Away to Bristol rovers

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Away to Bristol rovers

Post by lo36789 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:16 pm

bga wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:09 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:04 pm
Darlopartisan wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:55 pm
Got to question the selection above form ????
Is there any point. Chances of it making a difference are slim. The odds were they would comfortably beat us.
You think then Atkinson better in that position than Laing or Storey?
Nope. Believing someone else could have played is different to "questioning the selection".

Questioning the selection is by effectively questioning Armstrong competence for the job.

Question "why did we select them"
Answer "because Alun Armstrong believed they were the best option available for this game given current fitness levels of respective players etc."

Theres not much left unless you believe that answer raises doubts?

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:23 pm

Still proud of the lads. This was bridge too far today but it has been a good run. Maybe the 3rd Round next season.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:28 pm

Not even gonna talk about the game, but bottom line is the trends that are happening.
1. We are just not physical enough. They closed us down, got tight and we just have no answer to a physical approach. Give us time on the ball and we are great but we are completely sussed I’m afraid. What do you think Gateshead will do on Wed. Exactly!
2. Our crossing is awful, just awful. Including corners.
3. Physical again, but we rarely win a header in the opposition box.
4. AA again. Why leave Hatfield on when 0-6 and half hour to go. Stupid for me!
We need something different to compliment the fantastic ball players that we have.
That said, still proud of them!

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:31 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:16 pm
bga wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
Darlopartisan wrote:
Is there any point. Chances of it making a difference are slim. The odds were they would comfortably beat us.
Nope. Believing someone else could have played is different to "questioning the selection".

Questioning the selection is by effectively questioning Armstrong competence for the job.

Answer "because Alun Armstrong believed they were the best option available for this game given current fitness levels of respective players etc."

You absolutely can question recent selections without questioning the competence of anyone. Are you saying we didn't have two fit CB's that could have played over Atkinson?

Why do we continue to persist with Reid who is consistently anonymous in games?

Why, when 6 nil down, did we not give Hudson minutes to see if he has anything to offer?

We are hardly setting the world on fire in the league, so changes need making. This is not a controversial statement.
Craig Liddle is God!!

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:34 pm

Agree with the above.

In no way is anyone saying Armstrong isn’t the right man and that he hasn’t done well, but we can still question some recent decisions. The persistence with Reid is a problem, as is the formation at home where we get over run in midfield

Providing fitness is all ok I’d like to see the following team;

Saltmer

McMahon / hedley
Storey
Hunt
Watson

Wheatley
Hatfield
Holness

Sousa
Campbell
Charman / O’Neill

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:38 pm

darlo_baron wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:31 pm
lo36789 wrote:
bga wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
Darlopartisan wrote:

You absolutely can question recent selections without questioning the competence of anyone. Are you saying we didn't have two fit CB's that could have played over Atkinson?

Why, when 6 nil down, did we not give Hudson minutes to see if he has anything to offer?

We are hardly setting the world on fire in the league, so changes need making. This is not a controversial statement.
Atkinson and Reid not good enough

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:41 pm

Great cup run. Horrible afternoon but perhaps one game too far. Got to start winning league matches at home now. But as for the above posts I think people are absolutely right to question the selection. We lost 6-0 for heaven's sake.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:41 pm

Well, I thought Rivers was excellent, Campbell too but it seems to me we gave the game away with some very poor stuff at the back. They weren't that good but we were way above our usual territory and it showed cruelly in the little things; like holding the ball and creating chances. It was good to see us giving it a bit of a go right till the end but cup runs and some notice nationally are great so there's more to come from this team - beat Gateshead and we can get the season back on track.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:43 pm

darlo_baron wrote:

I don't know. If we did then clearly Armstrong believed Atkinson was a better choice over them. Otherwise he would have picked someone else.

On Reid. Clearly Armstrong believed he adds more than others otherwise he'd choose someone else to start.

On Hudson. I don't know but I assume that Armstrong is aware that he can make substitutions so he clearly believed that it wasn't the correct choice to make. Otherwise he'd have brought him on as you suggest.

RonJeremy
Team Supported: Darlington, Man Utd.

