New deals for Donawa,Hatfield,Rivers,Holmes,Hedley,Reid,Storey,Campbell,Laing,Wheatley,Liddle,Watson,Atkinson

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Vodka_Vic
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New deal for,Donawa, Hatfield , Rivers, Holmes, Hedley,Reid, Storey, Campbell, Laing, Wheatley, Liddle

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue May 26, 2020 3:26 pm

Is Lucas Bell still on the books?

Quaker85

Re: New deal for,Donawa, Hatfield , Rivers, Holmes, Hedley,Reid, Storey, Campbell, Laing, Wheatley, Liddle

Post by Quaker85 » Tue May 26, 2020 4:36 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:13 pm

I think the dilemma for York is that they are already losing a load of money (£900k per year apparently) that McGill covers out of his own pocket.
Well, until Bootham Crescent gets sold then he gets it back.
Offsets Yorks losses against his packaging co profits saving a fortune in tax. Will he pay capital gains tax on the land sale though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed May 27, 2020 7:48 am

Quaker85 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:36 pm
al_quaker wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:13 pm

I think the dilemma for York is that they are already losing a load of money (£900k per year apparently) that McGill covers out of his own pocket.
Well, until Bootham Crescent gets sold then he gets it back.
Offsets Yorks losses against his packaging co profits saving a fortune in tax. Will he pay capital gains tax on the land sale though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure - we need a chartered accountant on the job..!

Watson signed up too now

onewayup

Re: New deal for Donawa, Hatfield, Rivers, Holmes, Hedley, Reid, Storey , Campbell, Laing, Wheatley, Liddle, Watson,

Post by onewayup » Wed May 27, 2020 9:23 am

Wondering about tez Galbraith, Omar holness, and Atkinson,, I would like to see them back keeping continuity, with a goal keeper, a couple of new signings
And darlo won't be far from sorted.

lo36789

Re: New deal for Donawa, Hatfield, Rivers, Holmes, Hedley, Reid, Storey , Campbell, Laing, Wheatley, Liddle, Watson,

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 27, 2020 9:35 am

Wouldn't surprise me if they are three that go. We actually have the spine of a starting XI now.

4-3-3
GK
Hedley Storey Laing Liddle
Hatfield Wheatley Reid
Donawa Campbell Rivers

Holmes, Watson

4-4-2
GK
Hedley, Storey, Laing, Liddle
Donawa, Hatfield, Wheatley, Rivers
Campbell, Holmes

Reid, Watson

Obviously need a GK. It will be interesting if beyond that the players brought in are destined to be 'first team' or are going to be to bulk out the squad.

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Wed May 27, 2020 9:48 am

We defo need a GK, CB and CF that go straight into that team. Too many times last season we were gave away goals or weren't clinical enough in front of goal. I think AA will have a similar thinking... he will want to make the next step and be in the play offs not skirting around them

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 27, 2020 10:24 am

Very possibly though not sure who drops out.

Holmes is clearly highly rated as he gave him the new deal despite not playing at all last season. I can't see Campbell being replaced either.

At the back Laing will be the fans choice to be moved out but again Armstrong likes his style of play and was vocal is his support of him last season.

To some extent Holmes is like a new signing the amount we saw him last season. I guess if we can get Maguire that will be a game changer - I do wonder if the loan market could be dipped into instead if not.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Wed May 27, 2020 10:35 am

Kieran Weledji has just left Whitby, highly thought of there and he’s an ex Boro youth team player. Could he be Galbraith’s replacement if he was to leave?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 27, 2020 10:36 am

Holmes isn't a centre-forward. He can play on the right, left or behind the centre-forward - so he gives us options there.

The most likely outcome is that we sign a new centre-forward (Maguire, O'Neill or Boyes etc) and Campbell moves out-wide to the right or left.

We all know by now that Alun prefers to set-up his teams in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. He doesn't tend to stick 2 up top. When Ty & Campbell played in the same side Campbell tended to be out on the left or right.

If Alun can't sign a new centre-forward he will then probably sign Langstaff or Wrightson for out-wide to bolster those areas.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed May 27, 2020 10:41 am

Would be very surprised if Atky does go. Him and AA have massive mutual respect and think they're just holding his back to keep up the interest. Wouldn't be surprised if Atky is announced today. Not sure about Tez and Omar.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:04 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:36 am
When Ty & Campbell played in the same side Campbell tended to be out on the left or right.
My recollection was we had two up top when we had O'Neill. Campbell would generally play off him but don't remember him being played wide specifically - at Trafford in particular he was mostly central and was receiving the ball deep(ish)...but appreciate that was disputed enough last season. You are right though Holmes and Campbell as a front 2 is difficult to imagine.

