Increasingly unlikely playoffs

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

onewayup
Team Supported: Darlington

Increasingly unlikely playoffs

Post by onewayup » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:32 am

According to the meeting yesterday, it was stated that the playoffs were unlikely to happen because of time frame to fit them in before the new season.

AndyPark

Re: Increasingly unlikely playoffs

Post by AndyPark » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:34 am

Kings Lynn are going up via PPG and no play-offs.

Only Chorley to come down from the NL.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:40 am

AndyPark wrote:Kings Lynn are going up via PPG and no play-offs.

York City will be gutted with this, McGill may be having second thoughts about his level of funding going forward and this could be fuelling the rumours about a number of players leaving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:27 am

Altrincham reckoned it would have cost them £50,000 to take part in behind closed doors playoffs with a full testing regime but they were up for the gamble to try to get back to where they feel they should be. However, they've accepted that it's now gone and they are just focused on next season.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:26 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:40 am

York City will be gutted with this, McGill may be having second thoughts about his level of funding going forward and this could be fuelling the rumours about a number of players leaving.

Ron, agree with this. Rumours were always that he would get his money back from the sale of Bootham Crescent and then bugger off.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:36 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

Ron, agree with this. Rumours were always that he would get his money back from the sale of Bootham Crescent and then bugger off.
What’s to say his packaging company is not struggling with this lockdown Adam, like a few benefactors he may have to rethink how he can keep pumping small fortunes into a non league club and surely to god he has to call a halt sooner, rather than later.We may well see some of these clubs massively slashing their budgets next season.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:05 pm

Just been reading that if the national leagues proposal isn't passed, then the board are likely to null and void the season. Meaning no promotion or relegation. This was on vanarama national league site 5hrs ago.
Or have i hit on an old page??.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:29 pm

I’ve been told the play offs in theory could be back on. It seems the league implied that the government had brought in this “elite” rule but they never stipulated about which leagues it applied to.

So PPG - the top 6 could compete if they wish. But they don’t have to, although if anyone drops out they won’t be replaced by another team, it would mean less teams taking part.

Spennymoor would miss out as they drop to 8th.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:55 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:I’ve been told the play offs in theory could be back on. It seems the league implied that the government had brought in this “elite” rule but they never stipulated about which leagues it applied to.

So PPG - the top 6 could compete if they wish. But they don’t have to, although if anyone drops out they won’t be replaced by another team, it would mean less teams taking part.

Been told by who???? Thought they were voting on it

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:48 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:55 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:I’ve been told the play offs in theory could be back on. It seems the league implied that the government had brought in this “elite” rule but they never stipulated about which leagues it applied to.

Been told by who???? Thought they were voting on it

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Perhaps I should have started the above post with the word “apparently“ but it makes no difference as If you read my post with care it says “IN THEORY COULD BE BACK ON “ It really is that simply. I’m just describing one of the numerous possibilities that may or may not happen.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:59 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:29 pm
I’ve been told the play offs in theory could be back on. It seems the league implied that the government had brought in this “elite” rule but they never stipulated about which leagues it applied to.

https://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.c ... the-table/

NLP reporting similar

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:52 pm

What a result that would be if we managed to get shot of that famous old northern village of Brackley along with King's Lynn.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:49 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:36 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

What’s to say his packaging company is not struggling with this lockdown Adam, like a few benefactors he may have to rethink how he can keep pumping small fortunes into a non league club and surely to god he has to call a halt sooner, rather than later.We may well see some of these clubs massively slashing their budgets next season.

