Boost the budget

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Old Git
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Boost the budget

Post by Old Git » Sun May 03, 2020 12:00 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:56 am
Old Git wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:10 pm
Annoying if the local rag does not understand what we are doing there is no hope.
This could be portrayed as a good news story. Fans rally round their club.
Very disappointing the Echo can’t grasp what is going on under their own noses. Lazy reporting by an ill informed junior reporter.
I'm sure, like me, you were once a junior in a job. Cut her some slack - I'm sure she is doing her best in what must be very difficult circumstances.
Yes of course we all were once and we learned from our experiences and those around us.
Did not mean to be offensive to this lady but just pointing out that it was poor journalism in this instance. Far too often the press in general and the Echo in particular fail in their duty to report accurately. Facts should be checked by the reporter and also read by the relevant editor. In this case the reporter may well have been let down by superiors who should have known better.
However these are tough times for everyone including newspapers so lets not make too big a deal of it.

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Sun May 03, 2020 12:37 pm

And one of the Editors has been mentioned on the Raj Singh thread.....

Darlogramps

Boost the budget

Post by Darlogramps » Sun May 03, 2020 12:57 pm

en passant wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 11:39 am
MikeinBlack2 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 7:19 am
I think that we may get to 31st May and the club could well use the existing funds to tie down the key players Alun wants to keep/sign and decide to continue BTB for another month to have a sort of slush fund to allow Alun to tweak the team as the season progresses. This will also encompass at least two pay days. Thoughts anyone?
My thought is, how can players be tied down when no one knows when the season will start? If it can be done, great - but how?

Secondly -
Darlogramps wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:04 pm
As a grammatical pedant, the headline on the website also has an apostrophe in the incorrect place (should be “fans’” not “fan’s”). Would be rather odd if the club were appealing for donations from one sole fan.
It's a good spot - as the Father Ted crew said "down with this sort of thing"
Sorry to be down on some very well intentioned grammatical corrections by Gramps, but I think he has missed the comma off the word fans. The Echo got it wrong, the comma in fan's, as he says, shows the possession of one fan to the donations, but 'fans donations' no longer shows possession. What it is saying is that several fans have been donated. To show the possession of multiple fans to the donations you have to place a comma after the s, so 'fans' donations'. Which is shorthand for fans's.
It does say that. That’s literally what I wrote.

Maybe not easy to see next to the quotation marks, but it is there. Look closer.

It’s also an apostrophe, not a comma.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sun May 03, 2020 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps

Boost the budget

Post by Darlogramps » Sun May 03, 2020 1:00 pm

Old Git wrote:
darlo2001uk wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:56 am
Old Git wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:10 pm
Annoying if the local rag does not understand what we are doing there is no hope.
This could be portrayed as a good news story. Fans rally round their club.
Very disappointing the Echo can’t grasp what is going on under their own noses. Lazy reporting by an ill informed junior reporter.
I'm sure, like me, you were once a junior in a job. Cut her some slack - I'm sure she is doing her best in what must be very difficult circumstances.
Yes of course we all were once and we learned from our experiences and those around us.
Did not mean to be offensive to this lady but just pointing out that it was poor journalism in this instance. Far too often the press in general and the Echo in particular fail in their duty to report accurately. Facts should be checked by the reporter and also read by the relevant editor. In this case the reporter may well have been let down by superiors who should have known better.
However these are tough times for everyone including newspapers so lets not make too big a deal of it.
I think you’re being very fair to be honest.

You don’t learn by getting a pat on the head and people giving excuses for you.

So long as it’s constructive, there’s nothing wrong with pointing out mistakes.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

shawry

Post by shawry » Sun May 03, 2020 1:45 pm

Over 52k already, if we dont raise another penny then its still a phenomenal amount in these unprecedented times. Proud to be a darlo fan :)

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

GrassrootsMatt

Post by GrassrootsMatt » Sun May 03, 2020 2:37 pm

Unbelievable really.

Darlo fans never cease to amaze me.
Come on Darlo!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun May 03, 2020 3:05 pm

We’ve had a surge over the last couple of hours with £57k now pledged!

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun May 03, 2020 3:10 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 12:57 pm
en passant wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 11:39 am
MikeinBlack2 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 7:19 am
I think that we may get to 31st May and the club could well use the existing funds to tie down the key players Alun wants to keep/sign and decide to continue BTB for another month to have a sort of slush fund to allow Alun to tweak the team as the season progresses. This will also encompass at least two pay days. Thoughts anyone?
My thought is, how can players be tied down when no one knows when the season will start? If it can be done, great - but how?

Secondly -
Darlogramps wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:04 pm
As a grammatical pedant, the headline on the website also has an apostrophe in the incorrect place (should be “fans’” not “fan’s”). Would be rather odd if the club were appealing for donations from one sole fan.
It's a good spot - as the Father Ted crew said "down with this sort of thing"
Sorry to be down on some very well intentioned grammatical corrections by Gramps, but I think he has missed the comma off the word fans. The Echo got it wrong, the comma in fan's, as he says, shows the possession of one fan to the donations, but 'fans donations' no longer shows possession. What it is saying is that several fans have been donated. To show the possession of multiple fans to the donations you have to place a comma after the s, so 'fans' donations'. Which is shorthand for fans's.
It does say that. That’s literally what I wrote.

Maybe not easy to see next to the quotation marks, but it is there. Look closer.

