Enjoyable Read

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quaker85
Team Supported: Darlington

Enjoyable Read

Post by Quaker85 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:11 pm

don'tbuythesun

Re: Enjoyable Read

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:39 am

Interesting, thanks. I hadn't realised that the supporters had paid for the floodlights and Tin Shed roof, just like current times. Made me sad to see Feethams and the six year old stand being left behind. That was criminal.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:04 am

The article was very interesting, but made me realise there is now a generation of supporters already who never experienced Feethams and probably have little idea of what it means to those who went there.

Indeed there will be a growing number of fans who never got to The Arena either.

Its sad that so many never experienced either venue

I thought the main stand was sold off to another club, or was it just the seats

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:52 am

As i understand it the structure was put into storage, but couldn't be found when it was looked for, it was assumed that it was broken up and steel work sold off to pay for the said storage. That is what I understand happened.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:50 pm

spen666 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:04 am
The article was very interesting, but made me realise there is now a generation of supporters already who never experienced Feethams and probably have little idea of what it means to those who went there.

Indeed there will be a growing number of fans who never got to The Arena either.

Some people who experienced Feethams didn't find it a very attractive proposition. I think some fans looked at it with rose tinted glasses & in the end it was in a very poor state, apart from the newish East Stand.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:26 pm

On a similar note I wonder what became of the floodlights, if I recall rightly Workington bought them but were unable to erect them at their ground due to a dispute with the local council.

I also remember Harrogate Town apparently being interested in the East Stand years ago but they were also in dispute with the local council! Last I heard of it was in a yard in Middlesbrough.
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:50 pm

Some people who experienced Feethams didn't find it a very attractive proposition. I think some fans looked at it with rose tinted glasses & in the end it was in a very poor state, apart from the newish East Stand.
It didn't look half as run down as the Arena does these days! And if I was given a choice between Blackwell Meadows and Feethams I know which one I'd pick.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:46 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
spen666 wrote:

I've never met anyone who didn't like Feethams, it had a lot of character with four distinct sides and was in a great position. It did need a bit of a spruce up though.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:56 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:46 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
spen666 wrote:

I've never met anyone who didn't like Feethams, it had a lot of character with four distinct sides and was in a great position. It did need a bit of a spruce up though.
I loved Feethams, it had a unique character about it. As said above, it had 4 distinct sides. The walk around the cricket pitch was unique in League Football. The changing ends at half time again was possibly the last league ground to allow it.

Its sad that many fans both home and away have never experienced it.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:43 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
spen666 wrote:

Talking of 'rose tinted specs', the relationship between DFC and its Cricket Club landlord wasn't always plain sailing. I remember reports of the Cricket Club Chairman Brian Johnson barring the Football Club entry to Feethams when it tried to open up the facilities in the new stand for evening non-football events in order to raise additional funds for DFC.

Feethams 1965

Post by Feethams 1965 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:27 pm

Its a pity we couldn't buy out the cricket club and put our new home in to there.
I've heard the cricket club just use it in summer, and even then only when it's not raining.
We could even call it Feethams!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:14 pm

onewayup wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:52 am
As i understand it the structure was put into storage, but couldn't be found when it was looked for, it was assumed that it was broken up and steel work sold off to pay for the said storage. That is what I understand happened.
Think there may be some confusion with a stand bought second hand when the race course at Teesside closed. It was never erected at Feethams and "disappeared" whilst in storage.

Darlo_lad

Post by Darlo_lad » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:20 pm

A good read. Amazing detail for a fan of another club