New deals for Donawa,Hatfield,Rivers,Holmes,Hedley,Reid,Storey,Campbell,Laing,Wheatley,Liddle,Watson,Atkinson

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

al_quaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New deal for Donawa, Hatfield, Rivers, Holmes,Hedley,Reid,Storey, Campbell, Laing

Post by al_quaker » Tue May 26, 2020 7:01 am

Wheatley has signed a new deal

Quaker85

Re: New deal for Donawa, Hatfield, Rivers, Holmes,Hedley,Reid,Storey, Campbell, Laing

Post by Quaker85 » Tue May 26, 2020 7:03 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Interesting to see that Alun isn't furloughed atm, as he is busy sorting out the squad for next season. he's probably one of the few managers at our level who isn't furloughed.
Early bird gets the worm !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue May 26, 2020 7:41 am

:thumbup: and wheats makes 10 really looking good for a push on when football gets the go ahead.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Tue May 26, 2020 7:52 am

Excellent .
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 26, 2020 7:59 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:27 pm
Interesting to see that Alun isn't furloughed atm, as he is busy sorting out the squad for next season. he's probably one of the few managers at our level who isn't furloughed.
What makes you say that? Pretty sure he is furloughed.

I'm not sure Armstrong is necessarily needed to resign players who have options on their contracts.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue May 26, 2020 8:05 am

lo36789 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:59 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Interesting to see that Alun isn't furloughed atm, as he is busy sorting out the squad for next season. he's probably one of the few managers at our level who isn't furloughed.

I'm not sure Armstrong is necessarily needed to resign players who have options on their contracts.
DJ said he had been brought off furlough to deal with contract renewals and the search for new players. Sounds like the right thing to do as this is clearly part of his normal working activities as a football manager. Could always be refurloughed for 3 or so weeks in June should we sort out the players we need etc.

don'tbuythesun

Re: New deal for Donawa, Hatfield, Rivers, Holmes,Hedley,Reid, Storey, Campbell, Laing, Wheatley

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue May 26, 2020 8:06 am

Does this mean all our players were out of contract at the end of the current season? If so this is excellent business and a fine example of how to keep a tight grip on the budget.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue May 26, 2020 8:26 am

lo36789 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:

You need to watch DJ's latest interview with Ray Simpson. Brilliant news about Wheatley, which should give a further boost to the BTB ahead of Alun's Netcaf.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue May 26, 2020 8:27 am

JE93 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:05 am
lo36789 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:

DJ said he had been brought off furlough to deal with contract renewals and the search for new players. Sounds like the right thing to do as this is clearly part of his normal working activities as a football manager. Could always be refurloughed for 3 or so weeks in June should we sort out the players we need etc.
To be honest if I was in any doubt about re-signing then I would want to chat to the manager, what's his plans for next season, does he think he has the budget to push on, what does his want from me in the team and even more so under the current circumstances.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 26, 2020 8:58 am

JE93 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:05 am
lo36789 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:

Fair enough.

Beyond the extensions not sure what else can be done at the moment mind without the capacity to trial / train with players.

Have we ever signed a player without at least seeing him play or train - given when the season ended not sure how much scouting would have been done at that point.

The lines between when a football manager is and isn't furloughed does seem quite difficult - how on earth do you attribute time working during the close season?

Darlofan97

Re: New deal for Donawa, Hatfield, Rivers, Holmes,Hedley,Reid, Storey, Campbell, Laing, Wheatley

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue May 26, 2020 9:07 am

DJ wouldn’t have brought Alun off furlough if there wasn’t items to sort. There continues to be contract extensions & Alun may well be looking to sign players as we speak (in fact I’m sure DJ said as much in his interview).

