Away to Bristol rovers

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Mister e
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Away to Bristol rovers

Post by Mister e » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:29 pm

Are you people forgetting we've already knocked Bristol rovers out of the FA cup as a non league club ourselves less than a decade ago. Also ironically if they hadn't won on Saturday we would have had Walsall again.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:48 pm

Mister e wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:29 pm
Are you people forgetting we've already knocked Bristol rovers out of the FA cup as a non league club ourselves less than a decade ago
Completely irrelevant to our chances of success this time round.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:09 pm

DavidJohnston wrote: From your Chairman and CEO - You are the best fans in the world, thank-you so much for doing this and keep the contributions coming, this trip will cost the club £3,350. Words fail me ; you are unbelievable ❤️cheers Dave
Message from DJ on Twitter; so let’s get that target smashed ever further lads and lasses.

Currently on £2195.

https://fundraising.darlingtonfcsupport ... und-travel

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:21 pm

I reckon we'll more than match that £3350 and have change for an extra pain au chocolat each at breakfast.

The Dave Penney derby and a totaliser - what's not to love? :D

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:21 pm

biccynana wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:48 pm
Mister e wrote:
Are you people forgetting we've already knocked Bristol rovers out of the FA cup as a non league club ourselves less than a decade ago
not necessarily how many clubs have bogey teams why can't we become theirs and didn't we trounce them 3 0 on our last visit to the memorial ground in the football league Craig liddles wonder goal and all.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:26 pm

Mister e wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:21 pm
biccynana wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:48 pm
Mister e wrote:
not necessarily how many clubs have bogey teams why can't we become theirs and didn't we trounce them 3 0 on our last visit to the memorial ground in the football league Craig liddles wonder goal and all.
Even longer ago than the cup match. Won 5, drawn 5, lost 9 against them between 1966 and 2010 hardly suggests bogey team status.

tezza

Post by tezza » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:43 am

£2.650,0

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:45 am

I don't use Twitter but is there any way we can get some interest on say the BBC sport Twitter talking about us being fan owned, raising over £2500 to get the team to Bristol etc. Just a thought.

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:43 pm

£3,100 so far. Blimey.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:10 pm

Lawman3 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:43 pm
£3,100 so far. Blimey.
Absolutley ridiculous. Having said that, I understand it. This is possibly the most positive I've ever felt about Darlington Football Club, and I'd guess others feel similar. Off the pitch we are as strong as I've personally ever known it - so many brilliant people involved, and the best thing about it is - they're all wanting the very best for DFC. There's not a mysterious money man with unknown motives in sight. Just listening to DJs interview today emphasises all of this. We've got a manager who knows what he's doing and also gets us as a club. We've got a group of players who are talented and seem to have brilliant attitudes. There's still some bumps to overcome - the ground issue is massive. However, I'm incredibly positive about us continuing to progress on and off the pitch, which hasn't always been the case since 2012.

(Although come back to me about all this after tonight's game :lol: ;))

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:34 pm

There's £3465 in the pot now, which has exceeded the £3350 target set by DJ.

F*cking superb :clap: Every single contributor deserves a pat on the back.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:02 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Lawman3 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:43 pm
£3,100 so far. Blimey.
Absolutley ridiculous. Having said that, I understand it. This is possibly the most positive I've ever felt about Darlington Football Club, and I'd guess others feel similar. Off the pitch we are as strong as I've personally ever known it - so many brilliant people involved, and the best thing about it is - they're all wanting the very best for DFC. There's not a mysterious money man with unknown motives in sight. Just listening to DJs interview today emphasises all of this. We've got a manager who knows what he's doing and also gets us as a club. We've got a group of players who are talented and seem to have brilliant attitudes. There's still some bumps to overcome - the ground issue is massive. However, I'm incredibly positive about us continuing to progress on and off the pitch, which hasn't always been the case since 2012.

(Although come back to me about all this after tonight's game :lol: ;))
100% Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:17 pm

Bristol Rovers have sacked their manager after being hammered 1-4 by Fleetwood. Is this an omen?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:52 pm

After today we need all the help we can get.

polam

Post by polam » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:53 pm

jjljks wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:17 pm
Bristol Rovers have sacked their manager after being hammered 1-4 by Fleetwood. Is this an omen?
Caretaker Boss is former Poolie Tommy Widdrington

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:51 am

If we're honest with ourselves we will get bugger all at Bristol if the lads put a performance like the last 2 ,from the Swindon performance to the last 2 different as chalke and cheese.
Just have to believe that we can achieve Swindon performances standard on a regular basis as if not it's going to be a long season,i,hope these these lads are really feeling it today, as most of the fans are, hopefully it's out of their system now and we can get going on Tuesday against guiseley. 2 bad games but not a lost cause, I will back the team as I have done for over 40 years it's the ups and downs that you get following Darlington FC. Sad and down one week, euphoric the next.
Com,on darlo, alun you can put it right believe.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:15 am

