5 Subs allowed next season.

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:00 pm

If this applies in our league then there will no longer be an excuse for not having a goal keeper on the bench - one of my pet hates!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

comeondarlo

Re: 5 Subs allowed next season.

Post by comeondarlo » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:40 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:00 pm
If this applies in our league then there will no longer be an excuse for not having a goal keeper on the bench - one of my pet hates!
Same here! But I hope the league don’t go with it tbh

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:02 pm

Not for me it gives the so called bigger teams/bigger spenders more power from the bench..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:14 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:02 pm
Not for me it gives the so called bigger teams/bigger spenders more power from the bench..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Good point.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:27 pm

We need a keeper to cover before we put one on the bench, stocky are you listening, :thumbup:
Hopefully we can get a really good keeper in ,and a young un with prospects,,

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:38 pm

It's dependent on those who run individual competitions to agree it. You could potentially see 5 subs in the league, but only 3 in cup competitions, or vice versa. Managers will need to be careful. :roll:

ralphb

Post by ralphb » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:01 pm

Any body considered Matt Gould from Spenny as our Keeper, I believes he is available and lived local?

shawry

Post by shawry » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:11 pm

If its like the premier atm, its 3 opportunities to make a max 5 subs. Because of that, i think its a crap rule. It was ludicrous that Man U had to finish the game with 10 men, due to injury, despite 'only' having made 4 subs.

Stick to 3, its plenty.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:20 pm

I thought the 5 subs was more to do with lack of a pre season before return to competitive action.

Assume there will be some opportunity to prepare for the season so I am not sure 5 subs will stick.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:23 pm

lo36789 wrote:I thought the 5 subs was more to do with lack of a pre season before return to competitive action.

Assume there will be some opportunity to prepare for the season so I am not sure 5 subs will stick.
FIFA have today announced it will be in place for next season. Fair to say it has stuck...
Last edited by Darlogramps on Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:31 pm

shawry wrote:If its like the premier atm, its 3 opportunities to make a max 5 subs. Because of that, i think its a crap rule. It was ludicrous that Man U had to finish the game with 10 men, due to injury, despite 'only' having made 4 subs.

Stick to 3, its plenty.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Trouble is, they can’t win here.

Allow Man Utd to make the changes, and you’re giving the green light for more than three substitution intervals. With five for each side, that’s potentially 10 substitution breaks.

Then people would be branding that ludicrous (which it is).

As far as I’m aware, the Williams injury was the only incident where that’s happened so far. Just tough luck I’m afraid. You can’t cover for every eventuality.

I’d stick with three at this level. Plenty of clubs in the NLN wouldn’t be able to make five substitutions. The big Spendy’s , sorry, I mean spenders, will be the ones who benefit most so it’s not a level-playing field.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:44 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:23 pm
lo36789 wrote:I thought the 5 subs was more to do with lack of a pre season before return to competitive action.

FIFA have today announced it will be in place for next season. Fair to say it has stuck...
IFAB not FIFA.. And the word that counts is OPTIONAL !!!!!

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... -announces

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:02 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Excellent, so IFAB have decided to stick with it. Which was my point. Thank you for proving my point.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:09 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:02 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Excellent, so IFAB have decided to stick with it. Which was my point. Thank you for proving my point.
Yet again, you try to show your superiority, are shown to be incorrect with your detail, and bluster away to cover the fact you got your facts wrong.
Nothing changes with you does it?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:18 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
EDJOHNS wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Yet again, you try to show your superiority, are shown to be incorrect with your detail, and bluster away to cover the fact you got your facts wrong.
What errors have I made? Will hold my hands up on IFAB/FIFA (although FIFA makes up 50% of the IFAB board, making it impossible to pass any rule changes without FIFA’s backing, as any change needs at 75% majority - so technically I am right).

But beyond that, those who decide the laws have chosen to stick with the 5 sub rule. Which is what I said.

So beyond your usual tedious point scoring, I’m not sure why you’re getting so worked up. All I did was state a fact and you’ve gone off on one again.

Chillax dude, you’ll do yourself a coronary going on like this. Holding this level of a grudge against someone you’ve never met can’t be healthy at your age. Try walking, or meditation. Those work for me.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:42 pm

Seems to indicate it may still be temporary though right due to a prolonged impact of Coronavirus. That said I can see there is no logical reason for IFAB to remove to option longer term - given it is up to the competitions themselves to do what they want to.

