Alfreton...

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

LoidLucan
Team Supported: Darlington

Alfreton...

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:46 am

It will be a real contrast in styles and the one thing we'll have to be is physically strong. Billy Heath's still foaming at the mouth at the way they lost to Leamington 4-3 after being 3-0 up at half-time. They are a massive, long ball side, led up front by 6ft 3in beast Jake Day and they'll try to bully us out of it. We'll have to be up for that and then pick them off with our passing game because they're not the most nimble of sides. Tin hats (and shin pads) on!

Ghost_Of_1883

Re: Alfreton...

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:02 pm

We will destroy these clogging fuckers. 6-0 no problem.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:49 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:46 am
It will be a real contrast in styles and the one thing we'll have to be is physically strong. Billy Heath's still foaming at the mouth at the way they lost to Leamington 4-3 after being 3-0 up at half-time. They are a massive, long ball side, led up front by 6ft 3in beast Jake Day and they'll try to bully us out of it. We'll have to be up for that and then pick them off with our passing game because they're not the most nimble of sides. Tin hats (and shin pads) on!
To be fair we battered Guiseley and we were a team of midgets compared to them - I dont think they will be able to handle our pace.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:16 pm

As long as we start on the front foot I think alfreton will be chasing shadows ,yes they are a big lump it up brutal side ,but our passing game if we're on it will overcome there bruising lump it game. :thumbup:

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:26 pm

I saw the highlights and the big lad day and the other striker (Reeves I think it was) looked handy. Have to be intelligent but I'm confident we can get all three.

The biggest shame is that we can't play the midfield 3 of Wheatley, Hatfield and Holness.

I'd go:

Minter

Mcmahon
Watson
Laing
Storey

Wheatley
Hatfield
Reid/Hedley/Atkinson

Campbell
Maguire
Sousa

Can't decide whether I'd want Reid in for his height (although Reid doesn't fit in a 4-3-3 as much as a 4-2-3-1), or Atkinson for his defensive style, or Hedley for a bit of quickness. Great options to have.

darlobaz791

Post by darlobaz791 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:42 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:26 pm
I saw the highlights and the big lad day and the other striker (Reeves I think it was) looked handy. Have to be intelligent but I'm confident we can get all three.

The biggest shame is that we can't play the midfield 3 of Wheatley, Hatfield and Holness.

I'd go:

Minter

Mcmahon
Watson
Laing
Storey

Wheatley
Hatfield
Reid/Hedley/Atkinson

Campbell
Maguire
Sousa

Can't decide whether I'd want Reid in for his height (although Reid doesn't fit in a 4-3-3 as much as a 4-2-3-1), or Atkinson for his defensive style, or Hedley for a bit of quickness. Great options to have.
Is Holness definitely out?
I’d be tempted to start as we finished the other night but maybe Reid in if Holness doesn’t make it. You might want Reid at CH and Atkinson in CM for Reid’s height. I’d leave Maguire in when he’s just started scoring too

Minter

McMahon or Hedley
Atkinson or Reid
Laing
Watson

Hatfield
Wheatley
Holness (or Atkinson or Reid)

Sousa
Campbell
Maguire

Saltmer, Hudson, Storey, Rivers, O’Neill

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:31 pm

We all know what to expect from Billy Heath's Alfreton. A quick watch of their loss to Leamington tells you all you need to know. A team full of giants, very direct. The size of Jake Day their CF, Laing and Storey will need to stand tall against him. Across the pitch we've got to be brave in possession, keep the ball down and resist the temptation to go long. Use our pace to get them turned and chasing us, if we do that we can put them in trouble draw them into some fouls, out some of their players onto yellow cards and perhaps give ourselves a little more room to play.

For me I'd bring Saltmer back in, he hasn't made any mistakes leading to goals Minter did, other than a longer kick (which wasn't any more accurate) don't see what else Minter offered us. If Storey is fit, I'd bring him back in, was happy with what Atkinson did on Tuesday but Storey is more natural in that position and played well there last year. Expect Liddle to be out for a while so Watson moves to LB. Expect Holness to be out so have brought in Reid, his height will probably help against the giants too. Toughest decision was at CF, have gone for O'Neill bit of extra physicality to allow us to hold the ball up and play off, harsh to drop Magure but I'd rather he come on for 30 minutes against tired defenders with his movement than him be kicked from pilar to post for 60.