His firm does alot of food packaging, still a industry doing well. Hope they get promoted, sure deserve it
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:00 am

Just looking at the current resolution sent to NL clubs as reported in a Non-League Paper article. If passed (which it probably will, otherwise the default is anulment ie no promotion to EFL), there will be play-offs in NLN and NLS "if legally possible". There would be no compulsion for qualifying clubs to take part but there would need to be a minimum of 4 participants and the competing clubs would need to cover all testing and cleaning costs, which York City estimate would run to £50k to £150k for each club. That's some lottery ticket to lay out for! I wonder if there are 4 serious contenders out of the 7 qualifiers. I'm sure York and Alty would definitely be up for it. Therefore, you would need at least 2 from Brackley, Boston, Gateshead and Chester to step forward (Chester have already reported they are in two minds). How committed would the players be, bearing in mind some would have already decided their futures lie elsewhere next season? Is it worth the gamble in view of the impending financial uncertainties. All very interesting. If the NLN play-offs don't proceed then presumably only King's Lynn will go up.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:12 am

Yep, this is it Maurice, this is what I allured to above, and if these games take place then no supporters will be present and money will be generated by selling the TV rights. York and A'ham do seem positive so to find 2 out of the other 4 does seem feasible.

Spennymoor would have been up for it but they will not get the opportunity because of the PPG situation. York will be under pressure if this takes place, things can go wrong as we all know.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:53 pm

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:00 am
Just looking at the current resolution sent to NL clubs as reported in a Non-League Paper article. If passed (which it probably will, otherwise the default is anulment ie no promotion to EFL), there will be play-offs in NLN and NLS "if legally possible". There would be no compulsion for qualifying clubs to take part but there would need to be a minimum of 4 participants and the competing clubs would need to cover all testing and cleaning costs, which York City estimate would run to £50k to £150k for each club. That's some lottery ticket to lay out for! I wonder if there are 4 serious contenders out of the 7 qualifiers. I'm sure York and Alty would definitely be up for it. Therefore, you would need at least 2 from Brackley, Boston, Gateshead and Chester to step forward (Chester have already reported they are in two minds). How committed would the players be, bearing in mind some would have already decided their futures lie elsewhere next season? Is it worth the gamble in view of the impending financial uncertainties. All very interesting. If the NLN play-offs don't proceed then presumably only King's Lynn will go up.
Boston have tweeted they will be voting for the playoffs. They link to their statement https://www.bostonunited.co.uk/news/clu ... 43388.html

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:33 am

Seems a little unclear where the others stand. Altrincham seem to have said they favour playing them... but the money is a significant caveat. I can’t see any real comment from Chester, Gateshead or Brackley yet?

Spending this money strikes me as ridiculous... also, surely the players are all on furlough? I reckon it’ll be a farce. I don’t think I’d want us gambling such a large amount of money on it.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:40 am

Agreed,money would be better spent on improving the squad,s for the new season.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:54 am

H1987 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:33 am
Seems a little unclear where the others stand. Altrincham seem to have said they favour playing them... but the money is a significant caveat. I can’t see any real comment from Chester, Gateshead or Brackley yet?

Spending this money strikes me as ridiculous... also, surely the players are all on furlough? I reckon it’ll be a farce. I don’t think I’d want us gambling such a large amount of money on it.
if you take players off furlough for play offs, can they be re-furloughed after play offs? If not, it becomes an expensive gamble

bga

Post by bga » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:30 am

spen666 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:54 am
H1987 wrote:

if you take players off furlough for play offs, can they be re-furloughed after play offs? If not, it becomes an expensive gamble
This is what I don't understand about furlough. DJ confirmed the other night that players only get paid from when their new contracts start. Presumably players whose contracts have expired at the end of the season (is this normally end of April/May?) are not therefore being paid at the moment surely? Part-time football is not a job where you get paid 52 weeks of the year.

karlo-cardiff

Post by karlo-cardiff » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:35 am

From my understanding you can be furloughed again but has to be a minimum of 3 weeks.. Im sure you can go back part time and furlough then tops up the pay to the 80% so nothing stopping paying players on a pay as you play basis id have thought... That's just a wild guess there though

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:39 am

bga wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:30 am
spen666 wrote:
H1987 wrote:

This is what I don't understand about furlough. DJ confirmed the other night that players only get paid from when their new contracts start. Presumably players whose contracts have expired at the end of the season (is this normally end of April/May?) are not therefore being paid at the moment surely? Part-time football is not a job where you get paid 52 weeks of the year.

