Rugby League

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:37 am

Watched some of Hull KR's game against Leeds. Thought you were unlucky with the first Leeds try, as it looked to me like your player had the ball stripped by the Leeds player, in the lead up to the try. After that Hull KR just seemed to capitulate. You shared the second half, but given the damage that was done in the first half, it was far too late to affect the result. At least you can now concentrate on the league.

Let's see of we can end Hull's participation in this years challenge cup.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:31 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:37 am
Watched some of Hull KR's game against Leeds. Thought you were unlucky with the first Leeds try, as it looked to me like your player had the ball stripped by the Leeds player, in the lead up to the try. After that Hull KR just seemed to capitulate. You shared the second half, but given the damage that was done in the first half, it was far too late to affect the result. At least you can now concentrate on the league.

Let's see of we can end Hull's participation in this years challenge cup.
By a long long way the worst we have played this year. The best we can take from it is that we did not roll over, and we matched them second half.
Agree about the strip and I thought the second was a forward pass.
What really got me though was that we came out fighting second half and again their first try the final pass was thrown from behind the 10 yard line and caught a yard in front of it. As both the ref and lino were close I do not see how they missed it. A shame he did not send it upstairs for something as I am sure it would have been chalked off. As we got the next try had that not been allowed we would have actually been in a good place.
Never mind, on to next week. Shame we are not on TV. Will have to watch via the computer link so a much smaller screen.
ps, yes please to the last bit.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:50 am

We aim to please!! Awesome display by Wigan, as we dominate Hull & we must fancy our chances in the semi-final against Hull. The worrying thing for the rest of the SL, is the continuous production of young players from the youth ranks. Bevan French has pace to burn & has to be the speediest player in the SL.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:56 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:50 am
We aim to please!! Awesome display by Wigan, as we dominate Hull & we must fancy our chances in the semi-final against Hull. The worrying thing for the rest of the SL, is the continuous production of young players from the youth ranks. Bevan French has pace to burn & has to be the speediest player in the SL.
Whoops, why do you want to play Dull in the semi final when some side have already knocked them out !!!!

Wigwam have always had good kids coming through right back to the days of Billy Boston and co.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:13 pm

Very very hard to see a number of old and respected Rugby league clubs surviving the next 6 months.
Think the death nell will be chiming soon.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:49 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:13 pm
Very very hard to see a number of old and respected Rugby league clubs surviving the next 6 months.
Sadly I think you're right. Many clubs from many sports will not survive the Coronavirus pandemic. Do you think any SL sides will not make it though?

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:07 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:49 am
EDJOHNS wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:13 pm
Sadly I think you're right. Many clubs from many sports will not survive the Coronavirus pandemic. Do you think any SL sides will not make it though?
It depends if they get any government help or not. Be that loans or being able to re-furlough at the end of the season. A few sides, Wakey, Salford, Udders, and KR must be in danger from the end of the year. Us especially when Hudgie leaves on December 1st.
So long as we complete the matches on TV we should be OK for the rest of this season, but we already know the Sky money is lower next year because we have borrowed from it to make up the shortfall this year.
It would not surprise me at all if we do not start next season at all if fans are still not allowed.
Not sure how contracts would stand up in court if the season were not to start.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:47 pm

Well that's the end of Castleford's season, although I can really see Huddersfield getting into the top 4. The game had a distinctly end of season game, even though it isn't the end of the season quite yet.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:41 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:47 pm
Well that's the end of Castleford's season, although I can really see Huddersfield getting into the top 4. The game had a distinctly end of season game, even though it isn't the end of the season quite yet.
Well, having played nothing but the top 4 sides since the restart KR now have a run or games pre the derby where I believe we can get some points.
I watched both games yesterday after ours and have to say I more or less agree with you, though I go slightly further and think there is a gulf opening up between the top 4 sides and the rest.
We have 5 games pre the Duller match and I feel we can get at least 8 points from them. My biggest doubt is which Catalan team turns up when we play them. The way team we will beat. The home team are strong.
If you consider the top 4 as being all important then your season is over, but if you are interested in the league as a whole then plenty left in it.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:42 am

Oh nearly forgot, yesterday was the first time I have watched via the RL's link. Was both surprised and shocked at how good the link was. I would happily pay a subscription to have that service permanently for games not on TV.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:13 am

I agree there is a chasm between the top4 & the rest, but as Hull KR proved on there day any side is capable of beating any other side. Wigan showed a lot of character to overcome a very resourceful Wakefield. But the scheduling of us playing St Helens on Tuesday & then Leeds in the semi final next weekend is really tough. Especially as St Helens haven't played this weekend & Leeds have no midweek game.

