Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

jjljks
Posts: 2191
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by jjljks » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:02 pm

Had a quick look to see what Harriers opinion of the current situation is and their CEO seems fairly aligned with DJ, but not clear whether they would continue to play or not until the result of the NL voting is announced.
"In short, with two thirds of the season still to play, we will be asked to effectively buy a house without seeing it first. As a Board and a Club, we find that very difficult to accept.”
Very good analogy with buying a house unseen. Kidderminster have not played since Jan 09th, losing away to Gloucester City, but their website still showing us as their next opposition, however some snow and very cold nights forecast between now & Saturday which would put the game in doubt anyway. Add in the travel factor and if they were to do a pitch inspection, this would have to be very early Saturday to give us time to cancel plans.

Old Git
Posts: 956
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by Old Git » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:27 pm

BBC weather forecast is -5 for Kidderminster tonight and remaining cold until Saturday. Would think if the pitch is not covered tonight it might not be playable on Saturday.
Likely to be much milder next week which may mean our home game with want to play Boston could be crunch time for us unless a decision has been reached by then.

User avatar
dfc4me
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:03 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by dfc4me » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:12 pm

Maybe they should just forget to put the covers on then nobody would have to make a decision

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4942
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:21 pm

It would be Boston wouldn't it. Dirty Boston.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

Old Git
Posts: 956
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by Old Git » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:00 pm

If Saturdays game does go ahead we will face a selection dilemma up front. With Tyrone back at Boro and Charman and Maguire injured we now look very thin on attacking options. Presumably Campbell would likely start and Reid could possibly play alongside him. Rhys Armstrong is the only other striker on the books as far as I am aware. Wonder if South Shields have a striker they could loan to us if necessary?

LoidLucan
Posts: 3463
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:14 pm

Kidderminster say they are confident the game will go ahead despite the big freeze and their players can't wait to get back into action.

Old Git
Posts: 956
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by Old Git » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:21 pm

It was stated on another thread that Southport were given until 12 noon today to inform the NL whether they intend to play or not tomorrow. Presumably the same thing will apply to other clubs so as I can see no official announcement on our website I assume our game at Kidderminster will go ahead weather permitting.

Alfie
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 8:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Eye, Suffolk

Re: Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by Alfie » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:26 pm

Looks like we will be playing, even if reluctantly, subject to the weather.

Do you think if we didn't have the Trophy game looming we might have joined the non-playing clubs?

LoidLucan
Posts: 3463
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:00 pm

Looks like we are being pushed into playing under duress, with threats of fines and expulsion, until the result of the vote is known. What a terrible position to be forced into while trying to protect our club. It's an absolute scandal and shameful on the part of the NL board.

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5805
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:25 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:00 pm
Looks like we are being pushed into playing under duress, with threats of fines and expulsion, until the result of the vote is known. What a terrible position to be forced into while trying to protect our club. It's an absolute scandal and shameful on the part of the NL board.
Yep, that's how it looks on the other clubs.

The league board are breaking any relationship with it's member clubs. Why give 28 days for votes when they know clubs are in a challenges position.

onewayup
Posts: 2093
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by onewayup » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:36 pm

Because they as the national league management believe they are right and everyone else is wrong, even though they have been proven to be wrong.it just getting messier by every sanction letter sent out to clubs who are trying to survive, rules broken by the national league management brushed off, even though those rules are determining the decisions made by the clubs under their jurisdiction.
Absolutely madness,

User avatar
dfc4me
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:03 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by dfc4me » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:41 pm

I do wonder if the only reason we are playing league matches is because we want to continue in the trophy and it would look really bad to play one and not the other.

onewayup
Posts: 2093
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by onewayup » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:47 pm

No. the reason for continuing in the FA trophy is that it's run by The F A. Not the national league. Thank heaven.

lo36789
Posts: 9314
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by lo36789 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:56 pm

onewayup wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:47 pm
No. the reason for continuing in the FA trophy is that it's run by The F A. Not the national league. Thank heaven.
I'm not sure who runs the competition has any bearing. The FA aren't providing testing or funding either - not explicitly.