At this level I think a lot of players are on 52 week contracts ( even part time players) but this varies by club .

With regard to new players, you can't sign someone ( ie offer them a job they didn't have at start of lockdown) and then furlough them. Hence new player contracts are saying salary will only be paid from "when season starts" (presumably meaning when training starts).

With regard to existing players, especially those whose contracts were expiring, I have no idea what situation is. If contract expired at end of April/ May, then if it wasn't renewed, the player is no longer contracted.

I can imagine there has been or will be lots of wrangling over eligibility for the play offs

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:41 am

Would be a bonus if Boston Utd went up through the play-offs as it is like King's Lynn, a helluva way to go for an away game. Equally, Brackley would not be a great loss, although quite a few Darlo exiles in the South do make it to that fixture.

Thought Chester were against play-offs due to the costs associated with playing behind closed doors. Gateshead probably would not want to risk their money, although with their crowds are probably the best accustomed for playing behind closed doors!

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:08 pm

jjljks wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:41 am
Would be a bonus if Boston Utd went up through the play-offs as it is like King's Lynn, a helluva way to go for an away game. Equally, Brackley would not be a great loss, although quite a few Darlo exiles in the South do make it to that fixture.

Thought Chester were against play-offs due to the costs associated with playing behind closed doors. Gateshead probably would not want to risk their money, although with their crowds are probably the best accustomed for playing behind closed doors!
Speak for yourself :thumbdown: . Kings Lynn and Brackley are my closest games as a Herts based exile. After that it's the likes of Kettering, Leamington and Gloucester.

Agree though. Losing King Lynn for Chorley for the club is a big bonus cost wise, especially as Armstrong was looking at overnight stays for that length of trip.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:57 pm

A further constraint I've just picked-up from Twitter is that the play-offs have to take place in both NLN and NLS. So if either NLN or NLS can't raise a minimum of 4 participating teams, then there will be no play-offs in both NLN and NLS.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:22 pm

spen666 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:39 am
At this level I think a lot of players are on 52 week contracts ( even part time players) but this varies by club.
How many is a lot. I suspect the vast majority are on 40 weeks contracts (which is why at this level you do see many players announced in May / June time).

Rather than 1st July which is the time when a 52 week contract for the "playing season" would end.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:14 pm

spen666 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:39 am
bga wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:30 am
spen666 wrote:
H1987 wrote:

At this level I think a lot of players are on 52 week contracts ( even part time players) but this varies by club .

With regard to new players, you can't sign someone ( ie offer them a job they didn't have at start of lockdown) and then furlough them. Hence new player contracts are saying salary will only be paid from "when season starts" (presumably meaning when training starts).

With regard to existing players, especially those whose contracts were expiring, I have no idea what situation is. If contract expired at end of April/ May, then if it wasn't renewed, the player is no longer contracted.

I can imagine there has been or will be lots of wrangling over eligibility for the play offs
Wont speculate on information that comes out of his own clubs official media channels, as 'he doesnt have the information'.

But happy to say a lot of players in this league are on 52 week contracts. Must have been privy to their contracts I guess Spen? :silent:

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:15 pm

jjljks wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:41 am

From a selfish point of view and being a bit of a ground hopper we don't want to lose Boston United yet as they are moving into a brand new stadium which I believe is called the quadrant.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:35 am

Was looking forward to a trip up to South Shields, but with no relegation from NLN & no promotion, the only way they could go up is if another club goes bust. Would not wish that on anyone.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:27 am

jjljks wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:35 am
Was looking forward to a trip up to South Shields, but with no relegation from NLN & no promotion, the only way they could go up is if another club goes bust. Would not wish that on anyone.

Apart from the Rugby club :shock:
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!