Back to Basics Boston on Tuesday

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

curried Quaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Back to Basics Boston on Tuesday

Post by curried Quaker » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:19 pm

Yes, we all should be celebrating today, and we look forward to Monday evening and the draw, but more importantly we need 3 points against Boston on Tuesday night followed by another 3 points against Telford on Saturday.
A cup run I’d great for the finances and moral of all of us, but let’s get points on the board. We need the play offs as a minimum

Darlopartisan

Re: Back to Basics Boston on Tuesday

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:43 pm

Agree , and we’ll go into that one full of confidence, after Drawing the lowest club still left in the competition at home who will.......

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:45 pm

Didn’t we have a dip in form after the Walsall replay last year? We do appear to have a stronger squad this year though.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:38 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:45 pm
Didn’t we have a dip in form after the Walsall replay last year? We do appear to have a stronger squad this year though.
Hopefully we do when you look at the starting line up today.
We achieved today’s fantastic result without McMahon Hatfield and Sousa even being in the squad.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:10 am

curried Quaker wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:19 pm
Yes, we all should be celebrating today, and we look forward to Monday evening and the draw, but more importantly we need 3 points against Boston on Tuesday night followed by another 3 points against Telford on Saturday.
A cup run I’d great for the finances and moral of all of us, but let’s get points on the board. We need the play offs as a minimum
No need to put extra pressure on the squad just yet about the league. There is a long long way to go, IF it is completed anyway.
Personally if we get to Christmas anywhere near half way in the league, ( as we will have a few games in hand), I will still be confident of making the play off's, (and we all enjoy a good catch up,(Government protocols adhered to of course :lol:), don't we)?
Better to go into them on a winning run rather than stutter over the line.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:31 am

I'd happily take 4 points out of the next 6. Boston are a good side who'll be right up there this season and forgive me if I'm wrong but I also think they've just had a weekend off so will be fresh going into Tuesday night. Won't make or break our season not winning against them.

Hopefully with the likes of McMahon, Hatfield and Sousa to come back in we can freshen things up for Tuesday night a give them a good game.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:43 am

Yeah, it’s not make it break, this is only our fourth league game after all. And I expect Boston to be promotion contenders this season too so it’s a tough game.

However the performance will be important. Last season, after the draw at Walsall we then lost 5-1 at Brackley (and actually lost three league games in a row).

The main thing on Tuesday is to make sure there’s no hangover from the weekend (metaphorically and literally!).
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:51 am

We have sufficient quality players in reserve to bolster the team after having tough games, alun has got the squad as he intended, quality on the field and quality in reserve, I believe we will be knocking on the door come the end of the season , hopefully we get that far with out having to chalk off the season because of the situation.

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:08 am

Will there be streaming for this match, or is only cup ties we can do?

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:13 pm

wouldn't surprise me to see Laing get a first start against Boston, if not then certainly on Saturday. Can't see Hunt being able to do 3 games in 7 days, AA did say they needed to monitor him.

Good thing is that with the versatile nature of some of our players we can easily move from 4-4-2 like we did against Curzon to 4-2-3-1 like we did against swindon

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:33 pm

Alfie wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:08 am
Will there be streaming for this match, or is only cup ties we can do?
All home games are been streamed :thumbup:

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:08 pm

Can see a number of changes on Tuesday although I don't think we can completely change the team, Boston are one of the favourites for the league and will be a tough proposition.

So many players need game time or likely to be back in - Sousa, Hatfield, Maguire, McMahon, Watson, Laing, Minter & Atkinson - we then have Amantchi and Hudson.

However consistency is key and I can only see a maximum of 3 changes within the first 11, change too many and we could look all over the place against a good team.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:25 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:08 pm
Can see a number of changes on Tuesday although I don't think we can completely change the team, Boston are one of the favourites for the league and will be a tough proposition.

So many players need game time or likely to be back in - Sousa, Hatfield, Maguire, McMahon, Watson, Laing, Minter & Atkinson - we then have Amantchi and Hudson.

However consistency is key and I can only see a maximum of 3 changes within the first 11, change too many and we could look all over the place against a good team.
What a nice problem to have.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:08 am

In all the euphoria of Saturday, I'd forgotten we were playing tonight. Hope the players are more focussed :lol:

Very early stages in our league season, this being only our 4th game, but it looks like the quality is there in the squad to realistically challenge for the playoffs, so it would be good to start picking up some points and move up the table a bit so we don't find ourselves too far off the early pace

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:51 am

Amazing to think that we have ten players who can slot straight into the first team compared to previously when we had youth players on the bench and maybe not even a full bench at times. We've come a long way and last night's AGM which I really enjoyed being able to be part of filled me with confidence. We even have a decent sub keeper!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:43 pm

Not too confident about tonight as it could be a case of After the Lord Mayor’s Show. However as others have said we have plenty of scope to make changes without weakening the team. If we bring in Laing McMahon Hatfield Sousa Maguire etc we can still field a really strong side. Also big incentive for players coming in to nail down a starting place as nobody is guaranteed to play when most of the squad are available.
Feels like for the first time in ages we have a strong and deep group not just a decent starting eleven with a threadbare bench.