Jamie Holmes - ACL Fundraiser. Target 10k

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

AndyPark
Team Supported: Darlington

Jamie Holmes - ACL Fundraiser. Target 10k

Post by AndyPark » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:13 pm

As posted by the player himself.
JamieHolmes wrote: This is definitely not something I ever wanted or imagined myself writing but here i am, unfortunately last week i re-ruptured my ACL and now require surgery which will rule me out for another 12 months.
This is after already being out for 14 months and having worked tirelessly throughout the past year to get myself in the best shape i have ever been in for this coming season.

As with most businesses and football clubs Darlington are no exception to the current financial restraints caused by the current pandemic. To re pay the faith and support Darlington have shown me since I signed 18 months ago I have decided to set up a go fund me page to try to raise funds for an ACL repair and allow me to get back playing as soon as possible.
Any donation would make a huge difference and allow me to get the best medical help needed to get me back on the right path, I fully appreciate the tough times we are all going through so any help will go a very very long way.

Thanks for reading my story from a very grateful Jamie Holmes
Hopefully we can all chip a tenner each and get him well on his way to that 10k target.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/jamie-holmes ... ium=social

bga

Re: Jamie Holmes - ACL Fundraiser. Target 10k

Post by bga » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:04 pm

Andy not sure why we need two Threads on the same subject, however see my comments below on the other Thread about his injury and the financials. I for one would not feel comfortable contributing anything until I knew a bit more about any insurance the Club or the player might have, or should have had in place. I appreciate his request is dignified, and he acknowledges the previous support from the Club.

"Sad to read that he's out for another season. Made me wonder about personal injury insurance the club might have in place for contracted players. The last set of accounts to year ended 30/06/19 only showed insurance amount of £1,500 which is far too small for any personal injury cover. So I wondered whether it might come under the heading of playing staff (expenses) in the total figure shown of £365,383. Does anybody know whether the club can claim some of the money back for his wages, or are individual players expected to take out their own personal injury insurance?"

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:23 pm

We don’t have two threads on this do we?

We may have insurance in regards to some part of wages but we don’t have insurance to pay all medical costs I would guess.

Not sure if Jamie has just gone and done his own thing or if the club perhaps whilst supportive don’t want to promote. My only thought on this is that if the club promotes and we all pay for his op and then Jamie leaves in 12 months time at end of contract, do some blame the club.

Personally I think we should support the lad where we can as fans and owners of the club, if he then moves on at least we know we done the right thing for a lad who got injured representing us.

bga

Post by bga » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:11 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:23 pm
We don’t have two threads on this do we?

We may have insurance in regards to some part of wages but we don’t have insurance to pay all medical costs I would guess.

Not sure if Jamie has just gone and done his own thing or if the club perhaps whilst supportive don’t want to promote. My only thought on this is that if the club promotes and we all pay for his op and then Jamie leaves in 12 months time at end of contract, do some blame the club.

Personally I think we should support the lad where we can as fans and owners of the club, if he then moves on at least we know we done the right thing for a lad who got injured representing us.
Les the subject is surely "Jamie Holmes injury" and all aspects of that, so we only need one thread. There is a lot of guesswork in your first sentance. As regards your conclusion don't you feel we as fans need some more facts before we commit to anything? As an example if the player was expected to take out his own insurance and didn't, I would be less likely to consider contributing than if the circumstances were different. If the club were not honouring something they had previously agreed with the player, then that again is important to know.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:36 pm

Do you mean this one "Holmes out for the season" in regards to two threads?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=38674

Yeah as I said was guessing, think a statement would be good from the club really in regards to it. I don't think we would have insurance for his operation though and then leave him on his own. However it does look like he has been left with either standard hospital or raise the cash to go private for quicker treatment.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:50 pm

Can't imagine what the waiting lists are like now for surgery such as this when it's not an emergency.

bga

Post by bga » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:52 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:36 pm
Do you mean this one "Holmes out for the season" in regards to two threads?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=38674

Yeah as I said was guessing, think a statement would be good from the club really in regards to it. I don't think we would have insurance for his operation though and then leave him on his own. However it does look like he has been left with either standard hospital or raise the cash to go private for quicker treatment.
Yes to your first question. I had a private ACL op a few years ago and it cost a lot less than £10,000 maybe that is the effect of inflation!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:55 pm

See DJ has contributed £1000 to the fund so the club must be happy with Jamie crowd funding his treatment. Just a thought but wonder if he is not covered by insurance because this is a repeat of his previous injury. It could be classed as an pre existing condition and therefore not covered.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:58 pm

Jamie must be so frustrated and keen to actually get back to playing football after working so hard to get back to football, happy to donate and hope he recovers to show us what he can do.

Footifanreturns

Post by Footifanreturns » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:36 pm

I see he has raised 6,700 already...