Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by poppyfield » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:02 am

Really looking forward to this match, not least because of all the mess the league has created over the past few months, a time now just to concentrate on the football.
Anyone know how our injured players are getting on? Hopefully Magurie and McMahon are going to be fit.
Had a look at Hornchurch playing against Maidstone, looked a tidy side, video below.

https://www.hornchurchfc.com/media-centre/videos/
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

banktopp

Re: Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by banktopp » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:58 am

poppyfield wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:02 am
Really looking forward to this match, not least because of all the mess the league has created over the past few months, a time now just to concentrate on the football.
Anyone know how our injured players are getting on? Hopefully Magurie and McMahon are going to be fit.
Had a look at Hornchurch playing against Maidstone, looked a tidy side, video below.

https://www.hornchurchfc.com/media-centre/videos/
Sam Higgins who scored Hornchurch's third goal does remind me of Liam Hughes.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:50 pm

I wouldn't describe Hornchurch as a 'tidy side'. I thought the defending by both teams was calamitous at times. I think if Alun Armstrong watched that video he would be quite encouraged.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:51 pm

Pleased we are at home after listening to the commentary for their game against Maidstone.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:36 pm

Hornchurch manager Mark Stimson won the Trophy as a player.

Then won it 3 years running as a manager with Grays & Stevenage.

Not surprising they have had a decent run in Trophy, he like Alun Armstrong can obviously get sides up for big cup games

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:56 am

Hopefully the lads will be training Tuesday and Thursday night’s to get them ready for Saturday

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:52 pm

Understand Premier league West Ham owner is funding their stay in Darlington on Friday night to better prepare which is generous of them. I would like to see Hedley keep his place ahead of Mcmahon and keep Omar in from the start

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:14 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:52 pm
Understand Premier league West Ham owner is funding their stay in Darlington on Friday night to better prepare which is generous of them. I would like to see Hedley keep his place ahead of Mcmahon and keep Omar in from the start
Sullivan has donated £500 to the costs

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/202 ... ch-hammers

127 donors to the appeal

tezza

Post by tezza » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:21 pm

Should we be good enough to reach the final and the Government Covid-19 escape plan hold water, then a real possibility fans will be watching live at Wembley.

Marv

Post by Marv » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:47 pm

That would be awesome! C'mon Darlo. 2 more wins

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:29 pm

tezza wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:21 pm
Should we be good enough to reach the final and the Government Covid-19 escape plan hold water, then a real possibility fans will be watching live at Wembley.
At present final is on 6 May, but fans not allowed back until 17 May

I wonder if these dates will change. The Trophy Finals seem to be good opportunities for test events for future bigger events at Wembley

tezza

Post by tezza » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:38 pm

Scheduled 8th May, however as last seasons final is still outstanding it remains likely this seasons final will be delayed.

either way it will not affect you

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:44 pm

tezza wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:38 pm
Scheduled 8th May, however as last seasons final is still outstanding it remains likely this seasons final will be delayed.

Really? As I go to the Final every year fans are allowed I think it will

tezza

Post by tezza » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:50 pm

In that case let us both keep our fingers crossed we are there .. and there is a delay

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:54 pm

tezza wrote:Scheduled 8th May, however as last seasons final is still outstanding it remains likely this seasons final will be delayed.

Has that been said anywhere official?

I’d hope they would try and push it back so fans could attend, although I suspect that’s unlikely given they’ll need to hand it over for the Euros at the end of May, and there’s still the FA Cup final and various play-off finals to be held there.

I’d think the best we can hope for is Non-League Finals Day is a test event.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

bga

Post by bga » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:12 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:54 pm
tezza wrote:Scheduled 8th May, however as last seasons final is still outstanding it remains likely this seasons final will be delayed.

I’d hope they would try and push it back so fans could attend, although I suspect that’s unlikely given they’ll need to hand it over for the Euros at the end of May, and there’s still the FA Cup final and various play-off finals to be held there.

I am confused (not hard at my age!) Do you mean National League play off final i.e the one game?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:15 pm

Non-League Finals Day is the FA Trophy and FA Vase finals which happen on the same day.

Championship/League One/League Two play-off finals take up the last weekend in May.

The FA Cup final is on the 15th (although again it wouldn’t surprise me to see a rejig to try and get fans to that). Or that too could be a test event.

So if you want fans in, there’s only one weekend (22nd/23rd). Not sure if Wembley is available that weekend anyway.

darlobaz791

Post by darlobaz791 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:21 pm

Darlogramps wrote:

As I understand it last years and this years finals days may be used as ‘test events’ therefore can happen before the 17th May with fans.

bga

Post by bga » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:29 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:15 pm
Non-League Finals Day is the FA Trophy and FA Vase finals which happen on the same day.

Championship/League One/League Two play-off finals take up the last weekend in May.

The FA Cup final is on the 15th (although again it wouldn’t surprise me to see a rejig to try and get fans to that). Or that too could be a test event.

So if you want fans in, there’s only one weekend (22nd/23rd). Not sure if Wembley is available that weekend anyway.
Thanks for Clarifying I told you I got confused easily!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:30 pm

darlobaz791 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

As I understand it last years and this years finals days may be used as ‘test events’ therefore can happen before the 17th May with fans.
Yeah I think that’s probably the only way there would be fans.

Can’t see there being a delay until after the 17th if I’m honest, but who knows.

Got two more matches to win before we can think about trips to Wembley.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:12 pm

Yes, let's take it one match at a time. Hopefully AA will have a decent number of players available as the pitch will be fairly heavy & rotating in players from the bench will be vital. Any news on those recovering from injury?

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:39 pm

Going to be a bumper 50/50 for this match :thumbup:

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:26 pm

Positive news from NESN interview with Danny O'connor. Looks like Maguire will be fit to play atleast some part at the weekend.

Guess the big question is whether to stick or twist with the 4-4-2 that worked against Weymouth and Wealdstone if we don't have Charman to play in the forward line. Plenty of mobility if we played Maguire and Campbell and plenty of pace down the channels and in behind. Or potentially a move to 4-3-3 and bring in Holness to play more advanced of the midfield 3.

Rest of the team is fairly easy to pick. Not sure if McMahon will be 100% fit. But Hedley is an able replacement if not. Think I'd be tempted to keep two strikers and go with:

--‐------------------------ Saltmer ---------------------------
Hedley -------- Hunt --------- Storey ------- Liddle
Sousa -------- Hatfield --- Wheatley ----- Rivers
--------------- Campbell --- Maguire ------------------

Subs: Watson, Holness, Reid, Atkinson, Hudson

darlobaz791

Post by darlobaz791 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:46 pm

4-3-3 for me with Holness in for Campbell. Rivers, Sousa and Maguire up top

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:56 pm

JE93 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:26 pm
Positive news from NESN interview with Danny O'connor. Looks like Maguire will be fit to play atleast some part at the weekend.

Guess the big question is whether to stick or twist with the 4-4-2 that worked against Weymouth and Wealdstone if we don't have Charman to play in the forward line. Plenty of mobility if we played Maguire and Campbell and plenty of pace down the channels and in behind. Or potentially a move to 4-3-3 and bring in Holness to play more advanced of the midfield 3.

Rest of the team is fairly easy to pick. Not sure if McMahon will be 100% fit. But Hedley is an able replacement if not. Think I'd be tempted to keep two strikers and go with:

--‐------------------------ Saltmer ---------------------------
Hedley -------- Hunt --------- Storey ------- Liddle
Sousa -------- Hatfield --- Wheatley ----- Rivers
--------------- Campbell --- Maguire ------------------

Subs: Watson, Holness, Reid, Atkinson, Hudson

I’d go with that team unless McMahon is fit , if he is he starts before Hedley for me

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:04 am

Should be a cracking game as whoever loses season over, no "we can now concentrate on the league" remarks. A few dry days now to improve the pitch and hopefully we stay injury free.
If Mcmahon fit still believe Hedley should be in the starting line up as defensively he is better and roll on Saturday

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:03 pm

We signed a Boro keeper for Saturday

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:27 pm

Darlington are bringing in goalkeeper Sol Brynn from Middlesbrough in time for Saturday’s FA Trophy quarter-final against Hornchurch.

The 20-year-old will sign on loan as usual No. 1 Johnny Saltmer has sustained an injury.

On January 20th Darlington signed goalkeeper Myles Boney on loan for a month from South Shields (as well as midfielder Nathan Lowe), but he had played in the Trophy already this season, and the league campaign is now over.

Middlesbrough-born Brynn is a player Armstrong has tried to sign before, but he suffered an injury just before a previous loan deal was arranged.

He has been with Boro’s Academy since 2009, and last season was on the bench for the club’s FA Cup ties against Tottenham Hotspur.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:40 pm

Some loan signing this, looks like he will be playing on Saturday if Saltmer is carrying a knock.Not sure of the rules but a bit surprised we can bring someone in this soon before the game.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:48 pm

Could be wrong but aren't goalkeepers a sort of special case if yours sustains injury.