Playoffs

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

onewayup
Team Supported: Darlington

Playoffs

Post by onewayup » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:39 am

At the meeting yesterday it was believed that there is insufficient time to get the playoffs played,
They believe that the playoffs will not take place.
Only one up .

m62exile

Re: Playoffs

Post by m62exile » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:53 am

The reason as I understand it is that the NLN and NLS were not classed as “elite sport” by the DCMS.

The NL was considered elite so they can go ahead with play offs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:47 am

m62exile wrote:The reason as I understand it is that the NLN and NLS were not classed as “elite sport” by the DCMS.

There are not many Elite sportsmen in the NL I'd say so how do they come to that conclusion probably just rolled a dice as usual

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:05 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:47 am
m62exile wrote:The reason as I understand it is that the NLN and NLS were not classed as “elite sport” by the DCMS.

There are not many Elite sportsmen in the NL I'd say so how do they come to that conclusion probably just rolled a dice as usual

Government decision - elite sports are where majority are full time

Not really sure why the distinction as long as relevant safeguards are in place, it matters not whether athletes are full time or not. Its not as if covid-19 decides not to infect full time athletes and only go for non athletes or part time athletes

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:08 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:47 am

I think the classification was that the individuals involved in the sport derive their primary income from their sporting employment.

As the majority of NL is professional it is classed as elite. On the other hand the NLN and NLS are predominantly semi-professional so dont qualify.

The line had to be drawn somewhere I guess. Admittedly the playoffs in this league could have been somewhat of a farce. Just look at Chester as an example, they lost Asante who's second top scorer in the league. Doubt his new club Gloucester would allow him to play in any playoffs for risk of injury.

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:32 am

I see York have just put in a counter suggestion (unsurprisingly) that those teams finishing 2nd in both NLN and NLS get promoted automatically, and the original intended 4 teams are relegated from the NL.

Have to say I think they have a decent case.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:34 am

Geordie Quaker wrote:I see York have just put in a counter suggestion (unsurprisingly) that those teams finishing 2nd in both NLN and NLS get promoted automatically, and the original intended 4 teams are relegated from the NL.

Is it the case again that the NL have more votes than NLN and NLS? I don’t know, but if so then surely they’ve got little chance.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:39 am

m62exile wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:34 am
Geordie Quaker wrote:I see York have just put in a counter suggestion (unsurprisingly) that those teams finishing 2nd in both NLN and NLS get promoted automatically, and the original intended 4 teams are relegated from the NL.

Is it the case again that the NL have more votes than NLN and NLS? I don’t know, but if so then surely they’ve got little chance.

I'd think there is no chance of that being adopted, too much vested interest in only one side being relegated from the NL. York need to accept their fate, at least they'll have the compensation of playing Darlo again. :D

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:48 am

I feel sympathy for York but the league was never finished. If they genuinely finished 1st or 2nd then they would have a much stronger case. Also some of their fans :roll: They think they are an elite club, because of their "history/new ground/full time staff". However they are in this league for a reason (the same as us) and they need to get real.

Good luck to them in their appeal - if they can get up into the next league then I wish them well but it's not looking likely.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:30 pm

m62exile wrote:

They do have a very good moral argument but the step 1 clubs will vote it down.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:05 pm

Don't the clubs at risk of relegation from NL have as much voting power as all of NLN? Probably explains where that will go...

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:08 pm

spen666 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:05 am
Its not as if covid-19 decides not to infect full time athletes and only go for non athletes or part time athletes
No but your capacity to catch and spread the disease increases if you are exposed to more people...

A FT football club can operate in a bubble. Players with other jobs cannot.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:26 pm

m62exile wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:34 am

My understanding is that the NL clubs have a vote each. The NLN and NLS clubs each have 4 votes between them. So potentially, a total of 32 votes could be cast. On that basis, I would think that York's proposal has little chance of succeeding. It seems unlikely that NL clubs would vote to relegate 4 instead of 1.