Boost the budget

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Boost the budget

Post by divas » Fri May 01, 2020 3:10 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:47 am
Awesome start as to be expected.

I will be increasing my pledge slightly because I believe that Alun will spend wisely on good players, as shown last season.

One slight misgiving is no target has been set, why? Darlo fans love a target.

Another slight concern is it comes across a bit defeatist when it mentions that maybe some fans won't be able to pledge because of the current circumstances, which although true, is it something that needed to be said?
Target is £100K - it’s on the totaliser and in the web article but look like it’s been missed in the narrative on the platform - I’ll fix that

I don’t think it’s being defeatist to be considerate that some of us are in a much better position than others. Defeatist would have been to reduce the target which has been upped £20K from last year.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Fri May 01, 2020 3:18 pm

Hope something has been planned for those that don’t have the internet or prefer to pop into QR. Do we have contact details so we could write to them or even telephone them?

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri May 01, 2020 5:08 pm

6pm on day 1 and £30,000 is up.

Unbelievable.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri May 01, 2020 5:15 pm

What was the total raised last year by BTB, was it around £110k?

divas

Post by divas » Fri May 01, 2020 5:21 pm

£103K-ish was pledged

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri May 01, 2020 5:32 pm

This incredible total has got to be a first-day record for BTB and it is all the more astonishing given the dark clouds hanging over everything at present. It may be "only football" but the club clearly plays an important part in people's lives.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Fri May 01, 2020 5:53 pm

Bit of a while since I last posted and I hope all are well and staying safe wherever you are in the world. :)

In my opinion BtB gives the club some sort of indication of support and funds, especially needed at this unpredictable moment in time. It will give us a much better foundation for when some sort of 'normality' resumes and football can begin to come out of hibernation, as it has been a tried and tested route the club has taken in recent years. I fear most for clubs that have an over-reliance on one benefactor or other business sources as funding because it is uncertain how their cash flows recover from this situation.

I must admit when I have commented about the football bubble being burst i didn't think it could potentially be a pandemic that could cause it, and not to sound disrespectful or underplay the seriousness of the current situation, but we may stand in a much better position than most when season 20/21 begins.... whenever that is fingers crossed! :thumbup:

All the best and stay safe.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri May 01, 2020 6:00 pm

LoidLucan wrote:This incredible total has got to be a first-day record for BTB and it is all the more astonishing given the dark clouds hanging over everything at present. It may be "only football" but the club clearly plays an important part in people's lives.
Totally agree Lucan, I cannot imagine many non league clubs coming anywhere near this given similar circumstances.Wonder what AA and DJ are thinking when they realise what has been pledged but goes to show the current feel good factor within the club.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri May 01, 2020 6:15 pm

1/3 of the target hit within 10 hours of it being released :clap:

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri May 01, 2020 6:16 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:00 pm
LoidLucan wrote:This incredible total has got to be a first-day record for BTB and it is all the more astonishing given the dark clouds hanging over everything at present. It may be "only football" but the club clearly plays an important part in people's lives.
Totally agree Lucan, I cannot imagine many non league clubs coming anywhere near this given similar circumstances.Wonder what AA and DJ are thinking when they realise what has been pledged but goes to show the current feel good factor within the club.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
Proud and humbled I think is how they will be feeling.
At least I hope so because it reflects how much faith and respect the fans have for them.
Contrast to Hartlepool who seem likely to implode soon.

divas

Post by divas » Fri May 01, 2020 6:26 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 5:32 pm
This incredible total has got to be a first-day record for BTB and it is all the more astonishing given the dark clouds hanging over everything at present. It may be "only football" but the club clearly plays an important part in people's lives.
Yes it is. To put it in context we’ve beaten the total at the end of day two last year too. A record year. People obviously believe in what Alun is doing.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri May 01, 2020 7:19 pm

Maybe an element of it having been pay day yesterday/recently for most and a lot of people sat around at home less busy than usual so they've just got on with it.

I'm on furlough atm, saw the email and did it straight away - I think I was the 4th one to pledge. Normally I'd get on it once home from work or put it off to the weekend.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Fri May 01, 2020 8:24 pm

Spyman wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:19 pm
Maybe an element of it having been pay day yesterday/recently for most and a lot of people sat around at home less busy than usual so they've just got on with it.

I'm on furlough atm, saw the email and did it straight away - I think I was the 4th one to pledge. Normally I'd get on it once home from work or put it off to the weekend.

from what ive heard and seen a lot of people have been using lockdown to have a declutter and shove stuff on ebay to raise extra funds so this may have helped.

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Fri May 01, 2020 9:27 pm

Superb going yet again. Or as the Echo put it ‘Club appeals for donations’ https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/ ... donations/

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Boost the budget

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Fri May 01, 2020 9:28 pm

Just been on, £36298 total......If like me you are lucky enough to be in work then you are not spending on much else so I think people will put in more.

