SEASON POSTPONED?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

SEASON POSTPONED?

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:33 am

Looks like no fans allowed, and our league says with no fans, no games!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Re: SEASON POSTPONED?

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:56 am

I think saying the season is postponed is a bit dramatic, I do realise that you put a question mark in the subject matter. Obviously things are changing very quickly & it's impossible to predict what'll happen in a week or two, let alone a month or two. I do think that things will only improve slowly & a lot of clubs will go out of business. But our club will survive thanks to our brilliant fans, that I know will help out, if & when our help is needed.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:03 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:33 am

Its depressing isn't it?

It is also worrying for clubs in general and their ability to survive.

What is even worse is having to spend Saturday's with out an excuse to get away from the missus

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:09 am

spen666 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:03 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Its depressing isn't it?

What is even worse is having to spend Saturday's with out an excuse to get away from the missus
I should imagine that's a two way street.

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:13 am

Wonder what happens to the FA Cup game? Could have contract implications if that game goes ahead but then no league games following. Would you have to bring players back and start paying them but then no games to play after.

Darlogramps

SEASON POSTPONED?

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:29 am

spen666 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Its depressing isn't it?

I suppose you can always stay at home on social media.

3:50 - Make needy post on Uncovered saying how important it is for clubs to survive this crisis.

3:55 - Slag us off to your Spendy friends on Twitter, making jokes about us “renting two rugby grounds”.

Quite a sad little life for you to lead, in all honesty.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:51 am

FROM BBC WEBPAGE. Personally I don't see how the government can help the "arts sector" without bailing out lower league football.

"Sports are now being warned to brace themselves for several months without fans and report back to DCMS officials what impact this will have on their finances.

For EFL and rugby clubs in particular, where matchday revenue is crucial, the answer will be potentially devastating. From non-league football and Olympic sports through to grassroots clubs and community leisure facilities, the sector fears an existential crisis which could cost thousands of jobs, and result in a slump in participation.

Pressure will now build on the government to come up with a similar emergency fund to the £1.57bn bail-out the arts sector was handed in the summer. Calls for the Premier League to help prop up the football pyramid will also intensify."
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:53 am

Alfie wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:13 am
Wonder what happens to the FA Cup game? Could have contract implications if that game goes ahead but then no league games following. Would you have to bring players back and start paying them but then no games to play after.
Are players not already being paid given all clubs have had to start pre season training and playing friendlies? Think the implications have already started

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:53 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:51 am
FROM BBC WEBPAGE. Personally I don't see how the government can help the "arts sector" without bailing out lower league football.

Government will argue that there is so much money in football ( at top level) that they need to sort out the problems themselves

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:59 am

biccynana wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:09 am
spen666 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:03 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Its depressing isn't it?

I should imagine that's a two way street.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:41 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:56 am
I think saying the season is postponed is a bit dramatic
It's not that dramatic given it is exactly what has already happened? Just how long it will be postponed for looks to be extended.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:40 am

spen666 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:53 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Government will argue that there is so much money in football ( at top level) that they need to sort out the problems themselves
That's wrong. There's money in Arts, and to give to this area but not to lower league football would be elitist (in my view)
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:47 am

Wow Boris just said he expected the new measures to be in place for 6 months.

These measures included the non return of spectators to sporting venues.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:48 am

That's it then. Boris just confirmed in Parliament that 1st October date for spectators is knocked on the head. Over to leagues & FA to see if they can decide what's next. :roll:

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:53 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:40 am
spen666 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:53 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

That's wrong. There's money in Arts, and to give to this area but not to lower league football would be elitist (in my view)

Don't mistake my earlier reply as being my belief its the argument the Government will make. I don't necessarily agree with the Government view

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:03 pm

lo36789 wrote:Wow Boris just said he expected the new measures to be in place for 6 months.

These measures included the non return of spectators to sporting venues.
By issuing that statement he has pretty much signed the death warrant for god knows how many clubs outside of the premiership.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:10 pm

Season is over before its begun.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:31 pm

It’s certainly looking that way, isn’t it?

