Darlington V Telford

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

AndyPark
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Telford

Post by AndyPark » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:56 pm

Fuck did he say to them at half-time? Absolutely awful.

Get Atkinson, Reid and Laing out for the next game.
Bring Wheatley, Holness back and stick Watson at centre back for the Guiseley game on Tuesday.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:57 pm

Teams seem to havr us completely sussed out at the moment.

He hasn't had much time so far, but I'm yet to see what maguire is going to bring

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:59 pm

Cannot think of a single player who played well, Souza was the only bright spark, Laing and Storey is an accident waiting to happen, Atkinson and Reid non existent,Campbell had a stinker and this is an awful start to the season.Over to you AA.....worrying times.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:59 pm

Three points out of 15 then. Home games are obviously different in Covid times but bloody hell that was a hard watch and a long and very different season in front of us. Sousa was good and I thought Campbell was alright first half. Good to see Hatfield back playing and erm . . that's it

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:02 pm

That was a thoroughly awful second half. Ineffective up front and vulnerable at the back at times. We could really do with some scruffy, battling points (never mind the tippy-tappy stuff) before it ends up a season of struggle in the league.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:04 pm

Got to admit, when I saw the midfield three of Reid, Atkinson and Hatfield, I was a little concerned.

Not much creativity or attacking flair in there. As others have said, our best three is Hatfield, Holness and Wheatley.

Up front, he’s not yet found the balance or right combination. I’d personally say Sousa, Charman and Campbell (when all are fit of course).

Bit harsh to be singling Maguire out though, given he’s only had one start after a bad 12 months of injuries for him.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Jersequaker

Post by Jersequaker » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:10 pm

Why not try a third substitute with 15 minutes to go, Hudson?

bga

Post by bga » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:10 pm

So we get a corner about 3 minutes from full-time the ball gets cleared to the edge of the area to Laing who then turns and passes it all the way back to the centre circle. How are we supposed to score from there! Really poor performance. Is the Cup distracting players and staff alike?

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:12 pm

The way we worked to press and close down the opposition at Swindon was a million miles away from how we've been the last couple of games. Standing off the opposition and making life easy for them while they are working to press us all the time.
Last edited by Yarblockos on Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:12 pm

Just repeat my words after Boston. Outfought, no physicality and actually don’t Look as fit as the opposition. Every second half we fade out of the game. Not rocket science how to beat us it is, be physical, press us and watch out for the little one twos around the edge of box.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:19 pm

Good first half playing some great football, but again weak in front of goal.

Second half very poor. Reid looked tired second half and should have been replaced by Holness?. Rivers struggled all game to be effective I thought. Campbell was busy and still had legs so I was surprised he was replaced by Maguire who hardly touched the ball.

It may be that AA is trying to be loyal to some players, and to be honest they do need game time.

Thought Atkinson had a good game, and Headley would have been my man of the match, with Sousa second choice, (he looks a good find).

Think I will have to review my view of outcome for the season, I thought we would be there or there about for the play off's, (but not automatic promotion), but think given the start and this game against an average team, (imo), we may be top half but not quite play off. Early I know to be sure, but deapth of squad not as strong as I thought and a few injuries and we could struggle.

I am still going to enjoy the season though :D
Last edited by 50 years on Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:21 pm

50 years wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:19 pm
Good first half playing some great football, but again weak in front of goal.

Second half very poor. Ried looked tired second half and should have been replaced by Holness?. Rivers struggled all game to be effective I thought. Campbell was busy and still had legs so I was surprised he was replaced by Maguire who hardly touched the ball.

It may be that AA is trying to be loyal to some players, and to be honest they do need game time.

Thought Armstrong had a good game, and Headley would have been my man of the match, with Sousa second choice, (he looks a good find).

Think I will have to review my view of outcome for the season, I thought we would be there or there about for the play off's, (but not automatic promotion), but think given the start and this game against an average team, (imo), we may be top half but not quite play off. Early I know to be sure, but deapth of squad not as strong as I thought and a few injuries and we could struggle.

