Swindon away

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

jjljks
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by jjljks » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:30 am

Great team performance and each one deserved MOTM but don't forget the lads who were not there Hatfield, McMahon & Sousa. AA has built a great squad who could do even better this season. Well done to the backroom staff and the fans who contributed to the funding of an overnight. Fantastic effort by the whole club.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:30 am

I didn't have too many problems with iFollow other than the odd bit of 'buffering' before the game started. I thought the commentary from BBC Wiltshire was great. Two guys who worked well together and were very knowledgeable and complimentary to us.

Arguably a few of the 'bigger' clubs are out. Sunderland, Bolton, Charlton, Fleetwood and Ipswich all out. Doncaster, Hull & Portsmouth are about the biggest that are left. Biggest money is always the best.

Fantastic by the players, the only annoyance being that over 1000 fans weren't there to enjoy it

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:01 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:46 pm
jjljks wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:07 pm
Friggin BBC, begrudging mention on website - making more references to Salford City and troubled Swindon than a great display by the lads under superb managerial direction of AA. Just watched AA post-match interview and he was very grateful to all the fans who had contributed to paying for the overnight stay & said it was this that helped make the victory possible. What a great manager of player & fans!

"Sixth-tier Darlington pulled off an FA Cup first-round upset against managerless Swindon Town thanks to Adam Campbell's brace at the County Ground.

Campbell put the National League North visitors ahead with a right-footed strike just past the half-hour mark.

Brett Pitman levelled just before the break as he fired home inside the box following good work form Joel Grant.

But Campbell once again found the net midway through the second half with a long-range strike to seal it.

Darlington progress to the second-round stage of the FA Cup for the first time since 2010-11 by virtue of their victory against their League One opponents.

The Robins are without a manager after former boss Richie Wellens left the club earlier this week to be appointed as Salford City's new boss.

The defeat means Swindon have now lost 10 of their past 13 games in all competitions and are knocked out at the first-round stage for the seventh time in the past nine seasons"
Not entirely sure what your problem is here. They make one reference to Salford, which is relevant given they took Swindon's manager.

There's literally nothing wrong with this article. You're just trying to feed some weird victim complex.

Let's celebrate a great win tonight, instead of looking for non-existent grievances.
We get the second mini report (after Marine) in the Guardian's FA Cup round up https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -of-upsets

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:10 pm

biccynana wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
jjljks wrote:
Friggin BBC, begrudging mention on website - making more references to Salford City and troubled Swindon than a great display by the lads under superb managerial direction of AA. Just watched AA post-match interview and he was very grateful to all the fans who had contributed to paying for the overnight stay & said it was this that helped make the victory possible. What a great manager of player & fans!

"Sixth-tier Darlington pulled off an FA Cup first-round upset against managerless Swindon Town thanks to Adam Campbell's brace at the County Ground.

Campbell put the National League North visitors ahead with a right-footed strike just past the half-hour mark.

Brett Pitman levelled just before the break as he fired home inside the box following good work form Joel Grant.

But Campbell once again found the net midway through the second half with a long-range strike to seal it.

Darlington progress to the second-round stage of the FA Cup for the first time since 2010-11 by virtue of their victory against their League One opponents.

The Robins are without a manager after former boss Richie Wellens left the club earlier this week to be appointed as Salford City's new boss.

The defeat means Swindon have now lost 10 of their past 13 games in all competitions and are knocked out at the first-round stage for the seventh time in the past nine seasons"
Not entirely sure what your problem is here. They make one reference to Salford, which is relevant given they took Swindon's manager.

There's literally nothing wrong with this article. You're just trying to feed some weird victim complex.

Let's celebrate a great win tonight, instead of looking for non-existent grievances.
We get the second mini report (after Marine) in the Guardian's FA Cup round up https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -of-upsets
Although they incorrectly say it’s the first time since 2006 we’ve made Round Two. We reached it in 2010 too, after knocking out Bristol Rovers. Lost to York at home in the next round.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:13 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:10 pm
biccynana wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
jjljks wrote:

Although they incorrectly say it’s the first time since 2006 we’ve made Round Two. We reached it in 2010 too, after knocking out Bristol Rovers. Lost to York at home in the next round.
Ah yes, so they do. Looks like they, or rather the PA agency which supplied the copy, has been using Wikipedia as a source. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_D ... C._seasons has us getting only as far as R1 in 2010/11.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:46 pm

Just seen the goals and missed Omar's chest down for Cams 2nd goal when I watched live. Real bit of quality.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:36 pm

H1987 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:20 pm
Yep. Bit rubbish that. Unlikely to make it on the telly, likely to get a walloping.
Nearly correct.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:12 pm

Olrad-I'll let you know as soon as possible! Oops, anyone else finding every day is similar? Must be the excitement getting to me....

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:19 pm

Watching the games today happily in the knowledge we're in the next round. Some absolutely brilliant cup ties and performances.

Torquay 5 - 6 Crawley - Torquay giving up a 5-3 lead in extra time to lose out.
Wigan 2 - 3 Chorley - Chorley coming back from 2-0 down after Wigan player is (rather harshly) sent off.
Barnet 1 - 0 Burton - Barnet playing 60 odd minutes with 10 men.
Hayes & Yeading 2 - 2 Carlisle (Carlisle win on Pens) - Carlisle scoring twice in the last 3 mins of extra time to take it to penalties.

