Potential new signings

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Lallacab
Team Supported: Darlington

Potential new signings

Post by Lallacab » Wed May 13, 2020 1:58 pm

Seen as though I am missing my football fix and incredibly bored whilst on holiday from work, I thought I’d try to find out what positions everyone thinks we should strengthen in and which players everyone would like at the club

For me I think we need an experienced, no-nonsense centre back in the mould of a David Wheater or Andrew Davies. I think their leadership would help us no end.

I also think we might need to strengthen at right back and of course another centre forward or two

At right back I’d go for either Jordan Hunter from Sunderland (Currently on loan at South Shields) or Tony McMahon who was released from oxford (if he hasn’t already retired)

Then for the forward we obviously have Tyrone , who I’m sure would be a target if available , but my gut feeling is that he will play at a higher level

For a keeper I’d be more than happy to take a loan from one of the regions big 3

Thoughts everyone???

Old Git

Re: Potential new signings

Post by Old Git » Wed May 13, 2020 3:03 pm

I think we have the makings of a decent squad if we can hold on to most of our players
Two priorities we need are a goalie and a striker. Agree with Lallacab a decent young keeper from a pro club may be a good option. Ideally someone in the Ainsley Pears mould would be great. A striker may be more difficult but we would really benefit from a target man along the lines of Tyrone O’Neill or Mark Beck.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed May 13, 2020 3:57 pm

I don't have a lot of interest in new signings currently, once we know any timelines and what's possible I might. At the minute, we don't know our budget, we don't know when football will start, players don't know what to do.

Some players will be happy with signing a contract with us but we don't know what will happen really. We could offer so much but with a clause if we think we can't live up to the offer and they may ask for a clause to not renew on worse terms.

So in reality it's just a wait and see one. We could sign someone and then say we don't start until Jan next year and we have to offer less than we were they then walk away.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Wed May 13, 2020 5:15 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 3:57 pm
I don't have a lot of interest in new signings currently, once we know any timelines and what's possible I might. At the minute, we don't know our budget, we don't know when football will start, players don't know what to do.

Some players will be happy with signing a contract with us but we don't know what will happen really. We could offer so much but with a clause if we think we can't live up to the offer and they may ask for a clause to not renew on worse terms.

So in reality it's just a wait and see one. We could sign someone and then say we don't start until Jan next year and we have to offer less than we were they then walk away.
Have to agree there’s just to much up in the air at the moment to start suggesting signings.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed May 13, 2020 5:49 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:15 pm

Have to agree there’s just to much up in the air at the moment to start suggesting signings.
Think it is only meant to be a topic to stimulate a bit of discussion. No need to be killjoys we all know the current situation is serious but a little bit of looking forward to better times ahead does no harm surely.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed May 13, 2020 5:56 pm

I know that a couple of years ago, we had a youth keeper that made the bench a few times & was quite highly thought of. Does anybody know if the lad is still with the club & could he step up to be our regular shot stopper? Personally I'd prefer us to have a permanent keeper, rather than rely on a loan keeper.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Wed May 13, 2020 5:58 pm

Old Git wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:49 pm
quakersfan wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:15 pm

Think it is only meant to be a topic to stimulate a bit of discussion. No need to be killjoys we all know the current situation is serious but a little bit of looking forward to better times ahead does no harm surely.

Exactly this

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed May 13, 2020 7:07 pm

The bit about speculation I never quite understand is why we covet knackered ex-Boro/Newcastle/Sunderland players such as Tony McMahon.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 13, 2020 8:02 pm

Beano wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:07 pm
The bit about speculation I never quite understand is why we covet knackered ex-Boro/Newcastle/Sunderland players such as Tony McMahon.
You say knackered others might say experienced. What were Marco Gabbiadini, Gary Bennett, Curtis Fleming, Neil Heaney, Alun Armstrong, Craig Hignett and Martin Gray when we signed them?

I guess the theory is identifying someone who may have connections / family in the north east still so could be interested in a return home and at a decent price.

Feels like a bit of harmless speculation tbh over any serious identification and commitment to signing players.

I still think if we can get a GK on loan that is a win win for all, not sure I really see what is lost on having someone in permanently. I do keep wondering if Paul Woolston could be available from Manchester United - they have 4 first team goalkeepers and 6 u23s goalkeepers according to their website!

