League restarts 6 February

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

jjljks
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: League restarts 6 February

Post by jjljks » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:49 pm

Bit surprised Blyth dropped off the list of signatures and also I had expected Checter to have signed up, given the statement from their CEO who seems to be exactly in line with DJ. Without the means for repayment or any security for a loan, those clubs have the future in mind. Chester are well in the hunt for promotion which may be the reason for their reticence in signing. National League management are out of touch with fans & clubs are very split, some with chairmen who can fund them and those that live in the real world.Whatever happens in the forthcoming meeting, we should all be very grateful to DJ for standing up for our club. :clap:

en passant

Post by en passant » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:32 pm

The way the wind appears to be blowing it may be that the majority of teams will opt to continue. Some believing that they will get a promotion to offset the debt, or, even more optimistically, that they will qualify for a loan. So what would happen to clubs that don't have rose-tinted spectacles? The League's attitude seems both unreasonable and bullish. Coercion to comply or suffer a severe penalty may be the options left, so could we live with the option to continue? The additional funds created by the cup runs may be able to carry us so far, but it may well be that we have already eaten into a good portion of that to get us through January, so we will probably be left with no way to fund the best part of the last three months of the season. Whilst we may then qualify for the emergency grants promised in the Government's plan it would not be a surprise for them to have some odd way of calculating these funds that may exclude us or put restrictions on the use of the grant. But then what would the grant actually be and would the Government, who do seem very reluctant to grant anything, want every penny accounted for, so that only a certain level of running cost would be allowed, with no additions possible? I ask this as it is quite possible that if we were forced into completing the season we may well find ourselves with such a dire fixture backlog that players breakdown and cannot play any further games, leaving us with an inability to field a team. If the terms of the grant, or even the strictures of a loan, are too onerous it may be impossible to remedy such a situation by recruiting any more players. It already seems that we would be at a disadvantage playing so many games in such a short period, but taking on these financial burdens may have additionally negative impact on our ability to properly compete on the field. Whilst it has always been possible that full time and privately funded teams start with an advantage in our league, it seems that these plans to continue will only emphasise that gulf between the haves and the have nots.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:08 am

Looks like Blyth was accidentally omitted from list as I found their own list on club website:-

"Without adequate and fair funding towards COVID testing and to offset against the loss of income, we are unable to uphold the integrity of the football pyramid and insist that the season is curtailed no later than Friday, February 5, to allow all clubs to be assessed for grants.

AFC Telford – Andy Pryce

Alfreton Town – Wayne Bradley

Bradford (Park Avenue) – Martin Knight

Blyth Spartans – Anthony Platten

Concord Rangers – Antony Smith

Curzon Ashton – Wayne Salkeld

Chippenham Town – Neil Blackmore

Darlington – David Johnston

Dulwich Hamlet – Ben Clasper

Farsley Celtic – Joshua Greaves

Gateshead – Neil Pinkerton

Guiseley – Gary Douglas

Hereford – Rob Crawford

Kettering Town – David Mahoney

Slough Town – Kay Lathey

Southport – Ian Kyle

Spennymoor Town – Tony Wilson

Posted in 1st Team, 1st Team News, Featured Tagged Blyth Spartans
Posted by Jordan Cronin"

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:12 am

We have overcome worse than this to maintain our 100% record, since 1883, of fulfilling all of our fixtures. Sometimes against great odds like in 2012. It's something I'm particularly proud of as a Darlo fan.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:39 am

wizardofos wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:12 am
We have overcome worse than this to maintain our 100% record, since 1883, of fulfilling all of our fixtures. Sometimes against great odds like in 2012. It's something I'm particularly proud of as a Darlo fan.
Worse than a global pandemic that has already killed over 100,000 people in this country!
Time to return to the yellow brick road.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:19 am

jjljks wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:08 am
Looks like Blyth was accidentally omitted from list as I found their own list on club website:-

"Without adequate and fair funding towards COVID testing and to offset against the loss of income, we are unable to uphold the integrity of the football pyramid and insist that the season is curtailed no later than Friday, February 5, to allow all clubs to be assessed for grants.

AFC Telford – Andy Pryce

Guiseley – Gary Douglas

Hereford – Rob Crawford

Slough Town – Kay Lathey

Southport – Ian Kyle

Posted by Jordan Cronin"
Definitely cracking up , I was sure Chester was the list when I first looked :crazy:
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:34 am

Old Git wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:39 am
wizardofos wrote:
Worse than a global pandemic that has already killed over 100,000 people in this country!
I was referring to the financial aspects, not the global pandemic through which we were playing until two weeks ago. It seems that we will play if there are grants available and funded testing. So, as ever, it’s money, not the pandemic. On that basis we have seen worse.

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:50 am

Old Git wrote:
wizardofos wrote:
On a geographical note, by the way, I believe the yellow brick road is in Oz. There aren't any in Os.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:01 am

wizardofos wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:34 am
Old Git wrote:
wizardofos wrote:
I was referring to the financial aspects, not the global pandemic through which we were playing until two weeks ago. It seems that we will play if there are grants available and funded testing. So, as ever, it’s money, not the pandemic. On that basis we have seen worse.
OK putting the pandemic aside it seems we are being asked to play on the basis of no crowds therefore no gate receipts. You are right money is the major issue here. The difference is two weeks ago we were still expecting the funding to be grants and not loans that is the crucial point. We will be storing up debt that ultimately we the fans will have to fund if we want to be competitive in future seasons.
I would be hopeful we could see the season out but is it worth it in the long run?

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:07 pm

poppyfield wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:19 am
jjljks wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:08 am

AFC Telford – Andy Pryce

Guiseley – Gary Douglas

Hereford – Rob Crawford

Slough Town – Kay Lathey

Southport – Ian Kyle

Posted by Jordan Cronin"
Definitely cracking up , I was sure Chester was the list when I first looked :crazy:

You aren't the only one, I thought Chester was there & from their club website their CEO seemed to say they would not risk fans/owners displeasure by taking the loan option. Jan 29 "Chester FC can confirm General Manager George Delves is to depart the club today after serving a short period of notice." Maybe not everything happy at that club?
Just seen that Wrexham have been told they won't be offered any money as they are Welsh!
Last edited by jjljks on Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:16 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:25 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:05 pm
There is an article on the BBC web page now. Apparently we will be asked to fill out a form and apply for a grant.

I wonder if clubs like York with cash in the bank will be successful- I wonder if we will be successful?
Then you have the issue of clubs being rejected? You don't need be a rocket scientist to see where this could potentially start going wrong when clubs are refused grants and then in turn refuse a loan, it'd be interesting to see what the criteria for each is.
I agree. I've written to Mr Gibson MP about this very point.

I don't live in Darlo so he doesn't have to reply - but you never know.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Footifanreturns

Post by Footifanreturns » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:17 pm

Glad Blyth Spartans were just an oversight on the list put out recently.
Strength in unity.
Of course as others have said.
I don't see why football clubs that would potentially be trading at a loss should be made to put into unwanted debt.

It's OK though, I had a dream the other night that I had won the lottery & funded a new stadium.
The only major problems with that was choosing the stadiums name & location.
My preference was for a central as possible brown field site, big enough to take a good size car park as well as my 8 - 10 thousand stadium, which could also be an income source.

I always thought that a railside site like Darlington College location would have been good location or back to a Darlington's early football ground roots near Chestnut St / Eastmount Rd the home of Darlington St Augustine's when they played in the early Northern League 1889 onwards.

Well I keep on dreaming , must remember to put the Lottery on too lol.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:51 pm

Footifanreturns wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:17 pm
Glad Blyth Spartans were just an oversight on the list put out recently.
Strength in unity.
Of course as others have said.
I don't see why football clubs that would potentially be trading at a loss should be made to put into unwanted debt.

It's OK though, I had a dream the other night that I had won the lottery & funded a new stadium.
The only major problems with that was choosing the stadiums name & location.
My preference was for a central as possible brown field site, big enough to take a good size car park as well as my 8 - 10 thousand stadium, which could also be an income source.

I always thought that a railside site like Darlington College location would have been good location or back to a Darlington's early football ground roots near Chestnut St / Eastmount Rd the home of Darlington St Augustine's when they played in the early Northern League 1889 onwards.

Well I keep on dreaming , must remember to put the Lottery on too lol.
Good call on the brown field site at Chestnut Street as it is a natural amphitheatre, lots of car parking, close to town centre and transport links, very few neighbours to object. I hope you do get lucky & win

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:22 pm

It just highlights how selfish some clubs are in completely ignoring the current situation and are happy to plough on with their own interests and ambitions instead of considering the integrity and fairness of the competition(s), of which the league are happy to go along with.

I think we should stick to our guns and not bow down (those club's that are supportive of the current concerns) to the league and other unsupportive clubs. They are the foolhardy ones not us.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:18 pm

Divide and conquer ! It's a bit OTT but imagine the league restarts and the government "promise" to get things sorted in 3 weeks.

3 weeks turns to 4 weeks. Some clubs get grants, some get loans - the rules get changed again - then what?
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:32 pm

I would want a written cast iron guarantee, before a ball was kicked, after all you cannot trust the national league management to honour a verbal agreement, that is why we are where we are regarding the funding, had they used the original funding correctly it may have stretched further,
As it was ment to replace lost turnstile revenues.

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:02 pm

More clubs are coming out with their position on what should happen now.