Interesting about the RL link, not much use this year as all games are covered, but could be an option next season.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:09 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:13 am
I agree there is a chasm between the top4 & the rest, but as Hull KR proved on there day any side is capable of beating any other side. Wigan showed a lot of character to overcome a very resourceful Wakefield. But the scheduling of us playing St Helens on Tuesday & then Leeds in the semi final next weekend is really tough. Especially as St Helens haven't played this weekend & Leeds have no midweek game.

Interesting about the RL link, not much use this year as all games are covered, but could be an option next season.
Most but not all games are on TV mate. We play Wednesday again and not on again as a start.
The RFL have finally got something right. Anyone can pay for the app' via the RFL site but all season ticket holders from all clubs have been given free access to all games if they are on TV or not. Not sure if you can do 1 off's or if you pay for a season but I will certainly look into it after our freebie ends.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:17 pm

Jez Litten's season finished with a "grade two medial collateral ligament tear" he got early second half v Leeds.

On the plus side King has joined us early from Wakey and available now instead of from next season

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:49 am

Well as expected St. Helens hammered a very youthful Wigan team, but some very encouraging spirit shown by our youngsters.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:05 pm

KR's game at Udders put back 90 minutes because of confirmed Covid tests at Udders.
Not sure what difference 90 minutes can make.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:40 pm

Bad defeat for Wigan today, I thought we'd have too much for Leeds, but can't be right all the time, haha.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:57 am

Fantastic game tonight between Warrington & Wigan. Brilliant performance by Wigan to win the game in the last 5 minutes. Certainly tonight's game showed that defences can win games. I see that Hull KR got thumped down in Catalan, a not totally unexpected result. But it does ask the question how they can put in such a great performance against Wigan & then capitulate against Catalan. The SL at the top of the table is so competitive, if Wigan had lost last night they'd be 5th, but after the win they are up to joint top & Warrington are 5th.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:05 am

I was so depressed at the weekend I decided to keep zipped.
Last night was a different story. How can we be so good some games and so bad others? It makes no sense at all.
Please don't tell me Salford were "Taking it easy" and had reserves in. (3 actually so still a strong 17). We played with 11 reserves for virtually 2 seasons and were told to "Get on with it", and also those who played would be working for a shirt at the weekend.
What I witnessed last night was simply the best game of rugby I have seen in years. Edge of the seat stuff all afternoon. We went 6-0 up, they levelled. We went 12-6 up and they levelled. We went 18-12 up.... and they levelled.
With 2 and a half minutes to go they went in front for the first time and I thought our Salford hoodoo had struck again as the last pass was clearly forward yet again.(The first real mistake by the ref)., but we broke through and Abdull went over in the corner for 22-22. Both sides missing the kick. Our 3rd try was an unusual 1. Micky Lewis was pushed in the back as he went to catch the ball in the in zone and the ref gave a penalty try. As he was not in the act of putting the ball on the ground no second kick to make 8 points.
Anyway, dead level with 30 seconds to go then, .....
We got a penalty 40+ out, but bang in the middle and Ellis made no mistake.
We end a 5 game losing run and they had won 5 on the bounce.
Edge of the seat stuff for the entire 80.

