Home Kit Vote

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

EDJOHNS
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Home Kit Vote

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:30 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:25 pm
comeondarlo wrote:3 is the only decent option and it’s time (actually it was ages ago) that we try something else other than hoops.
Why is it time to move on from hoops? If a majority of the fanbase prefer them (and they do as hoops has won every vote for years) and see them as our identity, why should it be abandoned?

And particularly as the only way to do that seems to be to stack the vote and disenfranchise a portion of the electorate, for want of a better phrase.

Not looking to start an argument, it’s a genuine question.
Please don't start yet another war over this, but if you say the "younger" fans would always go for hoops year after year,(which is proven), is it not fare to give the "older" fans,(who of course diminish by the year), a chance to get their choice once in a while? If it means "loading it" against hoops is that such a bad thing?
I don't like a lot of the hooped shirts we have had, but I buy them from a desire to help the club. I had already decided not to buy next seasons if it was hoops yet again as I am sick of buying something I do not particularly like or look good in. I would doubt I am the only 1 who feels that way.
That said. the choices are not great. I have gone 1 & 3 in the semi final and hope 3 wins. I also hope we get a far better range of choice for the away shirt.

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:33 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:35 am
Darlo_Rob wrote:Gramps, I realise you're not trying to create an argument, just stimulate a bit of debate. With that it mind and I know you don't particularly like these, but hypothetical question. if there was an increase in sales of a non hooped shirt and that allowed us to bring in a new player, would sentiment for hoops be put to one side?
Not particularly. As I said, this is a question of identity and there are greater considerations than money in my view. However I would be interested to know the sales figures to see exactly how much of a money spinner they are. For all we know, there are people who won’t buy it if it’s not hoops.

I’m a younger fan but have supported Darlo for more than 20 years. I don’t like the fact we flitted between designs for the bulk of our existence (periods of hoops and then plain white, or white and black designs). I like the idea we’ve settled on hoops as a statement of who we are. As I say, new traditions can be formed.

To say, “it’s time for a change” annoys me. Not in my view. Liverpool don’t say: “We’ll try red and white stripes for a change” because it’s who they are.

I like the idea of black and white hoops being “us” and it disappoints me the club have made it so clear they want to move away from that for a short term commercial hit. And I do believe they’re trying to load the vote this time out.

Also, thank you for engaging in the discussion rather than aiming for a points-scoring slanging match.

I’m a younger fan too, I’ve been going since 1996 and hoops have been the kit for the majority of my time watching Darlo.
Completely agree about the new traditions, there is no other club in England with black and white hoops (to my knowledge anyway) and I believe we should be looking to cement that. Look at Leeds they didn’t start wearing all white until the 60’s and the same for Liverpool wearing all red and not just red shirts. I believe the fresh start as a fan owned club in 2012 should be us making hoops traditional.

I’m quite sure this seasons kit has record sales, we’d sold 616 home shirts by December so a good proportion of fans clearly like hoops. If we go back to plain white we’d just look the same as Derby or Fulham for me.

As for the new kits, 1, 2, 4 are awful but I’d like to see option 3 as an away kit in either red with a black sash (red and black always looks smart) or yellow with a blue sash (Colours of the County Durham flag as we’re the REAL pride of County Durham)

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:34 am

Why not spilt the difference between hoops and plain White by going back to the 1970s shirt with 3 bands across the chest?

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:40 am

dfcdfcdfc wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:34 am
Why not spilt the difference between hoops and plain White by going back to the 1970s shirt with 3 bands across the chest?
Nop, lets have the 66-68 not the 68-71. The thinner hoops on the first shirt looked far more "proper". The second effort always looked a bit "frumpy" and "washed out" to me.
Though I did like the hoop on the socks of the later strip.

Earl_Lee_Dawes

Post by Earl_Lee_Dawes » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:50 am

Shirt No.4 may as well be all white - I doubt the black lines will be visible from a distance. It's No.3 for me - the best of a bad bunch. And I think we should have white shorts and socks for a change.

Darlogramps

Home Kit Vote

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:36 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Please don't start yet another war over this, but if you say the "younger" fans would always go for hoops year after year,(which is proven), is it not fare to give the "older" fans,(who of course diminish by the year), a chance to get their choice once in a while? If it means "loading it" against hoops is that such a bad thing?
I don't like a lot of the hooped shirts we have had, but I buy them from a desire to help the club. I had already decided not to buy next seasons if it was hoops yet again as I am sick of buying something I do not particularly like or look good in. I would doubt I am the only 1 who feels that way.
That said. the choices are not great. I have gone 1 & 3 in the semi final and hope 3 wins. I also hope we get a far better range of choice for the away shirt.
I can understand if you’re frustrated about always getting a design you dislike. That’s perfectly reasonable. However that doesn’t justify the club loading a vote to get an outcome they want. Accepting the majority view even if you don’t get your own away is the basis of any democratic vote.

