Rugby League

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri May 08, 2020 5:05 pm

I think it is ridiculous that the union expect clubs to repay all the deferred wages. Such a commitment would surely force some clubs out of business & surely that isn't what the players or the union would want to happen.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri May 08, 2020 6:43 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:05 pm
I think it is ridiculous that the union expect clubs to repay all the deferred wages. Such a commitment would surely force some clubs out of business & surely that isn't what the players or the union would want to happen.
I am worried that even with the government loans now available that we will lose some old and historical clubs.
Sadly with the advent of SL while not as bad as football, to see clubs like Keighley and Workington struggling to survive in league 1 is very sad. I remember going to both as a young lad, and while never "fashionable" they always had strong local support. To lose these clubs would be horrible.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat May 09, 2020 1:06 pm

Whether it's football or RL there will always be some historic clubs that will struggle further down the leagues, whether it's Sunderland, Plymouth, Keighley or Workington. Clubs all with very loyal fans, but at the end of the day that counts for nothing in these perilous times & sadly I'd be amazed if there weren't casualties before this is all over. Each casualty would be a tragedy, but it will not stop football & RL from returning from this pandemic, whenever it finishes.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat May 09, 2020 1:15 pm

The only ones I see returning any time soon are the Prem league, and that is all about the money as we know.

I do not see lower levels of football or ANY level of rugby league starting again any time soon.

Put quite simply the prem can play behind closed doors and not impact to much on finances. No way can any other level of football or any level of RL survive without gate money.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue May 12, 2020 10:17 pm

I was trying to find some sort of sport to watch on Sky the other day & came across Wigan v Bath from 1996, which is on at 1-00am on Thu night/ Fri morning. It's the fixture I was talking about the Clash of the Codes, this was the clash under league rules, hopefully they'll show the clash under union rules as well. So I'll be recording this programme, should make for interesting viewing. :thumbup:

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed May 13, 2020 7:06 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:17 pm
I was trying to find some sort of sport to watch on Sky the other day & came across Wigan v Bath from 1996, which is on at 1-00am on Thu night/ Fri morning. It's the fixture I was talking about the Clash of the Codes, this was the clash under league rules, hopefully they'll show the clash under union rules as well. So I'll be recording this programme, should make for interesting viewing. :thumbup:
The real Derby had a good run out last Saturday with 5 of our fixtures being shown. Only enjoyed 2 of them !!!!!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri May 15, 2020 10:52 am

Some good news for RL as Masoe walks unaided. Looks like he'll be able to walk onto the pitch at Craven Park for Hull KR's first home game, whenever that is. It's good to hear some good news in these troubled times.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/52664502

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri May 15, 2020 2:36 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:52 am
Some good news for RL as Masoe walks unaided. Looks like he'll be able to walk onto the pitch at Craven Park for Hull KR's first home game, whenever that is. It's good to hear some good news in these troubled times.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/52664502
Read your comment and was going to say I wish you could see the latest video but went to the article and watched the video.
You actually miss the best bit as the music is louder on here than the video I received in which you can clearly hear his younger daughter say "Come on Daddy. You can do it".

Ps, I actually don't think it was a good idea her pulling the frame in case he had fallen onto her.

A couple of times I have wanted to post video's and photos on here but can't work out how to do it.

Darlo Since 68

Post by Darlo Since 68 » Fri May 15, 2020 7:17 pm

Hi

As some of you know, I am raising funds for the DFCSG by selling donated programmes.

In one of the piles of donated programmes is a 1969 Castelford v Salford Callenge Cup Final programme from Wembley.

Would anyone be interested in this programme for a donation to the Ground Development Fund?

You can email me at andrew.matthews@darlingtonfc.org

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri May 15, 2020 9:11 pm

I can't imagine that Castleford ever got to a Challenge Cup Final, sorry Rob only joking. I'd imagine that Rob would be interested in that programme DS68.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun May 17, 2020 5:56 pm

Didn't realise that Wigan thrashed Bath in the RL version of the Clash of the codes 82-6 & Bath won the return RU version 44-19, but Wigan actually outscored Bath in the second half. To prepare for the RU clash against Bath at Twickenham, Wigan decided to enter the prestigious Middlesex 7's & Wigan won it. I think this was the reason why the clash of the titans was a one off, as the RU had been humiliated by the performance of Wigan.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue May 19, 2020 2:44 pm

The Challenge Cup has been postponed, but may still take place later in the year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/52704712

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue May 19, 2020 4:57 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:44 pm
The Challenge Cup has been postponed, but may still take place later in the year.

