even if it has Ended!
Totally agree a guy to cause havoc yp front, definitely a CB, Laing can ping the ball but never puts a 50/50 tackle, hence never booked and loves to blame everyone else. Elliot had a nightmare but even in other games he is very indecisive, so often he comes out then goes back and defenders are not sure what he is doing, plus very quiet along with defence. Martin, Reid, thommo , Watson , Atkinson moved on free up money to recruit next season

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:49 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:09 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:11 am
lo36789 wrote:

The favoured solution by the sounds of it is take the tables as they are - effectively put teams in position based on PPG and then promote those currently in automatic promotion spots.

Otherwise we could realistically be restarting in July / August time the way things are projected to continue.
lo, I'm not picking a fight here, I must be getting different info to you. To me you simply can not do a points per game ratio. Look at our league, how the teams like Kings Lynn have recently slumped and conversely how Bradford's form has picked up. You can't relegate and promote on guesswork - however you can kick off a new season late.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:02 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:49 pm

lo, I'm not picking a fight here, I must be getting different info to you. To me you simply can not do a points per game ratio. Look at our league, how the teams like Kings Lynn have recently slumped and conversely how Bradford's form has picked up. You can't relegate and promote on guesswork - however you can kick off a new season late.
Play offs cant be decided by points per game either.
As you say the only way is to start next season late, even if its october or november. Then the following season starts in either late september or october. It would take around 3 seasons to get back to the august start date but its the only reasonable way to sort this situation out.
With regard to players contracts, these are put on a temporary hold so no players can swap clubs until the season ends.
The PFA would have to bail out players at clubs whose football income is their only income and clubs cant pay them.

Interesting to hear the Rochdale chairman say his clubs insurance policy covers everything bar coronavirus and that a lot of clubs will be in a similar predicament.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:03 pm

loan_star wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:02 pm
With regard to players contracts, these are put on a temporary hold so no players can swap clubs until the season ends
This would need more than football authority involvement though a contract is well what it is - the FA / league can't enforce anything with players contracts.

The only thing they could do is change the timing of when new registrations are allowed I guess - which would make it illogical to sign a contract elsewhere but a players contract is independent of their registration to play.

Oh so I'm going simply by rumour and murmourings from local FA over what the PL and EFL clubs are putting forward.

The thing is it needs to be joined up as well and nobody actually has that responsibility the PL, EFL, NL and all leagues beneath that can basically do whatever their members decide.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:30 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:03 pm
loan_star wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:02 pm
With regard to players contracts, these are put on a temporary hold so no players can swap clubs until the season ends
This would need more than football authority involvement though a contract is well what it is - the FA / league can't enforce anything with players contracts.

The only thing they could do is change the timing of when new registrations are allowed I guess - which would make it illogical to sign a contract elsewhere but a players contract is independent of their registration to play.

Oh so I'm going simply by rumour and murmourings from local FA over what the PL and EFL clubs are putting forward.

The thing is it needs to be joined up as well and nobody actually has that responsibility the PL, EFL, NL and all leagues beneath that can basically do whatever their members decide.
So if I'm reading this right, all UEFA can do (perhaps in conjunction with FIFA) is to postpone the Euros until 2021. Then all the English/Welsh/Scottish FAs can do is extend their respective current domestic seasons. It would then be up to the member clubs of the individual leagues to agree whether to try to complete their league programmes by utilising the extended domestic season or whether to conclude their respective programme by whatever means is deemed acceptable to the member clubs. Some feisty meetings in store!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:57 pm

And even that doesn't deal with the player situation. Player X has a contract to play for a club until 30th June 2020. On the 1st July that player has no contract anymore.

You tend to register for a playing season, so player registrations to participate in the competition will still be eligible whenever things restart so effectively Player X is still registered to the club but that club is under no obligation to pay him any salary - conversely the player is not obliged to play for them.

Usually clubs can register new players from July until August. The league could change that in theory and say no new registrations until the playing season is finished and then open the window up - the issue would be if a club wants a player off their wage bill then they don't have to pay them and equally because of that restriction a player cannot register for another club - so who is going to contract them / pay them.