Just because we aren’t currently playing/training doesn’t mean we can’t & won’t sign anyone. By that logic no player would ever get signed over summer.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 26, 2020 9:42 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:07 am
Just because we aren’t currently playing/training doesn’t mean we can’t & won’t sign anyone. By that logic no player would ever get signed over summer.
a) didn't say we can't sign people
b) that isn't the logic

My understanding - and this may be entirely incorrect mind - is that it is in the latter stages of each season so March / April time when players are informed or inform of their intention to stay with their current clubs.

At this point managers will be looking for players who may be available and will identify their targets watching them for their existing clubs. I thought this is why the boost the budget is timed when it is to be honest so that the budget is understood at the relevant time.

Do we generally sign that many players at the very start of summer also or is it traditionally within the first 2 weeks of training restarting (which is usually 1st July onwards).

That is when full time contracts traditionally expired anyway (30th June) and players tend to sign after a trial period or at least some training - don't they have to complete medicals in order for insurance to be valid?

I figured most of May / June was spent lining players up to come training at the first of July and get a feel for their interests / intentions.

I'll be honest I assumed the extensions were done it's just they are being announced over a longer period to keep hits / interest in the social channels and hits on the website.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 26, 2020 9:59 am

My actual logic is that summer activity this year will be very different to normal;

- we lost the traditional time when scouting / identifying targets would take place at the back end of a season
- there is uncertainty over when training or the season will start anyway
- there is even more uncertainty over the finances of clubs in and around our level (who have players currently contracted / are in the market for the same players as us)
- there isn't any certainty over when we can conduct the usual due diligence on new signings

Beyond that principally how do you attribute the time a manager spends over May / June to his role. Fair play for us doing the honest thing and unfurloughing if we think his job is back to normal - it feels like it would be quite intangible over this period though - it isn't like the usual training sessions / matches which are easy to quantify.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue May 26, 2020 10:02 am

My understanding - and this may be entirely incorrect mind - is that it is in the latter stages of each season so March / April time when players are informed or inform of their intention to stay with their current clubs.

At this point managers will be looking for players who may be available and will identify their targets watching them for their existing clubs. I thought this is why the boost the budget is timed when it is to be honest so that the budget is understood at the relevant time.
That is too simplistic.

Managers don't just start watching players in March & April. Players aren't informed of inform of their intention to stay or not at arguably the most important point of a league season in March/April as you put it. Players don't get told if they are being released/retained until the beginning of May.
Do we generally sign that many players at the very start of summer also or is it traditionally within the first 2 weeks of training restarting (which is usually 1st July onwards).

That is when full time contracts traditionally expired anyway (30th June) and players tend to sign after a trial period or at least some training - don't they have to complete medicals in order for insurance to be valid?
Again, no.

For the vast majority of clubs at the level above, and all of the ones at our level and below, contracts tend to expire at the beginning of May. (40 week contracts beginning on the first Saturday of the season).

You tend to get a flurry of signings in May & June, before pre-season starts at the beginning of July-ish. So I don't quite get your point regarding insurance given they won't be playing or training until July and their contracts don't begin until the beginning of August. The insurance would just commence from the date is it required.
I figured most of May / June was spent lining players up to come training at the first of July and get a feel for their interests / intentions.

I'll be honest I assumed the extensions were done it's just they are being announced over a longer period to keep hits / interest in the social channels and hits on the website.
Like above, a lot of clubs have already identified who they want and begin getting them to sign contracts prior to pre-season training and the following season. This will again be in May/June time.

The idea that you line players up to come in to training to get a feel for their interests & intentions is incorrect for the large part. Yes this happens with players you are unsure about and come in on trial but obviously for the players you want you try to get them signed in May & June prior to pre-season. You know this.

A number of contract extensions will have already been done - there may still be a few to work on. Obviously Alun then has to work on signing players for next season - of which we need 3 or 4 new players (which is best-case scenario based on all of the current squad staying).

