Boston Game To Be Replayed

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4885
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Boston Game To Be Replayed

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:34 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:59 am
I've been through and by my reckoning the first point that McMahon touches his head is on 7:07 on the highlights
It might be me being pedantic but what do you think he's doing @ 7:04?

Unless of course there's two sets of highlights?
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

lo36789
Posts: 9249
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Boston Game To Be Replayed

Post by lo36789 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:39 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:34 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:59 am
I've been through and by my reckoning the first point that McMahon touches his head is on 7:07 on the highlights
It might be me being pedantic but what do you think he's doing @ 7:04?

Unless of course there's two sets of highlights?
Fair 7:04. Not sure why I put 7:07 its the same point I recognise the shot has been struck and is basically about to go in.

6:59 players fall to ground. 7:04 ball is about to hit the back of the net. 7:08 physio is being called on to give attention.
Last edited by lo36789 on Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps
Posts: 5434
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Boston Game To Be Replayed

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:46 pm

loan_star wrote:Hunts left hand goes straight to his head as he falls, in clear view of the referee. Lo is wrong, Gramps is correct.
I’ve told him where to find what he needs and yet he ignores it. Largely because it proves him wrong.

The guy brown-noses referees so it’s no surprise his tongue is right up their backsides.

The referee was negligent in not immediately stopping the game for head injuries.

FWIW, this is the same person who insisted the Northern League hasn’t dominated the FA Vase, and was responsible for the Fylde Coast thread debacle. He thinks he’s smart, but is really as thick as two short planks.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789
Posts: 9249
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Boston Game To Be Replayed

Post by lo36789 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:52 pm

I just think it's completely out of order to call negligence. Maybe it's just me but that gets quite a serious accusation to just throw out.

Gramps just can't debate without resorting to childlike insults.
Last edited by lo36789 on Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps
Posts: 5434
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Boston Game To Be Replayed

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:52 pm

lo36789 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:34 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:59 am
I've been through and by my reckoning the first point that McMahon touches his head is on 7:07 on the highlights
It might be me being pedantic but what do you think he's doing @ 7:04?

Unless of course there's two sets of highlights?
Fair 7:04. Not sure why I put 7:07 its the same point I recognise the shot has been struck and is basically about to go in.

6:59 players fall to ground. 7:04 ball is about to hit the back of the net. 7:08 physio is being called on to give attention.
So the ball is in play at 7:04. Hunt immediately touches his head at 7:00.

You’ve now conceded both players indicated potential serious head injuries while the ball was in play. Marvellous. We’re getting there.

The referee should’ve stopped play at 7:00 when Hunt first touches his head. He runs directly past him after that. Therefore the referee should’ve been aware of a potentially serious head injury, but wasn’t either because he didn’t realise (incompetence) or did but played on (incompetence and negligence).
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps
Posts: 5434
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Boston Game To Be Replayed

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:54 pm

lo36789 wrote:I just think it's completely out of order to call negligence. Maybe it's just me but that gets quite a serious accusation to just throw out.
It’s not out of order if it’s true. And that is my view and I’ve provided an argument to support it.

Again, you always take the referee’s side, in any thread. This shows you to be biased and once again you’re demonstrating it.
lo36789 wrote: Gramps just can't debate without resorting to childlike insults.
Don’t act like a child and I won’t treat you like one. Stop stamping your feet and demanding an irrelevant screenshot, when I’ve already given you the time code which shows when and why I think the ref should have stopped the game.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789
Posts: 9249
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Boston Game To Be Replayed

Post by lo36789 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:55 pm

You can't see Hunts left arm on the footage you can see his back and his right arm on his back.

You see him lift his right arm and then hit the floor with it next to his head whilst simultaneously lifting his left leg up and down.

This goes against the "he was motionless" which has been called out elsewhere.

Play stops a quarter of a second after McMahon touches his head.

Darlogramps
Posts: 5434
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Boston Game To Be Replayed

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:59 pm

lo36789 wrote:You can't see Hunts left arm on the footage you can see his back and his right arm on his back.
Yes you can. At 7:00 his left arm moves to his head. Loan_Star agrees that happens.