It’s also an apostrophe, not a comma.
Of course you are correct, my mistake. Why should I ever have doubted that. Sorry.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun May 03, 2020 3:19 pm

Still haven’t got round to doing mine and me Dads yet.

But 57k is absolutely superb so far guys :clap:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun May 03, 2020 3:20 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:05 pm
We’ve had a surge over the last couple of hours with £57k now pledged!
Astonishing at least 20 donations in under an hour. At this rate the club will have to set a new target. I doubt any club at our level has fans who have dug so deep as such a perilous time. :thumbup:

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun May 03, 2020 4:20 pm

Still 7 hours of today left 57k already phenomenal amount in 2 days what fantastic set of fan owners DARLINGTON FC have. In AA we trust .
Donate if you can we can get passed this target by all pulling together where we can. We are DARLINGTON FC.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun May 03, 2020 5:33 pm

In Mr Armstrong we trust.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sun May 03, 2020 5:50 pm

Confident we will pass last year's total, wouldn't surprise me if we get close to 120k. Feel good factor about the place and unity with the supporters, praying that the season is up and running before Xmas.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sun May 03, 2020 7:30 pm

60k now passed, incredible. :D :roll:

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Mon May 04, 2020 7:48 am

joejaques wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:30 pm
60k now passed, incredible. :D :roll:
If this keeps up we will be able to afford a full time squad. :roll:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon May 04, 2020 8:35 am

Aye if it keeps up for 2 years ;)

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Mon May 04, 2020 8:53 am

I had a quick Chat with AA (keeping a safe distance) whilst waking the dogs at weekend he was blown away with the amount raised so far and could not praise the fans enough and proud of everyone donating despite not knowing when we will restart. Keep going lads and help us get to 100K.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue May 05, 2020 8:24 pm

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2020050 ... 3e215b.jpg[/IMG]York are on it too

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue May 05, 2020 10:21 pm

Blimey that's a tiny target to be raised compared with ours & it goes to show what fantastic fans we have for our level of football.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 06, 2020 5:23 am

Doesn't look like it's been done by the club - suspect they are in denial over what it costs to operate a club at this level.

divas

Post by divas » Wed May 06, 2020 7:19 am

It might pay for Maguire’s right hand

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed May 06, 2020 7:30 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:21 pm
Blimey that's a tiny target to be raised compared with ours & it goes to show what fantastic fans we have for our level of football.
The difference between fan ownership and ownership by a businessman. As owners, it's our responsibility to fund the club, but in other ownership models fans are just paying customers. We (rightly) wouldn't raise anywhere near what we do if we weren't fan owned.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed May 06, 2020 9:23 am

The more time goes on the more I begin to appreciate the benefits of fan ownership. It does limit the ambition moving forward but perhaps that is a good thing for us as it keeps us focused on the hear and now.
The major benefit it does have is to bind our loyal fans to the club in a way that is much more satisfying than if some wealthy owner was simply chucking money in. We are part of the fabric of the club and essential to its future and therefore the whole experience is more intense.
Of course many casual fans will never understand that but as long as we can maintain a solid core we can continue to enjoy our football. We need people willing to step forward to give their time and expertise and should always be grateful for what they do on our behalf.
At one time I would have said returning to the EFL was our ultimate goal but for the foreseeable future perhaps simply being where we are and enjoying our football is good enough.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Wed May 06, 2020 10:42 am

If we had our own ground then a fan ownership would be even better giving the fantastic fans we have

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed May 06, 2020 11:33 am

darlo reborn wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:42 am
If we had our own ground then a fan ownership would be even better giving the fantastic fans we have
Not owning a ground we can fully monetise will always be a hindrance but the same would be true whether fan owned or not.

The current pandemic shows how vulnerable many clubs are both professional and non-league. We’re probably better placed than many other clubs in that we fund ourselves and aren’t reliant on a benefactor or sponsor that could be now in financial peril themselves.

divas

Post by divas » Wed May 06, 2020 12:09 pm

Beano wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:33 am
darlo reborn wrote:
Not owning a ground we can fully monetise will always be a hindrance but the same would be true whether fan owned or not.

The current pandemic shows how vulnerable many clubs are both professional and non-league. We’re probably better placed than many other clubs in that we fund ourselves and aren’t reliant on a benefactor or sponsor that could be now in financial peril themselves.
The thing that we crave has turned out to be our saviour. If we were generating non matchday revenue which was being used to pay for an inflated playing budget we’d have been stuffed.

We’re also very lucky that there were no fixed 2 year contracts offered last summer unlike the summer before.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed May 06, 2020 12:17 pm

Beano wrote:
darlo reborn wrote:

That's what I've been saying, that we could well come out of these troubling times in a far better position than a lot of other clubs above & at our level, thanks to our terrific fans.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed May 06, 2020 1:14 pm

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2020050 ... f91906.jpg[/IMG]
DoneImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed May 06, 2020 2:49 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Beano wrote:
darlo reborn wrote:

That's what I've been saying, that we could well come out of these troubling times in a far better position than a lot of other clubs above & at our level, thanks to our terrific fans.
Got to agree Pete.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed May 06, 2020 4:54 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 8:53 am
I had a quick Chat with AA (keeping a safe distance) whilst waking the dogs at weekend he was blown away with the amount raised so far and could not praise the fans enough and proud of everyone donating despite not knowing when we will restart. Keep going lads and help us get to 100K.

Were you walking up past The Arena perchance??
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!