There is uncertainty on when the new season will start, but to not bring Alun off furlough now - when players up and down the country are becoming available - would be reckless and bad planning.
Last edited by Darlofan97 on Tue May 26, 2020 10:08 am, edited 4 times in total.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue May 26, 2020 10:06 am

lo36789 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:59 am
My actual logic is that summer activity this year will be very different to normal;

- we lost the traditional time when scouting / identifying targets would take place at the back end of a season
- there is uncertainty over when training or the season will start anyway
- there is even more uncertainty over the finances of clubs in and around our level (who have players currently contracted / are in the market for the same players as us)
- there isn't any certainty over when we can conduct the usual due diligence on new signings

Beyond that principally how do you attribute the time a manager spends over May / June to his role. Fair play for us doing the honest thing and unfurloughing if we think his job is back to normal - it feels like it would be quite intangible over this period though - it isn't like the usual training sessions / matches which are easy to quantify.
Like I've said, it's too simplistic to suggest that scouting/identifying targets takes place at the back end of a season.

There is uncertainty when the season will start, but FA regulations are still in place surrounding player contracts and released/retained lists. Contracts can also be amended to commence at the start of the following season - whenever that is.

There is uncertainty over finances - however we are in a better position than most.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue May 26, 2020 10:27 am

curried Quaker wrote:Hate to say this! But I reckon Wheatley could be on his way to Harrogate. Just the middle fielder they are looking for along with Falkingham
You were saying🤔🤔

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:02 am

Liddle now signed.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue May 26, 2020 11:02 am

Fantastic news this.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:09 am

We are in a better position but Andy Holt at Accrington has basically confirmed that the EFL aren't able to offer any contract extensions at the moment due to that uncertainty.

That means you have potentially 50% of players who do not know if they have a future in full time football.

Are we really able to sign the best players available and get the best bang for our buck until some of these issues are resolved?

The EFL are even more uncertain as they seem to be potentially set to play next season behind closed doors (Bradford twitter) that would mean a c. 40-50% drop in revenues for all clubs.

That has to have a knock on to wages and subsequently whether players are able to continue to be full time professionals.

I do fear if we act too early this year we are going to miss out on those who become available once certainty is restored and be paying over the odds for what we do get as the market hasn't yet been restored to determine salaries.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:18 am

We aren't part of the EFL.

The majority of the players which we will sign, and have recently signed, are from clubs in the league above, current level or leagues below.

There will be exceptions to that, but I would suggest the majority will be in those leagues where we know contracts have ended.

There will be a knock-on in wages, which is why the club is safeguarding themselves with a clause in contracts signed.

We could act too early, but then we could also act too late and miss out on some of our targets at this level (there's a few at York & Blyth I can imagine Alun will be interested in again as an example).

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue May 26, 2020 11:39 am

lo36789 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:09 am
We are in a better position but Andy Holt at Accrington has basically confirmed that the EFL aren't able to offer any contract extensions at the moment due to that uncertainty.

That means you have potentially 50% of players who do not know if they have a future in full time football.

Are we really able to sign the best players available and get the best bang for our buck until some of these issues are resolved?

The EFL are even more uncertain as they seem to be potentially set to play next season behind closed doors (Bradford twitter) that would mean a c. 40-50% drop in revenues for all clubs.

That has to have a knock on to wages and subsequently whether players are able to continue to be full time professionals.

I do fear if we act too early this year we are going to miss out on those who become available once certainty is restored and be paying over the odds for what we do get as the market hasn't yet been restored to determine salaries.
I think this is a reasonable point - there may be an exit of players from the pro game if club's shrink their squads/wage bills. It's possible the standard of the conference north could improve next season if there is an influx of players into it who, in an alternative world, would still be at pro clubs. Or it might not. The uncertainty is massive. It must be tricky for Armstrong (and others) to get the right balance with respect to new signings. Certainly make for an unpredictable season when it finally kicks off!

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Tue May 26, 2020 1:08 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:18 am

The majority of the players which we will sign, and have recently signed, are from clubs in the league above, current level or leagues below.

There will be exceptions to that, but I would suggest the majority will be in those leagues where we know contracts have ended.

