Guiseley v Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Ghost_Of_1883
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Guiseley v Darlington

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:00 pm

Should have finished about 8 or 9-0 to us. The woodwork, their keeper and a couple of misses from Campbell kept the score line a bit more respectable.

That they got a goal is almost a crime against football.

bga

Post by bga » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:01 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:58 pm
Great performance against limited opposition, thought Hatfield had a great game in midfield. Excellent coverage although some replays would have been good.
That may be one of the limitations of watching live on YouTube not the Club's fault.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:16 pm

How crazy is this league Curzon Ashton beat Fylde tonight Leamington beat alfreton 43 after being two down Chorley won at Telford and Kidderminster harriers at brackley I think the world's greatest fortune teller would struggle to predict some of the results.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:28 pm

Mister e wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:16 pm
How crazy is this league Curzon Ashton beat Fylde tonight Leamington beat alfreton 43 after being two down Chorley won at Telford and Kidderminster harriers at brackley I think the world's greatest fortune teller would struggle to predict some of the results.
Alfreton were 3-0 up at Leamington and lost 4-3. Must feel massively deflated, wonder how they'll react on Saturday. Guiseley were awful tonight but at last we showed the pressing we'd lacked at home. Our set-up seems much more suited to playing away where we have more space to exploit our pace and teams don't sit so deep. 7 goals for and 2 against away. 2 goals for and 7 against at home!

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:37 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:28 pm
Mister e wrote:
Alfreton were 3-0 up at Leamington and lost 4-3. Must feel massively deflated, wonder how they'll react on Saturday. Guiseley were awful tonight but at last we showed the pressing we'd lacked at home. Our set-up seems much more suited to playing away where we have more space to exploit our pace and teams don't sit so deep. 7 goals for and 2 against away. 2 goals for and 7 against at home!
I wonder how alfreton will respond to that calamity when we face them on Saturday I hope we're on our guard from the word go.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:54 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Mister e wrote:
I think this is true, and we really do struggle to break teams down at home.

This is something that’s stretched back for several seasons too. Like you say, we just need that extra creativity to break down deeper-lying teams at home.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:59 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:34 pm
So Guiseley will either be refreshed or ring rusty as it will be 3 weeks since their last game.
They were really ring-rusty as it turned out, whereas we looked properly match sharp. No Kaine Felix was a bonus too.

I thought their pitch looked very bobbly considering how little football's been played on it so far.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:01 pm

Great win. They looked sluggish all over the pitch and you could tell we had played more games. Wheatley and Hatfield first class. That is definitely our best midfield three but I guess we probably knew that already. I also love Sousa. Always looks like making something happen and a superb assist and goal.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:05 pm

bga wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:01 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:58 pm
Great performance against limited opposition, thought Hatfield had a great game in midfield. Excellent coverage although some replays would have been good.
That may be one of the limitations of watching live on YouTube not the Club's fault.
I’m no technical wiz , but I just push the time back, and watched the goal again.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:16 pm

Everyone played their part tonight but Wheatley ran the midfield with help from Hatfield. Maguire’s confidence should be improved. Hunt, Storey, Charman etc not involved tonight so more quality to come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:28 pm

Thought we.put in a pretty solid performance. Didn't look overly troubled throughout and scoring 4 away is always good to see. Knit picking would be not making the most of some of the other guilt edged chances and a couple more injuries. I think Minter did ok, didn't have much to do but blotted his copybook a bit with his rush of blood conceding the free kick for their goal at the end. Sousa has the potential to be something else but maybe that's why he hasn't made it yet, work rate and skill in abundance but quite often over did things or didn't play the simple pass, however took his goal brilliantly and set up Maguire - a flair player. Overall it was a very good win away at a side who like us are just struggling a bit to get going but should be fine in the end.

Also loved the Guiseley commentary and being done by the Phil Mckrakin gag! :thumbup:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:33 am

D_F_C wrote:Everyone played their part tonight but Wheatley ran the midfield with help from Hatfield. Maguire’s confidence should be improved. Hunt, Storey, Charman etc not involved tonight so more quality to come back.

It’d be interesting to see if Armstrong ever tries to put Charman and Maguire together as a pair.

I’m not so sure they’d work in a three, but playing two up front would mean changing the midfield three which seems to work really well for us.

