The moment we've all been waiting for...

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

quaker4life
Team Supported: Darlington

The moment we've all been waiting for...

Post by quaker4life » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:58 pm

love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Old Git

Re: The moment we've all been waiting for...

Post by Old Git » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:00 pm

Inevitable unfortunately

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:27 pm

Should have made decision on Friday tbh

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:31 pm

Sensible decision, we need to put the health of fans over everything else. I'm certain though that there will be a good few clubs going to the wall & the league structure, may look very different after the Coronavirus has ended, whenever that might be.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:51 pm

The 500 club renewals by the end of this month would be a massive boost for the club, really hope the majority of ST holders take up the option and let DJ know we are firmly behind him.A decent BTB would do no harm as well.
Up the Quakers

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:09 pm

Here's an interesting idea - to give any club a points deduction over this crisis would be wrong. COPIED BBC WEBPAGE

"Tranmere Rovers owner Mark Palios has said the Premier League and government should offer support to EFL clubs who face hardship because of coronavirus.

He also believes the EFL could support a process where clubs could go into administration to help their finances but not suffer points penalties.

League One Bolton began the season with a 12-point deduction after going into administration, but last season Blackpool avoided a points penalty despite going into receivership.

That came after an owner dispute, and subsequent court case, rather than financial mismanagement specifically.

Palios said: "Having been an insolvency practitioner, you could use the administration process, which was brought in to help businesses survive, in a slightly different way.

"If coronavirus tips clubs over the edge, there's an argument that this isn't because of financial mismanagement, it's because of circumstances, and therefore you could go into administration to get the benefits of protection but not take the sporting sanctions. That is something I would recommend."
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

divas

Post by divas » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:12 am

Well after this evening’s news we can throw the entire 20/21 season in the bin, it isn’t happening barring a miracle.

Best get those vaccines on the go as this is our only way out of this now.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:36 am

divas wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:12 am
Well after this evening’s news we can throw the entire 20/21 season in the bin, it isn’t happening barring a miracle.

Chin up divas miracles do happen - didn't we have a fa cup run this season.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:02 am

divas wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:12 am

Have to agree Divas before a vaccine I can only see businesses going bust people going bankrupt, houses re possessed and a total meltdown of the economy. Let’s all pray for a vaccine sooner than later.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:53 am

Look no denying this is serious s***,but lets try and keep a lid on the doom and gloom. Football is a minor concern in all this and one thing that might come from all this is a complete restructuring of how the football pyramid looks post Coronavirus. Clubs may have to reform in a way similar to 1945 and start again. We are likely to be in a very different financial world and I can see vast consequences for both professional and semi professional teams in the future. Our fan ownership model could become much more widespread outside the top two divisions.
Nobody knows how life will be affected but I believe this will be a defining moment in history and we may well talk of recent years in terms of pre Coronavirus and post Coronavirus. Lets hope the latter is a period of less greed and greater co operation and even though I was an advocate of Brexit I think we may need to look again at our future relationship with the EU.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:01 am

Old Git wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:53 am
Nobody knows how life will be affected but I believe this will be a defining moment in history and we may well talk of recent years in terms of pre Coronavirus and post Coronavirus. Lets hope the latter is a period of less greed and greater co operation and even though I was an advocate of Brexit I think we may need to look again at our future relationship with the EU.
This is a very perceptive thought re the EU. Not for discussion here but for another thread a bit later.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:53 am

I think we could emerge from this Coronavirus disaster in a much stronger position than the vast majority of non-league sides & some current professional sides as well. I think the EU will be mortally damaged by current events & our country will be in a far better position to take control of our future.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:44 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:53 am
I think the EU will be mortally damaged by current events & our country will be in a far better position to take control of our future.
I think I couldnt care less about EU / institutions right now. People are suffering regardless of whether their country is a member or not and the effort to rebuild after this will require global collaboration.

If a country thinks they can do it on their own I doubt they will succeed.

en passant

Post by en passant » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:57 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
I think we could emerge from this Coronavirus disaster in a much stronger position than the vast majority of non-league sides & some current professional sides as well. I think the EU will be mortally damaged by current events & our country will be in a far better position to take control of our future.
That last sentence looks like a straight quotation from Dominic Cummings' grand plan for world domination. Sellers and Yeatman would have been proud to have had him add this as a sequel to "1066 And All That" by declaring Britain once again as Top Nation.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:10 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
I think the EU will be mortally damaged by current events
Is that you Mr President?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:37 pm

Another thought to bear in mind is that a number of clubs (at our level and above and below) may not have their benefactors any more as post Coronavirus they may not have the wealth to be able to splash willy-nilly on a club. This actually happened to us when Raj's company got into financial difficulties, although he didn't manage the outcome for our club of course. As someone said, fan-owned clubs will be a much more widespread model.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:32 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
I think the EU will be mortally damaged by current events & our country will be in a far better position to take control of our future.
Just remind me Pete, which country is leading on the development of a vaccine for COVID-19?

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:19 pm

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:32 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Just remind me Pete, which country is leading on the development of a vaccine for COVID-19?
CANADA - not bothered who claims the first effective virus but we need it asap

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:06 pm

According to 'MarketWatch, "BioNTech BNTX, a German life sciences company, plans to put its vaccine candidate, BNT162, into clinical trials in late April. This includes clinical trials in Germany and the U.S.". If successful, in my books that would kind of give a "mortally damaged" EU an advantage over the UK.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:14 pm

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:49 pm

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:30 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
I think we could emerge from this Coronavirus disaster in a much stronger position than the vast majority of non-league sides & some current professional sides as well.
How so?
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:22 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:30 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
I think we could emerge from this Coronavirus disaster in a much stronger position than the vast majority of non-league sides & some current professional sides as well.
How so?
I think a lot of clubs will be mortally damaged by these turn of events. We will survive & be in a lot better financial position than many clubs around us. Therefore our position will be strengthened.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:51 pm

Just read that Kings Lynn are facing a shortfall of around £100,000. Club chairman Stephen Cleeve has agreed to cover some of the shortfall himself but "cannot commit to being able to cover the rest at this time".

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:05 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
I think a lot of clubs will be mortally damaged by these turn of events. We will survive & be in a lot better financial position than many clubs around us. Therefore our position will be strengthened.
Again, out of interest, how so?

Given we are in the same situation as these other clubs what makes us an exceptional case?

50 years

Post by 50 years » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:13 am

I understand that one of the university colleges in London is expecting to go into human trial on a vaccine in April after "very exciting" results on mice in first trial samples. So assume there may be several country's that could be first including "ours". Not sure we are capable of manufacturing large quantities any more though.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:51 am

quaker4life wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:

Given we are in the same situation as these other clubs what makes us an exceptional case?
Yeah I was hoping for hard facts from Pete..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:28 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:51 am
quaker4life wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:

Yeah I was hoping for hard facts from Pete..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
We all want to know what your job is too Pete - with all this travelling around and that, are you a James Bond type spy?
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:01 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:31 pm

I'd say more Johnny English than James Bond...