RESIGNATION OF DRFC CHAIRMAN

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by poppyfield » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:06 pm

It will interesting to see how our relationship with the rugby club evolves with a new chairman in place.

BY JESS CHEESMAN
11 HOURS AGO

Resignation of DRFC Chairman
11th September 2020

Announcement - Retirement of Chairman
Dear Member,

On Friday the 11th of September 2020 at the Annual General Meeting of Darlington Rugby Football Club I announced that I was retiring as Chairman. This was a role that I was privileged the serve on behalf of our membership since 2010.

In 2013 DRFC celebrated reaching the significant landmark of 150 years.

Over the last ten years our club has not only increased the number of players of rugby but has also introduced and now hosts several community sports; Darlington Young Bulls (Football) Darlington Steam (American Football) and Darlington Archery Club.

The most significant was the member’s decision to assist Darlington FC to return to playing at a ground in their hometown of Darlington at Blackwell Meadows.

I wish to convey my sincere appreciation to my fellow Directors over those years who have assisted in Managing DRFC and Blackwell Meadows.
Those same sentiments for the assistance given by representatives of Darlington Borough Council, the RFU & DCRFU, Darlington Building Society, the Football Stadia Improvement Foundation and Darlington FC.

However, I am forever grateful to the volunteers, players, coaches, parents/ guardians, members and supporters for their unselfish contributions to Darlington RFC.

Yours sincerely

Michael Wilkinson
Former Chairman DRFC.

PDF
Chairman Announcement
221.1KB
DOWNLOAD
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Old Git

Re: RESIGNATION OF DRFC CHAIRMAN

Post by Old Git » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:52 pm

Never been a fan of Mr Wilkinson but you cannot deny he made a good deal for DRFC when he negotiated the deal with us. He did his job and got an agreement that seems heavily loaded in their favour as he knew we were desperate. Hope his replacement is someone we can get on with.
The timing is interesting. Of course he may just feel it is right for him but it will be challenging for his successor at this time. We will watch developments with interest.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:59 am

Old Git wrote:Never been a fan of Mr Wilkinson but you cannot deny he made a good deal for DRFC when he negotiated the deal with us. He did his job and got an agreement that seems heavily loaded in their favour as he knew we were desperate. Hope his replacement is someone we can get on with.
The timing is interesting. Of course he may just feel it is right for him but it will be challenging for his successor at this time. We will watch developments with interest.
And u know things are weighted heavily in there favour how??? Your just guessing I'd say... Who cares as long as our board are happy then that's good enough lets not snipe and work together...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:45 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:59 am
Old Git wrote:Never been a fan of Mr Wilkinson but you cannot deny he made a good deal for DRFC when he negotiated the deal with us. He did his job and got an agreement that seems heavily loaded in their favour as he knew we were desperate. Hope his replacement is someone we can get on with.
And u know things are weighted heavily in there favour how??? Your just guessing I'd say... Who cares as long as our board are happy then that's good enough lets not snipe and work together...

I know because David Johnston has spoken several times about wishing he could renegotiate the agreement. He is not particularly happy with it because it is not generating as much revenue as it should for us. Why do you think he was interested in the Sporting Village? As for working together don’t be so gullible we are tolerated but have never been seen as partners.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:24 am

Old Git wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:52 pm
Never been a fan of Mr Wilkinson but you cannot deny he made a good deal for DRFC when he negotiated the deal with us. He did his job and got an agreement that seems heavily loaded in their favour as he knew we were desperate. Hope his replacement is someone we can get on with.
"The timing is interesting"? Most officials stand down or retire at an AGM it's when they take this course of action during the Year surely that the timing is interesting?🤔

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:36 am

I think you know very well what I meant. It is perhaps a little surprising that in these unusual and testing times Mr Wilkinson should choose to handover the position of chairman when his experience is most needed. That is all I was referring to. It is of course entirely his decision to make but it will be challenging for his successor.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:39 am

Old Git wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:45 am
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

I know because David Johnston has spoken several times about wishing he could renegotiate the agreement. He is not particularly happy with it because it is not generating as much revenue as it should for us. Why do you think he was interested in the Sporting Village? As for working together don’t be so gullible we are tolerated but have never been seen as partners.
I agree with you Old Git. With your first and second post.