It wouldn't be a bad relationship to create if we can demonstrate to them that we can offer good first team football experience...if we could just get Hannibal Mejbri in next that would be perfect

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Wed May 13, 2020 8:38 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:02 pm
Beano wrote:
You say knackered others might say experienced. What were Marco Gabbiadini, Gary Bennett, Curtis Fleming, Neil Heaney, Alun Armstrong, Craig Hignett and Martin Gray when we signed them?

Exactly my point LO

From what I saw last season , which was not as much as I’d like as I’m an exile , it seems we lacked leaders and experience

Someone like Tony McMahon would offer both as he has captained a fair few of the teams he’s played for and must still be decent having played in league one last season

I guess it’s all about opinions of course and everyone is entitled to theirs

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed May 13, 2020 9:03 pm

Lallacab wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
Beano wrote:

Exactly my point LO

From what I saw last season , which was not as much as I’d like as I’m an exile , it seems we lacked leaders and experience

Someone like Tony McMahon would offer both as he has captained a fair few of the teams he’s played for and must still be decent having played in league one last season

I guess it’s all about opinions of course and everyone is entitled to theirs
We have been down the ex league player /higher level players before and it doesn't work, I'd rather have younger promising players who are hungry or talented players like Will Hatfield who could actually play higher NOT players dropping down just to play part time and get some beer money

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 13, 2020 9:19 pm

I think it's harsh to tarnish all with the same brush.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed May 13, 2020 9:51 pm

A goalie, a tough central defender and another goal scorer - I'm sure that's what A.A. told me he would ideally like to complete this present team.

That's what he said when he phoned me up, did I ever mention that? :)
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 13, 2020 10:15 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Beano wrote:

I guess the theory is identifying someone who may have connections / family in the north east still so could be interested in a return home and at a decent price.

Feels like a bit of harmless speculation tbh over any serious identification and commitment to signing players.

I still think if we can get a GK on loan that is a win win for all, not sure I really see what is lost on having someone in permanently. I do keep wondering if Paul Woolston could be available from Manchester United - they have 4 first team goalkeepers and 6 u23s goalkeepers according to their website!

It wouldn't be a bad relationship to create if we can demonstrate to them that we can offer good first team football experience...if we could just get Hannibal Mejbri in next that would be perfect
We should definitely avoid Davies, the club shouldn’t touch him with a barge pole after how things worked out at Hartlepool.

In terms of McMahon, he hasn’t played a competitive match in over a year.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 13, 2020 10:25 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:56 pm
I know that a couple of years ago, we had a youth keeper that made the bench a few times & was quite highly thought of. Does anybody know if the lad is still with the club & could he step up to be our regular shot stopper? Personally I'd prefer us to have a permanent keeper, rather than rely on a loan keeper.
You could argue that any one of the last 4 loan keepers we have had (Pears, Turner, Talbot, Hemming) are all better than any permanent goalkeeper we have had recently (Connell, Elliott, Maddison, Wilczynski).

We haven’t had a very good permanent goalkeeper since Adam Bartlett, and it was only because of quite fortunate circumstances we had him here.

Whenever football does resume, I’d be looking to loan one in again. That would save a wage, and we also won’t be carrying 2 keepers on the books again next season meaning that wage can be invested elsewhere too.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu May 14, 2020 7:04 am

Must be a few in the Toon squad who don't fancy the grief playing for Saudi owners who would prefer to play for a fans owned club.
Karl Darlow would be very appropriate😅
Jamaal Lascelles may park here too🤣

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu May 14, 2020 7:18 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:25 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
You could argue that any one of the last 4 loan keepers we have had (Pears, Turner, Talbot, Hemming) are all better than any permanent goalkeeper we have had recently (Connell, Elliott, Maddison, Wilczynski).

We haven’t had a very good permanent goalkeeper since Adam Bartlett, and it was only because of quite fortunate circumstances we had him here.

Whenever football does resume, I’d be looking to loan one in again. That would save a wage, and we also won’t be carrying 2 keepers on the books again next season meaning that wage can be invested elsewhere too.
That's pretty bang on with my view too re Goalkeepers at this level. Wouldn't mind seeing Hemming come back here on loan from Boro if possible. Or Jake Turner who we had on loan from Bolton but who is now with Newcastle I think.

