Jason Ainsley

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jason Ainsley

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:23 pm

500 in the pie tent?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:25 pm

:D

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:47 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:500 in the pie tent?
Think you have nailed it, was wondering where they all were.ImageImage

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:37 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:28 pm
Hmmm, thanks - I see what you mean.

To me it's wrong though, and I'm surprised it's legal. Also if the figures are tweaked, as in not right, what's the point?
I don't think the law care too much about how many people football teams declare came to their game.

HMRC would care if you were deliberately knocking 200 off to avoid suspicion when submitting tax receipts at the lower figure.

From a purely legal perspective the number of people who paid admittance to the game is probably of more value.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:53 am

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:37 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

To me it's wrong though, and I'm surprised it's legal. Also if the figures are tweaked, as in not right, what's the point?
I don't think the law care too much about how many people football teams declare came to their game.

HMRC would care if you were deliberately knocking 200 off to avoid suspicion when submitting tax receipts at the lower figure.

From a purely legal perspective the number of people who paid admittance to the game is probably of more value.
You may be right, It's strange though, the term "official attendance" - should mean just that, it shouldn't be guess work or inflated. As said above, what happens if there is an incident?

From the dictionary. Attendance = "the number of people present at a particular place or event:"
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:46 pm

I think Gray would be a good appointment for Spennymoor and if he has retired they could try to persuade him. For all his charmless ways he knew how to get success at this level - he nearly got us up in our first season in this league - and having done penance he deserves another chance.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:06 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:53 am
lo36789 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:37 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

You may be right, It's strange though, the term "official attendance" - should mean just that, it shouldn't be guess work or inflated. As said above, what happens if there is an incident?

From the dictionary. Attendance = "the number of people present at a particular place or event:"
Yeh agree what attendance means I just don't think what you announce on that for the interests of a league spreadsheet is an incident or legal concern.

If there is an incident then you would deploy an evacuation plan. The critical thing there is that max capacity hasn't been breached as that would impede that plan from being effective.

I don't know many major venues who after evacuating count the people outside and check it correlates with those who were attending. The moment they leave most people get off home.

It's the same as if there is a false fire alarm of a fire test in a work place. Most people go off on their lunch or go home depending on time of day that it happens. There is no expectation that a register is taken.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:50 pm

Wiseacre wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:46 pm
I think Gray would be a good appointment for Spennymoor and if he has retired they could try to persuade him. For all his charmless ways he knew how to get success at this level - he nearly got us up in our first season in this league - and having done penance he deserves another chance.
We finished 5th in our first season with 76 points 12 points behind the winners Fylde. We would have been in the playoffs if the ground had been up to standard but I think to say he nearly got us up is rather over stating it a bit. For the record I am very appreciative of what Martin Gray achieved for us but I doubt he has the profile that Spennymoor will be looking for. He has been out of management for over 2 years and his record at York was hardly inspiring.
Not sure what is meant by “all his charmless ways “ but seems a rather disingenuous thing to say about a manager who achieved 3 promotions for the club. I prefer to judge a football manager on results. Sir Alex Ferguson could be ruthless and charmless at times you could argue but will be remembered as a great manager.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:10 pm

Not only could they employ Martin gray they could also allow Raj Singh to work alongside Bradley groves also when he reins his investment in in Hartlepool shortly.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:56 pm

So just to sum up, their average paying attendance is 903, heavily bolstered by big away followings from Darlington and York and despite Polarbear's denial it's there in print that Brad has put a "seven figure sum" into the club?

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:06 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:56 pm
So just to sum up, their average paying attendance is 903, heavily bolstered by big away followings from Darlington and York and despite Polarbear's denial it's there in print that Brad has put a "seven figure sum" into the club?
Does polar bear actually go to Spennymoor matches or does he still spend most of his days stood on the top of a fox's glacier mint?😁😁

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:19 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:21 am
Lol so the idea that it is a requirement for the new manager to prefer a direct style of play was in reference to the style of play of their outgoing manager.

Spennymoor will do what Spennymoor will do. I don't really care how they fund it beyond correcting some of their supporter base who deny it whilst simultaneously insulting how we are funded.

I am actually surprised he lasted this long. With the greatest respect to Ainsley he is a school teacher who has historically operated at the lower reaches of the National League System. It is a huge ask to then be responsible for a team of what are effectively professional footballers.

He's done a great job so far. You would think there are EvoStik and Northern League teams who would love to have him. I guess 14 years is a long time an people have different priorities and interests over that sort of timeframe.
Danny & Nicky Cowley were teachers.

Ainsley is a decent manager but I would be interested to see him manage a team in the Evo-Stik / Northern League that doesn't have the pick of players at that level.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:03 am

He’ll not manage in the Northern League or Evo Stik. Landing a nice cushy, well-paid job with Uncle Brad in the New Year.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:34 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:19 pm

Ainsley is a decent manager but I would be interested to see him manage a team in the Evo-Stik / Northern League that doesn't have the pick of players at that level.
Indeed they were and Sarri was a banker.

Their success was / is against the odds. When stuff happens against the odds I think surprise is a fair reaction. Which is all I said about Ainsley.

I don't sign up to the you have to have been the best footballer to be a good manager - but as with any profession experience of that profession is valuable. Even the managers who weren't great players tend to have been around football as a profession their whole lives.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:03 am

I'm sure it helps to have played professionally but it didn't stop Gerard Houllier (also a teacher), cup treble in 2000/1 or Carlos Alberto Parreira, Brazil World Cup 1994, doing a decent job!
Last edited by don'tbuythesun on Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:55 am

lo36789 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:34 am
Darlofan97 wrote:

…..