I am still going to enjoy the season though :D
Who is Armstrong?

darlobaz791

Post by darlobaz791 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:21 pm

Agree with Hedley on MOTM and Sousa as second. Campbell and Hatfield only others with any credit today

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:22 pm

Cool Heads ,BUT , you have got to question that, why oh why does AA Persist with Reid , not blaming Reid, but he's played every game, i think , why!
I get so angry when to me its so obvious , that yes he's ok but over and above the likes of Holness .
AA needs to look at his selection on ....not on .............................
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:23 pm

That’s a bad result. I don’t like the structure of the team again today, and I agree with the above, Reid isn’t right there. I think the best he played for us was makeshift roles supporting strikers. I think he’s a good squad player also, but he shouldn’t be playing regularly ahead of any of Hatfield, Holness or Wheatley.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:27 pm

AA got his midfield totally wrong today as Gramps said, has to be Omar and Wheatley over Atkinson and Reid any day of the week.Maguire had no service at all but confident he will come good.Storey and Laing at the back is a big concern, their opening goal was a joke and these 2 were at fault.Badly missed Charman , far too predictable around the box and no physical presence to put any crosses in.Nicky Hunt was a massive miss but that 2nd half performance has shocked a lot of Darlo fans.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:31 pm

Well that wasn't much fun to watch second half.

First things first, and most importantly we won't win games giving away the two goals we did today. We invite pressure onto ourselves at the back by failing to win the first header and take control of the situation. On the ball I actually thought Laing did okay. Took the ball up into midfield multiple times and too their forwards out of the game in terms of the press. But off it was responsible for the first goal and nearly gifted them more with some slips and trips, principly those CBs are there to stop things and we gave away too absolute gifts today from not being tight enough and making poor decisions.

Didn't particularly like the look of our midfield from the teamsheet today, not quite enough energy in there. Dare I say it, even Hatfield looked less effective without his usual midfield foil in Wheatley. Thought Atkinson looked fine first half, certainly tired second and needed to be subbed. Not Reid's best game for us and again he looked dead on his feet later into the game. No idea why he wasn't subbed earlier.

Upfront Charman is no doubt a massive piece of the puzzle for us. But when he's not available we need to have a physical cf we can play instead. We have Levi, I'm not sure if he is or isn't answer, we haven't seen much of him. But if he isn't Alun needs to move him on and look elsewhere. We worked the ball into wide positions so many times today with nothing to hit in the centre when the ball came in. Both wide players went missing second half and yet we didn't give Hudson a chance to show what he could do.

Need a result and performance mid-week to prove what we're really about.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:34 pm

Have to admit I was surprised to see Reid starting to today after his performance on Tuesday night and I was equally as surprised to see him play the full 90 again today. It’s clear we worry about what taking his height out of the team will do to us.

Laing has to come out on Tuesday, put Watson or Atkinson in his place with Wheatley, Hatfield & Holness as the midfield 3.
Last edited by Darlofan97 on Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:35 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:27 pm
AA got his midfield totally wrong today as Gramps said, has to be Omar and Wheatley over Atkinson and Reid any day of the week.Maguire had no service at all but confident he will come good.Storey and Laing at the back is a big concern, their opening goal was a joke and these 2 were at fault.Badly missed Charman , far too predictable around the box and no physical presence to put any crosses in.Nicky Hunt was a massive miss but that 2nd half performance has shocked a lot of Darlo fans.

Atkinson didn’t do badly at all, he played the Wheatley position well.

The biggest problem today were the two centre-halves behind him and a midfielder in-front of him that kept on giving the ball away.

darlosince65

Post by darlosince65 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:08 pm

Today was a really bad day at the office . Armstrong urgently needs to decide his best 11 and formation and stick to it To many changes are killing this team. In my opinion he needs to build his team around Hedley, Storey, Wheatley, Hatfield, Holness, Campbell and Charman.

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:10 pm

JE93 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:31 pm
Well that wasn't much fun to watch second half.

First things first, and most importantly we won't win games giving away the two goals we did today. We invite pressure onto ourselves at the back by failing to win the first header and take control of the situation. On the ball I actually thought Laing did okay. Took the ball up into midfield multiple times and too their forwards out of the game in terms of the press. But off it was responsible for the first goal and nearly gifted them more with some slips and trips, principly those CBs are there to stop things and we gave away too absolute gifts today from not being tight enough and making poor decisions.

Didn't particularly like the look of our midfield from the teamsheet today, not quite enough energy in there. Dare I say it, even Hatfield looked less effective without his usual midfield foil in Wheatley. Thought Atkinson looked fine first half, certainly tired second and needed to be subbed. Not Reid's best game for us and again he looked dead on his feet later into the game. No idea why he wasn't subbed earlier.

