Maguire & Langstaff Released

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

QUAKERMAN2
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Maguire & Langstaff Released

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:40 pm

LoidLucan wrote:It's nailed on that he will have been offered more money elsewhere but the AA connection and how he has sold the club to Maguire, the way we play, the players we have from his Blyth days and that he clearly wanted to play part-time again which suits him have all swung it in our favour.

When you consider we already have a striker who would most probably have hit 20 goals if last season had finished, this signing points to an exciting time ahead with goals written all over it. I could quite easily see him getting back to his previous goalscoring form and we should be posing all sorts of problems for our rivals.
Spot on Lucan, another great signing by AA and our squad is now shaping up really well and possibly another signing to come in addition to a keeper.Interest from other North East non league clubs suggests Gateshead and The Pride of England and looks like a footballing decision by Dan to sign for us over the ££££££’s that we’re probably offered to him.Great he wants to play for AA again and get back to playing regularly and scoring goals.Another piece of the jigsaw done, roll on October, this looks like an exciting attacking side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:51 pm

A cracking line up upfront, could be a goal fest coming season.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:54 pm

Tremendous signing, the team is almost complete, feeling really positive about this season. Just hope we get to see them play in October.
Welcome to the Dan Maguire . :thumbup:
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:56 pm

Another good signing and our attacking options look pretty frightening for this league. Campbell, Maguire, Charman, Rivers, Holmes and Donawa. Lots of different options in there to play 2 up top, 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1.

Hopefully we can get Jack Lambert in to replace Holness and a good loanee keeper. If we can get those deals done feeling very confident in our ability to challenge the top 7. Will hopefully mean plenty of attacking play and goals too, tempt some neutrals down to watch the Darlo. Whenever the season actually starts, and we're allowed to go and watch.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:58 pm

With him being a plumber, I reckon the Goals On Tap headlines are in the pipeline :D

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:06 pm

A few of Dans goals from his time a Blyth , shows a bit of his all round game as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WfwewJp1Os
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:39 pm

What a great signing! If we got Maguire last season, not sure we'd have got Campbell as well. This way we've got both of them! Our team is looking very tasty for next season!

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:04 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:30 pm
Darlo_CR wrote:It’s sounding like we’re closing in on Maguire, announcement likely to be next week along with another player.
Any gut feeling on the other player CR, no news on Adam Wrightson having signed for anyone plus the obvious one in Langstaff.

It would be a pure guess but I'd say someone for the attacking midfield slot, I don't think it'll be the GK just yet.

Delighted that the Maguire transfer got across the line. Spenny, Shields, Gateshead, Guiseley and I believe Farsley made healthy offers.

Campbell, Maguire and Donawa is some attacking force!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:14 pm

Maguire probably had a word with Adam "Splinters In His Arse" Boyes when Spenny waved a huge package at him again. If you're a striker and not called Taylor then being at Spendymore can seriously damage your career.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:46 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:04 pm
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Darlo_CR wrote:It’s sounding like we’re closing in on Maguire, announcement likely to be next week along with another player.
Any gut feeling on the other player CR, no news on Adam Wrightson having signed for anyone plus the obvious one in Langstaff.

It would be a pure guess but I'd say someone for the attacking midfield slot, I don't think it'll be the GK just yet.

Delighted that the Maguire transfer got across the line. Spenny, Shields, Gateshead, Guiseley and I believe Farsley made healthy offers.

And Luke Charman :) My worry is still CB as the new lad at 36 will be lucky to play a full season without injuries. Need a big ugly bar steward to play alongside him as first choice.

Ps AA is such a brilliant manager in the transfer market.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:53 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:46 pm
Darlo_CR wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

And Luke Charman :) My worry is still CB as the new lad at 36 will be lucky to play a full season without injuries. Need a big ugly bar steward to play alongside him as first choice.

With Storey, Laing, and Reid as an emergency I think CB is pretty much covered. I’d be surprised if anyone else arrives for that position.

Has anyone any news on Holness, will he return?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:59 pm

I'm sure Hunt will be the mainstay experienced rock at the heart of the defence with Laing and Storey competing to play alongside him and the latter 2 lining up should Hunt pick up injuries. Jordan Watson can also do a job there if needed.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:08 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Darlo_CR wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

Most players are lucky to play a full season without injuries. The fact he’s 36 has nothing to do with that. Hunt is the big ugly bar steward signing.

Hunt has just played fairly regularly in League 2 for a promotion-winning Crewe. Don’t see why people are worried about him now.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:16 pm

MB86DFC wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:53 pm
MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Darlo_CR wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

With Storey, Laing, and Reid as an emergency I think CB is pretty much covered. I’d be surprised if anyone else arrives for that position.

There's still an offer on the table for him however his new agent has got him some trials over pre season.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:21 pm

The positions covered now are as far as I can see:

GK - to come

RB
Atkinson
Hedley
Hunt (if needed)

LB
Liddle
Watson

CB
Hunt
Storey
Laing
Reid (if needed)
Watson (if needed)
Atkinson (if needed)

CM
Hatfield
Wheatley
Hedley
Reid

Attacking Mids
Donawa
Rivers
Campbell
Holmes
Reid

Strikers
Campbell
Maguire
Charman

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:24 pm

So other than a goalkeeper we need a mobile attacking midfielder, although and I suspect I’m in the minority here I’m a bit worried about cover for central defence. However, it’s much easier to get a central defender on loan then it is a forward.

The other issue for me and its the same as last year is height in the team, although with AAs style of play, it’s less than an issue as I thought it might be.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:26 pm

Compare the above squad and its options with the one assembled by TW for the start of the 2018-19 season:

Jonny Maddison
Matthew Bancroft
Luke Trotman
Ben O’Hanlon
Jonny Burn
Jack Vaulks
Dom Collins
Terry Galbraith
Liam Hughes
Joe Wheatley
Mitchell Glover
David Syers
Jordan Nicholson
Alex Henshall
Stephen Thompson
Harvey Saunders
Simon Ainge
Reece Styche

What a difference in strength, depth and options right across the park. Don't know what the respective budgets were.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:49 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:24 pm
So other than a goalkeeper we need a mobile attacking midfielder, although and I suspect I’m in the minority here I’m a bit worried about cover for central defence. However, it’s much easier to get a central defender on loan then it is a forward.

The other issue for me and its the same as last year is height in the team, although with AAs style of play, it’s less than an issue as I thought it might be.
We have Hunt, Storey & Laing for centre-halves.

Atkinson, Reid & Watson can also fill in there if needed.

Regarding height, it’s a valid point, but with a taller goalkeeper (Elliott was poor aerially), Hunt, Storey, Reid, Donawa & Charman in the team then it should be less of an issue.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:35 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:26 pm
Compare the above squad and its options with the one assembled by TW for the start of the 2018-19 season:

Jonny Maddison
Matthew Bancroft
Luke Trotman
Ben O’Hanlon
Jonny Burn
Jack Vaulks
Dom Collins
Terry Galbraith
Liam Hughes
Joe Wheatley
Mitchell Glover
David Syers
Jordan Nicholson
Alex Henshall
Stephen Thompson
Harvey Saunders
Simon Ainge
Reece Styche

What a difference in strength, depth and options right across the park. Don't know what the respective budgets were.
Actually that squad does not look too bad to me.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:45 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:35 pm
LoidLucan wrote:

Jonny Maddison
Matthew Bancroft
Luke Trotman
Ben O’Hanlon
Jonny Burn
Jack Vaulks
Dom Collins
Terry Galbraith
Liam Hughes
Joe Wheatley
Mitchell Glover
David Syers
Jordan Nicholson
Alex Henshall
Stephen Thompson
Harvey Saunders
Simon Ainge
Reece Styche

That squad gives me nightmares.

Half of them were over-weight or had shocking attitudes.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:12 pm

Be honest did you think that at the time or are you wise with the benefit of hindsight?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:17 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:35 pm
LoidLucan wrote:

Jonny Maddison
Matthew Bancroft
Luke Trotman
Ben O’Hanlon
Jonny Burn
Jack Vaulks
Dom Collins
Terry Galbraith
Liam Hughes
Joe Wheatley
Mitchell Glover
David Syers
Jordan Nicholson
Alex Henshall
Stephen Thompson
Harvey Saunders
Simon Ainge
Reece Styche

Apart from the fact that Maddison was terribly accident prone, O'Hanlon wanted to go home, Burn was terrible and had attitude problems, Vaulks wasn't up to this level, Collins was never fit and seemingly had attitude, Hughes was unfit, overweight, had issues and couldn't play in the role he was signed for, Glover was not the prodigy TW said he was, Henshall was an injury-prone disaster and Ainge couldn't play as the striker he was signed to be. I don't think there was much in the way of due diligence going on.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:49 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:12 pm
Be honest did you think that at the time or are you wise with the benefit of hindsight?
First pre-season friendly the squad looked shockingly un-fit; I couldn’t believe Hughes & Ainge. Even Styche & Wheatley had put on a few pounds.

We all knew how useless Collins & Caton were from the season before.

The rest just unravelled in to a complete mess as the season went on. O’Hanlon downed tools when he didn’t get his move to Kiddy, Glover had an ego, Henshall didn’t register a goal or assist in 20+ matches & Maddison kept dropping the ball either in to his own net or in-front of centre-forwards.

Only loanees (Turner, Jackson, Smith & Nelson) saved the day.

I’m pleased we’ve drawn a line under that shambles. We were very lucky we didn’t get relegated.

MCFCDarlo3

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:55 pm

MB86DFC wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:53 pm
MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Darlo_CR wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

I just dont rate Laing, really hope he proves me wrong.

MCFCDarlo3

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:00 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:08 pm
MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Darlo_CR wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

Most players are lucky to play a full season without injuries. The fact he’s 36 has nothing to do with that. Hunt is the big ugly bar steward signing.

Hunt has just played fairly regularly in League 2 for a promotion-winning Crewe. Don’t see why people are worried about him now.
As you get older you do get more injuries. Hope youre right re Hunt being what we need, not seen him play for years.

Darlogramps

Maguire & Langstaff Released

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:13 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:08 pm
MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Darlo_CR wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

As you get older you do get more injuries. Hope youre right re Hunt being what we need, not seen him play for years.
Do you? I don’t think that’s right.

Picking up injuries comes down to more than just age. It’s more to do with conditioning, looking after yourself, doing the right things in preparation.

If you can look after yourself properly, then you’re less likely to pick up injuries. More than happy to be corrected by any physiotherapists out there.

Anyhow, Hunt played in about 2/3s of Crewe’s games last season. Obviously things change but there’s nothing to suggest he won’t be able to cope at this level.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:44 am

The other thing with Hunt his early football education was under Sam Allardyce at Bolton put simply he will absolutely know how to look after his body to keep going.

Pretty sure that is what Allardyce's backroom staff specialised in. I doubt its particularly secrative anymore but he will have been doing it from day dot.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:39 am

You don't necessarily get more injuries when you are older, it's just the recovery time that gets longer after an injury.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:58 am

James Curtis is 38, pretty much an ever-present at Spendy and looking forward to doing the same next season. From what Hunt said he feels he's still got a lot in the tank and he proved last season that is so.

MCFCDarlo3

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:15 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:39 am
You don't necessarily get more injuries when you are older, it's just the recovery time that gets longer after an injury.
Its both imo, laws of nature. :D

Heres hoping Hunt stays fit as hes vital to our season.