You claim you can’t see, but then admitting it would ruin your argument, so it’s no wonder you’re pretending you can’t see it.

You’re just being pathetic now, denying something which blatantly happens.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789
Posts: 9249
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Boston Game To Be Replayed

Post by lo36789 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:04 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:54 pm
Again, you always take the referee’s side, in any thread. This shows you to be biased and once again you’re demonstrating it.
Not a question of sides.

Fundamentally I do not agree with accusations against people who don't have a chance to defend themselves.

Secondly. When considering why did someone act like that. Prefer to actually put myself in their position, the factors at play and don't assume that humans assess things perfectly, with limited information at speed all the time.

Feels generally like a more positive outlook to have on things but hey.

I still think if Hunt had got up from that rubbed his head and then played on, which 9999/10000 is what happens, and I remind you what our physio expected to happen. No-one would have said a word or suggested the game should have been stopped.

LoidLucan
Posts: 3452
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Boston Game To Be Replayed

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:20 pm

On the other hand, had the ref stopped the game because two players were laid out I don't think many would have thought it unreasonable. We've all seen play stopped in such circumstances and it doesn't cause absolute uproar even if the injuries turn out not be be as serious as first feared.

lo36789
Posts: 9249
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Boston Game To Be Replayed

Post by lo36789 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:29 pm

It's usually the cause than the outcome. A head to head collision at pace absolutely. An innocuous looking fall into each other not at pace then rarely so.

eddie-rowles
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:51 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Boston Game To Be Replayed

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:38 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:29 pm
It's usually the cause than the outcome. A head to head collision at pace absolutely. An innocuous looking fall into each other not at pace then rarely so.
I see you guys went for the full 48 hours argument as opposed to the cheaper 24 hours

lo36789
Posts: 9249
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Boston Game To Be Replayed

Post by lo36789 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:43 pm

:shifty:

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4885
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Boston Game To Be Replayed

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:06 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:38 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:29 pm
It's usually the cause than the outcome. A head to head collision at pace absolutely. An innocuous looking fall into each other not at pace then rarely so.
I see you guys went for the full 48 hours argument as opposed to the cheaper 24 hours
I left the building at 2.34 ;)
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

bga
Posts: 1682
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Boston Game To Be Replayed

Post by bga » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:40 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:08 pm
FWIW the reason it is listed as serious injury in the laws is because it is absolutely not expected that every time a player is down and suggest that their head is injured that the game is stopped.

The referee is required to actually see the head injury - and since our own medical team didn't spot a head injury happening then it doesn't feel like a bit of an unfair level of expectation.

The expectation is that a match official attempts to assess severity of the injury prior to stopping the game. That means assessing the nature of a collision, and the nature of the action afterwards and also taking into account impact on the game of stopping at that moment.

I've stopped games for knee injuries. Two have been cruciate injuries simple from landing on the ground after jumping for a header. On both occasions the ball was in a neutral area on the halfway line. As such as the benefit of being able to see the movement of the knee on the landing justified stopping the game.

I've equally played on where a player has gone down and held his head after a corner. The ball fell to an opponent who then scored. By the time I got to him 3 seconds later he was up and rubbing the top of his head - he didn't even need treatment and there was not a single suggestion the goal should have been disallowed.

In hindsight it was a serious injury. It took a few minutes for Hunt to deteriorate to the point of that mind and did so fully under supervision of medical staff who had been brought on.

I think football would make for an interesting spectacle if everytime a player indicates that their head is hurt we immediately stop the game wherever it is. Players already attempt to game this usually when CBs lose the ball and leave strikers one on one they go down hold their head in hope. It's the gamesmanship that was mentioned by Danny O'Connor and what he thought Hunt was doing initially.
Got to agree 100% with this lo. I stated my view earlier in the thread that at the time I thought s*** we have 2 players down I (and others) did not immediately think stop the game. Gramps you believe the ref should have immediately stopped the game. You have also indicated Boston players could have put the ball out. Not sure if you went as far as to say "should" have put the ball out as they must have realised how "serious" the incident was. What puzzles me is why any of our players, also realising how serious the incident was, did not say Kung Fu kick or rugby tackle one of their players to bring play to a holt? I mean they had 4-6 seconds to do so?

darlo2001uk
Posts: 1352
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:10 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Boston Game To Be Replayed

Post by darlo2001uk » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:55 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:06 pm
eddie-rowles wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:38 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:29 pm
It's usually the cause than the outcome. A head to head collision at pace absolutely. An innocuous looking fall into each other not at pace then rarely so.
I see you guys went for the full 48 hours argument as opposed to the cheaper 24 hours
I left the building at 2.34 ;)
Thank God we will have a game to discuss later. Even if we lose it will be less boring than this turgid stuff.