We don’t do elections that way (we don’t say: “Labour hasn’t been in power for a while, so let’s give them a go to keep the lefties happy”). You do it on a majority vote involving everyone. Treat everyone fairly and whatever wins, we accept it.

So yes, I would view it as a bad thing. It shows to me the club doesn’t really care that much about the fans, preferring modest financial gains instead.

I’m not comfortable with making this only open to YOURCLUB members and then selecting a terrible hoops option (which the club will have seen beforehand). It feels like the club is loading the vote to get the result they want (a non-hoops option).

Not everyone can sign up to YOURCLUB for various reasons. These people are being disenfranchised from a say on something which is a big say in our identity.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:55 am

These options are all pretty awful to be honest. Remember the backlash last year when there wasn’t a decent hooped option and there had to be a change of heart by the club. I thought after that it was said that in future there would always be a run off between a traditional hooped shirt and the other option voted for by the fans. Had assumed when I saw these offerings that it would be a case of choosing one of them to run off against a traditional hooped shirt. If it is the case that one of these 4 shirts is to actually be chosen then may I suggest that next year we run a competition amongst local primary schools to design the shirts. They could do a lot better than whoever designed these.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:02 pm

I think Option 2 should be passed on to Celtic as a suggested change to their traditional hoops but in a nice shade of green of course :D
Last edited by LoidLucan on Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:03 pm

Hoops are a part of our identity - we were wearing hoops long before we wore plain white shirts. Black and white hoops are pretty unique in English football, which is part of the appeal. It isn't just a "younger fans" thing at all - I'm an older fan, and I like the fact that we wear hoops.

The problem with hoops and stripes, though, is that there is a limit to what you can do with them design wise. There is an element of redesigning the wheel when it comes to kit designs. i appreciate that the Club needs to generate income from shirt sales, but the whole football fashion industry is out of control. It has reduced football shirts to ephemeral commodities, changed every year, to which it is difficult to develop an affinity. It has now just become another way of milking the fans.

Ironically, my favourite kit was the all white Hummel kit - I suspect my liking for it stems from the success of the Cyril Knowles team, and also the fact we wore it for 3 years. I'd like to see us keep a home shirt for more than a season, and maybe just change the away kit every year. Unless the home kit was one of the 4 options presented to us, none of which are worthy of a Darlo shirt.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:51 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:40 am
dfcdfcdfc wrote:
Nop, lets have the 66-68 not the 68-71. The thinner hoops on the first shirt looked far more "proper". The second effort always looked a bit "frumpy" and "washed out" to me.

I think that when this has been suggested it caused problems with Adidas who do whatever they can to protect the 3 stripes (or in this case hoops) as part of their brand.
I like that shirt too but I don’t think it is possible unless we get a deal with Adidas for the Darlo strip.
Not sure what would happen if we have 4 thin hoops.

Footifanreturns

Post by Footifanreturns » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:07 pm

I agree with some on here but we are never going to please all. I understand the commercial needs of generating income from shirt sales.

It is quite an assumption by self appointed voices of the fans that it is just the younger fans that prefer hoops. After over 60 years of following the club I & I know some other older fans prefer the hoops
It is quite unique to Darlo & does give us a brand image that I like.
Having said that I would not be against going to our original shirts of Black & White quarters.
Commercially sound & still probably unique to Darlo.
To say the vote is rigged is a joke...at the end of the day the " Owners" will decide which design wins.
We are hardly a massive market for sales so obviously whichever proposals are put forward have to be at the suggestion of the manufacturers for ease of production.

Anything but back to the horrible black & blue stripes that appeared years ago...but then again I am sure some on here would have even liked that monstrosity lol.
Shame there would probably be litigation from Adidas if we went back to the 3 thin hoops of the 60's, it would be a nice compromise winner I am sure.
I will put on my tin hat & watch with a smile as the " experts " deride my post...😉 Don't you just love em lol

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:54 pm

Footifanreturns wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:07 pm

Anything but back to the horrible black & blue stripes that appeared years ago...but then again I am sure some on here would have even liked that monstrosity lol.
I'm wearing that shirt right now, I wasn't struck on it at the time but it's growing on me now 28 years later.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Footifanreturns

Post by Footifanreturns » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:59 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:54 pm
Footifanreturns wrote:

I'm wearing that shirt right now, I wasn't struck on it at the time but it's growing on me now 28 years later.
Shame on you lol.
Seriously though we all have such different tastes which was exactly my point.