I would like a big 6'3+ head it and kick it defender, but I dont think it makes financial sense to add a 4th CB especially when Reid can fill in in emergencies, so could see that being a one in one out situation, but then who would be let go?

Another CF is the other obvious one. Would love to see O'Neill back feels likes there is unfinished business there and you could see the relationship that was developing with Campbell, both such intelligent footballers.

Hard to pick out actual targets until the released lists in from clubs in the couple of leagues above is known as that's where we'll likely be shopping.

If most of the current squad resign (I dont think Trotman will be signing back up, there were rumours about Holness but nothing concrete yet) we currently have:

Gk: Hall
Def: Hedley, Galbraith, Storey, Laing, Liddle, Watson
Mid: Hatfield, Wheatley, Atkinson, Holness, Reid,
Wide players: Thompson, Rivers, Donawa, Holmes
Forwards: Campbell,

divas

Post by divas » Thu May 14, 2020 7:58 am

I’d expect Jack Lambert to be here next season

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu May 14, 2020 8:16 am

divas wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:58 am
Agreed look likely as it does not seem to have worked out for him at Scunthorpe and he could well be released. AA seems to like him and I believe he is an ex Boro trainee so presumably would be happy to come.
We are well stocked with midfielders so would think it probable someone may have to go to accommodate him possibly Omar.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu May 14, 2020 8:23 am

Old Git wrote:
divas wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:58 am
Agreed look likely as it does not seem to have worked out for him at Scunthorpe and he could well be released. AA seems to like him and I believe he is an ex Boro trainee so presumably would be happy to come.
We are well stocked with midfielders so would think it probable someone may have to go to accommodate him possibly Omar.
I thought someone had said on another thread Omar has gone according to his very source??🤔🤥

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu May 14, 2020 8:29 am

I think Adam Boyes is now free to end his two-year bench-warming stint at Spendy. He's got goals in him with regular football providing those betting offences are all done and dusted.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Thu May 14, 2020 8:29 am

JE93 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:18 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:25 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:

That's pretty bang on with my view too re Goalkeepers at this level. Wouldn't mind seeing Hemming come back here on loan from Boro if possible. Or Jake Turner who we had on loan from Bolton but who is now with Newcastle I think.

I would like a big 6'3+ head it and kick it defender, but I dont think it makes financial sense to add a 4th CB especially when Reid can fill in in emergencies, so could see that being a one in one out situation, but then who would be let go?

Another CF is the other obvious one. Would love to see O'Neill back feels likes there is unfinished business there and you could see the relationship that was developing with Campbell, both such intelligent footballers.

Hard to pick out actual targets until the released lists in from clubs in the couple of leagues above is known as that's where we'll likely be shopping.

If most of the current squad resign (I dont think Trotman will be signing back up, there were rumours about Holness but nothing concrete yet) we currently have:

Gk: Hall
Def: Hedley, Galbraith, Storey, Laing, Liddle, Watson
Mid: Hatfield, Wheatley, Atkinson, Holness, Reid,
Wide players: Thompson, Rivers, Donawa, Holmes
Forwards: Campbell,

Some really big decisions to be made in regards to the higher earners in the squad. I have a feeling one or two might go to give AA the chance to build the squad further

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Thu May 14, 2020 8:41 am

[/quote]

Some really big decisions to be made in regards to the higher earners in the squad. I have a feeling one or two might go to give AA the chance to build the squad further
[/quote]

And who are the higher earners? I have absolutely no idea...…..

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu May 14, 2020 8:52 am

JE93 wrote:

If most of the current squad "resign" we will have no players!! RE SIGN - the little gap makes so much difference. :)
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu May 14, 2020 9:47 am

LoidLucan wrote:I think Adam Boyes is now free to end his two-year bench-warming stint at Spendy. He's got goals in him with regular football providing those betting offences are all done and dusted.
If he will take a cut in wages, and god only knows what they are paying him, this could be a good shout Lucan.His style of play could be more suited to how we play and AA has said he does not want a big lump of a CF who is purely a target man.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu May 14, 2020 10:27 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:47 am
LoidLucan wrote:I think Adam Boyes is now free to end his two-year bench-warming stint at Spendy. He's got goals in him with regular football providing those betting offences are all done and dusted.
If he will take a cut in wages, and god only knows what they are paying him, this could be a good shout Lucan.His style of play could be more suited to how we play and AA has said he does not want a big lump of a CF who is purely a target man.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
If he is released by The Pride of Co.Durham he would be very fortunate to match his wages anywhere else. It is going to be a buyer’s market for out of contract footballers in the coming months.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu May 14, 2020 12:12 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:03 pm