Upfront Charman is no doubt a massive piece of the puzzle for us. But when he's not available we need to have a physical cf we can play instead. We have Levi, I'm not sure if he is or isn't answer, we haven't seen much of him. But if he isn't Alun needs to move him on and look elsewhere. We worked the ball into wide positions so many times today with nothing to hit in the centre when the ball came in. Both wide players went missing second half and yet we didn't give Hudson a chance to show what he could do.

Need a result and performance mid-week to prove what we're really about.
Good summary.
However, some credit must go to the Telford management for their improved second half rather than just looking for things we did wrong.
They took Souza and Rivers out of the game after the break.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:13 pm

Well what a week that has been. Last Saturday we pulled off the best result in our recent history and even an old git like me was genuinely thrilled. Since then two poor home performances resulting in defeats and a life threatening injury to Nicky Hunt which thankfully turned out ok.
We live in crazy times and but let’s try to keep some perspective on the football side of things. Our league start has been disappointing but we have won 4 cup matches and made some decent money along the way and have a televised cup game against Bristol Rovers coming up. Our club is well run behind the scenes and we are in a strong financial position moving forward.
The curse of the cup run has struck again but plenty of time to put things right.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:16 pm

We can't play the same team every week due to the amount of matches. We have to rotate. Our cup run has exacerbated this, but if I'm honest I'd rather have the cup run. 100k in a season of financial uncertainty is a godsend. We look like what we are, a team who can't play together yet and a team with some players who aren't yet fully fit. This is going to be a strange season, and as Stod said, it won't be a level playing field this season as teams will have more of a rest than others from time to time due to Covid. We can't train twice a week which we need to due to the amount of games. The injuries at the start hammered us too and we're still feeling the effects of that. This year more than ever the full time teams and hybrid teams with bigger squads will benefit. I think in time our form will pick up and we'll be more effective as a squad. Will it be too late in the league by then?

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:17 pm

Disappointing yes but still very early days

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:17 pm

:think: I wasn't able to see the game today but it sounds like it was another frustrating experience. I wonder if there might be a problem with no supporters present. The Meadows must be a cheerless place to play and the team has done so much better in unfamiliar settings at Curzon and Swindon and, I believe, they'll do well at Bristol. We've got the makings of a good side so I don't worry. I agree with most of the other postings about the goalkeeper - give him time but get the defence in front of him organised now. I would also like to see MaGuire showing what he can do.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:18 pm

Bristol Rovers have just sacked their manager... we've put a curse on some of these bosses :shock:

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:25 pm

Everyone is seeing the same thing, not physical enough, not sure of best team even if all were fit, too predictable, not fit enough and no plan B when we get closed down. The only game we have played well in league was at Curzon but they just sat off us and gave us time to play.
Given we had little physical presence on Tuesday why wasn’t Levi even on the bench. At least we could have launched it or got crosses in later in game knowing we had a “physical” presence.
I would love to think that the AA way of playing nice to watch one touch football will work but not sure it will at thIs level and on pitches which aren’t great. Hope he proves me completely wrong.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:30 pm

[quote=bga post_id=469603 time=1605374472 us
Who is Armstrong?
[/quote]

Meant Atkinson :oops:
Also miss spelt Reid :oops:

Changed now

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:40 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:25 pm
Everyone is seeing the same thing, not physical enough, not sure of best team even if all were fit, too predictable, not fit enough and no plan B when we get closed down. The only game we have played well in league was at Curzon but they just sat off us and gave us time to play.
Given we had little physical presence on Tuesday why wasn’t Levi even on the bench. At least we could have launched it or got crosses in later in game knowing we had a “physical” presence.
I would love to think that the AA way of playing nice to watch one touch football will work but not sure it will at thIs level and on pitches which aren’t great. Hope he proves me completely wrong.
This league does seem to be changing and it seems harder for good football teams to play. Think teams have wised up how to counteract our style of play and we need to work out how to overcome this.
Could we become the first team to be relegated from NLN and win the FA Cup in the same season?

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:43 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:16 pm
We can't play the same team every week due to the amount of matches. We have to rotate.
We have played nine games in six weeks. We've had busier starts to a season.

We do not have to rotate yet.

When we are flirting with the relegation zone, we should be playing our strongest available team. And that does not include Reid.