Jamie Holmes Injury Insurance?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

eddie-rowles
Team Supported: Darlington

Jamie Holmes Injury Insurance?

Post by eddie-rowles » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:36 am

Really Sad news about Janie Holmes suffering another cruciate injury and his request to reach 10K (go fund me now at 7K) to cover the operation and physio privately, I was more than happy to donate and provided the link below for any other fans who can possibly afford to contribute.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/jamie-holmes ... ium=social

However as a semi pro club shouldn't we have insurance in place to cover career threatening injuries like this instead of just placing someone on an already packed NHS waiting list?

Mister e

Re: Jamie Holmes Injury Insurance?

Post by Mister e » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:06 am

Maybe with us being below the football league pyramid the costs incurred means that the responsibility falls on the players themselves. Having said that we have been unlucky over the years with players receiving career ending injuries Gary himsworth' Martin Gray' Andy collett and Mark kilty are just a few that spring to mind.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:10 am

Agreed Eddie thought we would have had something in place with private health insurance. Perhaps the cost is prohibitive for the club and players need to make their own provision. Presumably our players are not members of the PFA as you would imagine they would have a scheme to help them out.
Like you I was happy to contribute to help out the lad as he could have waited months to be seen by the NHS at the present time. Given the circumstances perhaps the club do need to look at this again to see if there is something that can be done.

uncovered
Site Admin

Post by uncovered » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:54 pm

I am assuming that there maybe an issue with the fact that it’s a second cruciate ligament injury to happen in a short space of time. Maybe insurance or the PFA won’t cover him the second time within a certain time period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:02 am

uncovered wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:54 pm
I am assuming that there maybe an issue with the fact that it’s a second cruciate ligament injury to happen in a short space of time. Maybe insurance or the PFA won’t cover him the second time within a certain time period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed this seems quite likely. If classed as a pre existing condition he probably would not be covered. Perhaps if this is the case he or the club should have said so to clarify the situation.