Post by RonJeremy » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:52 pm

Saltmer 4: Made some tidy stops, looked a bit nervous with the ball at his feet. Wasn’t at fault for the first goal in my opinion. Will get some unfair stick on here and other platforms.

McMahon 4: Didn’t look too bad, could of done better with one of the goals. Penalty he conceded was harsh.

Hunt 5: Looked calm on the ball and could tell he was the player with a lot of experience. Didn’t do too much wrong.

Atkinson 2: He had a nightmare, at fault for at least 3 of the goals, including the first. The only saving grace was a block he made in the first half.

Watson 3: Couldn’t keep out the Bristol threat out wide.

Reid 2: Apart from seeing his name on the team sheet before the game, I didn’t realise he was playing until it was announced he was coming off.

Wheatley 5: Some good tackles to break up play, misplaced a few passes.

Hatfield 6: Not afraid to put a foot in, always looking for a pass and should of scored. Probably our best player today.

Rivers 5: Shown some glimpses of what he can do, just think the opposition were a step too high for him to have much of an effect.

Charman 5: Held the ball up pretty well, didn’t have much service to do anything.

Campbell 5: Always closing down, can’t fault his workrate.

Subs:
O’Neill 5: Shown some good touches and beat his man a couple of times.

Holness 5: Tidy player, didn’t see enough of the ball though.

Hudson: not on long enough.

All in all we shouldn’t be too harsh on most of the players, especially Saltmer, we have to remember the level we are at. It all seemed to go wrong once the first goal went in.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:01 pm

Go on let me be the one to trot out the old cliche. Time to concentrate on the League.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:02 pm

We need to regroup and focus on the league. FA Cup has always been a bonus.

Hope we can bounce the games are thick and fast now. I feel the mental fatigue of a 6-0 could be harder to come back from than the physical fatigue.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:04 pm

Let's just count the cash and move on, I'm sure we'd all prefer this than to have gone out to Prescot Cables.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:09 pm

At least we have almost a full squad to pick from for Gateshead game. Could easily have been without Wheatley and Hatfield as both came close to 2nd yellow card. Would think Ty O'Neill will start ahead of Macguire or Charman. Reid & Atkinson both need relegation to bencha nd Minter could be used so Saltmer has time to unscramble his head after the drubbing. Meanwhile our bank manager very grateful for this epic Cup run

bga

Post by bga » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:10 pm

darlo_baron wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
bga wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
Darlopartisan wrote:

Totally agree.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:16 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:04 pm
Let's just count the cash and move on, I'm sure we'd all prefer this than to have gone out to Prescot Cables.
Great shout. 100k, the cup run got us through 2 months of the pandemic and gave us something to focus on. History made as It's our 1st time on the BBC.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:22 pm

I know it didn't effect the Swindon match as he was cup tied and always was going to be in this season's FA cup run, but today may of been a match where we needed an outlet like Sousa. I thought we were lacking that bit of quick forward attacking play to turn them around and may be we have become too use to him in the starting lineup since he has signed, everything just seemed a bit ponderous today?

If there are positives from the cup run this season it's definitely making round 2, the money made (albeit not quite maximised with the current pandemic restrictions) and picking up Sousa from Tadcaster on the way (he may make us a tidy bit of money in the long run).

Heads up guys let's get it together for Gateshead on Wednesday.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:24 pm

Great shout from Makka Pakka. Four wins in the FA Cup is a great effort.

As for the league I would like to see us try two up front in home games. I know 4-4-2 is unfashionable these days but have seen four homes where we have a lot of the ball and yet don't look like we are going to come out on top at either end of the pitch.

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:39 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:43 pm
darlo_baron wrote:

I don't know. If we did then clearly Armstrong believed Atkinson was a better choice over them. Otherwise he would have picked someone else.

On Reid. Clearly Armstrong believed he adds more than others otherwise he'd choose someone else to start.

On Hudson. I don't know but I assume that Armstrong is aware that he can make substitutions so he clearly believed that it wasn't the correct choice to make. Otherwise he'd have brought him on as you suggest.
Obviously he thought he picked the best XI and obviously people don't agree.

How you think people having differing opinions to that is the equivalent as not rating the manager for the job, is a different matter entirely.

Do you not have a single opinion or are you just intentionally dull?
Craig Liddle is God!!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:42 pm

It might be turn of phrase.