Which is why I am imagining Maguire is a target and the other would slot in around that in the two wider positions in a 4-3-3...that would massively overload us with wide players though with Campbell, Holmes, Donawa and Rivers fighting for 2 positions - and illustrates why Thompson was surplus to requirements.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:15 am

All 3 playing behind Ty tended to float around when attacking. Dropped back in to a 5 in midfield when defending though.

Hypothetically, you would have Rivers & Donawa as options for the right....Campbell & Holmes as options for the left and a new centre-forward upfront. Reid playing behind or dropping back in to a 3.

Don't forget Donawa goes off on international duty which can leave us short - it did last season. Holmes is also coming back from a fairly serious injury.

All hypothetical - of course!

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Wed May 27, 2020 11:18 am

lo36789 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:04 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:36 am
When Ty & Campbell played in the same side Campbell tended to be out on the left or right.
My recollection was we had two up top when we had O'Neill. Campbell would generally play off him but don't remember him being played wide specifically - at Trafford in particular he was mostly central and was receiving the ball deep(ish)...but appreciate that was disputed enough last season. You are right though Holmes and Campbell as a front 2 is difficult to imagine.

Which is why I am imagining Maguire is a target and the other would slot in around that in the two wider positions in a 4-3-3...that would massively overload us with wide players though with Campbell, Holmes, Donawa and Rivers fighting for 2 positions - and illustrates why Thompson was surplus to requirements.
Campbell definitely played more on the left hand side of a 3, when we had Tyrone.

Like suggested earlier, I imagine if we did get a central striker, Campbell would revert to the left of the 3 and feed off the central striker.
Craig Liddle is God!!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed May 27, 2020 12:14 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Would be very surprised if Atky does go. Him and AA have massive mutual respect and think they're just holding his back to keep up the interest. Wouldn't be surprised if Atky is announced today. Not sure about Tez and Omar.
Totally agree Adam, AA rates Atky very highly and would be a shock if we did not sign him.Would be like a new signing.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 27, 2020 12:29 pm

lo36789 wrote:Wouldn't surprise me if they are three that go. We actually have the spine of a starting XI now.

4-3-3
GK
Hedley Storey Laing Liddle
Hatfield Wheatley Reid
Donawa Campbell Rivers

Holmes, Watson

4-4-2
GK
Hedley, Storey, Laing, Liddle
Donawa, Hatfield, Wheatley, Rivers
Campbell, Holmes

Reid, Watson

Obviously need a GK. It will be interesting if beyond that the players brought in are destined to be 'first team' or are going to be to bulk out the squad.
Which was more or less our strongest side in the latter part of the season.

As others have said, a CF (let's say McGuire) will give us options. Campbell is a terrific player but it'd be useful in some circumstances for him not to be the focal point of the attack. It doesn't mean he never plays as a centre forward, but it gives different options.

Not sure if Armstrong strongly prefers one up top or if it was just a bit forced on him with the personnel at his disposal last season.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 27, 2020 12:42 pm

Alun predominately played 1 up-front at Blyth. Maguire the focal point, the likes of Rivers, Reid, Dale, Holmes & Wrightson playing off him.

We tried two up-front at stages of last season and it didn't work.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed May 27, 2020 12:48 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Alun predominately played 1 up-front at Blyth. Maguire the focal point, the likes of Rivers, Reid, Dale, Holmes & Wrightson playing off him.

And as AA has said in the past he doesn't necessarily want a big man up front or need one so he might have a different style in mind for next season or the same as last

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed May 27, 2020 1:05 pm

Hopefully we'll find out more this even from Alun when he does the Netcafe. I presume we can watch it on the official website?

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed May 27, 2020 1:18 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Hopefully we'll find out more this even from Alun when he does the Netcafe. I presume we can watch it on the official website?
You don't do the official site do u Pete thought you preferred to get ur info off here🤔🤔

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed May 27, 2020 1:39 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:18 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:Hopefully we'll find out more this even from Alun when he does the Netcafe. I presume we can watch it on the official website?
You don't do the official site do u Pete thought you preferred to get ur info off here🤔🤔

I can be tempted to the dark side on the odd occasion!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed May 27, 2020 1:56 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:42 pm
Alun predominately played 1 up-front at Blyth. Maguire the focal point, the likes of Rivers, Reid, Dale, Holmes & Wrightson playing off him.

O'Neil and Campbell in a front 2, with Rivers and Thommo/Donawa wide, worked

Anyone who comes back and says it wasn't a front 2 because Campbell dropped deeper sometimes, or it was only 1 up top because Campbell is titchy, or that we were fluid or any other such nonsense, just know that you are wrong.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 27, 2020 2:22 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:56 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:

Anyone who comes back and says it wasn't a front 2 because Campbell dropped deeper sometimes, or it was only 1 up top because Campbell is titchy, or that we were fluid or any other such nonsense, just know that you are wrong.
It didn’t work.

We were much more effective in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. That’s why Alun played this formation so often both here & at Blyth.

It’s all subjective. You have your opinion, I have mine. We didn’t play a standard 4-4-2 for a lot of last season (which is factually correct), and there is a reason for that.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 27, 2020 3:55 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:56 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:

It didn’t work.

We were much more effective in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. That’s why Alun played this formation so often both here & at Blyth.

It’s all subjective. You have your opinion, I have mine. We didn’t play a standard 4-4-2 for a lot of last season (which is factually correct), and there is a reason for that.
As I said, probably as much due to a lack of suitable personnel as anything - it's hardly like you can say 442 doesn't work, it's one of the most common formations in world football over the last 40 years.

Doesn't mean he'll try it or build a squad around it, but it's definitely something that could work if we had someone else alongside Campbell who is familiar in that role.

We have the other elements required - we typically play a back four, we have wingers on both sides who can stretch teams and we have central midfielders capable of covering plenty of ground in Hatfield and Wheatley (as well as Holness if he stays).

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 27, 2020 4:06 pm

As I said, he also set-up the same way at Blyth as he predominately does here. Was that due to lack of personnel?

I think it’s quite obvious this is how Alun sets his side up. He did it at Blyth, and he’s doing it here. I’m sure he’s also gone on record to say this is his preferred formation.

We tried to play 4-4-2 last season and, for me, it didn’t work that well. This is why we predominately set-up 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 for a lot of the season, and also why we signed Reid whose best position is behind the centre-forward.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 27, 2020 5:16 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:As I said, he also set-up the same way at Blyth as he predominately does here. Was that due to lack of personnel?
Quite possibly, yes. I'm not familiar with his squad at Blyth other than those he's brought with him but sounds like McGuire was the only proven 'centre forward' option with a number of attacking midfielders, wingers etc supplementing that.

What I'm saying is if we were to sign McGuire, or similar, we then have two proven centre forwards which opens up the option of playing 442 more effectively than we have done, or perhaps he was able to do at Blyth.

Armstrong has made it clear several times that he sees Campbell as a CF, and a very good one. I'd think he's unlikely to add another high-end CF to the squad unless he sees playing two up front as a genuine option for the season ahead.

DC

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 27, 2020 5:23 pm

I personally think if we do sign another centre-forward then Campbell will move out wide where he proved to be equally as effective last season.

I think Alun will be looking to improve on the chances we missed last season, as e4sby points out.

Maguire was not the only centre-forward at Blyth either. Alun just prefers to start one up-front, as he did at Blyth for 2 years and here last season (predominately speaking).

divas

Post by divas » Wed May 27, 2020 5:33 pm

It’s going to be a long season. The idea is to try and build a squad for it with appropriate cover and flexibility. We’ve all watched the game long enough to know that the starting XI on day one (whenever that may be) is usually quite different to that on the final day. There’s no doubt Alun will be looking to bring in at least 3 key players that will strengthen the squad likely with a few more who will have a lesser role. Over the course of the season they’ll all play their part in some way so trying to second guess a whole 40 odd game season is impossible. Just look at what happened in the first few game last season - best laid plans and all that....when the need arises I’m sure Campbell will play wide, and he’ll play in behind and he’ll play as the main man up top and the other options he ends up will fit in around him. The more competition the better.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 27, 2020 7:36 pm

Still awaiting a response from Galbraith regarding his offer. Sounds like these are reduced terms similar to Thompson.

Holness has been offered improved terms but his new agent has sorted him trials at Football League clubs.

No mention of Atkinson.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Wed May 27, 2020 7:44 pm

In his interview on Tees sport AA mentioned Hatfield now has a 2 year contract. Great news.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Thu May 28, 2020 8:07 am

Atkinson has signed a new deal.