I can’t see a justification for why we can’t have sub 1,000 crowds with strict distancing at all levels. I can’t imagine a full lockdown again (although god knows the figures are starting to look desperate).

If you can open a pub, I don’t see why you can’t have a distanced, albeit very low crowd at the football.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:06 pm

Unfortunately we may just have to accept that the season 20/21 is a nonstarter and think how can we protect our club and get through these unprecedented times. Can we effectively mothball the club and restart again when the all clear finally comes. I am sure others will come up with reasons why it will be difficult but all clubs at our level will face similar problems and surely survival is all that matters for both clubs and fans. Certainly it will be tough for the players who’s income is going to be severely reduced but most of our players have other jobs so should be able to manage. They like many others are not exempt from the repercussions of the pandemic. Perhaps there are supporters who have businesses who may be able to help with extra employment opportunities for players and family who need it.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:49 pm

Disappointing and worrying, think that’s it for this season until we get a vaccine.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:39 pm

The thing I feared most has happened, I said back in August that fans returning in October seemed optimistic but it was absolutely essential spectators were able to return to grounds there was simply no way the season could resume behind closed doors and nor should it. There could well be be further reaching repercussions with regards to promotion to and relegation from League 2 as well as promotion from and relegation to Step 3 and also the FA Cup and FA Trophy.

I just can't see how clubs in the NL/NLN/NLS can participate in either the FA Cup or the FA Trophy without the regular league season beginning which in turn creates a dilemma for the FA should all 66 teams withdraw this season. Some big decisions need to be made as the season cannot be delayed indefinitely and will eventually have to be abandoned completely if the situation does not change and also decisions will need to be made closer to home regarding the Arena surely DFC could well be forced to withdraw from the arrangement with DMP if the season cannot begin?

I see many comments to the effect of "I can go and sit in a pub but I can't go to the football" and although I understand the sentiment behind it, it is not that straight forward there is a world of difference between say 30 people in a pub and 1,000 in a football stadium. It's only natural for people to mingle in large numbers at sporting events and it only takes one person in that crowd to have the virus knowingly or not to spread it, it's a substantial risk not worth taking in short the bigger the crowd the further it spreads the Government are doing all they can to prevent a ruinous second national lockdown and we are all walking a tight rope in terms of trying to prevent the spread of the virus without doing significant damage to the economy.

It's a surreal situation as it is a sorry one, I had hoped that by now we'd be through the worse of it but it seems there are many more dark days ahead.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:37 pm

Good posts Old Git and quaker4life.

This surely can't be a surprise to anyone, it was always on the cards, and it would seem that lower league and non league football may just have to be stopped until we are definitely moving in the right direction. You can't run a football club under these conditions, it's daft and makes a mockery out of any kind of league and cup competition. Orient V Spurs has just been called off now 'keep your fingers crossed, and hope for the best' just doesn't cut it.

There was much bluster coming from the government a few weeks back about forcing civil servants and government workers back to their offices but this has now also been curtailed. I'll leave politics out of this, but it's not a dissimilar situation :thumbdown:
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:17 pm

H1987 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:31 pm
It’s certainly looking that way, isn’t it?

I can’t see a justification for why we can’t have sub 1,000 crowds with strict distancing at all levels. I can’t imagine a full lockdown again (although god knows the figures are starting to look desperate).

If you can open a pub, I don’t see why you can’t have a distanced, albeit very low crowd at the football.
Quite simple really. When a goal is scored in a match some people can't help themselves and jump about and hug strangers. Don't see that happen to often in pubs.
(Not saying I agree with either decision).