I wonder if playing the likes of Swindon/Bristol Rovers is more suited to our style of football than playing in the rough and tumble of the NLN. We seem to be able to raise our game and can surprise them with our quality of football whereas in the league teams are expecting it and set out to stop us playing. Of course we lack consistency but in a one off game we can pull off a shock result.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:17 am

I think if you had Hunt, Wheatley and Charman missing you'd worry about getting a result. Thought we played very well for most of the first half and should have scored a few. Don't know what their manager said at half time but it worked! With these three back for Rovers we'll give them a go and anything's a bonus for me. We're in the second round.....again!

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:36 pm

Paul Tisdale The former Exeter City and MK Dons boss was 6/1 on Monday morning, but the markets have shifted and Tisdale is now a 1/5 favourite to get the Bristol Rovers managers job.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:48 pm

Tisdale confirmed as the Bristol Rovers manager today.

Irritatingly, that looks to be quite a good appointment for them.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:31 am

Darlogramps wrote:Tisdale confirmed as the Bristol Rovers manager today.

The timing of the Swindon one was better as they were left without an experienced manager. This has the potential for there to be the new manager boost that sometimes happens. I’m sure we can cause they problems though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:24 am

Well at least we will have a new striker available for this game, it's the return of a certain striker today.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:14 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:48 pm
Tisdale confirmed as the Bristol Rovers manager today.

I agree longer term, did a really good job at Exeter from what I remember?

I think the timing of the game means they will run on new manager fumes regardless of who it was.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:00 am

It doesn't matter who Bristol rovers manager is Darlington go there with a plan. Darlington play to their strengths quick passes through the field while we have the ball,,be on top of their players harass them into making bad decisions when they have the ball. I see a win coming .we have got to be better than them and put away the chances that we create.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:19 pm

Rovers slipped into the bottom four today after a defeat by Swindon... a performance that left their fans in a rage.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:01 am

I was speaking to a club secretary yesterday. It sounds like 4,000 fans for PL clubs will lose them more money than they are now given the fixed costs if hosting any spectators.

It's an even stranger dynamic now for the FA Cup 3rd round that drawing a big PL club away will actually bring in less money than the same fixture at home as the losses will be split by the clubs which could take up a chunk of any TV money.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:30 am

Looking forward to this one with a real sense of excitement. Still massive underdogs but not no hopers by any means.
Interesting to see that the 3 teams from NLN who have made it to Round 2 are all struggling with their league form. Brackley and Chorley both only won 1 out of 7 and below us in the table. So not just us who are finding it difficult to balance the two and keep their form going into league games. Expect all three teams to start climbing the NLN in the future.
On to Sunday and fortunately it looks like AA will have some tough decisions on team selection to make with Hunt McMahon and Hatfield all hopefully fit. Not sure if Liddle and Holness will be available but if not the team may line up as follows.

Saltmer
McMahon Hunt Laing. Watson
Wheatley. Hatfield. Atkinson
Rivers. Charman. Campbell

Subs Minter Storey Hudson Reid Maguire O’Neill

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:44 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:30 am
Looking forward to this one with a real sense of excitement. Still massive underdogs but not no hopers by any means.
Interesting to see that the 3 teams from NLN who have made it to Round 2 are all struggling with their league form. Brackley and Chorley both only won 1 out of 7 and below us in the table. So not just us who are finding it difficult to balance the two and keep their form going into league games. Expect all three teams to start climbing the NLN in the future.
On to Sunday and fortunately it looks like AA will have some tough decisions on team selection to make with Hunt McMahon and Hatfield all hopefully fit. Not sure if Liddle and Holness will be available but if not the team may line up as follows.

Saltmer
McMahon Hunt Laing. Watson
Wheatley. Hatfield. Atkinson
Rivers. Charman. Campbell

Subs Minter Storey Hudson Reid Maguire O’Neill
Pretty sure that Liddle will not.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:46 pm

I'm excited for the day, but can't help think we are coming into this game with lots of niggles and injuries.

Sounds like Liddle is out, Holness could be (if he is starting he won't be fully fit), Hatfield has a knock, Mcmahon has been suffered from shin splints, charman has carried an injury, Maguire picked up an injury. This is the only ones we are aware of.

Lets hope that this doesn't effect anything and I'm just been over pedantic

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:30 pm

Look to Chorley as an example to follow - 20th in our league knocking out 2nd in League 1 away.

We CAN do it tomorrow...let's do this! :thumbup:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"