We have been down the ex league player /higher level players before and it doesn't work, I'd rather have younger promising players who are hungry or talented players like Will Hatfield who could actually play higher NOT players dropping down just to play part time and get some beer money

But Will Hatfield used to play at a higher level :think:
LoidLucan wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:29 am
I think Adam Boyes is now free to end his two-year bench-warming stint at Spendy. He's got goals in him with regular football providing those betting offences are all done and dusted.
I think all FA disciplinaries are on hold for now, they havent even chased the £30 I owe them haha! This may well still come back and put an end to a few players immediate careers. Any ban will be held over till football is back so it could be a long break for him.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Fri May 15, 2020 12:47 pm

loan_star wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:12 pm
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:03 pm

But Will Hatfield used to play at a higher level :think:
LoidLucan wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:29 am
I think all FA disciplinaries are on hold for now, they havent even chased the £30 I owe them haha! This may well still come back and put an end to a few players immediate careers. Any ban will be held over till football is back so it could be a long break for him.

I’d forgotten all about that to be honest , it will be very interesting to see what , if anything , happens to those players involved

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat May 16, 2020 8:20 am

JE93 wrote:

Either Galbraith or Laing. Neither are going to get any better at this stage. Whereas Storey still has room for improvement. I see Storey + new signing as the CB pairing next season, with one of Galbraith or Laing as cover. I'd probably favour keeping Tez because he can play left back as well, plus his long history at the club.

But to say a big 6'3+ head it and kick it defender doesn't make financial sense is bizarre, it's a number one priority. Remember Farsley at home? Somehow lost 2-4 in a match we completely dominated? That's why an ugly brick s*** house is a necessity - and a keeper. We'll go nowhere leaking goals like that every week. And of course a goalscorer. How many chances did we waste not just v Farsley but throughout the season?

Before anyone mentions Campbell and his 16 goals, remember that he should have scored about 160. Score one, miss 10. I've never seen a Darlo team create so many chances yet score so few. Don't get me wrong, he's a nifty intelligent player who I'd like to see in the team next season, but we definitely need a forward alongside who can take more chances.

Imagine the Farsley match with a competent keeper, a no nonsense central defender marshalling the back line, and a goalscorer? We'd have literally won 6-0.

I STILL haven't got over that match! Never even been able to bring myself to watch the highlights yet or listen to the after match interviews.

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Sat May 16, 2020 8:52 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
JE93 wrote:

Either Galbraith or Laing. Neither are going to get any better at this stage. Whereas Storey still has room for improvement. I see Storey + new signing as the CB pairing next season, with one of Galbraith or Laing as cover. I'd probably favour keeping Tez because he can play left back as well, plus his long history at the club.

But to say a big 6'3+ head it and kick it defender doesn't make financial sense is bizarre, it's a number one priority. Remember Farsley at home? Somehow lost 2-4 in a match we completely dominated? That's why an ugly brick s*** house is a necessity - and a keeper. We'll go nowhere leaking goals like that every week. And of course a goalscorer. How many chances did we waste not just v Farsley but throughout the season?

Before anyone mentions Campbell and his 16 goals, remember that he should have scored about 160. Score one, miss 10. I've never seen a Darlo team create so many chances yet score so few. Don't get me wrong, he's a nifty intelligent player who I'd like to see in the team next season, but we definitely need a forward alongside who can take more chances.

Imagine the Farsley match with a competent keeper, a no nonsense central defender marshalling the back line, and a goalscorer? We'd have literally won 6-0.

I STILL haven't got over that match! Never even been able to bring myself to watch the highlights yet or listen to the after match interviews.
I had the ‘pleasure’ of watching from the balcony - that’s something I’ll never be able to unsee...

Worst individual goalkeeping performance I’ve ever witnessed live

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro