Preseason

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

PierremontQuaker03
Team Supported: Darlington

Preseason

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:49 pm

Any idea when it starts for us and what games we have arranged?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

joejaques

Re: Preseason

Post by joejaques » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:57 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:49 pm
Any idea when it starts for us and what games we have arranged?

The second Tuesday in Race Week? :roll:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:48 pm

Surely pre-season will be starting within a week. Does anybody know of any friendlies that might be arranged, not that fans will be able to attend atm?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:44 pm

Pre-season training starts Monday

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:46 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:44 pm
Great thanks - I had just noticed that some of the teams in our league had started to return to training.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:26 am

Am assuming no high profile trips to the Netherlands this year😟😷

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:41 pm

Just a small point but I thought our normal training times were Tuesday and Thursday evenings and possibly Saturdays in pre season.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:16 am

22nd according to weekly update on official site.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:18 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Great thanks - I had just noticed that some of the teams in our league had started to return to training.
Plenty have had friendlies. Let’s hope they’ve come back too early

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:41 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:18 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:

Don’t panic Captain Mainwaring season doesn’t start until 3rd of October and it is only the 18th of August.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:52 pm

Old Git wrote:
D_F_C wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:18 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:

Don’t panic Captain Mainwaring season doesn’t start until 3rd of October and it is only the 18th of August.
Gateshead had a game tonight against Carlisle

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:24 pm

Southport have played about 6 friendlies already - there is still nearly 7 weeks to go!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:32 pm

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:16 am
22nd according to weekly update on official site.
Managed to find this buried under article after article.

Seriously, what is it with our official site? Had to scroll down 7 pinned articles & then another 10 published articles just to find some information published 48 hours ago.

Just my opinion, but it’s littered with pointless articles, quiz questions, stadium pictures & book adaptations. People want to find relevant, important information & quickly. The fairly significant Arena article has been buried under 25 articles, 25 in less than a week!

It also dilutes any articles promoting our commercial sponsors. What’s the point when it’ll get hidden behind about a dozen articles on an old football kit or a football stadium nobody has ever heard of?

dfclincolnshire

Post by dfclincolnshire » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:36 am

Agree the website is shocking, and it has been for a while, potential sponsors investors must think the club is Operated by historians

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:40 am

dfclincolnshire wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:36 am
Agree the website is shocking, and it has been for a while, potential sponsors investors must think the club is Operated by historians
Or Ray Simpson...

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:06 am

dfclincolnshire wrote:
A bit unfair. The club is trying hard to keep fans updated and with very little new information over the past few months they have done their best to engage with fans. Remember we do not have full time paid people behind the scenes. Sometimes you need to bear that in mind before criticising and if you think that you could do a better job why not get in touch with the club and offer your services.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:23 am

Social marketing / visibility strategies promote a little and then often approach. We seem to pretty consistently do 3 posts of new content every day by the looks of it and expect that is deliberate.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:12 am

dfclincolnshire wrote:
Compared to most sites ours is excellent, I would like to see more about the owners DFCSG as there’s nothing on there and the actual DFCSG site doesn’t seem to have changed since last year.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:25 am

Old Git wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:06 am
dfclincolnshire wrote:
A bit unfair. The club is trying hard to keep fans updated and with very little new information over the past few months they have done their best to engage with fans. Remember we do not have full time paid people behind the scenes. Sometimes you need to bear that in mind before criticising and if you think that you could do a better job why not get in touch with the club and offer your services.
It’s been like that for a while, even before Covid-19.

I find the website unreadable & rely on here & social media for information, because then I get information that is straight to the point.

I hate the, “volunteer if you think you can do better argument”. The criticism is fairly constructive & the club shouldn’t be immune from any form of constructive criticism because some are volunteers.

How do you move forward if you never reflect on what can be done better?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:27 am

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:23 am
Social marketing / visibility strategies promote a little and then often approach. We seem to pretty consistently do 3 posts of new content every day by the looks of it and expect that is deliberate.
Of course it’s deliberate.

But it’s also poor.

Important & informative articles, along with commercial promotions, are being lost in a sea of pointless shirt pictures & book adaptations.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:12 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:25 am
Old Git wrote:
dfclincolnshire wrote:

I find the website unreadable & rely on here & social media for information, because then I get information that is straight to the point.

I hate the, “volunteer if you think you can do better argument”. The criticism is fairly constructive & the club shouldn’t be immune from any form of constructive criticism because some are volunteers.

You must lead a sad life perhaps you should try adult literacy classes if you find the website unreadable.

Darlogramps

Preseason

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:17 am

Old Git wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
Old Git wrote:
dfclincolnshire wrote:

You must lead a sad life perhaps you try adult literacy classes if you find the website unreadable.
No need for that. Also, perhaps try learning how to use full stops if you’re going to make quips about literacy classes.

The criticism is fairly constructive and justified. It’s not an attack on the club or people running the website, just a comment on how things could be improved.

The website is predominantly for fans to look and gain information. I do find it difficult to find things I’m looking for on there. It could be cleaned up to make things easier to find.

We need to get beyond this idea that any criticism of the club is somehow an unjustifiable heresy. Things don’t improve without feedback.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:02 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:27 am
Of course it’s deliberate.
The website is really just a place to host information that is promoted on social channels for impact. If you get your information from social media then it has served the purpose intended.

The pure intent is to drive regular traffic to the website where someone comes across an article pushed to them that is of interest. For those who only use the website the motivation is there to check it daily and catch up on the latest articles.

The fact that you have said you rely on social media for information actually shows that it is working because that is what is wanted and intended. So your preference is the preference desired.

You may say it's poor but the behaviour change has been effective so outcome has been achieved.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:33 am

When I go on to the website I want to see informative content.

When someone makes reference to an article on to the website, I want to be able to find it.

When the club promotes a sponsor, I don’t expect it to be buried under pointless articles.

I rely on social media because the website is poor. I don’t check the website because it’s full of pointless articles, so I rely on other channels to get information. I really don’t think that is the intention at all. The club is losing clicks via the website because it’s clogged up, nor can I imagine sponsors being happy at their news being diluted because of Ray’s anecdotes.

This all “outcome has been achieved” is a load of rubbish. Lo going off on a tangent & load of nonsense shocker.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:38 am

If it wasn't working how it was meant it would be changed. It has been a news reel style like it is for at least 2 years now.

Guess point is poor is quite a subjective view. It isnt poor from perspective of the club if it is working how they want.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:32 pm

e4sby wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:40 am
dfclincolnshire wrote:
Or Ray Simpson...
:clap:

The website is massively outdated for me and has been for years, it's just littered with stuff that just isn't necessary in my opinion.

We had that 80's 'week' that went on for a month, same with the 90's. I appreciate some people may like seeing this, so why not make a separate tab on the website and post the items in there where it can be found at anytime instead of clogging up the feed with the same thing.

Plenty have shown interest before to get involved with the website and have been shot down.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:38 pm

Gramps with your extensive knowledge and skill set perhaps you should offer your services to the DFCSG Board. I am sure they would be grateful to have your expertise to call on being such an authority on a wide range of issues.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:50 pm

Old Git wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:38 pm
Gramps with your extensive knowledge and skill set perhaps you should offer your services to the DFCSG Board. I am sure they would be grateful to have your expertise to call on being such an authority on a wide range of issues.
:o :wtf: :silent:

Darlogramps

Preseason

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:20 pm

Old Git wrote:Gramps with your extensive knowledge and skill set perhaps you should offer your services to the DFCSG Board. I am sure they would be grateful to have your expertise to call on being such an authority on a wide range of issues.
Again with the personal comments - perhaps you woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

I’ve not claimed to be a website expert, but I am someone who uses the website from time-to-time. As a Darlington fan who goes on the website, you would think I’m the type of person the club would want the website to appeal to.

It does not because it’s cluttered and difficult find relevant information. This is a point that has been made before by multiple fans.

Now if you want to go down the route of not commenting on anything you’re not an expert on, be my guest. Although by that logic, you’d comment on very little.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:11 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:20 pm
Old Git wrote:Gramps with your extensive knowledge and skill set perhaps you should offer your services to the DFCSG Board. I am sure they would be grateful to have your expertise to call on being such an authority on a wide range of issues.
Again with the personal comments - perhaps you woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

I’ve not claimed to be a website expert, but I am someone who uses the website from time-to-time. As a Darlington fan who goes on the website, you would think I’m the type of person the club would want the website to appeal to.

It does not because it’s cluttered and difficult find relevant information. This is a point that has been made before by multiple fans.

Now if you want to go down the route of not commenting on anything you’re not an expert on, be my guest. Although by that logic, you’d comment on very little.
I’ve had a lifetime of experience dealing with bullshiters and so I feel confident of commenting on your opinions.