There will be a knock-on in wages, which is why the club is safeguarding themselves with a clause in contracts signed.

We could act too early, but then we could also act too late and miss out on some of our targets at this level (there's a few at York & Blyth I can imagine Alun will be interested in again as an example).
But the players available from the league above may be determined to some extent by what happens at EFL clubs. If NL clubs suddenly have a new pool of players available to them, then those available to us may include some we would previously have thought unattainable.

Spyman

Re: New deal for,Donawa, Hatfield , Rivers, Holmes, Hedley,Reid, Storey, Campbell, Laing, Wheatley, Liddle

Post by Spyman » Tue May 26, 2020 1:27 pm

Galbraith, Atkinson, Watson and Holness still without contract then?

I wonder if Galbraith, as Captain, is being saved until last to be announced. It would seem odd if he were moving on not to announce that at the same time Thompson did.

Whatever happens now we've tied down the core of the side which takes a lot of pressure off.

Great work by the club.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue May 26, 2020 1:48 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:08 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:

But the players available from the league above may be determined to some extent by what happens at EFL clubs. If NL clubs suddenly have a new pool of players available to them, then those available to us may include some we would previously have thought unattainable.
It's a good point but the reality is we are a relatively small player with a limited part-time budget.

I still believe Alun will go for his tried & tested again.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue May 26, 2020 1:55 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

Who's to say we aren't waiting to see who we can sign who might not otherwise be attainable?

So far we're only securing current squad members who we want to keep. First and foremost we're not going to risk them going elsewhere, unless they're absolutely determined to do so.

Look at York, they're basically in the same boat as EFL clubs and any other non EFL but full time clubs. They will have contracts running until June 30th and when they want to sign new players or resign their own players as a full time club they will be expected to start from July 1st - and McGill might not be keen to fund that with no start to the season in sight.

So we could have a situation at York and at other similar clubs where they can't or won't offer new contracts until there is certainty.

We've got a little bit more certainty than other non league clubs because we have the BTB money and a relatively high % of season ticket holders compared to average gates. The club will already have sounded out sponsors to see who is still able to back the club and should have a ballpark figure on that too. So you can imagine we will have "most" of our budget already in place - whatever happens with the season.

Also I think (but could be wrong) that part time contracts only run for the duration of the season, so if that's true there is no risk signing players as you're not going to be paying them until they're playing?

Back to for example York, who have several players who were part time but followed the full time dream, those players if not under contract could be in limbo. Are they going to get another offer from York? If so when? They don't now have a day job so how are they going to pay bills in July onwards if no contract offer comes forth? Someone like Maguire though, can wrap it in and go back to his old job, and sign a part time contract elsewhere.

So yeah - Jameson, Tait, Griffiths, Maguire/Langstaff - come to Darlo lads, you know it makes sense!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue May 26, 2020 2:13 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:55 pm
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

Who's to say we aren't waiting to see who we can sign who might not otherwise be attainable?

So far we're only securing current squad members who we want to keep. First and foremost we're not going to risk them going elsewhere, unless they're absolutely determined to do so.

Look at York, they're basically in the same boat as EFL clubs and any other non EFL but full time clubs. They will have contracts running until June 30th and when they want to sign new players or resign their own players as a full time club they will be expected to start from July 1st - and McGill might not be keen to fund that with no start to the season in sight.

So we could have a situation at York and at other similar clubs where they can't or won't offer new contracts until there is certainty.

We've got a little bit more certainty than other non league clubs because we have the BTB money and a relatively high % of season ticket holders compared to average gates. The club will already have sounded out sponsors to see who is still able to back the club and should have a ballpark figure on that too. So you can imagine we will have "most" of our budget already in place - whatever happens with the season.

Also I think (but could be wrong) that part time contracts only run for the duration of the season, so if that's true there is no risk signing players as you're not going to be paying them until they're playing?

Back to for example York, who have several players who were part time but followed the full time dream, those players if not under contract could be in limbo. Are they going to get another offer from York? If so when? They don't now have a day job so how are they going to pay bills in July onwards if no contract offer comes forth? Someone like Maguire though, can wrap it in and go back to his old job, and sign a part time contract elsewhere.

So yeah - Jameson, Tait, Griffiths, Maguire/Langstaff - come to Darlo lads, you know it makes sense!
I don't believe that York run their contracts over the full 52 weeks.

You can still be a full-time club but run your contracts over a 40 week or so period.

You can also amend contracts to commence on the first game of next season, so there wouldn't be a commitment to pay players on 1st July, only when the new season commences.

I think the dilemma for York is that they are already losing a load of money (£900k per year apparently) that McGill covers out of his own pocket. Obviously they can go ahead and start retaining players but the worry for them will be if the above loss increases substantially. £900k is already a significant amount to start off on the back-foot on.

But yes I agree - some of those players may just be best off signing for us and I would suspect Alun will try for a couple you've mentioned at the very least.

Old Git

Re: New deal for,Donawa, Hatfield , Rivers, Holmes, Hedley,Reid, Storey, Campbell, Laing, Wheatley, Liddle

Post by Old Git » Tue May 26, 2020 2:21 pm

Spyman wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:27 pm

I wonder if Galbraith, as Captain, is being saved until last to be announced. It would seem odd if he were moving on not to announce that at the same time Thompson did.

Whatever happens now we've tied down the core of the side which takes a lot of pressure off.

Great work by the club.

The bulk of our squad now taking shape. With respect to those yet to be confirmed all the main players from last season are now signed up. I think it likely Atkinson will join them not so sure of all the rest. Heard that Tez may be thinking of moving on possibly to South Shields which would be the final link from the Northern League days gone.
There will be scope to bring in some fresh faces but as others have rightly said there is no rush until we see who becomes available. We are in good shape and have the basis of a strong team that with a few useful additions should be a force to be reckoned with.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Tue May 26, 2020 2:23 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:13 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:55 pm
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

I don't believe that York run their contracts over the full 52 weeks.

You can still be a full-time club but run your contracts over a 40 week or so period.

You can also amend contracts to commence on the first game of next season, so there wouldn't be a commitment to pay players on 1st July, only when the new season commences.

I think the dilemma for York is that they are already losing a load of money (£900k per year apparently) that McGill covers out of his own pocket. Obviously they can go ahead and start retaining players but the worry for them will be if the above loss increases substantially. £900k is already a significant amount to start off on the back-foot on.

But yes I agree - some of those players may just be best off signing for us and I would suspect Alun will try for a couple you've mentioned at the very least.
There’s word amongst York fans that Maguire has agreed to mutually terminate his contract. McGill wants to cut back on the squad budget next year so quite a few of their players are open to offers.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue May 26, 2020 2:56 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:13 pm

I think the dilemma for York is that they are already losing a load of money (£900k per year apparently) that McGill covers out of his own pocket.
Well, until Bootham Crescent gets sold then he gets it back.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue May 26, 2020 3:18 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:21 pm
Spyman wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:27 pm

Great work by the club.

The bulk of our squad now taking shape. With respect to those yet to be confirmed all the main players from last season are now signed up. I think it likely Atkinson will join them not so sure of all the rest. Heard that Tez may be thinking of moving on possibly to South Shields which would be the final link from the Northern League days gone.
There will be scope to bring in some fresh faces but as others have rightly said there is no rush until we see who becomes available. We are in good shape and have the basis of a strong team that with a few useful additions should be a force to be reckoned with.
Galbraith has a few options I believe, some of the more forward thinking Northern League Clubs are interested in one or two of our players.

I think Tez will leave and is currently just looking at what offers football/cash is around. Same as Thompson I have a feeling he has been offered somewhat reduced terms from what he had been on and for that reason a change/new start is often good for you. I may well be wrong on this though.

See what happens as the way the announcements have been going we will know soon enough.