As always with the PL that will be a case of asking Sky and BT what works best for them.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:29 pm

ralphb wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:01 pm
Any body considered Matt Gould from Spenny as our Keeper, I believes he is available and lived local?
his name was being bandied about a few weeks ago seems to have gone all quiet. I wonder if we have learned of a young Boro or Newcastle prospect being released at the end of the current season. I would love to have that lad back from Bolton Wanderers who signed for Newcastle United who we had on loan under Tommy wright.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:29 pm

It will just increase costs, as clubs will have to increase the size of their squads. The richer clubs, with good squads will only get stronger from this decision.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:12 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:18 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
EDJOHNS wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

What errors have I made? Will hold my hands up on IFAB/FIFA (although FIFA makes up 50% of the IFAB board, making it impossible to pass any rule changes without FIFA’s backing, as any change needs at 75% majority - so technically I am right).

But beyond that, those who decide the laws have chosen to stick with the 5 sub rule. Which is what I said.

So beyond your usual tedious point scoring, I’m not sure why you’re getting so worked up. All I did was state a fact and you’ve gone off on one again.

Chillax dude, you’ll do yourself a coronary going on like this. Holding this level of a grudge against someone you’ve never met can’t be healthy at your age. Try walking, or meditation. Those work for me.
1), you said FIFA ruled not "those who decide". ..... WRONG!

2,You did NOT state a fact,. You made an incorrect statement. How is it you pick every slight mistake with everyone else you disagree with to bits yet a statement from you that is incorrect should not be pulled for being inaccurate?

3, " Holding this level of a grudge against someone you’ve never met can’t be healthy at your age. Try walking, or meditation. Those work for me."

Unbelievable level of hypocrisy. If you do not see that you are the only member of the forum who fails to.

By the way, I did not start any sort of argument. I merely followed your oft taken route of pointing out someone's mistakes. In this case you picked the wrong association and also your comment suggested it was mandatory where as in fact leagues have the option to choose.
Perhaps rather than blather on about me chilling etc it may help you to reach my age if you actually learn to accept when you make a mistake and just say something like "Sorry, got it wrong" as most others do when shown to have made a mistake.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:37 am

Ah dear Edward, you’re being naughty now. I didn’t suggest it was mandatory. That’s an incorrect interpretation on your part. And I clarified myself on IFAB, which you’re now ignoring. Tsk, tsk. Very naughty.

Maybe I’m going to have to call your matron as this isn’t good for your blood pressure. You’re going to have to learn to let this obsession go.

Breathe in, breathe out. There’s a good old boyo.

No one other than you cares about this, so you’re just making yourself look silly now.

Perhaps you need a holiday. I hear Greece is nice this time of year.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:56 am

All the more opportunity for TV to stick in extra adverts and recoup some of the daft money they are lashing out on the broadcasting rights. Next it will be keeping the drinks breaks, all of which disrupts the flow of a game and can enable managers to change tactics or give information about other games.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:51 am

jjljks wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:56 am
All the more opportunity for TV to stick in extra adverts and recoup some of the daft money they are lashing out on the broadcasting rights. Next it will be keeping the drinks breaks, all of which disrupts the flow of a game and can enable managers to change tactics or give information about other games.
Funnily enough, I was speaking to a former senior referee last night and he said exactly what you said. The conversation I had left little doubt that everything done at the top end of football is about maximising revenues rather than for the good of the game.

5 subs means simply lots of players sitting on benches for bigger clubs that in the past would be playing lower down the pyramid. In the past teams needed 12 players for a match day , now they need 16. Not hard to do the calculation to see how many more players are being hoovered up by clubs. With 1 sub, it needed 1104 players to fulfill a programme of 46 games ( ie 92 clubs in premiership/EFL). Now it needs 1472. Thus meaning 368 more players are needed by the Premiership/ EFL clubs

Feethams 1965

Post by Feethams 1965 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:30 pm

In the olden days when no subs were allowed players either went off or hobbled on with their injuries. The concept of a substitute was a step forward but going to five? When I'm watching games I mostly enjoy seeing the same eleven play the same eleven for the 90 minutes. Now you get the best players being "rested" for the next game when their teams are so many goals to the good. Or brought on in the second half if the ordinary players have made a cock up of it. Having so many players appearing during a game, even at ridiculous times like a minute and a half to go to full time, spoils things a little. When you have the prospect of five sets of fresh legs appearing, it must also be difficult for the other side not to follow suit; it would change the nature, balance and dynamics of a game too much and create more a feeling of a training ground contest.
My rule would be two subs and a goalie on the bench.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:32 pm

Agree with your rule, Feethams1965 but can we add no drinks breaks unless temperature is over 18C pitchside?

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:03 am

jjljks wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:32 pm
Agree with your rule, Feethams1965 but can we add no drinks breaks unless temperature is over 18C pitchside?
That has become a total farce. Keepers have had bottles for years. I would make it higher than 18C which is not over hot and I would see no problem with water bottles being spread round the pitch for them to grab a drink if desperately needed. Lets fact it, they have used injury breaks to grab a bottle for years as well.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:50 am

The time wasting possibilities would increase with extra subs. Just at the end of the game when pressure is building up for the winning team to hang on - substitution, then another, then another....
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!