Both the other games were decent but did not match for the WOW factor. Again great stream and far better commentary than Sky.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:50 am

The Hull KR game wasn't shown on Sky last night, so didn't get a chance to watch it.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:18 pm

It wasn't going to be on the app either but the fans played hell to the club and the club went to Sky and the RFL about it and got us on.
As an aside, that is now 4 games on the trot we have not been on Sky. No other side has missed anywhere near that number. Again, it seems like we are being picked on. We know the RFL did not want 2 Hull sides in SL and were livid when we won our way up in 06 and only slightly less so again in 17, but this is not being fare towards our fan base.
It is sad that only members of the 2 clubs got to see it because it really was a cracking game. I noticed the Sky mob did say it was a cracking game before their game number 1.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:44 am

Hope Salford win the Challenge Cup, apparently there first appearance in the final for over 50 years, so they are due a win. :D

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:36 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:44 am
Hope Salford win the Challenge Cup, apparently there first appearance in the final for over 50 years, so they are due a win. :D
Salford = Hull KR ex players. Think if fit there will be 7 of our ex players in the 17. Actually that is very annoying in truth.
Apart from the fact I don't like the club for the way the fans behaved in the million £ game I would NEVER go for a Lancashire club over a Yorkshire club.
Believe me, the wars of the Roses is still very much alive in Rugby League.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:11 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:36 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Salford = Hull KR ex players. Think if fit there will be 7 of our ex players in the 17. Actually that is very annoying in truth.
Apart from the fact I don't like the club for the way the fans behaved in the million £ game I would NEVER go for a Lancashire club over a Yorkshire club.
Well I was born on the right side of the pennines, so I'm sticking with Salford & I don't like Leeds for personal reasons.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:33 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:11 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:36 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Well I was born on the right side of the pennines, so I'm sticking with Salford & I don't like Leeds for personal reasons.

Thought KR castoff's did a good job yesterday.

Hope you got to watch it Pete. It was a really good game.
Still smiling at Salford losing to a drop goal.
Ps, if you were born "Over there" how can you possibly think you were born the right side of the border. What a foolish notion. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:34 pm

No sadly didn't get to watch the game, as was working.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:16 am

And here we go again.
Playing Rob's lot today. Sadly I have to go for my diabetic reviews today otherwise there would be a day of banter with some Cas friends of mine.
Hope their bad run continues for 1 more game at least.
Looking forward to watching as they like to play quite expansive rugby as well so while there may be mistakes a good game seems to be in the offing.

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:27 pm

Well we needed that, tried our best to give it away, but in the end deserved the win. Leeds on Monday would be a great win but hear Leeds are resting players v Saints -twats lol.
Ed really 2 average sides, end of season cannot come quick enough.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:03 pm

robsraiders wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:27 pm
Well we needed that, tried our best to give it away, but in the end deserved the win. Leeds on Monday would be a great win but hear Leeds are resting players v Saints -twats lol.
Ed really 2 average sides, end of season cannot come quick enough.
Couldn't agree more. Only query was 3 in a tackle and not a ball steal?
Could not believe how poor we were after last week. So many tackles dropped off it was unbelievable.
Wakey up next. Need to win that 1. Then the true Derby.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:55 pm

Wow what a performance by Wigan this evening as they annihilate a sorry Salford. A truly wonder try by Bevan French, he would be a massive miss for Wigan & the Superleague if he goes back to Oz at the end of the season.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:03 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:55 pm
Wow what a performance by Wigan this evening as they annihilate a sorry Salford. A truly wonder try by Bevan French, he would be a massive miss for Wigan & the Superleague if he goes back to Oz at the end of the season.
I agree about a good performance by Wigwam, but "wonder try"? I really don't get why when the fastest man on the pitch gets the ball in the clear gets a head of steam up v tired defenders and goes in it is always "a wonder try" He did 1 good "shimmy" against a defender who was static and on the back foot so could not go either way. Good try yes, but not a worldie in my eyes. That said, yes I do enjoy watching him so hope he is about next season.
Crazy days. That should be the weekend over and done with, but we go again tomorrow v Wakey then again on Thursday in the 1 true derby.
No wonder so many players are going down with serious injuries. The body can only take so much abuse. Footballers would be going nuts at a schedule like the RL lads are facing, but they just get on with it. They must be preying to get it over and done with and have a well earned rest. And I say that in admiration of EVERY teams players not just KR.

Looking forward to the 2 grand finals tomorrow. Early start for the Womens match, but hope it will be worth it. Not a massive fan of either of the mens teams in the men's GF, but it is normally a tasty match