Given we’ve got a ridiculously busy schedule until next month, and then Christmas not long after, most players will get a run out, and there’ll be plenty of rotation because of injuries and fatigue.

Once the fixture list settles down though it’d be interesting to see what Alun views as his strongest XI.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:44 am

Darlogramps wrote:
D_F_C wrote:Everyone played their part tonight but Wheatley ran the midfield with help from Hatfield. Maguire’s confidence should be improved. Hunt, Storey, Charman etc not involved tonight so more quality to come back.

It’d be interesting to see if Armstrong ever tries to put Charman and Maguire together as a pair.

I’m not so sure they’d work in a three, but playing two up front would mean changing the midfield three which seems to work really well for us.

Given we’ve got a ridiculously busy schedule until next month, and then Christmas not long after, most players will get a run out, and there’ll be plenty of rotation because of injuries and fatigue.

Once the fixture list settles down though it’d be interesting to see what Alun views as his strongest XI.
Yes there seems pros and cons. If you play 4-4-2 does that mean you can only play 2 of Charman, Campbell and Maguire. Also 2 of Wheatley, Hatfield and Holness. But the 4-4-2 worked well against curzon.

It’s a good problem to have though!

Looking at the rest of the fixtures this calendar year (up to the Spenny game) they look a lot more winnable

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:58 am

As the saying goes, you can only beat the team in front of you, so nice to see us take the points off an injury weakened, ring rusty Guiseley. AA took his chance to play a couple of players & rotate the team, happily the new lads fitted in well although we only took half of our chances & didn't keep a clean sheet.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:07 am

Much more like it compared to Saturday, much better energy and shape about us. As others have said Wheatley ran that game. Even after a ridiculous yellow card he was first into every tackle. More like it for Hatfield too tonight. Front 3 deserve lots of credit they couldn't handle the movement, sousa was bright especially second half. Really happy for Maguire, that first goal would always be important but I'm even happier with his second, peeling off the CB and sliding the ball in at the back post. Thats where we've been missing someone last season and sometimes early this, some one with the mind set of knowing where they have to go to score tap ins. he still has some fitness to find but tonight I think we properly saw what he's about. Big credit to Watson tonight too, his first game of the season and he cantered through it very comfortably. I said before I doubted Atkinson at CB but I thought when he came on he was good and aggressive into the challenge.

Shame about the goal conceded. Not really sure what was going though Minters head there. Great length on his kicking but no more accurate than Saltmer and in that showing wasn't noticeably different.

Tough game coming up on Saturday against Alfreton, we all know what Billy Heath is about and how he has them playing. Awful result for them tonight to go from 3-0 to 4-3. Need another big performance, keep the ball on the deck and use our pace to get Heath's giants turned and running towards their own goal.

Jersequaker

Post by Jersequaker » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:06 am

Thought their commentators were good and funny.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:09 am

Darlogramps wrote:

Could work with a diamond in midfield - Sousa in the #10 role with freedom to roam behind, but you'd need fullbacks who were capable of getting up and down the pitch to provide the width. Not sure we have that on the right hand side at the moment.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:48 am

Special mention to Louis Lang for a very good solid performance bearing in mind his confidence will have been shot after the stick he received from Saturday.On that display he could well form a partnership with Nicky Hunt when he returns over Alec Storey. Also Jordan Watson played well at CB as well as LB and on that performance has to keep his place.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:49 am

Meant Laing not Lang.....predictive.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:21 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:48 am
Special mention to Louis Lang for a very good solid performance bearing in mind his confidence will have been shot after the stick he received from Saturday.On that display he could well form a partnership with Nicky Hunt when he returns over Alec Storey. Also Jordan Watson played well at CB as well as LB and on that performance has to keep his place.

Indeed. The stick Laing got last weekend was ridiculous. It was his first game for something like eight months.

If one of our fan favourites had played like that in their first game for eight months, the comments would have been 'rusty', 'settling back in', 'he'll be fine after a couple of games'.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:31 am

Great result and a really positive performance. The pressing and energy kept them penned in their own half for long periods. Minter made a great save near the end but also had that rush of blood so interesting to see who will be in nets next. Coverage was good but shows how brilliant Quaker tv is-their commentators were fun and made the watch even more enjoyable.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:32 am

Strange game last night. Can’t remember us dominating a game like that for a long time. Not getting too carried away because they were awful but even though they had a big physical advantage over us we bossed them all over the park. Great to see Dan Maguire looking a threat and delighted with his two goals but it was an excellent team performance. Just need to replicate that kind of energy and work rate at Blackwell and we can climb up the league.