Still leaves us with a good shot of being on TV as one of the lowest ranked sides remaining. Likes of Pompey, Blackpool (currently 2 up) and Hull still in the competition and would likely guarantee any non-league side a TV game should they draw them. Might also place TV games on games with a great potential for shocks. Teams like Stevenage who got lucky in not being relegated last season, scraped through against Concord Ranger yesterday and could represent a good chance of an upset if we can draw them.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:21 pm

banktopp wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:36 pm
H1987 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:20 pm
Yep. Bit rubbish that. Unlikely to make it on the telly, likely to get a walloping.
Nearly correct.
Haha I was right about the telly bit.... :lol: :lol:

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:19 pm

............. To all you people wanting us to draw a big club and be on TV live wouldn't we stand more of a chance if we were drawn at home to plucky little Salford 😁👍

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:10 pm

Mister e wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:19 pm
............. To all you people wanting us to draw a big club and be on TV live wouldn't we stand more of a chance if we were drawn at home to plucky little Salford 😁👍
And they did do us a favour by pinching Swindon's manager last week.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:18 pm

Just watched the highlights on the official site.
Is it just me or does anyone else think that Charmans "offside" goal was actually onside.

Also. Rivers was clearly tripped in the box and we should have had a penalty.
I know it's irrelevant now but shows that we could and in my opinion should have won by a bigger margin.
I really enjoyed the way we closed the game out, We haven't been able to close it out like that for many many years

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:37 pm

banktopp wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:10 pm
Mister e wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:19 pm
And they did do us a favour by pinching Swindon's manager last week.
And also despatching Raj Singh and Hartlepool from the competition.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:59 pm

My opinion wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:18 pm
Is it just me or does anyone else think that Charmans "offside" goal was actually onside.

I know it's irrelevant now but shows that we could and in my opinion should have won by a bigger margin.
I really enjoyed the way we closed the game out, We haven't been able to close it out like that for many many years
Charman looks just offside to me, or at the very least I can see why the linesman gave it. The penalty looks like it should have been given.

Also when Campbell broke through I thought he should have cut across the defender but the keeper was out fast.

Yeah whilst being very nervous at home watching, I actually don't think we gave many opportunities at all, really good closing out performance.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:12 pm

My opinion wrote:

I think in his post-match interview AA states could have had a penalty as well?

bga

Post by bga » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:14 pm

Anyone else notice the BBC rewrote our history when they introduced our game on their highlights programme? They said "following Darlington's EXPULSION from The Football League in 2012......."

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:18 pm

bga wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:14 pm
Anyone else notice the BBC rewrote our history when they introduced our game on their highlights programme? They said "following Darlington's EXPULSION from The Football League in 2012......."
Yep listened to it and thought, well that's not true as we just got relegated from the football league in 2010.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:23 pm

Yep bad mistake. I like the Presenter but I guess he relies on his Researchers who didnt do their job properly.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:28 pm

Yes but you would expect the BBC to be able to get it right.
Fake news as our recently defeated President of the USA might say and for once he would be correct.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:44 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:59 pm
My opinion wrote:
Charman looks just offside to me, or at the very least I can see why the linesman gave it. The penalty looks like it should have been given.
Looks "comfortably" offside in the realms of offside judgements. His entire right leg is beyond the defender at point ball is played.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:04 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:44 pm
super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:59 pm
My opinion wrote:
Looks "comfortably" offside in the realms of offside judgements. His entire right leg is beyond the defender at point ball is played.
I take it you were there and directly in line at the time, well, you must have been as you are so sure but for me the camera angle does not show clearly enough.
I was just saying my thoughts and have just watched it again (twice) and still think he was onside.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:16 pm

The trailing right leg of their defender makes it tight. I think Charman is just offside but I certainly wouldn’t say comfortably offside. On a different day he could well have been given the benefit of the doubt.

I’m pleased we can discuss this issue having won the game!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:34 pm

My opinion wrote:Just watched the highlights on the official site.

It’s a definite offside, having watched the highlights. Someone on the Tin Shed group has posted a still of it and Charman is clearly just beyond the defender.

Agree with you about the Rivers penalty though.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:02 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:16 pm
The trailing right leg of their defender makes it tight. I think Charman is just offside but I certainly wouldn’t say comfortably offside. On a different day he could well have been given the benefit of the doubt.
I'm talking in the realms of what is expected of the officials. That one would have been put down as as expected decision.

Had he been the same distance the other side of the defender it wouldn't have even been classed as a decision had it been allowed as a goal.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:30 am

Anyone checked the Swindon goal for offside? The "squared" ball went forward, the attacker is ahead of the 2 closest defenders, only Michael Liddle may be playing him onside but the distance he is from it and the angle make it difficult to tell.
Didn't think the Rivers "foul" was a penalty.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:49 am

Makka Pakka wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:30 am
Anyone checked the Swindon goal for offside? The "squared" ball went forward, the attacker is ahead of the 2 closest defenders, only Michael Liddle may be playing him onside but the distance he is from it and the angle make it difficult to tell.
I think Pitman was behind the ball when the pass was made.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:00 am

Some very complimentary comments from STFC fans on their message board about us & the way we played. They all wish us luck in the next round & hope we get a great draw.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:31 pm

MB86DFC wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:49 am
Makka Pakka wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:30 am
I think Pitman was behind the ball when the pass was made.
This. if you look at the grass cuttings each are about 6 yards in width. At the point the ball is crossed the ball is about 2 yards off the one that runs parallel with the 6 yard box (so the ball is 8 yards out). At the same time Pitman is only a yard / yard and a half off the penalty spot so he is at least 10 yards out.

Can't be offside if behind the ball irrespective of defenders position.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:22 pm

8-) A cure for covid, Donald dumped but best of all a great cup win - our best since Burnley? Magic moments in a locked down Darlington. God bless Alan Armstrong and give a cheer for Mansfield Town - best avoided in round 2. Wonderful.