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:30 am

Bring on Rishi Sunak & his magic money tree. Without fans, football loses so much of the necessary life-blood to keep clubs going as well as the match atmosphere which makes it such a great spectator sport. HMG want to be seen helping communities so might as well start by saving grass roots sports clubs.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:07 am

I don't expect any serious financial help from the Government. They don't have any spare cash to throw our way, especially after the effect Coronavirus on the countries finances. Apparently around 100 sports are pleading with cash to survive & they no doubt all think they are a special case. So if any cash help is forthcoming, by the time it gets down to our level, it's going to be negligible. I fully expect the club to ask us the fans to help the club survive & we will, but very sadly a lot of fans don't have our fan base & so I expect a significant clubs to fold, now that there is no prospect of football happening this side of March 21.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:09 am

jjljks wrote:Bring on Rishi Sunak & his magic money tree. Without fans, football loses so much of the necessary life-blood to keep clubs going as well as the match atmosphere which makes it such a great spectator sport. HMG want to be seen helping communities so might as well start by saving grass roots sporta clubs.
Steps 1 and 2 of the NL should be removed from this crazy "elite" group of clubs asap and classify us no differently to steps 3 and below.This gives us a chance of at least surviving until things improve hopefully in the coming weeks/months.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:22 am

I have been to many northern league grounds over last month, with 300 max crowds, I suspect a few games the official attendance of 300 a little over although not at West Auckland last night.
Apart from taking your name and a small bottle of sanitizer available I see no distancing or controls inside or outside the grounds, all funnelled thru one turnstile, paying cash same guy touching every fan with a ticket or change. Raffle tickets, cards by another guy no gloves no face mask coming right into your face and surprised when you ask them to step back.
Groups of kids 20-30 all together(bubbles of 6), large groups sheltering from rain in a small stand, no distancing, burger staff or clubhouse selling beer no face masks or distancing observed, how is that acceptable as opposed 2000k at the arena, contactless payments, several turnstiles , 15K spent on hygiene it is a joke completely . We are really screwed by the FA madhouse

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:25 am

It all boils down to whether we play the season or not. If we don't play the season I don't know how far the BtB will last us given we won't actually have players to pay. The strange situation we have now in the pyramid.

1 - Playing
2 - Playing
3 - Playing (only playing on basis there would be fans)
4 - Playing (only playing on basis there would be fans)
5 - Not playing (will not play without fans)
6 - Not playing (will not play without fans)
7 - Playing (only playing on basis there would be fans)
8 - Playing (only playing on basis there would be fans)
9 - Some playing (only playing on basis there would be fans) / Some not playing (will not play without fans)

On the question of how are the lower steps acceptable and those higher aren't. I am not sure how long that will be the case for. The integrity of the pyramid is in serious threat right now.

Liverpool City Council yesterday announced "No spectators allowed as amateur and semi-professional sports", but within the FAQ linked on the exact same announcement it stated "people should avoid attending amateur and semi-professional sports as spectators".

I think step 3 and below are braced for an announcements that "avoid attending" is interpretted by local health and safety as "spectators not allowed".

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:24 am

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:25 am
It all boils down to whether we play the season or not. If we don't play the season I don't know how far the BtB will last us given we won't actually have players to pay. The strange situation we have now in the pyramid.

1 - Playing
2 - Playing
3 - Playing (only playing on basis there would be fans)
4 - Playing (only playing on basis there would be fans)
5 - Not playing (will not play without fans)
6 - Not playing (will not play without fans)
7 - Playing (only playing on basis there would be fans)
8 - Playing (only playing on basis there would be fans)
9 - Some playing (only playing on basis there would be fans) / Some not playing (will not play without fans)

On the question of how are the lower steps acceptable and those higher aren't. I am not sure how long that will be the case for. The integrity of the pyramid is in serious threat right now.

Liverpool City Council yesterday announced "No spectators allowed as amateur and semi-professional sports", but within the FAQ linked on the exact same announcement it stated "people should avoid attending amateur and semi-professional sports as spectators".

I think step 3 and below are braced for an announcements that "avoid attending" is interpretted by local health and safety as "spectators not allowed".
The avoid attending guidance is pathetic.

It should be either Fans not allowed or fans are allowed.

Why allow fans but then suggest those fans should avoid the event they are allowed to attend

Think you are right that local authorities will soon interpret it as no fans allowed

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:22 am

if we dont start the season, or play a full season, then how can promotion or relegation happen.
It also means any football below the "elite" levels is a waste of time.
It will be like how the Darlo cricket league worked this summer, nothing riding on the games.