Interesting comments from Chesterfield CEO

'We are in favour of the season continuing and we will vote for that'

'A small group of players who do not feature in the manager's plans have now been placed on furlough'

Be interesting to see what happens if they pick up a few injuries - furlough the injured and bring back some of the others?

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:39 pm

Alfie wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:02 pm

'A small group of players who do not feature in the manager's plans have now been placed on furlough'

Be interesting to see what happens if they pick up a few injuries - furlough the injured and bring back some of the others?
If the league carries on no players should be furloughed injured or not.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:32 pm

DCSM ,have stated that no national leagues club would go to the wall, ya right.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:08 pm

onewayup wrote:DCSM ,have stated that no national leagues club would go to the wall, ya right.
Wouldn't trust them one bit, who would want to take that risk under the current climate.Sounds like a desperate statement to me.Do they honestly think that club chairmen will be swayed by that....pathetic.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:10 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:39 pm
Alfie wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:02 pm

If the league carries on no players should be furloughed injured or not.
Thats shocking by chesterfield and im suprised its even legal. I thought contracted players could only be placed on furlough if a league had shut down not for players surplus to requirements who will be gone by the end of the season anyway. The tax payer should not have to carry the can for a team signing too many players
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:40 pm

Looking at the National League website there is a report from BBC Sport and it seems there is set to be vote tomorrow on whether to end the season or not. There will be two votes,one for the NL and one for the NLN and NLS so it would seem possible that the NL could continue and the NLN and NLS could cease.
I see Chorley are pressing for the League to continue but of course they are in an uniquely fortunate position due to their FA Cup run.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:22 pm

https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss/statu ... 92650?s=20

Looking at the above there seems to be a large consensus in favour of curtailing the season in the NLN my biggest fear should it continue those clubs who are opposed to carrying on by way of taking on a loan would likely only have two options accept it by default or resign.

It's a massive week ahead for a lot of clubs and I do not envy the position of many chairman and directors, hopefully commonsense will prevail.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:16 pm

So am I right in assuming that if, say 80% of NLN teams vote to end the season and 100% of NLS clubs vote to continue, both leagues will continue? My percentages are hypothetical, but you will get the point.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:18 pm

dsr wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:16 pm
So am I right in assuming that if, say 80% of NLN teams vote to end the season and 100% of NLS clubs vote to continue, both leagues will continue? My percentages are hypothetical, but you will get the point.

I don't think anyone knows, this situation is new to all concerned - but how could you have a league where the majority of clubs don't want to play, and on top of that how could the south continue if the north doesn't ? That would look really bad, you know with Boris's levelling up agenda :crazy:
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:44 pm

According to Ollie Bayliss, the majority required to curtail Step 1 is 12 clubs and the majority required to curtail Step 2 is 22 clubs from both the NLN & NLS.

However, as has been mentioned above, you’re potentially looking at an imbalance in votes in the NLN & NLS.

Hypothetically, and if the above is true, you could have 15 clubs (almost 70%) of the NLN voting to null & void but not obtain the majority vote if this option is not supported by 7 or more NLS clubs.

en passant

Post by en passant » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:34 am

I can see this ending up in a complete mess, where the vote is about as decisive as a Brexit referendum, and has much the same consequences. Anyone fancy 4 years of arguing what to do next?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:59 am

Looking at the responses Ollie Bayliss has published.

If the vote is loans or curtail. Then 14 in NLN would vote to curtail along with 5 in NLS - 19 in total.

Wouldn't surprise me if Billericay, Bath and Braintree voted to curtail mind which would give the majority.
Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:44 pm
Hypothetically, and if the above is true, you could have 15 clubs (almost 70%) of the NLN voting to null & void but not obtain the majority vote if this option is not supported by 7 or more NLS clubs.
The converse of this is the NLS season could get curtailed with nearly 70% voting to carry on.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:29 am

Have I seen the idea of another 4 week delay being knocked about? This would enable the situation in the country to get better and any funding issues to be properly sorted.

It seems that clubs yet again are being forced to vote without any real understanding of the finer detail.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:42 am

lo36789 wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:59 am
Looking at the responses Ollie Bayliss has published.

If the vote is loans or curtail. Then 14 in NLN would vote to curtail along with 5 in NLS - 19 in total.

Wouldn't surprise me if Billericay, Bath and Braintree voted to curtail mind which would give the majority.
Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:44 pm
The converse of this is the NLS season could get curtailed with nearly 70% voting to carry on.
Imagine the NL carried on and NLN/S didnt then there would be no relegation for NL sides? Or NL voted to stop but NLN/S voted to carry on, would winning teams be voted straight into EL2? It is never going to work out satisfactorily and will cause arguments for years over grants to badly financially managed clubs and loans to those who spent wisely or managed budgets. On top of this how does AA motivate the boys for a Fa trophy game that is likely meaningless ? It is doing my head in how absolutely screwed this league is