------------------------- Saltmer -----------------------
Mcmahon --- Laing --- Storey --- Watson
------- Hatfield --- Wheatley --- Reid ---------
------- Sousa ------ O'Neill ----- Campbell ---

Subs: Minter, Atkinson, Hedley, Rivers, Maguire

Left Charman off the bench even if he passes a late fitness test, want him fully recovered from that ankle injury ready for Bristol Rovers next weekend. Would take the same approach with Holness rather let him miss one or two games and get back fit than risk losing him for a longer period.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:44 pm

darlobaz791 wrote:
D_F_C wrote:

I'd go:

Minter

Mcmahon
Watson
Laing
Storey

Wheatley
Hatfield
Reid/Hedley/Atkinson

Campbell
Maguire
Sousa

I’d be tempted to start as we finished the other night but maybe Reid in if Holness doesn’t make it. You might want Reid at CH and Atkinson in CM for Reid’s height. I’d leave Maguire in when he’s just started scoring too

Minter

McMahon or Hedley
Atkinson or Reid
Laing
Watson

Hatfield
Wheatley

Sousa
Campbell
Maguire

The NEN preview from Stod suggested he was out.

I’d go for Minter purely because of height and if I’m being slightly critical then Saltmer might not be as good as catching...and I expect Alfreton to have the ball in the air a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:54 pm

D_F_C wrote:
darlobaz791 wrote:
D_F_C wrote:

I'd go:

Minter

Mcmahon
Watson
Laing
Storey

Wheatley
Hatfield
Reid/Hedley/Atkinson

Campbell
Maguire
Sousa

Minter

McMahon or Hedley
Atkinson or Reid
Laing
Watson

Hatfield
Wheatley

Sousa
Campbell
Maguire

The NEN preview from Stod suggested he was out.

I’d go for Minter purely because of height and if I’m being slightly critical then Saltmer might not be as good as catching...and I expect Alfreton to have the ball in the air a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’d go Minter as well. It’s pretty harsh to criticise Minter off the back of one game in my opinion, particularly his first. Yes he made a pretty bad error which led to a goal, fully accept that.

But he’ll need a run of games to build up sharpness. And I think his greater height may well be more effective against the physical presence of Alfreton.

Could be wrong of course, but I said some of the criticism Saltmer received was unfair after a handful of games so I think it’s only fair Minter gets an opportunity.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:48 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:46 am
Billy Heath's still foaming at the mouth at the way they lost to Leamington 4-3 after being 3-0 up at half-time.
The sideshow of Billy losing his s*** on the touchline for ninety minutes would be both entertaining in itself and also hopefully a sign that we were frustrating them with our liquid football.

Prediction: Ty to wind them up with his ball retention and drag backs (with Alfreton getting two men sent off as a result) and Darlo to end up cruising to a 3-0 win. Happy days.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:49 am

I think we’re being a bit over-confident for a team that has only kept 2 clean sheets in 10!

We played some brilliant stuff on Tuesday night but let’s not get too over-confident, as equally as Tuesday was good, this time last week was equally as bad!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:35 am

Darlofan97 wrote:I think we’re being a bit over-confident for a team that has only kept 2 clean sheets in 10!

We played some brilliant stuff on Tuesday night but let’s not get too over-confident, as equally as Tuesday was good, this time last week was equally as bad!
This all day long. We've been bullied out of games by physical sides more than enough times to make me very nervous about today.

We'll either demolish them or we'll put in (to coin a phrase) a pea-hearted performance and be swept aside. I can't see it being a close game either way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:38 am

0-0 draw then :D

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:45 pm

What time does the live start?anyone

feethamslad

Post by feethamslad » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:48 pm

It's live now (14:48). They put static adverts up every now and then.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:00 pm

dfcdfcdfc wrote:0-0 draw then :D
Actually quite a close game in the end, so I called that wrong! They were just starting to get back into it when we scored our second.

Credit to Louis Laing, terrific block a couple of minutes before we doubled our lead - that could've been a game changing moment.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:03 pm

Nice to see us keep playing football & a clean sheet against a big team (of cloggers)

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:24 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:49 am
I think we’re being a bit over-confident for a team that has only kept 2 clean sheets in 10!

Yes but Boston just have quality and experience running through that squad, and Alfreton are shite.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:25 pm

Spyman wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:00 pm
Actually quite a close game in the end, so I called that wrong! They were just starting to get back into it when we scored our second.

Credit to Louis Laing, terrific block a couple of minutes before we doubled our lead - that could've been a game changing moment.