Whichever chosen, I will buy some for my group as I see it as supporting the club.

Whichever is chosen some on here will just moan for the sake of it.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:02 pm

I've been a bit of a moaner last couple of selections, 2 seasons ago when we chose the same design 2 seasons running (well I say we, I certainly didn't vote for it) and was it last time when an extra shirt was added after the first vote?
I think these 4 are a refreshing change from the usual bland options, would even accept the tartan one. If I had to choose ( and I do) then it will be number 4.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:23 pm

Lawman3 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:03 pm
Ironically, my favourite kit was the all white Hummel kit
Same kit for me, simple but stylish. I would love a return to that kit style and manufacturer.
Out of the 4 we have been given the sash one is nice and I'd be happy with that, with white shorts and socks.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:35 pm

I don't think restricting it to YOURCLUB members is an issue. It is right that the owners get a say and that is what the YOURCLUB members are aren't they for their £20 a year membership.

Also makes it easy to administer through the poll option.

See what comes out if it is only a kit design, and a bit of fun after all.

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:04 pm

Darlo Dodger wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:51 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:40 am
dfcdfcdfc wrote:

I think that when this has been suggested it caused problems with Adidas who do whatever they can to protect the 3 stripes (or in this case hoops) as part of their brand.
I like that shirt too but I don’t think it is possible unless we get a deal with Adidas for the Darlo strip.
Not sure what would happen if we have 4 thin hoops.
Thought Adidas were 3 white slashes on black.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:07 pm

Footifanreturns wrote:
I agree with some on here but we are never going to please all. I understand the commercial needs of generating income from shirt sales.

It is quite an assumption by self appointed voices of the fans that it is just the younger fans that prefer hoops. After over 60 years of following the club I & I know some other older fans prefer the hoops
Having said that I would not be against going to our original shirts of Black & White quarters.
To say the vote is rigged is a joke...at the end of the day the " Owners" will decide which design wins.
We are hardly a massive market for sales so obviously whichever proposals are put forward have to be at the suggestion of the manufacturers for ease of production.

Shame there would probably be litigation from Adidas if we went back to the 3 thin hoops of the 60's, it would be a nice compromise winner I am sure.
I will put on my tin hat & watch with a smile as the " experts " deride my post...😉 Don't you just love em lol
Well Chuckles, once you've finished cackling your head off, would you mind answering two questions for me.

Firstly, where did I say it's just the younger fans who prefer hoops? Neither myself, nor anyone else has said that.

Secondly, where did I say the vote is rigged? I said it's loaded (and it clearly is) but that is different to rigging it.

Perhaps trying reading things properly next time.

Footifanreturns

Post by Footifanreturns » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:11 pm

Thought Adidas were 3 white slashes on black.
[/quote]

As far as I am aware they have copyright on the 3 stripes.
As we would probably be" Grandfathered " in with our 1967/68 design we would most likely win the case but the legal fees would be crippling to even suggest trying.
That how these multi million £ companies run rough shod over small entities.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:13 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:35 pm
I don't think restricting it to YOURCLUB members is an issue. It is right that the owners get a say and that is what the YOURCLUB members are aren't they for their £20 a year membership.
Yet come Boost The Budget, the club wants all fans to put money in, not just YOURCLUB members. Can't have it both ways. There are plenty of benefits YOURCLUB members get for their £25 (not £20). Don't see why a bulk of supporters need to be excluded from having a say on the home kit, which is perhaps the biggest expression of identity there is.

A fan-funded club which disenfranchises a chunk of its own supporters. Bit of a weird strategy if you ask me.

And as I've said before, there are many reasons why some supporters can't sign up to YOURCLUB.
lo36789 wrote:
Also makes it easy to administer through the poll option.
Club have managed perfectly well in the past, and are making the away kit vote open to all fans, so this logic is clearly rubbish.
lo36789 wrote:
See what comes out if it is only a kit design, and a bit of fun after all.
In English please??

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:20 pm

Not a huge fan of any of the options, but the sash gets my vote, something a bit different and quite a classic style as far as kits go.

As for the vote and who gets to vote, I can see why it's done that way and it's fine with me (I would say that, as I get a vote), but plenty of clubs don't allow their fans a vote on the kit at all, so even if it's a limited pool of voters it's still more of a fan-perk than many get.

I don't really get the drama people make around our kit and whether it's hoops or not, what brand it is etc. It's a year in our history. As long as it's black and white, and not vertical stripes, it's just another kit to look back on in years to come.

I just hope we get another superb away kit like we have this season!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:21 pm

Footifanreturns wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:11 pm

As far as I am aware they have copyright on the 3 stripes.
As we would probably be" Grandfathered " in with our 1967/68 design we would most likely win the case but the legal fees would be crippling to even suggest trying.
That how these multi million £ companies run rough shod over small entities.
We had this in the late 90s when we had 4 thin hoops on both the home and away shirt. The original plan was 3 hoops to replicate the 60s style but Adidas but the block on it, hence the 4th hoop being added.
Last edited by loan_star on Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Footifanreturns

Post by Footifanreturns » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:23 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:07 pm
Footifanreturns wrote:

Well Chuckles, once you've finished cackling your head off, would you mind answering two questions for me.

Firstly, where did I say it's just the younger fans who prefer hoops? Neither myself, nor anyone else has said that.

Secondly, where did I say the vote is rigged? I said it's loaded (and it clearly is) but that is different to rigging it.

🤣😂🤣😂
I looked again & I made no reference to you unless you see yourself as "the self appointed voice of the fans "
I know you seem to think this message board revolves around you and your postings. To be honest I tend to skip over your postings as in the past I have found them repetitive, argumentative & quite frankly boring.

Darlogramps

Home Kit Vote

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:47 pm

Footifanreturns wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:07 pm
Footifanreturns wrote:

I will put on my tin hat & watch with a smile as the " experts " deride my post...Image Don't you just love em lol

ImageImageImageImage
I looked again & I made no reference to you unless you see yourself as "the self appointed voice of the fans "
I know you seem to think this message board revolves around you and your postings. To be honest I tend to skip over your postings as in the past I have found them repetitive, argumentative & quite frankly boring.
Haway Chuckles, show more of a backbone than that. In your response you referred directly to arguments and points only I was making. Very clear who you were talking about, and don’t try to pretend otherwise. That’s just cowardly and childish.

So, can you answer 1) Where did I or anyone else say only young supporters prefer hoops?

2) Where did I or anyone else say the vote was “rigged”?
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:49 pm

Spyman wrote:
As for the vote and who gets to vote, I can see why it's done that way and it's fine with me (I would say that, as I get a vote), but plenty of clubs don't allow their fans a vote on the kit at all, so even if it's a limited pool of voters it's still more of a fan-perk than many get.
Difference is Darlington FC is fan-owned, and doesn’t limit its calls for funding to a limited group of supporters.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:53 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Difference is Darlington FC is fan-owned, and doesn’t limit its calls for funding to a limited group of supporters.
Yes, but Darlington FC doesn't ask it's fans to vote on absolutely everything. Why should fans being asked to donate money get to vote on the kit, but not the walk-on music?

Ultimately, people choose to donate to the club and it's funds because they want a club to be part of and to support. That's the 'perk'. Anything else is a nice extra.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:54 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:49 pm
Spyman wrote:
Gramps are you a fully paid up member of DFCSG ?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:58 pm

Spyman wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Yes, but Darlington FC doesn't ask it's fans to vote on absolutely everything. Why should fans being asked to donate money get to vote on the kit, but not the walk-on music?
Sorry but that’s a bad argument. As a fanbase we don’t expect a collective vote about the walk-on music. Nor is the walk-on music really a part of the club’s identity.

But it is established precedent that fans collectively can vote on the home kit. We’ve done that for years.
And a club’s home kit is about as big an expression of identity as you can get.

Now, mysteriously just as the club board is looking to move away from hoops, the people who can vote on it are restricted.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:06 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:58 pm
Spyman wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Sorry but that’s a bad argument. As a fanbase we don’t expect a collective vote about the walk-on music. Nor is the walk-on music really a part of the club’s identity.

But it is established precedent that fans collectively can vote on the home kit. We’ve done that for years.

Now, mysteriously just as the club board is looking to move away from hoops, the people who can vote on it are restricted.
They may have made the decision to restrict the vote to members in order to prevent any malicious voting. It's happened with other clubs in the past. I mean, if I was a Hartlepool fan I know which one I would vote for!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:18 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Spyman wrote:

Don't apologise - I tried to think of something comparable and really struggled to come up with a decent equivalent to voting for the kit Image

We could go full Ebbsfleet and vote on signings and formations?

DC