The reason we are continuing in the Trophy is because the Trophy to some extent cuts the losses, which enables us to pay for / facilitate testing.

My opinion
Posts: 607
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by My opinion » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:34 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:56 pm
onewayup wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:47 pm
No. the reason for continuing in the FA trophy is that it's run by The F A. Not the national league. Thank heaven.
I'm not sure who runs the competition has any bearing. The FA aren't providing testing or funding either - not explicitly.

The reason we are continuing in the Trophy is because the Trophy to some extent cuts the losses, which enables us to pay for / facilitate testing.
Is it? That's a genuine question as I don't know.
If as has been reported we lost £50000 in January. The £6000 prize money plus streaming etc will not go very far compared to putting the players and staff onto furlough.

lo36789
Posts: 9314
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by lo36789 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:49 pm

Well I don't think we are choosing which competition to play in because if who the competition administrators are.

As I say it cuts the losses - whereas playing NL games only exacerbates them.

Alfie
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 8:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Eye, Suffolk

Re: Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by Alfie » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:53 pm

Game off.

Would have decided sooner but had to wait for a rep from York to get there.

Darlopartisan
Posts: 1008
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:34 pm

Looks like all the games are off in our league for one reason or another

H1987
Posts: 1795
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by H1987 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:45 pm

Can kicked down the road for a few more days I suppose.

Old Git
Posts: 956
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by Old Git » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:10 pm

How much longer is it going to take for the NL to announce the results of the vote?
Wonder if some teams are deliberately holding back to try to force matches to be played. If so the weather is not helping their cause but we can’t rely on that for much longer. In the meantime we are continuing to pay wages and presumably using up precious financial resources.

lo36789
Posts: 9314
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by lo36789 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:13 pm

Old Git wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:10 pm
How much longer is it going to take for the NL to announce the results of the vote?
Until all the votes are counted, the 28 days elapses or until the vote outcome is guaranteed.

H1987
Posts: 1795
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by H1987 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:40 pm

I really fail to see what is taking them so long. How hard is it? There aren't that many clubs. I'd have thought most of them have made a public announcement on the matter, so the hold up is either incompetence or, I suspect, backpedalling behind the scenes.

I've actually lost track of what has and hasn't been said by who at this point. Have we said anywhere, categorically, that we will not play if no grants are forthcoming? I'd really rather we showed some solidarity with the other clubs at this stage than try to eek the season out using whatever we might have made from the trophy and fa cup runs. If that means we have to drop out of the trophy, it's a shame but that's life.

Darlo Dodger
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:50 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by Darlo Dodger » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:56 pm

Harriers manager Russ Penn said: “You couldn’t write it… we’ve planned all week to face a good Darlington team tomorrow. It’s the sensible decision but… in the last six weeks, we’ve had three games where we’ve had to cancel the day before because of the weather.

“Disappointing is an understatement but we’ll dust ourselves off and prepare for Guiseley because, with all the unknown at the moment, that’s all we can do.”

https://www.nesportnews.co.uk/match-off ... TQt0Tn6IGg

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4942
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:42 pm

H1987 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:40 pm
I really fail to see what is taking them so long. How hard is it? There aren't that many clubs. I'd have thought most of them have made a public announcement on the matter, so the hold up is either incompetence or, I suspect, backpedalling behind the scenes.

I've actually lost track of what has and hasn't been said by who at this point. Have we said anywhere, categorically, that we will not play if no grants are forthcoming? I'd really rather we showed some solidarity with the other clubs at this stage than try to eek the season out using whatever we might have made from the trophy and fa cup runs. If that means we have to drop out of the trophy, it's a shame but that's life.
The answer to that is yes. D.J has said that If the vote is to play on we will have to drop out but there might be a possibility to remain in the cup.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

H1987
Posts: 1795
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by H1987 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:58 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:42 pm
H1987 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:40 pm
I really fail to see what is taking them so long. How hard is it? There aren't that many clubs. I'd have thought most of them have made a public announcement on the matter, so the hold up is either incompetence or, I suspect, backpedalling behind the scenes.

I've actually lost track of what has and hasn't been said by who at this point. Have we said anywhere, categorically, that we will not play if no grants are forthcoming? I'd really rather we showed some solidarity with the other clubs at this stage than try to eek the season out using whatever we might have made from the trophy and fa cup runs. If that means we have to drop out of the trophy, it's a shame but that's life.
The answer to that is yes. D.J has said that If the vote is to play on we will have to drop out but there might be a possibility to remain in the cup.
I can see how it works in terms of league rules, as there are different bodies officiating the competitions, but how does that stack up financially? Surely that means we can't furlough anyone while we are in the cup? I see how you can *maybe* justify eeking it out until the Hornchurch game... but what if we win? The next game isn't for a month. Are we going to pay the entire squad's wages for a month to play one game? (I'm curious how Hornchurch are managing all of this, as it seems they haven't played a league game since the first week of December).

Darlofan97
Posts: 4667
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:34 am

Yes, you can furlough players/management, bring them back off furlough, and then place them on the scheme again.

However, I do not believe that players/management are permitted to carry out training sessions whilst on the scheme, so any use of furlough would have to be timed appropriately.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4942
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:38 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:34 am
Yes, you can furlough players/management, bring them back off furlough, and then place them on the scheme again.

However, I do not believe that players/management are permitted to carry out training sessions whilst on the scheme, so any use of furlough would have to be timed appropriately.
This is how I see it too. I think Marine did it in the FA cup and I think they might have been allowed to train for a day or two before their big game. Also if we get the chance to do this we may find ourselves playing someone who is also doing it. We need to beat Hornchurch first though.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

darlobaz791
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by darlobaz791 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:43 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:34 am
Yes, you can furlough players/management, bring them back off furlough, and then place them on the scheme again.

However, I do not believe that players/management are permitted to carry out training sessions whilst on the scheme, so any use of furlough would have to be timed appropriately.
This. It’s called the Flexible Furlough scheme. In short at the end of the month you enter how many hours were NOT worked by the employees and get 80% of that back from the Government but the employees cannot work or volunteer to work for you in that period.

So we could furlough the player should the league be N and V and ask them to come in for a week before the Hornchurch game.

jjljks
Posts: 2191
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by jjljks » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:12 am

Think we should get down to BM, shovelling snow onto the pitch then cover it to ensure our next NLN game v Boston is postponed due to frozen pitch.🤭

Darlofan97
Posts: 4667
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Kidderminster Harriers 13th Feb

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:58 am

darlobaz791 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:43 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:34 am
Yes, you can furlough players/management, bring them back off furlough, and then place them on the scheme again.

However, I do not believe that players/management are permitted to carry out training sessions whilst on the scheme, so any use of furlough would have to be timed appropriately.
This. It’s called the Flexible Furlough scheme. In short at the end of the month you enter how many hours were NOT worked by the employees and get 80% of that back from the Government but the employees cannot work or volunteer to work for you in that period.

So we could furlough the player should the league be N and V and ask them to come in for a week before the Hornchurch game.
Exactly.

However, I think the club will play the Boston (H) match this Tuesday & Fylde (H) on Saturday, unless the season is null & voided before then.

If, or when, the season is N&V, then I expect the players to be furloughed and brought back/put back on furlough if we progress throughout the FA Trophy.

The worst-case scenario is if N&V for Step 2 does not obtain the majority vote and we are then forced to play-on. If that occurs then I think we will furlough all players & management and refuse to fulfil our league fixtures, along with a number of other Step 2 clubs.

Post Reply