As usual we should have been out of sight before Laing had to make that block, but yes the boy done well.

As did Atkinson, Watson and Reid.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:32 pm

Laing was very good again today, man of match today Wheatley for me,

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:47 pm

One thing I don't understand is why Wheatley pulls out of those 50/50 tackles :D. Bet the Alfreton players are still shaking from that crunching double... I know I am!
Last edited by LoidLucan on Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:58 pm

Laing getting good reviews and rightly so but think Atkinson done equally as well in last two games. Showing why AA rates him so highly, his distribution and reading of the game was first class.
Let’s have a win at Blackwell now.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:59 pm

:thumbup: Just one look at today's results and I know it's gonna be a lovely day lovely day at Bristol next week.
Who got beat by Swindon. Apologies to Bill(y Heath) Withers. It's down to ourselves and Pools again to provide the region's soccer skill.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:02 pm

Wiseacre wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:59 pm
:thumbup: Just one look at today's results and I know it's gonna be a lovely day lovely day at Bristol next week.
Who got beat by Swindon. Apologies to Bill(y Heath) Withers. It's down to ourselves and Pools again to provide the region's soccer skill.
For any Glen Campbell fans out there how about "Alfreton oh Alfreton......"

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:24 pm

Very good result again against another tough side. Great to see Sousa on the score sheet again and another assist and Campbell hitting the goal trail as well. Defence looks quite settled at the moment without Hunt and Storey which will give AA another headache, with a clean sheet for good measure.

Seems like we have the right balance playing away from home which is curious just hope we can start producing that at home soon. So on this subject I'll throw this out there, but does anyone think we'd have benefitted more from playing at the Arena than Blackwell for home matches in terms of playing style and atmosphere in the current climate, it just seems to me that they don't seem as comfortable at Blackwell and more so without supporters or do you think it has no effect? :think:

Anyway glad to see us climbing the table and getting on a bit of a run, on to Bradford PA at Blackwell Tuesday! :thumbup:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:45 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:24 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:49 am

Yes but Boston just have quality and experience running through that squad, and Alfreton are shite.
I was talking about our performance against Telford.

Regardless, we put in a really good performance today and Alfreton’s style of football is horrendous. We played similar under Gray with Beck but at least we had some good footballers in there.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:23 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Spyman wrote:

As usual we should have been out of sight before Laing had to make that block, but yes the boy done well.

Oh absolutely, I wasn't singling him out above any others - the whole defence looked solid, as did the midfield in front of them. Campbell and Sousa provided no end of threat on the break.

Minter as well I thought dealt with pretty much everything that came his way, despite what their co-commentator said.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:27 pm

Spyman wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:23 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Spyman wrote:

Oh absolutely, I wasn't singling him out above any others - the whole defence looked solid, as did the midfield in front of them. Campbell and Sousa provided no end of threat on the break.

Minter as well I thought dealt with pretty much everything that came his way, despite what their co-commentator said.

Their co-commentator was a spanner, he was so annoying.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:47 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:24 pm
Very good result again against another tough side. Great to see Sousa on the score sheet again and another assist and Campbell hitting the goal trail as well. Defence looks quite settled at the moment without Hunt and Storey which will give AA another headache, with a clean sheet for good measure.

Seems like we have the right balance playing away from home which is curious just hope we can start producing that at home soon. So on this subject I'll throw this out there, but does anyone think we'd have benefitted more from playing at the Arena than Blackwell for home matches in terms of playing style and atmosphere in the current climate, it just seems to me that they don't seem as comfortable at Blackwell and more so without supporters or do you think it has no effect? :think:

Anyway glad to see us climbing the table and getting on a bit of a run, on to Bradford PA at Blackwell Tuesday! :thumbup:
Not sure what the pitch is like at the Arena, but Blackwell is very bobbly and given our style of play we definitely benefit from a good surface. I think the real difference is that teams don't sit deep when at home, that allows us to break on them with pace and use the space behind them. Perfect for the likes of Campbell and Sousa. When we are at home, teams set up to defend deep and make it very difficult for us, we end up having to thread the ball through the eye of a needle to create a chance and we don't have target man we can lump it up to either.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:05 pm

Lots of pitches, like Farsley, Leamington, Kettering and Blyth are far, far worse and much more bobbly and more difficult to play a passing game on than BM. The Arena has had work done on it over the summer but it was as rough as buggery when the last rugby games were played on it last season.