Latest word I have is they are looking at August for SL to restart.
If so I think the cup will be scrapped this year.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue May 19, 2020 6:33 pm

I think it'll depend on if they can move the Grand Final to a later date in the Autumn, if it still to be held in October at Old Trafford, then I agree the Challenge Cup will be cancelled for this year.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed May 20, 2020 8:02 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:57 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:44 pm

Latest word I have is they are looking at August for SL to restart.
If so I think the cup will be scrapped this year.
I think a lot depends on when they can start contact training. To me a minimum of 3 weeks is needed, especially as there will be no friendlies.
Even if they start on Monday that takes us to the middle of June so the back end of June is the earliest start. With 22 league games to fit in no way can they get to play the GF as it is now scheduled. That would mean teams playing up to 4 times a week. Footballers could not do that let alone rugby players. It would just lead to career ending injuries.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu May 21, 2020 9:00 pm

Suoerleague set to return by the 1st August, with limited crowds by October. Interestingly there are 3 options, all of which will see the Challenge Cup be played out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/52755175

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri May 22, 2020 7:23 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:00 pm
Suoerleague set to return by the 1st August, with limited crowds by October. Interestingly there are 3 options, all of which will see the Challenge Cup be played out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/52755175
Well you certainly beat me to that 1 Pete, but now read the piece and looking at it, the entire thing if full of it's and but's.
Biggest problem of all comes right at the end and in the paragraph directly before it.

Quote,
" hence the scheduling of the majority of games for a time when it is hoped they can allow season-ticket holders and other paying customers back in."
Remember we are talking "limited numbers" here.

Just going by my club. If you use the South end terrace we have a capacity of 12,000, 9,000 without it. We have just short of 7,000 season ticket holders. Of those 2,500 are in 4 blocks in the North stand. (Me amongst them), and nearly 2,000 seated in the West stand.
What are they going to do? A "prize draw" as to who can attend? This half can go to this match but not that 1? I guarantee you, round the country more fans than already are will be screaming for refunds if they are "Not allowed" to go to games they have "paid for".

Para' above.

Quote,
"Restarting the season in August would allow clubs to get the maximum benefit from the government's job retention scheme, with the current levels of furlough payments due to finish at the end of July."

1 way or the other simply NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.
A very obvious problem there. Are they going to ask players to play with no training whatever? If they are "furloughed" until the end of July they are not allowed to do ANYTHING connected to their jobs.
Also the date is incorrect. The government have extended the furlough date to a max of October, (at the present time), as I mentioned before.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri May 22, 2020 7:36 am

The number of midweek games proposed is also a bit worrying, as clubs & players are geared up to play one game a week.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri May 22, 2020 4:49 pm

Big signing for the Toronto Wolfpack as Kallum Watkins agrees to join them from the NRL. It's also good to hear that he has taken a pay cut to join them on a 3 year contract.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri May 22, 2020 6:01 pm

Think this will interest you Pete after your post of last night.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/r ... it-2862647

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat May 23, 2020 10:00 pm

Wow a leak, so where does that leave things? Wonder which club leaked the details & will they find the culprit?

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue May 26, 2020 5:42 pm

This will give you a laugh.

Mose's video yesterday. ..... Physio He has 2 sets of stairs in his house. A stair lift was put in the ground floor/first floor, but he said he did not want 1 up to the top. Been using that for physio. His words !!!!" At first I was shuffling on my arse but today I got up and down on my feet. The wife has now told me I can hover up and wash up to help my physio" !!!!!!
Honest this guys attitude puts many to shame.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue May 26, 2020 10:15 pm

Yes that was funny, I guess he set himself up for that. Women can be very cunning, haha.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu May 28, 2020 12:01 am

Good to see the NRL is starting back up in Australia, although it'll be behind closed doors.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun May 31, 2020 8:39 am

Nothing changes !!!!
Sunday morning watching Manly v the Bulldogs live and Manly go over after 3 and a half minutes. Final pass clearly went from behind the 10 yard line to in front of it for the lad to go over with ref running bang in line, and misses it.
Only 1 ref, but 1 or 2 they can't get this basic rule correct !!!!!
No wonder the game is dying on its feet.

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:10 pm

I have now watched several games and do enjoy the NRL, got to say the new tackle/play the ball rule/interpretation by refs, has increased the pace of the game, will the rule be introduced over here, or again is it to be different rules ? Not sure the SL players will be too happy even bigger levels of fitness will be required !

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:15 pm

I haven't seen any of the NRL games yet, Rob what happens in this rule change?

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:08 pm

Pete basically refs have been told that at the play the ball not to allow defenders to stop a quick play by the oppostion, thats probably always been the rule but they are strictly enforcing it, penalties for holding down not moving away are punished by giving the attacking team another 6 to go.
You watch it the pace of the game has gone up another notch, and less penalties are being given.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:02 am

robsraiders wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:08 pm
Pete basically refs have been told that at the play the ball not to allow defenders to stop a quick play by the oppostion, thats probably always been the rule but they are strictly enforcing it, penalties for holding down not moving away are punished by giving the attacking team another 6 to go.
You watch it the pace of the game has gone up another notch, and less penalties are being given.
Only seen a couple of games but the 1 thing I noticed and liked was that if a defending player accidentally gets caught up in the play the ball the ref's have ignored it instead of blowing for a penalty. This also speeds things up.

Saw a query on another group where someone asked why when taking a penalty most of our players only advance 10 yards or so rather than give the ball some welly and make 30 yards or so. Now this has been a complaint of mine at KR for a few years but had not noticed it with other sides who all seem to make more ground than we do. I also noted that the Aussies are still trying for 50 yards every time and if they miss so what, the players have time to move up and cover thus making more ground than ours do.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:46 am

I've not looked here for a while but going back to The clash of codes a car load of us travelled down the M6 the day of Bath v Wigan in Darlington colours. The services were full of Wigan fans who all thought we were Bath supporters!