Also, AA is doing a great job and Darlo fans clearly have faith in him.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri May 01, 2020 9:58 pm

JasonDeVos wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:27 pm
Superb going yet again. Or as the Echo put it ‘Club appeals for donations’ https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/ ... donations/
Absolutely ridiculous headline.

What a load of s*** that paper has become recently.

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Fri May 01, 2020 10:02 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:58 pm
JasonDeVos wrote:
Absolutely ridiculous headline.

What a load of s*** that paper has become recently.
References to Mr Armstrong throughout......

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri May 01, 2020 10:03 pm

JasonDeVos wrote:
Written by Georgia Meadows trainee journalist. Where is Craig Stoddart when you need him?
Hope he is ok.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri May 01, 2020 10:10 pm

Annoying if the local rag does not understand what we are doing there is no hope.
This could be portrayed as a good news story. Fans rally round their club.
Very disappointing the Echo can’t grasp what is going on under their own noses. Lazy reporting by an ill informed junior reporter.

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Fri May 01, 2020 10:18 pm

Old Git wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:10 pm
Annoying if the local rag does not understand what we are doing there is no hope.
Very disappointing the Echo can’t grasp what is going on under their own noses. Lazy reporting by an ill informed junior reporter.
Typical of the current day echo. No mention in it of Singh’s comments recently.

Darlogramps

Boost the budget

Post by Darlogramps » Fri May 01, 2020 11:04 pm

Old Git wrote:
JasonDeVos wrote:
Written by Georgia Meadows trainee journalist. Where is Craig Stoddart when you need him?
Hope he is ok.
I think he’s been furloughed.

As a grammatical pedant, the headline on the website also has an apostrophe in the incorrect place (should be “fans’” not “fan’s”). Would be rather odd if the club were appealing for donations from one sole fan.

That’s actually really poor from a journalistic publication.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat May 02, 2020 6:34 am

This Georgia Meadows report should have been reviewed before it went to print, it contains grammatical errors as Gramps has pointed out and love the references to Mr Armstrong.Imagine the tin shed chanting “there’s only one Mr Armstrong”, does not sound quite right.The article itself comes across a bit negative in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sat May 02, 2020 6:39 am

Brilliant uptake on the first day. It will be some achievement if we can get that figure over the 50% mark today. I will be renewing today.

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Sat May 02, 2020 7:19 am

I'll be contributing tomorrow, my only day off each week nowadays, my only issue is how much to increase my direct debit by! I will also be paying my last payment of last years BTB on 28 May, as offered on the e-mail I received. I assume that this has already been 'spent' on 2019/20 season?

I think that we may get to 31st May and the club could well use the existing funds to tie down the key players Alun wants to keep/sign and decide to continue BTB for another month to have a sort of slush fund to allow Alun to tweak the team as the season progresses. This will also encompass at least two pay days. Thoughts anyone?

Exciting times ahead! UTD!
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat May 02, 2020 11:05 am

Over 42k this morning at an average of £246 per investor.Phenomenal.
You don’t have to be a millionaire to own a football club :thumbup:

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat May 02, 2020 11:39 am

MikeinBlack2 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 7:19 am
I think that we may get to 31st May and the club could well use the existing funds to tie down the key players Alun wants to keep/sign and decide to continue BTB for another month to have a sort of slush fund to allow Alun to tweak the team as the season progresses. This will also encompass at least two pay days. Thoughts anyone?
My thought is, how can players be tied down when no one knows when the season will start? If it can be done, great - but how?

Secondly -
Darlogramps wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:04 pm
As a grammatical pedant, the headline on the website also has an apostrophe in the incorrect place (should be “fans’” not “fan’s”). Would be rather odd if the club were appealing for donations from one sole fan.
It's a good spot - as the Father Ted crew said "down with this sort of thing"
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat May 02, 2020 2:10 pm

Spyman wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:19 pm

Yes it could be something like that - I guess DFCSG will be able to see how the pledges compare to last year in term of whether we are seeing increased/new pledges or if it's ealier pledges. However, regardless of any of that, to have raised knocking on £45k and rising, on top of the 10k already raised this offseason, is a staggering effort in the current climate :clap:

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Sat May 02, 2020 3:24 pm

id keep it going until end of June to get as much as possible

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun May 03, 2020 9:19 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 11:39 am
MikeinBlack2 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 7:19 am
My thought is, how can players be tied down when no one knows when the season will start? If it can be done, great - but how?

Secondly -
Darlogramps wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:04 pm
It's a good spot - as the Father Ted crew said "down with this sort of thing"
Sorry to be down on some very well intentioned grammatical corrections by Gramps, but I think he has missed the comma off the word fans. The Echo got it wrong, the comma in fan's, as he says, shows the possession of one fan to the donations, but 'fans donations' no longer shows possession. What it is saying is that several fans have been donated. To show the possession of multiple fans to the donations you have to place a comma after the s, so 'fans' donations'. Which is shorthand for fans's.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sun May 03, 2020 10:56 am

Old Git wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:10 pm
I'm sure, like me, you were once a junior in a job. Cut her some slack - I'm sure she is doing her best in what must be very difficult circumstances.