Wealdstone match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Wealdstone match thread

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:14 pm

Absolutely all over them at the moment.

2-0 up inside 14 minutes. Own goal and Rivers.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Vodka_Vic

Re: Wealdstone match thread

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:35 pm

So close to 3.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:36 pm

Well on top, not sure how we haven't scored more.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:24 pm

Well, we have now, 3-1!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:34 pm

Pretty bad injury for Charman by the looks of things.

Four players so far have gone off injured today, three for us - McMahon, Maguire and Charman.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:12 pm

By all that was happening looked like a dislocated kneecap, and at worst a Sam Muggleton type injury.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:18 pm

Again injuries take the shine off what would otherwise have been a great day. Hope Charman's is not as bad as it looked. Great coverage from QTV &DFR. Roll on Monday's draw. :roll:

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:21 pm

Great team performance everybody did their job today. Special mention for Storey Wheatley and Rivers who were all excellent and Sousa for a brilliant individual goal. Also thought the Charman and Maguire partnership up front was looking good until both off injured.
What is it with the Blackwell Meadows injury jinx ? Holmes twice Trotman Hunt Laing and now Charman. Also there was Sam Muggleton a couple of years ago. That is seven bad injuries in two years all at home. Not blaming the pitch just think it is really bad luck.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:24 pm

You forgot Wilson Kneeshaw.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:28 pm

Hopefully we get another home draw as don't want to trek to Torquay! Well done to all & fingers crossed these injuries are not as bad as they first appear
Last edited by jjljks on Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:28 pm

Well if that happens to be our last match of the season then it was a great sign off. Everyone played well and we made another team from division above look poor.
Storey has made a big difference in defence and and Rivers saves his best for cup matches.
Hope Charman is not as bad as it looks as he looks a class act at this level if he can get a run of games.
Interesting scenario now to play out if we want the season to be stopped, which I still think is right, as surely we cannot just play cup matches! Can we.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:32 pm

Played really well today, could easily have been 7 or 8, not a single weakness and a great team performance.We must be the unluckiest team in the league with all these injuries, gutted for Charman as he was getting better the longer the game went on and showed what he’s all about.Fingers crossed it is not as serious as it looked.

Into the draw on Monday and anyone at home will do.Some very winnable teams in there and having beaten 2 NL teams confidence must be pretty high.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:39 pm

Woking, Torquay, Notts Co, Oxford City, Hereford, Hornchurch, and Aldershot/Chesterfield in the quarter finals.

Hornchurch at home would be ideal (providing the season is still going at that point).

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:39 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:24 pm
You forgot Wilson Kneeshaw.
Sorry that makes 8. Fortunately we don’t seem to suffer the same bad luck away. Hope Charmans’s injury not too bad but didn’t look good. Even if we don’t play again until August we could have three players in Holmes Laing and Charman who could be struggling to be fit.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:24 pm

I’m confused if we have decided not to play in league due to grants/loans/Covid how can we say we will continue in the Trophy?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:35 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:24 pm
I’m confused if we have decided not to play in league due to grants/loans/Covid how can we say we will continue in the Trophy?
We haven't decided not to play in the league.

We have been asked by the league to vote on whether the league season should be null and voided and have voted in favour of that outcome.

This has been said to you multiple times in another thread, by multiple people but you keep asking the question over and over again.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:31 pm

Well if that’s our last game of the season we can be proud to have gone out on a high. Last 2 games we’ve played really well in that 4-4-2, lots of structure without the ball and more direct with it. Lots to build on and great to get £6k in the back and at least whatever the losers fee is in the next round.

Thought Storey, Wheatley, Rivers and Charman were all exemplary today. Didn’t think anything would beat Charman’s effort for goal of the day but Sousa’s solo effort late on really gave it a run. Hope Charman isn’t out for long he’s looking a really exciting prospect.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:06 pm

Fortunately it appears Luke Charman’s injury may not be as bad as feared. He apparently has suffered a medial collateral ligament injury that will keep him out for several weeks but not a really long term injury. Hope that diagnosis is right and he will recover soon.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:59 pm

We've struggled sometimes this season when teams have packed their defences and done their homework and concentrated on trying to snuff out players like Sousa, Rivers and Charman. Wealdstone didn't do that and paid the price.

We were probably under the radar for them, especially with being in a lowly league position. Our cup record this season has been fantastic and I believe that we probably would have troubled the judges eventually at the right end of the table. This can be a very exciting team to watch going forward and to limit two NL team to scraps shows the defence can also be a really effective unit.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:12 pm

Such a shame we’ve all had to miss these cup exploits. :cry:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:54 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Such a shame we’ve all had to miss these cup exploits. :cry:
If we can make the final, isn’t it scheduled for June, if so fans may possibly be allowed in with certain restrictions so you never know.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:59 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:59 pm
We've struggled sometimes this season when teams have packed their defences and done their homework and concentrated on trying to snuff out players like Sousa, Rivers and Charman. Wealdstone didn't do that and paid the price.

We were probably under the radar for them, especially with being in a lowly league position. Our cup record this season has been fantastic and I believe that we probably would have troubled the judges eventually at the right end of the table. This can be a very exciting team to watch going forward and to limit two NL team to scraps shows the defence can also be a really effective unit.
To be fair imagine it will have been quite hard for them to scout us - we havn't played since we were drawn to play each other.

Darlogramps

Wealdstone match thread

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:04 am

lo36789 wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:59 pm

To be fair imagine it will have been quite hard for them to scout us - we havn't played since we were drawn to play each other.
Not quite how scouting works.

It’s not exactly a secret that packing the defence causes us problems at home. Sides have been playing like that against us with success all season.

Any half decent scout or coach should be able to find that out with a little research. I’d be a bit surprised if the Wealdstone scout said: “Well they haven’t played for a fortnight, no idea what to expect. We’ll just have to go into this blind.”

Wealdstone clearly play a quite open style and don’t want to change that. Which is fine and it’s taken them up to the National League. Evidently not the right tactics this afternoon though.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:59 am

Makes you wonder why scouts turn up to see future opposition at all if there is no value in it - seems an almighty waste of money. I do agree / accept it is only part of the equation mind, given I have access to the full 90 minutes of every match played this season from PL down to NLN/S the clubs will too.

I don't think we were under their radar. I think there are a number of factors ie. short notice to have a specific game plan, being part time, still having to prepare for NL games, signing two new defender in the past 5 days.

When you are above the relegation zone on goal difference, and scheduled to play the league leaders in three days there will be competing priorities

That said I think you are over simplifying mind. It isn't much of a secret that packing the defence against anybody makes it more difficult for the other side. The question of scouting is more around the identification of specific patterns of play that you can a) nullify and b) exploit.

I would actually suggest, beyond just "packing the defence", the teams who have been most successful against us have been those to put special attention on Sousa, have challenged our GK with high balls, have tried to put our CB under pressure quickly particularly with high balls over the top, have tried to play Charman so his back is to goal and those who have avoided holding onto the ball in the centre of midfield.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:26 am

Can I ask lo36789 to delete the last paragraph so any opposition scout has to actually do some work in order for his team to have the key to beating us?

divas

Post by divas » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:54 am

The first goal was massive for us yesterday, as it has been been all season. The stats when we conceded first versus score first couldn’t be any more black and white

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:32 am

lo36789 wrote:Makes you wonder why scouts turn up to see future opposition at all if there is no value in it - seems an almighty waste of money. I do agree / accept it is only part of the equation mind, given I have access to the full 90 minutes of every match played this season from PL down to NLN/S the clubs will too.

I don't think we were under their radar. I think there are a number of factors ie. short notice to have a specific game plan, being part time, still having to prepare for NL games, signing two new defender in the past 5 days.

When you are above the relegation zone on goal difference, and scheduled to play the league leaders in three days there will be competing priorities

That said I think you are over simplifying mind. It isn't much of a secret that packing the defence against anybody makes it more difficult for the other side. The question of scouting is more around the identification of specific patterns of play that you can a) nullify and b) exploit.

I would actually suggest, beyond just "packing the defence", the teams who have been most successful against us have been those to put special attention on Sousa, have challenged our GK with high balls, have tried to put our CB under pressure quickly particularly with high balls over the top, have tried to play Charman so his back is to goal and those who have avoided holding onto the ball in the centre of midfield.
Right, I’m going to nip this in the bud now because there’s potential for this to become another silly argument.

The initial point you made: “We hadn’t played in two weeks so it was hard for Wealdstone to scout us” was a badly-thought through one.

Wealdstone could get videos of us, speak to other clubs and contacts, research our playing styles etc. It’s not hard to work out which style of play we find most difficult. That’s the only point I was making.

Yes, I oversimplified, for the sake of brevity to make my point. It’s called paraphrasing. Everyone does the same every day to prevent typing out multi-page essays every time we write something.

The point was about scouting so I didn’t need to go into a full tactical breakdown of Darlington FC. Everyone knew what I meant. Indeed you knew what I meant, but are simply being pedantic to avoid admitting you made a bad comment.

The initial point you made was a badly-thought through one and reductive. And that’s fine, no one is perfect. We all make mistakes and say rubbish from time-to-time.

All you needed to do was admit that. Hold your hands up and say: “Yeah, fair point” and we move on. There’s no need to have a long, tedious, passive aggressive argument where everyone loses the will to live.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:53 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:Such a shame we’ve all had to miss these cup exploits. :cry:
If we can make the final, isn’t it scheduled for June, if so fans may possibly be allowed in with certain restrictions so you never know.

Have they scheduled last years final yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earl_Lee_Dawes

Post by Earl_Lee_Dawes » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:57 am

I don't think they have set a date for last year's final. Might need to hold them both on the same day - two for the price of one!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:00 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:32 am
lo36789 wrote:Makes you wonder why scouts turn up to see future opposition at all if there is no value in it - seems an almighty waste of money. I do agree / accept it is only part of the equation mind, given I have access to the full 90 minutes of every match played this season from PL down to NLN/S the clubs will too.

Right, I’m going to nip this in the bud now because there’s potential for this to become another silly argument.

The initial point you made: “We hadn’t played in two weeks so it was hard for Wealdstone to scout us” was a badly-thought through one.

Wealdstone could get videos of us, speak to other clubs and contacts, research our playing styles etc. It’s not hard to work out which style of play we find most difficult. That’s the only point I was making.

Yes, I oversimplified, for the sake of brevity to make my point. It’s called paraphrasing. Everyone does the same every day to prevent typing out multi-page essays every time we write something.

The point was about scouting so I didn’t need to go into a full tactical breakdown of Darlington FC. Everyone knew what I meant. Indeed you knew what I meant, but are simply being pedantic to avoid admitting you made a bad comment.

The initial point you made was a badly-thought through one and reductive. And that’s fine, no one is perfect. We all make mistakes and say rubbish from time-to-time.

All you needed to do was admit that. Hold your hands up and say: “Yeah, fair point” and we move on. There’s no need to have a long, tedious, passive aggressive argument where everyone loses the will to live.
Funny thing is Gramps you always seem to be part of these long tedious arguments.