Old Git
Posts: 916
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Boston Game To Be Replayed

Post by Old Git » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:32 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:55 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:06 pm
eddie-rowles wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:38 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:29 pm
It's usually the cause than the outcome. A head to head collision at pace absolutely. An innocuous looking fall into each other not at pace then rarely so.
I see you guys went for the full 48 hours argument as opposed to the cheaper 24 hours
I left the building at 2.34 ;)
Thank God we will have a game to discuss later. Even if we lose it will be less boring than this turgid stuff.
The arguments that Gramps gets into tend to become rather tedious because he just seems to enjoy being a pain in his a....

Darlogramps
Posts: 5434
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Boston Game To Be Replayed

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:38 pm

Old Git wrote:
darlo2001uk wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:55 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:06 pm
eddie-rowles wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:38 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:29 pm
It's usually the cause than the outcome. A head to head collision at pace absolutely. An innocuous looking fall into each other not at pace then rarely so.
I see you guys went for the full 48 hours argument as opposed to the cheaper 24 hours
I left the building at 2.34 ;)
Thank God we will have a game to discuss later. Even if we lose it will be less boring than this turgid stuff.
The arguments that Gramps gets into tend to become rather tedious because he just seems to enjoy being a pain in his a....
That’s twice in this thread now you’ve brought me up randomly.

I think you’re secretly in love. I’m spoken for Old Git, sorry.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps
Posts: 5434
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Boston Game To Be Replayed

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:38 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:06 pm
eddie-rowles wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:38 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:29 pm
It's usually the cause than the outcome. A head to head collision at pace absolutely. An innocuous looking fall into each other not at pace then rarely so.
I see you guys went for the full 48 hours argument as opposed to the cheaper 24 hours
I left the building at 2.34 ;)
Thank God we will have a game to discuss later. Even if we lose it will be less boring than this turgid stuff.
No one is forcing you to read it. Or comment....
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
D_F_C
Posts: 1856
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Boston Game To Be Replayed

Post by D_F_C » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:58 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:38 pm
Old Git wrote:
darlo2001uk wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:55 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:06 pm
eddie-rowles wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:38 pm

I see you guys went for the full 48 hours argument as opposed to the cheaper 24 hours
I left the building at 2.34 ;)
Thank God we will have a game to discuss later. Even if we lose it will be less boring than this turgid stuff.
The arguments that Gramps gets into tend to become rather tedious because he just seems to enjoy being a pain in his a....
That’s twice in this thread now you’ve brought me up randomly.

I think you’re secretly in love. I’m spoken for Old Git, sorry.
Not sure it's random considering your the main poster in this thread.

My view was that both players went down, ref didn't realise the seriousness and delayed a few seconds, within those seconds they were going to have a chance to score so by then it was too late for him to blow up. I completely disagree with anyone that states that Boston should have stopped. It's not up to them and the guy on the ball was concentrating on scoring.

Either way it's a bit irrelevant now. Most important thing is that the decision has been made and we need to play a whole lot better than we did in the first game. More physical presence needed

Darlogramps
Posts: 5434
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Boston Game To Be Replayed

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:07 pm

Yeah but Old Git has a habit of bringing me up when a poster isn’t even directly referring to me. Clearly fancies me or something. After I’d had an argument with him once, he went off to another forum and posted about me for five days. I think the phrase youngsters use is “living rent-free in his head”.

Also, I don’t think anyone is blaming Boston as such for not stopping. My point is more that arguing the sporting thing to do would be to give them the win is undermined because they too didn’t do the sporting thing.

But the decision has been made now and we’ve all got to get on with it, whether we agree or not.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Post Reply