To repeat what you said, at the time we were desperate to move back to Darlo, he knew this, and got a good deal for HIS CLUB. But this was before D.J. (Gray's best signing :thumbup: ) took over.

Time moves on and things are different now, and yes.... developments will be watched with interest.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:57 am

Old Git wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

Sorry must of missed that he caragotigally said that they are screwing us over regarding terms and revenue, I thought he was more than happy with the arrangement, Yes probably wanted more most chairman/CEO's do

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:08 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:57 am

Sorry must of missed that he caragotigally said that they are screwing us over regarding terms and revenue, I thought he was more than happy with the arrangement, Yes probably wanted more most chairman/CEO's do

Who said they were screwing us over? All that has been said the agreement was heavily loaded in their favour and we have never been regarded as partners, which is how the whole thing should have been. Imagine how better it would have been for the two clubs to work together properly to make a big success of the venture to the major benefit of both clubs.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:57 am

loan_star wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:57 am

Who said they were screwing us over? All that has been said the agreement was heavily loaded in their favour and we have never been regarded as partners, which is how the whole thing should have been. Imagine how better it would have been for the two clubs to work together properly to make a big success of the venture to the major benefit of both clubs.
I don't believe for one minute that we have a bad deal and of course it going to be a bit in their favour I bet we would of done the same in there shoes.. We are grateful for the help don't forget the running costs maintenance etc all got to be taken into account.. I just hate it when people think cos we are darlo we should be given the world

bga

Post by bga » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:13 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:36 am
I think you know very well what I meant. It is perhaps a little surprising that in these unusual and testing times Mr Wilkinson should choose to handover the position of chairman when his experience is most needed. That is all I was referring to. It is of course entirely his decision to make but it will be challenging for his successor.
I did my comment was slightly tongue in cheek. We all know how thankless volunteer roles can be sometimes perhaps he deserves a rest after so many years in charge.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:43 pm

caragotigally-its a great new word!!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:06 pm

I can’t honestly see us returning to BM, not with us signing a 2-year licence at the Arena which may or may not coincide with a break clause with DRFC (pure speculation on my part).

It was clear from Mick Birch’s interview that he is very enthusiastic to work with the football club, is willing to allow the football club to operate with some of the facilities at the Arena and has known DJ for a while.

If we can satisfy the Football Foundation re. terms of the grant funding by operating the Academy at BM then, to me, it’s a no brainer to remain at the Arena (Covid-19 or no Covid-19).

It’s clear to me that there is little scope to move forward at BM unless something dramatically changes there.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:11 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:06 pm
I can’t honestly see us returning to BM, not with us signing a 2-year licence at the Arena which may or may not coincide with a break clause with DRFC (pure speculation on my part).

It was clear from Mick Birch’s interview that he is very enthusiastic to work with the football club, is willing to allow the football club to operate with some of the facilities at the Arena and has known DJ for a while.

If we can satisfy the Football Foundation re. terms of the grant funding by operating the Academy at BM then, to me, it’s a no brainer to remain at the Arena (Covid-19 or no Covid-19).

It’s clear to me that there is little scope to move forward at BM unless something dramatically changes there.
That's a topic for another day. Let's all try to stay alive first!
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

bga

Post by bga » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:16 pm

poppyfield wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:06 pm
It will interesting to see how our relationship with the rugby club evolves with a new chairman in place.

BY JESS CHEESMAN
11 HOURS AGO

Resignation of DRFC Chairman
11th September 2020

Announcement - Retirement of Chairman
Dear Member,

On Friday the 11th of September 2020 at the Annual General Meeting of Darlington Rugby Football Club I announced that I was retiring as Chairman. This was a role that I was privileged the serve on behalf of our membership since 2010.

In 2013 DRFC celebrated reaching the significant landmark of 150 years.

Over the last ten years our club has not only increased the number of players of rugby but has also introduced and now hosts several community sports; Darlington Young Bulls (Football) Darlington Steam (American Football) and Darlington Archery Club.

The most significant was the member’s decision to assist Darlington FC to return to playing at a ground in their hometown of Darlington at Blackwell Meadows.

I wish to convey my sincere appreciation to my fellow Directors over those years who have assisted in Managing DRFC and Blackwell Meadows.
Those same sentiments for the assistance given by representatives of Darlington Borough Council, the RFU & DCRFU, Darlington Building Society, the Football Stadia Improvement Foundation and Darlington FC.

However, I am forever grateful to the volunteers, players, coaches, parents/ guardians, members and supporters for their unselfish contributions to Darlington RFC.

Yours sincerely

Michael Wilkinson
Former Chairman DRFC.

PDF
Chairman Announcement
221.1KB
DOWNLOAD
Poppyfield misleading title really as he has RETIRED not resigned, the two are worlds apart really.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:10 pm

I just copied the post .
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:18 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:11 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:

We will stay alive.

It would be naive & short-termism to not actually see this as an opportunity to grow as a club and come out stronger in the long-term.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:03 pm

poppyfield wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:10 pm
I just copied the post .
My apologies then.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:50 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:18 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:11 pm
We will stay alive.
I read this as being meant quite literally...ie lets hope that collectively we personally get through the global health catastrophe alive first

I guess the truth / reality is that some won't.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:18 pm

It was seriously meant. We live in dangerous times, We all need to be careful, anyone who underestimates this virus is being foolish.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:42 pm

I thought you were talking about the health of the club.

I’m not underestimating this global pandemic at all.

onewayup

Virus not going anywhere soon.

Post by onewayup » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:51 am

It is of great importance that everyone young and old follow the advice given to keep themselves safe and healthy and to stop others being infected, this is claiming far to many lifes,
Everyone has got to be vigilant,face covering if at all possible I would say latex gloves when touching anything, and hand washing even with latex gloves on,as the virus can live for three days. On surfaces. Stay safe do the right things and we will get through these challenging times.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:34 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:18 pm
It was seriously meant. We live in dangerous times, We all need to be careful, anyone who underestimates this virus is being foolish.
There are a lot of foolish people out there, and worse even more selfish ones.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:54 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:34 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
I think the genuine real worry is that the season will start and then be suspended yet again. I really think we maybe should have waited until a vaccine was found a second shutdown could have a more severe impact on our football clubs than the first and that's the last thing anybody wants.Oh for a return to the old normal.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:50 pm

Mister e wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:54 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:34 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
I think the genuine real worry is that the season will start and then be suspended yet again. I really think we maybe should have waited until a vaccine was found a second shutdown could have a more severe impact on our football clubs than the first and that's the last thing anybody wants.Oh for a return to the old normal.
I understand your senti sentiment re vaccine, but its been 40 years and still we don't have one for HIV.

I am not sure waiting for a vaccine is sensible. We need to learn how to manage the risk and control its spread to get back to as near a normal life as possible

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:57 am

spen666 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:50 pm
I understand your senti sentiment re vaccine, but its been 40 years and still we don't have one for HIV.
Whilst I understand your sentiment, I am not sure if they are comparable given the way they transmit.

For people to "live with" HIV (or take steps to avoid) hardly requires the same fundamental change in behaviour which cuts across work, education, home and social life.

I don't really know what the answer is, but from what I have seen so far schools, football and many other businesses are simply not sustainable based on current approach taken.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:01 am

Quite right the only way at the moment is to manage the VIRUS the best we all can, for now life as we knew it has gone, everyone now knows what is needed to stay safe, managing the situation until hopefully a vaccine is found is really what people have to do. Face covering, distancing, handwashing, all a must to stay as safe as possible for everyone's sake.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:25 am

onewayup wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:01 am
Quite right the only way at the moment is to manage the VIRUS the best we all can, for now life as we knew it has gone, everyone now knows what is needed to stay safe, managing the situation until hopefully a vaccine is found is really what people have to do. Face covering, distancing, handwashing, all a must to stay as safe as possible for everyone's sake.

I'm not sure if everyone does know...if they do, then some are deliberately choosing to ignore those requirements, whether it be Raves, crowded pubs, mass get togethers, refusals to wear masks etc.

Sadly those people with their short term self centred and selfish actions are going to prolong the restrictions and the harm to the wider economy and to our football clubs. If there are further restrictions or local/national lockdowns, then I fear for the survival of lots of businesses and in particular football clubs, expecially those paying wages to players

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:27 am

Darlofan97 wrote:

DJ in his Look North interview explicitly said he doesn't think the Arena is suitable long term either (hearteningly).

My heart isn't set on Blackwell, I just want us to play somewhere appropriately sized, not a soulless, rust bucket.