I absolutely see others have different opinions on who should / shouldn't start but for me questioning is to ask why.

Disagreeing is an opinion. Proposing an alternative is an opinion. You can even wonder if alternatives might had lead to a different outcome, that is a consideration and opinion. Questioning for me comes with a different connotation.
Last edited by lo36789 on Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:47 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:02 pm
We need to regroup and focus on the league. FA Cup has always been a bonus.

Hope we can bounce the games are thick and fast now. I feel the mental fatigue of a 6-0 could be harder to come back from than the physical fatigue.
Can’t agree more cup run will have brought in some needed finance, but now is the time to push up the league as if we don’t improve our position we have not improved any further than under Gray/Wright times

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:51 pm

Need to put this result into perspective. Teams that far above us should be beating teams like that. I remember we gave a team like AFC Sudbury a pasting a few years ago. 64 places is a massive difference.

6-0 wasn't a fair reflection on the game. Felt the first goal was slightly against the run of play, we had create a few half chances and I don't even think they had created even a half chance. What came after was quite poor, the team probably realised that we needed to score the opening goal.

The communication between Saltmer and Atkinson wasn't great. People all of a sudden slating Atkinson (didn't see too many question the fact that he started) only after the event are some calling him. Penalty was stupid and unnecessary.

Whilst the scoreline showed more quality (and they defo had more), I didn't think they were that impressive really. No one particularly stood out and can see why they might struggle.

To put back into perspective, we lost to a league one side and won 4 games (including beating a league one side) and gained plenty of cash for the club. We can now concentrate on the league (although I think they could really do with a rest). Get players back and get them focused again. Get all these players with niggles fit. Get back to the nucleus of Hunt, Liddle, Hatfield, Wheatley, Holness etc

Plenty to look forward to and plenty to improve on

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:02 pm

Trying not to be too negative and pick at individuals, but there’s a pattern of two players in that team who shouldn’t be. I doubt they’d have made a difference today, but both had bad, bad games.

6-0 did feel harsh but we absolutely fell to pieces there. I don’t know who to blame for the first goal as I couldn’t make out it there was a shout or not. We should have some mental resolve to not totally fall apart when something like that happens though.

At times we knocked it around nicely, which was encouraging. I hope they’re not all too deflated midweek, but... I’m not sure how you pick yourself up from that in a few days.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:29 pm

Did anyone watch the game on BT Sport? I thought the two commentators on there were excellent. They had clearly done their research and watched the BPA game too.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:30 pm

My biggest worry about this season and it showed again today is that quite frequently if we let a goal in, heads drop. It usually affects all teams, but it seems to affect us more. We were at least on a par with them until the first goal went in and then it went downhill from there. You could make argument that the goal gave Bristol the lift they needed, buts it's happened regularly in the league as well.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:56 pm

I found it quite alarming that we somehow managed to let in six goals during a 30-minute spell of playing time and at least three of those had nothing to do with with the three-league gulf between the sides. The first was comedic on our part, the first penalty was a ridiculous challenge and completely inexplicable and for the final goal we just left the player who headed the ball completely unmarked.

Those goals all had nothing to do with them being a League One side and everything to do with inept play on our part. They should be analysed because most sides in National North would also have capitalised on them as well. You won't win any game defending like that.

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:17 pm

It could be worse.
At least we were only knocked out of the FA Cup once this year.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:34 pm

Just watched the interview with the Bristol Rovers manager and he said his favourite goal was the first one, basically because there was nothing in the game at that point.
The worst bit for me was how we capitulated before half time. I think there will be a lot of changes Wednesday night and the Atkinson as a make shift defender is over and he should go back into midfield and replace Reid who was a passenger first half.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:36 pm

Still so upset at that performance, not bothered about loosing, more about our set up, players on the bench and why we persist with some players who no matter what are there game in game out, FFS everyone can see it.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:37 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:34 pm
Just watched the interview with the Bristol Rovers manager and he said his favourite goal was the first one, basically because there was nothing in the game at that point.
The worst bit for me was how we capitulated before half time. I think there will be a lot of changes Wednesday night and the Atkinson as a make shift defender is over and he should go back into midfield and replace Reid who was a passenger first half.
Yep