Mick

Post by Mick » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:50 am

Old Git wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:32 am
Strange game last night. Can’t remember us dominating a game like that for a long time. Not getting too carried away because they were awful but even though they had a big physical advantage over us we bossed them all over the park. Great to see Dan Maguire looking a threat and delighted with his two goals but it was an excellent team performance. Just need to replicate that kind of energy and work rate at Blackwell and we can climb up the league.
Didn't look too dissimilar to the Swindon scalping to me.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:00 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:28 pm
Thought we.put in a pretty solid performance. Didn't look overly troubled throughout and scoring 4 away is always good to see. Knit picking would be not making the most of some of the other guilt edged chances and a couple more injuries. I think Minter did ok, didn't have much to do but blotted his copybook a bit with his rush of blood conceding the free kick for their goal at the end. Sousa has the potential to be something else but maybe that's why he hasn't made it yet, work rate and skill in abundance but quite often over did things or didn't play the simple pass, however took his goal brilliantly and set up Maguire - a flair player. Overall it was a very good win away at a side who like us are just struggling a bit to get going but should be fine in the end.

Also loved the Guiseley commentary and being done by the Phil Mckrakin gag! :thumbup:
Very fair summary of Sousa, he gives the ball away a bit too much for me, maybe that will improve with confidence.

Also thought the coverage and commentary were superb, hope everyone who watch chipped in at least a Fiver.

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:15 am

Yeah, the commentators were good value, to the point where they could call us 'Hartlepool' and I didn't really care - although it probably helped that we were absolutely cruising by that point :D

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:09 am

bga wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:24 pm
Others may disagree but I think he has only had a good 45 minutes in each of his previous two games so at least he's consistent! Then again what do I know about football.
Your right what do you know, Sousa was at it all game, he's absolutely brilliant and more to come from the lad, I personally think he is being watched by scouting fraternity, I think he makes a difference quality always shines through. Laing was very good as well didn't miss anything.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:27 am

onewayup wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:09 am
bga wrote:
Others may disagree but I think he has only had a good 45 minutes in each of his previous two games so at least he's consistent! Then again what do I know about football.
Your right what do you know, Sousa was at it all game, he's absolutely brilliant and more to come from the lad, I personally think he is being watched by scouting fraternity, I think he makes a difference quality always shines through. Laing was very good as well didn't miss anything.
I stand by what I said about his first two appearances, and I think he was quiet in first half last night. Second half different story.... let's move on and see if he can be consistent.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:28 am

Sousa has incredible feet - there was one move not long after our first goal where he got in the box and for all the world looked like he'd square it to Campbell for a relative tap-in (and he should have done) but instead he did a little side step and had a go himself - ball ended up falling to Campbell at the back post and he volleyed it wide.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

bga

Post by bga » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:40 am

Spyman wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:28 am
Sousa has incredible feet - there was one move not long after our first goal where he got in the box and for all the world looked like he'd square it to Campbell for a relative tap-in (and he should have done) but instead he did a little side step and had a go himself - ball ended up falling to Campbell at the back post and he volleyed it wide.

Possible appearance on next year's Strictly Come Dancing following Trots appearance on Love Island?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:20 pm

bga wrote:
onewayup wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:09 am
bga wrote:
I stand by what I said about his first two appearances, and I think he was quiet in first half last night. Second half different story.... let's move on and see if he can be consistent.
The thing I like about Sousa is he’s really different to anything we’ve got, and when he’s able to run at people, it will terrify defenders in this division.

Last couple of matches I’ve wondered whether his end product is his weakness. His pace and dribbling ability will worry defenders, and clearly he has great skill. However he got an assist and a goal last night, so maybe that aspect of his game will come together.

I think you’re right in the sense that there are times he’ll go quiet, particularly if defences don’t allow him that space with the ball at his feet. But for me, the ability he has when he does get going more than makes up for that.