I don't sign up to the you have to have been the best footballer to be a good manager - ....

I struggle to think of many great players who have gone on to be great managers

Beckebauer won World Cup as player and manager as did Dino Zoff, but domestically the most successful managers were not the greates players previously.

Look at Premiership now only Lampard of big clubs comes to mind as a great player, but as a manager he is yet to be proven.

Ruud Gullitt for me was one of the best players I have seen play, but he struggled as a manager- he seemingly couldn't accept his players couldn't do the things he was able to do.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:17 am

Strange to have mentioned Gerard this morning before the sad news. RIP
Last edited by don'tbuythesun on Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:34 pm

spen666 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:55 am
Colin Todd. Great player, even greater manager. Tommy Taylor. Great player, even greater manager.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:45 pm

spen666 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

…..

I don't sign up to the you have to have been the best footballer to be a good manager - ....

Beckebauer won World Cup as player and manager as did Dino Zoff, but domestically the most successful managers were not the greates players previously.

Look at Premiership now only Lampard of big clubs comes to mind as a great player, but as a manager he is yet to be proven.

Ruud Gullitt for me was one of the best players I have seen play, but he struggled as a manager- he seemingly couldn't accept his players couldn't do the things he was able to do.
Depends where you draw the lines on being great, and that applies to both disciplines.

Zinedine ZIdane and Pep Guardiola could play a bit and haven't done too bad managerially. Antonio Conte, Kenny Dalglish, Kevin Keegan, Roberto Mancini and Mark Hughes were all good players and have equally had their successes as managers.

Would Real Madrid fans say that Zinedine Zidane has achieved great things as a manager, and would they equally say he was a great player for the club (I think so). I think you could apply a same consideration against many of the others.

Depends if you are trying to simply focus on the 'greatest' rather than those who were great.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:18 pm

spen666 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

…..

Interesting you’ve joined this thread a while after the Uncle Brad investment comments have passed :problem:

Footifanreturns

Post by Footifanreturns » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:32 am

Emdubya wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:18 pm
spen666 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

…..

Interesting you’ve joined this thread a while after the Uncle Brad investment comments have passed :problem:
Emdubya you know the baffoon only has an expert opinion on subjects that do not clash his blinkered views of Spendy & Uncle Brad.

Actually not blinkered more like ostrich's head in the sand.

polarbear
Team Supported: spennymoor

Post by polarbear » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:31 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:13 pm
I can see why you might want to overstate things if your avowed aim is to be the "biggest and best" in County Durham. I don't want to labour the point but if you have a few spare seconds just take a look at the start of these highlights and tell me if you think the official near-900 attendance looks even remotely right...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRSzmeshNAM
Spennymoor last game with a crowd, dont forget you cant see the fans on camera side where most people stand, now take a look again mr lucan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw1udVDTl40

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:38 pm

All i ever notice on spenny highlights is how few sponsors they seem to have around the pitch. Do they not have a commercial department or something?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:10 pm

polarbear wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:31 am
LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:13 pm
I can see why you might want to overstate things if your avowed aim is to be the "biggest and best" in County Durham. I don't want to labour the point but if you have a few spare seconds just take a look at the start of these highlights and tell me if you think the official near-900 attendance looks even remotely right...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRSzmeshNAM
Spennymoor last game with a crowd, dont forget you cant see the fans on camera side where most people stand, now take a look again mr lucan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw1udVDTl40
So, on the match I've highlighted, that you're so keen to dodge the issue on, let's be generous. After kick-off, a quick count shows around 60 people in the seats behind one goal, about 60 in the stand behind the other goal and about 60 in the main stand seats, and that's being fairly generous on all three. To meet the official crowd figure, that would mean there were around 700 people on the other thin terrace out in the often blizzard conditions. Yeah right. The thinly spread "crowd" on that side actually appear a few times on the highlights and make your comment look ridiculous. The official attendance figure of nearly 900 is clearly hundreds out and the proof is there for all to see.

Darlopj

Post by Darlopj » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:30 pm

You're wasting your time. Polarbear is clearly a fully paid up member of the Flat Earth Society (Honorary President Spen666)

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:52 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:10 pm

So, on the match I've highlighted, that you're so keen to dodge the issue on, let's be generous. After kick-off, a quick count shows around 60 people in the seats behind one goal, about 60 in the stand behind the other goal and about 60 in the main stand seats, and that's being fairly generous on all three. To meet the official crowd figure, that would mean there were around 700 people on the other thin terrace out in the often blizzard conditions. Yeah right. The thinly spread "crowd" on that side actually appear a few times on the highlights and make your comment look ridiculous. The official attendance figure of nearly 900 is clearly hundreds out and the proof is there for all to see.
You actually get a glimpse of the far side as the players come out, lucky if theres 60 on the far side too.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:02 pm

Darlopj wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:30 pm
You're wasting your time. Polarbear is clearly a fully paid up member of the Flat Earth Society (Honorary President Spen666)
Graduates of the Trump School of Alternative Facts, too.

echovid

Post by echovid » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:29 am

Never understood the sniping at Groves. If only we'd got him instead of Reynolds or Singh.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:09 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:21 pm
MARTIN GRAY - COME ON DOWN.
Can’t see him going for Gray with the money Brad has invested into the club he will want someone with the experience to get them up the leagues.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:13 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:09 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:21 pm
MARTIN GRAY - COME ON DOWN.
Can’t see him going for Gray with the money Brad has invested into the club he will want someone with the experience to get them up the leagues.
Why would they, spennymoor have a manager unless ive missed something
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams