Former players

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

swadquaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Former players

Post by swadquaker » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:00 pm

Yes Pev was special. Lost count of how many times he was powering in on goal. Yes this is it.Oh no yet again it whizzed over my head. Does anybody know if he actually scored?

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:25 pm

swadquaker wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:00 pm
Yes Pev was special. Lost count of how many times he was powering in on goal. Yes this is it.Oh no yet again it whizzed over my head. Does anybody know if he actually scored?
He went on a roll in 1965/6, scoring in a 2-0 home win against Halifax on 28th March, and again at Barrow on 7th May in a 1-1 draw.
His scoring prowess followed into the next season and in the opening game against Watford he scored the only goal before 9,564 fans.
Again on the 2nd October he scored our only goal in a 1-1 draw with Gillingham.
To round the season off, Peverell scored in the last game on 10th April in a 5-0 thrashing of Peterborough. Also that season he scored in a 4-0
trouncing of Halifax in the league cup relay on 29th August. Whenever Peverell scored we did not loose.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:07 pm

Talk about in search of lost time. Its interesting that we're going back quite a way and mention of Pev really does uncover some memories; I was at both the Watford game and the Chester one - Ken Hale's rather forgotten now but he was good and stuck around when things turned sour in the early seventies. Like Lance, George McGeachie played part-time as a classic Scottish winger/chemist at ICI and suffered a bad injury early on in the third divison campaign which, on top of Bobby Cummings leg break and some other injuries, really hampered things that season.
Another candidate for todays defence would be Clive Nattrass or his mate Neil Hauge - dubbed by manager Peter Madden 'the best defender in the fourth division' - in 1978.
I notice less interest in Dave Speedie. Is this because he's been eclipsed by Gabbiadini or would he be much more of a liability these days given the scrapes he managed to get out of thirty years ago.
Finally, a tattered old copy of the Echo from 1927 praises Mark Hooper, who sounds like a jazz age Thommo, as he 'jumps like a comet (and) fizzes like a rocket wherever he goes'. When Hooper was let loose 'the town would surely prevail.'

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:32 pm

Sorry Clive Natrrass or Neil Hague would definitely not be anywhere near my best eleven.
A really classy defender I remember from the 1970s is John Stone who came from York City. Also must mention Barry Lyons who was an excellent midfielder in the 1970s and also came from York.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:50 pm

:thumbup: Yes John Stone definitely. A class act just winding down his career. Lyons too - the York connection sent us a few in the mid-seventies. Dennis Wann, Jimmy Seal ?

polam

Post by polam » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:04 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:32 pm
Sorry Clive Natrrass or Neil Hague would definitely not be anywhere near my best eleven.
A really classy defender I remember from the 1970s is John Stone who came from York City. Also must mention Barry Lyons who was an excellent midfielder in the 1970s and also came from York.
My memory of Clive Nattress was as a cult figure who made the most of his limited ability, a bit like Steve Tupling ten years later. And several years after finishing at Darlo (and apparently not playing elsewhere) Clive came out of retirement to play one match for DFC under Cyril Knowles in a league game at Doncaster.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:50 am

polam wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:04 pm
Old Git wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:32 pm
My memory of Clive Nattress was as a cult figure who made the most of his limited ability, a bit like Steve Tupling ten years later. And several years after finishing at Darlo (and apparently not playing elsewhere) Clive came out of retirement to play one match for DFC under Cyril Knowles in a league game at Doncaster.
I think that to this day Clive would be the only player to pull on every numbered shirt for Darlo at some point.

Feethams 1965

Post by Feethams 1965 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:28 am

banktopp wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:25 pm
swadquaker wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:00 pm
He went on a roll in 1965/6, scoring in a 2-0 home win against Halifax on 28th March, and again at Barrow on 7th May in a 1-1 draw.

It's strange how some games can stick in your memory for a lifetime; I remember this one. It was a hard fought game, Halifax playing in their blue and white, and the two points for a win (that's how it was then) were vital for our promotion push. Pev's goal was special because he didn't get many. I think Halifax had Dennis Fidler in their side and my memory might be playing tricks but I think he subsequently signed for us.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:43 am

An interesting game is to try to pick your all time Darlington team.

Not an X!, but a team. Need to think how players could complement each other or not as the case maybe.

It makes you realise how many good players have played for the club over the years

Starting with goal keepers alone, there are lots of names that people would choose from

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:14 am

spen666 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:43 am
An interesting game is to try to pick your all time Darlington team.

Not an X!, but a team. Need to think how players could complement each other or not as the case maybe.

It makes you realise how many good players have played for the club over the years

Starting with goal keepers alone, there are lots of names that people would choose from
Problem with that being do we assess them as "the best" during the period they played for us or their total career? Players we actually watched or just that we know of?
As to goalkeepers Tony Moor was my favourite of those I saw, but Jeff Wealands was probably a better keeper. Sadly Ray Wood came and went just before my time, but I don't see how anyone can argue against him being the best simply for what he achieved in his time in the game, particularly with Manure.

Feethams 1965

Post by Feethams 1965 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:11 pm

It all depends on your age. Tony Moor for me, always.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:58 pm

Feethams 1965 wrote:It all depends on your age. Tony Moor for me, always.
York City must have had some keeper to release him to us on a free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:36 am

Ron Greener & Pev have found immortality by having streets named after them on the old Feethams ground. Not sure how happy they would be about that.....